General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know what Marie's parents and step parents careers are?

Does anyone know what Marie's parents and step parents careers are?

Our Marie's father has now retired.

Her mother still runs a restaurant or similar establishment.

And I believe her stepfather is working.

As I so often write summaries and translations from Billed Bladet, I find it appropriate to post this here as an illustration on how the magazine view it's connection with the DRF.

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #31, 2012.
Where a Birgitte Eriksen asks:
Do all members of the DRF get BB when it's published? Does the DRF approve the articles in the magazine? How is the relationship between the magazine and the DRF?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
The DRF recieve Billed Bladet every week (*) and we know that by far most members of the royal family reads the magazine. That also applies to Princess Benedikte and her family in Berleburg.
Billed Bladet certainly has no special status at the court, in regards to other medieas with whom we work on equal footing.
But we have a good and trusting relationship with the DRF, with a fine and mutual respect for eachothers occupations and tasks.
On a day to day basis the DRF does not get articles or quotes for approvement, but is there a special occasion, a major interview or a special deal, where a reading of the text is the premise and wished for, before we print, we always work that out in good order. It is that, that signifies our relationship with eachother.

(*) That is hardly surprising. I would imagine that the DRF-administration as well as the various courts within the DRF, i.e, QMII, Frederik and Joachim, recieve a wide assortment of weekly magazines and daily newspapers. And in that respect it's no different from say a ministry.

Last edited:
I am not sure if i should post this here but moderatorscan changeit
The roayl family is in London at the dannebrog, i was wondering if is any photo about it the inside of the ship rooms, etc...., whre can i find details about it?

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #36, 2012.
Where a Bodil Christensen asks when PET began to protect the DRF.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that it started in the 80's, and the first to be issued permanent bodyguards where Frederik and Joachim. (For fear of kidnap attempts).
Soon after the Regent Couple also got bodyguards and today most members of the DRF have permanent bodyguards from PET. (And in really dangerous areas FET agents).

Dannebrog order

Hi

Can anyone help me with info on this Dannebrog order? The hight is 80 mm and the widt is 64 mm. What is it worth?

If this is the wrong place to make such thread were should it be placed then?

Thanks

Doc

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 692
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 608
I have a question referring to the royal anthem of Denmark. The melody of it is in my ears similar to another historic royal song. Do any other members thinking the same as I? And what is the other royal song?

Here is the royal anthem:

Kong Christian stod ved højen mast - YouTube

Queen Margrethe II and Family in Portrait

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so excuse any faux pas.

I'm after a picture of HM The Queen Margrethe II of Denmark that I have in a booklet published by the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Although rather old, it is published in 1997 and was sent to me by the Danish Embassy to the United Kingdom upon enquiries.

I am especially after an internet-uploaded version of the Royal Family portrait which, I gather, is c. 1987-88, but which features in the booklet.

In in, The Queen is seated and, in backdrop, CP Frederik, Prince Henrik, and Prince Joachim stand behind her. All are in ceremonial dress.

I would like to present this is as birthday present, so all help will be gladly welcomed. :p

They have such photos made very often, so it's difficult to even know what to look for.

My suggestion is that you write the court and ask for details about the picture, i.e. photographer and who has copyrights. Then contact the photographer or make a search based on these details. - If you are very lucky the court may even send you a copy.

Cars and transportation for the Danish Royal Family.

Inspired by a Q&A in BB, I thought I'd open this thread about the means of transport used by the DRF.
This list is not complete but I hope others will join in and add more vehicles of all sorts.

The official cars used by the DRF are popularly known as "crown-cars" because of a crown on the numberplates: http://www.colourbox.dk/preview/2902912-595922-.jpg

The grandest car is known as "Big crown". It's Rolls Royce Silver-Wraith: http://www.seoghoer.dk/~/media/Se%20og%20Hoer/Royalt/store%20krone1%20jpg.ashx

The next in line is Krone 1. A Diamler Limousine from 1992: http://www.hjv.dk/HHV/TRFS/HD SYDØS...BORG/Nyheder/Billedbibliotek/Royalt/krone.jpg

Followed by Krone 2. A Diamler Limousine from 1986:

Krone 3 is a Buick Centurion convertible, used by Prince Henrik as a favorite summer-car. http://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/media/nyheder/16_9_large/73/231673_p_image_hori_553_360.jpg

Krone 5, a Diamler Limousine from 1979.

