General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 2: January 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Welcome to
General News about the Danish Royal Family
Part 2

The previous thread can be Found Here

TRF Rules & FAQs
*review before posting*

• In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright holder.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to reliable published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be removed without notice.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Royal House of Denmark moderating team.

Happy posting! :flowers:
Royal House of Denmark Moderators

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco :flowers:

From the pics it looks like Prince Henrik and our Marie have a warm relationship and a lot of fun together.

Perhaps we'll see Mary and Marie together again during the fashion week?

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

(..)

Mary said before going in to see the show: "We are looking forward to the unique show and to celebrate Malene Birger. She ha done a lot for Danish fashion and we are looking forward to see what she's offering for this season".

I see in one of the captions that Malene Birger's trade mark is black and white, so I've learned something this forenoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the first time the two ladies attend a show together?

:previous: No, IRC they have attended a fashion show together at least once before.

BB has a few more details: Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsesse Mary og prinsesse Marie alene i byen

Malene Birger celebrated her tenth jubilee and around 21.00 a minivan showed up and out went Mary and our Marie. They brought three friends with them.

They did not stay for the afterparty but went home to Amalienborg instead.

"Getty Images" Cerca - Getty Images IT: DNK: Princess Mary and Princess Marie Of Denmark Attend Malene Birger Show During Copenhagen Fashion Week

"Lehtikuva" Prinsessa Mary Kööpenhaminan muotiviikolla | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

"TV2.dk" GALLERI: Kongelige og kendte til modeshow

It's lovely to see Mary and Marie out together
flowers.gif

I really like the pics with Marie and Prince Henrik.

Last edited:
Thanks, Marika :flowers:

The darkhaired lady sitting next to Mary is Helle Reedtz-Thott, a close friend.

She is something of a stunner: http://net.naestved.dk/875/Jubilaeu...~/media/6553FB1FEB94466E95B8275BDD778F52.ashx

She has her home, being of anicient nobillity, at Gavnø Manor: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0Tb3W0K4_D8/TmXbL45mjjI/AAAAAAAABUE/kS1meF6NStw/s1600/Gavn%25C3%25B8+slot.jpg

IRC it was here Mary lived for the initial period when she went to DK. Correct me if wrong (CMIW).

ADDED: From what I can understand with my limited French, our Marie said in the article Polyesco kindly posted, that Joachim speaks Danish to their children, while she speaks French.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for posting, polyesco!

The French Point de Vue interview is indeed a new one, it's covered in the current issue this week!

thank you for the link.

in part of the interview, Henrik and Marie touched a little on their parenting. Henrik admitted he hadn't change too many diapers but that didnt make him a bad father.
The interviewer than asked Marie if Joachim changes diapers, Marie said that Joachim did, but less so than the crown prince. Marie admitted that Joachim is still part of the old school in that regard :flowers:

the cover page says "their love history with margrethe's kingdom". i will read the interview tonight :)

i love how they seem to get along very well. obviously henrik is in love with marie, and she's always so sweet.

Here is an attempt of translation for the article in french posted by polyesco
:whistling:
Sorry for the numerous mistakes,I am not very good in english:cool:

It starts saying that both Henrik and Marie though being now Danish keep tenderness to their home country.That they were both frank,generous and funny,
Both answered the same questions alternatively.
To the question about their plans for this new year,Henrik said that he decided to lose some weight especially the belly,he added that he was very slim all his life except for the last ten years.He was asked what he will do to lose that weight.He said that normally he should avoid eating bread,rice,potatoes,wine.Marie added sauce to the list.Henrik responded that with growing older he became almost vegeterian and that we won't miss sauce.
He said that he can live by eating only fish and vegetables but it will be more difficult with wine especially if he can't even taste the wine he produces in his property.Marie added that it won't be difficult since he already adds water in it.

Maries's decisions for 2013 will be to have more time for herself,doing some sport because she didn't have enough time since 4years.She used the english word «hobbies» instead of the french one «loisirs».Henrik joked about that.Marie said that since she met Henrik she is trying to be more careful in speaking an impeccable french and that she shares his proud and love of french language.
Marie says that she is fond of eating,Henrik added that for him life is full of tempation for eating.He added that he hates cold weather and loves hot weather.Marie replied to him «you have no chance» to which he answered «i have no chance on that only»

To the question about their projects,Henrik wants to have more spare time and spend more time with his grand childrens.Marie says that her father in law wants to spend more time alone with the children because he wants a more authentic relationship with them.He said that's this is not easy because both he and the Queen and the grand-children haven't enough spare time.He added that the generation in between them is even more busy.

