The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally posted by holly*anja@May 18th, 2004 - 7:18 pm
This may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say - I ADMIRE Alexandra for recycling gowns and suits, etc. The role of the modern monarchy has to walk a very fine line and spending extravagant amounts of money on fashion is just not socially responsible, something that we Scandinavians tend to pride ourselves on. Why should she be expected to wear a new dress to every gala? While I admit that it's certainly more fun for us royal watchers to see new outfits, it's much more admirable and responsible of the royal families to not indulge us!
And I think that if you wear evening gowns to events far enough events it is less noticable, or if you wear them to not major events it is not disappointing fashion wise.

For example, it would've been very disappointing if Alexandra had chosen to recycle an evening gown for Frederik and Mary's wedding. Not that she should try to upstage Mary on that day, but a new dress as the one she wore was a nice treat. And not for her to wear that same dress to say the next state visit hosted by Denmark if it is in June. But maybe if she wore it in the fall that wouldn't be bad. And quite responsible as holly*anja suggested.
__________________

__________________
  #122  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally posted by holly*anja@May 18th, 2004 - 7:18 pm
This may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say - I ADMIRE Alexandra for recycling gowns and suits, etc. The role of the modern monarchy has to walk a very fine line and spending extravagant amounts of money on fashion is just not socially responsible, something that we Scandinavians tend to pride ourselves on. Why should she be expected to wear a new dress to every gala? While I admit that it's certainly more fun for us royal watchers to see new outfits, it's much more admirable and responsible of the royal families to not indulge us!
I totally agree with you holly*anja, it is admirable that she is so modest spending.
__________________

__________________
  #123  
Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 80
Well said, Alexandria. It certainly would have been a BIG disappointment to see a "recycled" gown on the Princess for the royal wedding. I wonder if she has a "recycle schedule?" You know, new dresses for major events (royal weddings, baptisms, etc) and rotating those gowns for the more ordinary things like state dinners, etc.

(And I do realize that my above referral to state dinners as ordinary was completely asinine&#33
__________________
  #124  
Old 05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
hrhcp's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 1,938
She now has to accept being in second place in the charms department.

I mean Crown Princess Mary is the new kid on the block ... everyone and anybody wants to see her, meet with her, talk her head off, press her flesh.

Poor Princess Alexandra .... is she really poor ?
__________________
"Every decision is right for its time."
  #125  
Old 05-19-2004, 10:49 PM
hrhcp's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 1,938
oops .. realized there's another topic of nearly the same name ... which is quite long already (hint, hint).
__________________
"Every decision is right for its time."
  #126  
Old 05-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@May 19th, 2004 - 9:18 pm

Poor Princess Alexandra .... is she really poor ?
Of course not! You can't be a poor thing and yet still enjoy a 93% popularity rating. She will never be replaced, but people who like Alex should also understand that Crown Princess Mary is, like Alex, now a princess of Denmark, and so a little focus on Mary during her/straight after her wedding should not be begrudged.

Ultimately, both of them will have to continue doing their best for the people of Denmark, which is always a good thing. Why does it have to be a competition all the time?? Just appreciate both... I think both will do good (Alex already does this and hopefully - and I'm sure she will - Mary will too).
__________________
  #127  
Old 05-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasl@May 20th, 2004 - 5:00 am
93% popularity rating
Where do you come up with that figure?
As far as I know the only real polls done including the royal family are made by Gallup, and they don't have any record of Princess Alexandra scoring anything like that.
Is it from a gossip-magazine like "se og hør","billed-bladet", "her og nu", "kig ind" etc. or a tabloid like "ekstra bladet" or "bt", because those publications often have what is called "non-scientific"-polls where people log on to the website and vote.
The only thing Gallup has is that the Crown Prince is constitently the most popular, and that the support for the institution of the monarchy is in the 80's.
__________________
  #128  
Old 05-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally posted by Theilmann@May 21st, 2004 - 3:48 am

Where do you come up with that figure?
Yeah probably one of those trashy mags (at least I now know that Ekstra Bladet cannot be trusted).