Krone 121, a Bentley Mulsanne, is used by QMII on a daily basis: http://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/media/nyheder.art_imgrel/10019_picture_9785_1.jpg

Krone 101, an Audi A4, is used by Prince Henrik: http://www.6q.dk/images/Krone_101_-_V0.jpg

Krone 462, a Bentley, was used by Frederik IX and is now on museum.

Krone 7, Volvo S80 http://www.6q.dk/images/Krone_7ae30ae09ae2004.jpg
and Krone 8, Audi A8 http://www.6q.dk/images/2011-09-21-krone_8_004.JPG - are used by M&F as their official cars.

Apart from that there are:
Krone 9 &10, which are both Audi A8.

Krone 11, Volvo S80.

Krone 12, Volvo S80 V8.

Krone 15, Mercedes Viano - minibus.

Krone 16, VW Multivan - minibus.

Krone 17, VW Caravelle - minibus.

Krone 18. VW Polo Blue Motion, - a utillity car.

Krone 34, Crafter 34, a truck.

Krone 35, Volvo - for transporting horses.

Then there are the private cars used by the DRF, but that I'll leave to someone else.

Another popular mode of transportation for the DRF, is the Nihola bike: http://rollingorangebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/nihola-cigar-family.jpeg
Used by both M&F but also Joachim and our Marie at both Amalienborg and Schackenborg.

Sometimes they, mostly the Regent Couple, use the royal salon-car. Which is simply attached to a regular train. From outside: http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...o-og-pa-mors/besog-i-holstebro-og-pa-mors.img
Inside: http://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/archive/00535/Dronningens_salonvo_535920m.jpg

The DRF does not have a specific plane, but for shorter flights in Greenland and in Europe they fly onboard an air force Challenger: http://forsvaret.dk/FTK/Nyt og Presse/Nyhedsarkiv/nyheder/2008/PublishingImages/CL604iluften.jpg

And for flights inside DK, they often hitch a ride onboard one of the large EH101 helicopters: http://multimedia.pol.dk/archive/00540/EH101_HELIKOPTER_540647a.jpg

It has happened that M&F have hitced a ride on a fast Fennec helicopter: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/47/4/620x/4047948-eftersgning-forsvundet-kvind.jpg

In Greenland and the Faroe Islands the reliable old Lynx are used: http://forsvaret.dk/FTK/opgaver/Int operationer/PublishingImages/Lynx_028_tryk1.jpg

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler as always for the wonderful insights into the DRF and the pictures :flowers::flowers:

Muhler, you can add Krone 20 - Renault Fluence Z.E to the lot :) The DRF still has the car and charge at Amalienborg and Fredensborg :)

Why are so many Danish Kings named Frederick or Christian?

I may have this in the wrong thread, but it sort of falls under the historical umbrella. Why are the kings of Denmark almost always named Frederick or Christian? Were they names that were so popular they had to be repeated or is there some Danish tradition that requires it?

I think it's just a tradition. With two exceptions every Danish monarch since the first Oldenburg monarch has either been a Christian or a Frederick, alternating between the two.

The two exceptions are John/Hans (who reigned in between Christian I and Christian II, taking the place of a Frederick), and the current Margrethe, who's reigning in between her father, Frederick IX, and her son (who will likely be Frederick X).

There's a good deal of research about preference for sound sequences within cultures (which may be both hereditary and a set of cultural switches).

It's also likely that some groups are more traditional than others. Royal lines in general tend to turn up some of the same names; perhaps Denmark is especially fond of a smaller set (for various reasons, including some preferences for sound sequences).

Christian, of course, is sort of heavy-laden with meaning as well.

What happen to my post from earlier? I asked if there was a Good Website about the history of The Danish Monarch/Royal Family with List of monarchs, Family tree, Bios, etc. where I could learn more about the Danish and the history of it Royal Family more in depth. I just log on and now it Gone.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the question and I couldn't find the question anywhere else.