Marie said that they have the chance to have extraordinary missions and through their status they can make a difference.She said that she is fond of her humanitarian activities that she comes back from Combodge and she met very poor people.She said that it's very difficult to see so much misery.
Henrik said that the qualities of the Danes are:eek:utspokeness,spontaneity and conformism but eccentricy is well accepted as well.Marie added that the Danes are happy,humble.That thingswork well in this country and people don't complain .Henrik added that they are diffrent from the french who complain a lot and criticise a lot their country,products,He added that the Danes on the contrary consider everything that is danish wonderful.
The journalist asked Marie what french people should learn from the danish,Marie responded that they should learn to be more positive.She added that she love her native country and french people though she is now danish,
Asked if it was difficult to be reserved and keep some of their opinions private,Marie said that it is sometimes difficult to not be allowed to be frank but with time she learnt.Henrik said that it's wise to be reserved.

Asked if he was anxious about the obligation to be reserved when he married Margarethe,Henrik complained about the status devoted to him.He said that at the time of their marriage,some accused the Queen of having a morganatic marriage.He said to Marie that she was lucky to have done an equel marriage with Joachim.He said that there are no reason why he shouldn't be equal to his wife.He said that he is not alone in that case ,that Prince Philip shares that opinion.He said that since 5000 years,queens have always made their husband kings and it's a purely british fancy that was imported by the Danes and the Dutch.He said that this is an injustice that is not easy to bear and accept.

Marie said that when she married Joachim,her natural anxiety was exacerbated for obvious reasons and that she was happy to face her fears.She said that she lived such extraordinary moments that they made her forgot the bad ones especially the fact of losing privacy.
Both agreed that the biggest challege they faced was to learn the danish language.Henrik said that speaking danish for a foreigner is like having a popato and a yoghurt in your mouth.
Marie says that she speaks english and spanish but danish is different since threre is no latin root but there are lot of french words.Henrik congratulates Marie for her mastery of the language.
Marie said that Joachim and her agreed that he will speak danish with the children and Marie will speak french with them.Little Henrik perfectly understands french but doen't want to speak it.Henry said that it was due tu children laziness who try to favor easiest thing without doing efforts.
Henrik said that he was more firm with his children on that subject and he obliged them to speak french with him and that continues until now.He said that actually in family dinners,Fred and Joachim adresses their father in french and their mother in danish and that some discussions can start in one language and ends in anotheor one.He said that when they were toddlers a journalist asked his children what language they speak with their dad ,the children told the journalist «a dad speaks french» as if all dads speak french,
Marie said that she named her son Henrik because she likes the name and especially in honour of her father in law.She calls her Henri and not Henrik.
She said that her father in law was a great support in the begining and that they had a good relashionship and that he advised to be herself.

The journalist reminded Henrik of one of his favourite sentence «a prince consort is a stange animal who must have the skin of a rinoceros and the sensitivity of a seismograph»,the journalist asked him how he became that stange animal.
Henrik answered that it was by constraining himself,by putting a gag on his mouth and sentiments but that the mission is worth the sacrifice.
Marie added that the diffulties helped her father in law in developing his artistic talents,that he is a great poet and is making wonderful sculptures.
Henrik said that he is writing personnal memories and that the Danes know that.He wants to let a testimony of his life
Both said that they have normal lives.
Henrik amitted that he is a bit conservative in the sense that he never changed his cildren diapers and was criticised by the medias.Marie said that Joachim is reluctant to do this contrary to the Crown Prince who does it.
Marie said that she and Joachim are busy with their farm.Henrik said that he loves decorating his houses.
At the end,both agreed that royal families have no divine right and should gain the respect of their subjects,
Henrik and the Queen both agreed that in their relashionships there are 3 peoples «she,me and we».Funny Henrik added I don't even speak of the mistress LOL
Marie said as Spinoza said «we should keep having desire for what we have»

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this translation Soraya :)

Thank you so much for this translation Soraya :)

And the image of Prince Henrik and Prince Philip together having a good old moan about not being made King when their wives became Queens made me chuckle! And I've now done enough posts to no longer be a newbie - yay!