If I come across the figures again I'll post it. But does anyone else remember that Alex was once voted the most popular member of the royal family? God knows it has often been quoted in some royal message boards.
__________________
  #129  
Old 05-22-2004, 06:54 AM
hillary_nugent's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Australia
Posts: 3,048
Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture...anyhow i admire both Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary equally and i do feel it is unfair for people to measure Mary's love for Fred as almost nil just because she is not all smiley and happy-go-lucky around the cameras...just because people aren't jolly around cameras does not mean they are snobbish or arrogant different people have different ways of dealing with the paparazzis and the public...
__________________
I came. I saw. I posted.
  #130  
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,168
she is a strong woman that can take care of her self
why do one have to compare all the princesses
  #131  
Old 02-09-2005, 12:15 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
she is a strong woman that can take care of her self
why do one have to compare all the princesses
It is the nature of humans, I suppose, Josefine. When someone share slightly similar positions, whether it is the royals, or others in the media, it is very easy to draw comparisons.

For instance, Crown Princess Mary isn't just compared to Alexandra, but also to Queen Ingrid. (And when it comes to being a foreigner who married into the Royal family, also compared to Prince Henrik...)

In the long run I think the comparisons that will keep going on is that to Queen Ingrid, who was in the same position that Mary currently is in: married to the heir to the throne. (Let's only hope that it doesn't take Mary and Frederik as long to have a baby, though, as it took his grandparents. I'm not sure Denmark can wait five years.)
__________________
  #132  
Old 02-09-2005, 01:06 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture...anyhow i admire both Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary equally and i do feel it is unfair for people to measure Mary's love for Fred as almost nil just because she is not all smiley and happy-go-lucky around the cameras...just because people aren't jolly around cameras does not mean they are snobbish or arrogant different people have different ways of dealing with the paparazzis and the public...
yes,
and perhaps most people with character strongly dislike being felt sorry for,
it is so condescending.
__________________
  #133  
Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
It is the nature of humans, I suppose, Josefine. When someone share slightly similar positions, whether it is the royals, or others in the media, it is very easy to draw comparisons.

For instance, Crown Princess Mary isn't just compared to Alexandra, but also to Queen Ingrid. (And when it comes to being a foreigner who married into the Royal family, also compared to Prince Henrik...)

In the long run I think the comparisons that will keep going on is that to Queen Ingrid, who was in the same position that Mary currently is in: married to the heir to the throne. (Let's only hope that it doesn't take Mary and Frederik as long to have a baby, though, as it took his grandparents. I'm not sure Denmark can wait five years.)

you have a point that she will be compered to the queen and queen ingrud but i think that will be more when mary one day will be queen of denmark
  #134  
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , United Kingdom
Posts: 33
What is the reaswon behind Alexandra and Joachim's divorce? Was there aother lady in the picture? Cause they always seemes s ohappy. I feel sorry for the boys
__________________
  #135  
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 PM
prm79's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 29
They're divorced? Since when ?
__________________
  #136  
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Joachim and Alexandra were divorced earlier this year, after a six months separation period. No specific reason was given for the divorce, as far as I'm aware, and all parties have kept quiet about it.
__________________
  #137  
Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne

In the long run I think the comparisons that will keep going on is that to Queen Ingrid, who was in the same position that Mary currently is in: married to the heir to the throne. (Let's only hope that it doesn't take Mary and Frederik as long to have a baby, though, as it took his grandparents. I'm not sure Denmark can wait five years.)
thanks goodness it did not happen!
__________________
  #138  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
She now has to accept being in second place in the charms department.

I mean Crown Princess Mary is the new kid on the block ... everyone and anybody wants to see her, meet with her, talk her head off, press her flesh.

Poor Princess Alexandra .... is she really poor ?
I'm sure that is what mary believes. :p
__________________
  #139  
Old 12-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture.
Yes, now it has been proved that she still stands her ground even without Joachimthen she is truly the great princess:)
__________________
  #140  
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Queen Ingrid was in a different position. She was a princess and she came from Sweden which was more similar to Denmark than Australia is.

Still I think you're right, Mary is going to be more compared with Ingrid, the last Queen Consort, than to Alexandra.

I imagine the big change for Alexandra will come if she remarries. As it is now, she is still somewhat part of the Royal Family. After she marries, I don't know.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, princess alexandra


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Does Haakon Feel About His Future Role? Josefine Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 28 04-06-2007 07:22 PM
Sarah Ferguson, Duchess Of York: News and Photos Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 03:30 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pom pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess marilene princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]