Anyway is there a website beside the official Danish Monarchy Website where I could learn more about the Danish Royal Family and the Danish Monarchy?

Last edited:
Im mot sure if this is the correct forum but I was wondering... I heard the Queen was made to stop smoking in public. Was this her choice or was it made for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
DRF and Royal Copenhagen Porcelain

I know that the DRF use Royal Copenhagen porcelain, and that Fred and Mary have been featured on their webpage for formal and informal porcelain. Does anyone know what other royal families use formally and informally for their dinner services, cutlery and glassware?

Im mot sure if this is the correct forum but I was wondering... I heard the Queen was made to stop smoking in public. Was this her choice or was it made for her?

It was her choice.

The idea that anyone, save perhaps Henrik, dare "tell" Margrethe anything is laughable. She's too experienced to be bossed around.

The no-smoking craze in Denmark is seemingly taking a lull at the moment.

It was her choice.

The idea that anyone, save perhaps Henrik, dare "tell" Margrethe anything is laughable. She's too experienced to be bossed around.

The no-smoking craze in Denmark is seemingly taking a lull at the moment.

Hmmm. I see. Well I'm glad she still retains some personal authority. However, I wouldn't say its laughable considering many monarchs have jad their arms twisted behind closed doors.

I wouldn't say its laughable considering many monarchs have jad their arms twisted behind closed doors.

Yes, that's disgraceful IMO.

But in Denmark, the monarchy is (as you know) more popular than ever - and has been for some time.

15 years ago or so, a newspaper "revealed" that former PM Poul Nyrup Rasmussen had edited Margrethe's New Year speech. The critizism was massive and widespread, that PNR dared edit the queen's speech.

The reality was, that the PM's ministry writes the entire speech (with Margrethe or the court delivering some pointers they'd like to touch upon) and as such always "edits" the speech and has done for decades. So the critizism was sort of unfair.

My point is, that the Danes don't like politicans to tell anyone - and especially not her Majesty - what to do or say. It would require a politican of Bismarckian magnitude to make Margrethe do anything these days. And outright "telling" her to do anything would never succeed.

The only PM who'd theoretically be able to "suggest" something to the queen, would be former PM Anders Fogh Rasmussen (current head of NATO), and he was a pragmatist if anyone was (Realpolitkk).

Last edited:
Regarding my prev post about online sources of TR DVDs, if this not the right thread to post, where I can post such Q's? :)

Thank you

Some months back I happened to be present when a company was visited by the Regent Couple.
QMII and PH arrived in seperate cars and I happened to be chatting with the driver of QMII whom I had served with in Croatia and hadn't seen for years.

He was still in the army and he told me a few details about what goes on behind the scenes.
The DRF drivers are detached from the military and chosen preferably among thoe who are mature and who have served abroad. They undergo the usual screening process by PET and FET, then serve for a given period before returing to regular duty again, akin like the adjutants.
They get regular pay while serving the DRF, with the usual extra for overtime and being away from home.

In this case he the drove the car labelled Krone 1, http://aalborgstift.dk/assets/artikler/2011/05/20110526dronningen6.jpg which is the second grandest in the fleet of cars.
He described it as driving a "rocking chair" as the car has a tendency to rock and in fact PH don't like driving in it. It's also prone to being affected by wind from the side.
Apart from that the car is a petrol guzzler! Some five or six kilometres a litre is considered good! As such it needs a regular refill and so he drive into a gasstation, complete with say QMII in the backseat and PET trailing behind. Fill it with gas and then go in to pay like any other costumer. However, as he is in a drivers uniform and wear medals and all, he has rarely had to wait in line...

There is however plenty to do, while staying at places like Marseliborg. The car needs checking and endless polishing. And he also checked PH's Puc Maxi moped while there. PH often skip the car when visiting Aarhus and instead go by moped. A somewhat more modest mode of transportation. Here in the usual standard Danish configuration with a nicked milk box on the back: http://images.wikia.com/da.uncyclopedia/images/2/29/Puch-maxi.jpg

It was fun to meet an old mate like this but I promised to wait about telling this until he has returned back to regular duty.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the correct thread but I hope one of our Danish friends can help with this.

