The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by holly*anja@May 18th, 2004 - 7:18 pm
This may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say - I ADMIRE Alexandra for recycling gowns and suits, etc. The role of the modern monarchy has to walk a very fine line and spending extravagant amounts of money on fashion is just not socially responsible, something that we Scandinavians tend to pride ourselves on. Why should she be expected to wear a new dress to every gala? While I admit that it's certainly more fun for us royal watchers to see new outfits, it's much more admirable and responsible of the royal families to not indulge us!
And I think that if you wear evening gowns to events far enough events it is less noticable, or if you wear them to not major events it is not disappointing fashion wise.

For example, it would've been very disappointing if Alexandra had chosen to recycle an evening gown for Frederik and Mary's wedding. Not that she should try to upstage Mary on that day, but a new dress as the one she wore was a nice treat. And not for her to wear that same dress to say the next state visit hosted by Denmark if it is in June. But maybe if she wore it in the fall that wouldn't be bad. And quite responsible as holly*anja suggested.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by holly*anja@May 18th, 2004 - 7:18 pm
This may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say - I ADMIRE Alexandra for recycling gowns and suits, etc. The role of the modern monarchy has to walk a very fine line and spending extravagant amounts of money on fashion is just not socially responsible, something that we Scandinavians tend to pride ourselves on. Why should she be expected to wear a new dress to every gala? While I admit that it's certainly more fun for us royal watchers to see new outfits, it's much more admirable and responsible of the royal families to not indulge us!
I totally agree with you holly*anja, it is admirable that she is so modest spending.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Gentry

Well said, Alexandria. It certainly would have been a BIG disappointment to see a "recycled" gown on the Princess for the royal wedding. I wonder if she has a "recycle schedule?" You know, new dresses for major events (royal weddings, baptisms, etc) and rotating those gowns for the more ordinary things like state dinners, etc.

(And I do realize that my above referral to state dinners as ordinary was completely asinine&#33
Old 05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

She now has to accept being in second place in the charms department.

I mean Crown Princess Mary is the new kid on the block ... everyone and anybody wants to see her, meet with her, talk her head off, press her flesh.

Poor Princess Alexandra .... is she really poor ?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

oops .. realized there's another topic of nearly the same name ... which is quite long already (hint, hint).
Old 05-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@May 19th, 2004 - 9:18 pm

Of course not! You can't be a poor thing and yet still enjoy a 93% popularity rating. She will never be replaced, but people who like Alex should also understand that Crown Princess Mary is, like Alex, now a princess of Denmark, and so a little focus on Mary during her/straight after her wedding should not be begrudged.

Ultimately, both of them will have to continue doing their best for the people of Denmark, which is always a good thing. Why does it have to be a competition all the time?? Just appreciate both... I think both will do good (Alex already does this and hopefully - and I'm sure she will - Mary will too).
Old 05-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasl@May 20th, 2004 - 5:00 am
93% popularity rating
Where do you come up with that figure?
As far as I know the only real polls done including the royal family are made by Gallup, and they don't have any record of Princess Alexandra scoring anything like that.
Is it from a gossip-magazine like "se og hør","billed-bladet", "her og nu", "kig ind" etc. or a tabloid like "ekstra bladet" or "bt", because those publications often have what is called "non-scientific"-polls where people log on to the website and vote.
The only thing Gallup has is that the Crown Prince is constitently the most popular, and that the support for the institution of the monarchy is in the 80's.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Theilmann@May 21st, 2004 - 3:48 am

Where do you come up with that figure?
Yeah probably one of those trashy mags (at least I now know that Ekstra Bladet cannot be trusted).

If I come across the figures again I'll post it. But does anyone else remember that Alex was once voted the most popular member of the royal family? God knows it has often been quoted in some royal message boards.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture...anyhow i admire both Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary equally and i do feel it is unfair for people to measure Mary's love for Fred as almost nil just because she is not all smiley and happy-go-lucky around the cameras...just because people aren't jolly around cameras does not mean they are snobbish or arrogant different people have different ways of dealing with the paparazzis and the public...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Majesty

she is a strong woman that can take care of her self
why do one have to compare all the princesses
Old 02-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
she is a strong woman that can take care of her self
why do one have to compare all the princesses
It is the nature of humans, I suppose, Josefine. When someone share slightly similar positions, whether it is the royals, or others in the media, it is very easy to draw comparisons.

For instance, Crown Princess Mary isn't just compared to Alexandra, but also to Queen Ingrid. (And when it comes to being a foreigner who married into the Royal family, also compared to Prince Henrik...)

In the long run I think the comparisons that will keep going on is that to Queen Ingrid, who was in the same position that Mary currently is in: married to the heir to the throne. (Let's only hope that it doesn't take Mary and Frederik as long to have a baby, though, as it took his grandparents. I'm not sure Denmark can wait five years.)
Old 02-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture...anyhow i admire both Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary equally and i do feel it is unfair for people to measure Mary's love for Fred as almost nil just because she is not all smiley and happy-go-lucky around the cameras...just because people aren't jolly around cameras does not mean they are snobbish or arrogant different people have different ways of dealing with the paparazzis and the public...
yes,
and perhaps most people with character strongly dislike being felt sorry for,
it is so condescending.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
It is the nature of humans, I suppose, Josefine. When someone share slightly similar positions, whether it is the royals, or others in the media, it is very easy to draw comparisons.

For instance, Crown Princess Mary isn't just compared to Alexandra, but also to Queen Ingrid. (And when it comes to being a foreigner who married into the Royal family, also compared to Prince Henrik...)

In the long run I think the comparisons that will keep going on is that to Queen Ingrid, who was in the same position that Mary currently is in: married to the heir to the throne. (Let's only hope that it doesn't take Mary and Frederik as long to have a baby, though, as it took his grandparents. I'm not sure Denmark can wait five years.)

you have a point that she will be compered to the queen and queen ingrud but i think that will be more when mary one day will be queen of denmark
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Commoner

What is the reaswon behind Alexandra and Joachim's divorce? Was there aother lady in the picture? Cause they always seemes s ohappy. I feel sorry for the boys
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Commoner

They're divorced? Since when ?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Joachim and Alexandra were divorced earlier this year, after a six months separation period. No specific reason was given for the divorce, as far as I'm aware, and all parties have kept quiet about it.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne

thanks goodness it did not happen!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
She now has to accept being in second place in the charms department.

I mean Crown Princess Mary is the new kid on the block ... everyone and anybody wants to see her, meet with her, talk her head off, press her flesh.

I'm sure that is what mary believes. :p
Old 12-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Now now...there is no need to feel pity for Princess Alexandra...if she is truly the great princess she is she would continue to stand her ground with or without Mary coming into the picture.
Yes, now it has been proved that she still stands her ground even without Joachimthen she is truly the great princess:)
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Queen Ingrid was in a different position. She was a princess and she came from Sweden which was more similar to Denmark than Australia is.

Still I think you're right, Mary is going to be more compared with Ingrid, the last Queen Consort, than to Alexandra.

I imagine the big change for Alexandra will come if she remarries. As it is now, she is still somewhat part of the Royal Family. After she marries, I don't know.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, princess alexandra