The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
There might also be a lot of canadians and americans who would like to work in Greenland.
I can't speak for Canadians, but I can't see US citizens clamoring for a career in Greenland. Fishing tends to be very socio-centric, meaning that you fish where you grew up and learnt to fish (such as New England.) As that is the major industry for Greenland, it doesn't seem viable.

IIRC, we (the US) lost an entire airplane or two in Greenland. One of which was carrying nukes.

Iceland has been marketing its steam-energy for industries that have high electrical requirements, such as data centers. I don't see that Greenland has the same thermal energy capacity, which is a shame.

I'm sure that the citizens of Greenland are glad that Frederick takes more than a passing interest in their part of the world, however.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I can't speak for Canadians, but I can't see US citizens clamoring for a career in Greenland. Fishing tends to be very socio-centric, meaning that you fish where you grew up and learnt to fish (such as New England.) As that is the major industry for Greenland, it doesn't seem viable.

IIRC, we (the US) lost an entire airplane or two in Greenland. One of which was carrying nukes.

Iceland has been marketing its steam-energy for industries that have high electrical requirements, such as data centers. I don't see that Greenland has the same thermal energy capacity, which is a shame.

I'm sure that the citizens of Greenland are glad that Frederick takes more than a passing interest in their part of the world, however.
Well there is a lot of danish academics in Greenland.

In my opinion I don't think the danish academics would leave Greenland because of an increasing independence.

But even so - I made a suggestion (in my previous comment) -that there could perhaps be Canadien or american academics such as doctors, lawyers, ingeneers etc., who would like to contribute ....

Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure what US academics could add to Greenland, as the higher educational system appears to be thin. I would think that would be the same for the other "Americas," Central & South America, where the landscape is rich for academics.

And I think we are waaayyyy away from royalty discussions here - but that's my opinion.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
In my opinion I don't think the danish academics would leave Greenland because of an increasing independence.
No, they leave because they don't want to stay there for their entire lives. I work with three people who've been stationed in Greenland (two nurses and a social worker). Asides from the environment being spectacular for the first few weeks, they have little positive to say about the island, the place apparantly being a quagmire of neglect, abuse and social deroute heavily seasoned with a lot of corruption.

Once Greenland goes independent, they'll have to raise salaries for academics etc. vastly - and expect that they can't keep these people employed for more than a few years.

Tags
greenland