What happens in the future with the many royal children in the family, I assume when Frederik's children marry their spouses will be prince/princess and will attend the New Year event?
Will Joachim's children be given another title when they reach 18 and be styled perhaps Count/Countess? Nikolai will be 18 in three years time, will he then attend the New Year event and receive an apanage? If so that would mean all the children would be the same and therefore in 15/16 years time when the younger children can attend, the older royals are still going strong and maybe a marriage there could be 15/16 members attending rather a large group I think.

Will all of Frederik's children receive an apanage? If not I guess that means Joachim's will not receive any. I cannot see Denmark being able to support all. Joachim does receive one would he continue to receive his for the rest of his life?

Sorry about the many questions and that it's a little messy. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the correct thread but I hope one of our Danish friends can help with this.

What happens in the future with the many royal children in the family, I assume when Frederik's children marry their spouses will be prince/princess and will attend the New Year event?
Will Joachim's children be given another title when they reach 18 and be styled perhaps Count/Countess? Nikolai will be 18 in three years time, will he then attend the New Year event and receive an appendage? If so that would mean all the children would be the same and therefore in 15/16 years time when the younger children can attend, the older royals are still going strong and maybe a marriage there could be 15/16 members attending rather a large group I think.

Will all of Frederik's children receive an appendage? If not I guess that means Joachim's will not receive any. I cannot see Denmark being able to support all. Joachim does receive one would he continue to receive his for the rest of his life?

Sorry about the many questions and that it's a little messy. Thanks in advance.

A lot of relevant questions, I think.

And my bid will be just as good as as anyone elses.
It will basically be up to the monarch and the Parliament.

I believe Joachim will continue to recieve his apanage as he no doubt will continue to do public work. And also because a substitute is needed in case Frederik or for that matter Mary becomes ill. Experience matters.
I also believe M&F's children will recieve an apanage starting in ten years time in the case of Christian. As children of the CP (or more likely the king) they are almost expected to take part in the royal duties.

The more open question will be Joachim's children. One of them is likely to take over Schackenborg, which means he or she will need an education within agriculture, presumably starting out by being Joachim's right hand.
The others, well, unless they for some reason have a talent for public duties or have a big wish for public duties I believe they will be destined to have a career of their own.
I cannot believe they will stripped of their titles and demoted to counts, even though the monarch (can and indeed) has done it before.
Should that happen I think it would be likely to occour in connection with a marriage.
But their children will likely be made counts/countesses at least of Montpezat, perhaps one more title.
Unless of course they voluntarily wish to relinquish their royal title. Which may be a more practical solution, especially if they are to pursue a career in private commerce.
As for apanage for Joachim's children, I think it will be something akin to an expence account in connection with their royal duties.

It is IMO certain that Nikolai will presented with the Order of the Elephant. It is also certain, I think, that he initially will take part in the New Year Courts. Whether he will continue to do so, remains to be seen.
It is entirely up to the monarch, whether any spouses of Joachim's children will get a title of prince/princess.

Also, with eight children, statistically speaking at least one of them will at some point do something monumentally stupid. Like doing drugs, DUI, stripping in public and so on. There will be plenty of drama ahead. ;)
We must also expect that one or perhaps two of M&F's children will do a Madeleine. I.e. marry a foreigner and basically withdraw from public duties and settle abroad.
That in combination with the fact that this may also apply to Joachim's children, some of which on top of that may also have careers abroad, the DRF events may not be that crowded after all in 25 years from now.

Thanks Muhler for the information.

I have a couple of further questions, thanks.

Will all the children receive the Order of the Elephant? If so will they receive it on their 18th or will only Christian receive it at 18? Do you have to hold the Order to attend the NY Courts.

Do you think all of Frederik's children will do royal duties when they are old enough? Full time or part time.
If they do fulltime with Frederik and Mary, Joachim and Marie that is eight. I guess Christian will join the Navy/Army and may not be around most of the time.
Sorry, but I find this interesting.

Back
Top Bottom