Thanks, Soraya :flowers:

That was a frank interview in many ways.
I see Prince Henrik is still going on about wanting to be king. He can forget all about that one.
I think he and our Marie thrive in each other's company. Certainly in the sense that both enjoy life, not least in regards to food - aaaand I don't think PH's diet will go very far...

The details about speaking French in the families was also interesting. It's probably healthy for the children, even though bette Henrik seems to have his own mind about that! However in contrast to PH I can't remember the last time I heard or read anything bad about Marie's Danish.

They expressed a view about the Danes accepting eccentrics. Yes, now. That wasn't so much the case, just twenty or thirty years ago.
The things about we Danes considering everything Danish to be wonderful (and best) is very true - a little national bias, I fear.
Their description of the Danish mentality (it's always interesting to learn about that from outsiders) and way to approach life was, I think, correct.
You know, the thing about the Danes being the happiest people in the world and all that. Happy should actually be replaced with contend, that would be more correct.
In fact Danish mentality can be boiled down to these two often used sentences:
"Det kunne være meget værre = It could be a lot worse". And "Det går nok - It'll probably turn out alright".

I see that Marie has not forgotten about her trip to Cambodia and that she still plans to make a difference in some way. That can only be commended.

Thank you for translating. This is a great interview. Enjoyed reading it.

LibrarianDaisy,Muhler ,Naggi, you are welcome:flowers:

Indeed the interview was very frank.I can easily understand Prince Henrik not being happy of not being given the title of King.Both he and Prince Philip have proved to be great husbands,fathers and subjects.I am for equality.
I am sorry to say that but the fact that they weren't given the title of king makes me feel as if they are considered as genitors.I know that Queen Margarethe and Queen Elisabeth love and have the greatest respect for their husbands but again an equal title will be a gesture of gratitude.
A prince consort is doing an equal job to a princess consort so why should they be treated differently in regard to the title.
Both Henrik and Philip had renounced their native citizenship,left his home country in the case of Henrik which is a great sacrifice.Princesses Marie,Mary,Maxima have done similar things but at least they are rewarded with an equal title.
There is some sadness in Henrik's words but he also made it clear many times that all that is worth the sacrifice.
I also discovered that he has a great sense of humour which isn't a surprise for a french man of his age.Here in France,men of Henrik's age are always so funny,they have always something comical to say.
I love meeting couples of that age,generally the wife is very serious and stiff and the husband can't avoid making jokes especially when they face a young and pretty lady:lol:
Muhler,I haven't lot of hopes for Henrik's diet given the fact that the region he comes from (sud-ouest of France) is renowned for it's excellent gastronomy and high calories also:D.
I love the fact that Danish royal children are confronted to bilinguism.I guess that Fred and Mary's children are also learning english with their mother and french with their grand dad

Thank you for the translation Soraya, it's a very interesting interview. Princess Marie and Prince Henrik seem to have a lovely relationship with each other.

I have my own theory of why Prince Phillip, Prince Henrik and the Dutch prince consorts have never been given the title of king and it boils down to the fact that gender equality is such a recent thing (and far from fully achieved yet). I wasn't born when the various queen regents ascended to the throne, but if someone heard a mention of the "King and Queen of Britain" in the 50's or 70's, I imagine they'd automatically assume the King was the regent and the Queen "only" his consort. So in order to avoid any confusion about who the ruler is, the husband of a reigning queen had to stay a prince.

I sort of get Prince Henrik's frustration, but since the situation comes from centuries of society only accepting female regents if there was no other choice at all, I'm finding it very hard to feel sorry for him on that account. I know he's not always found life easy in Denmark, and he's definitely been victim of a lot of public bullying which Danes ought to feel ashamed of. But when it comes to the prince consort title men will just have to deal with it in my opinion.

I remember once reading something about how the word Queen simply means "the consort of a king" and in itself doesn't mean a ruler, where as the word king means ruler or "leader of the people". I don't remember all the specifics, but the article said that if title's were to be completely correct then all the reigning queens ought to be titled king and their husband's called queens. But the patriarchal societies haven't been willing to grant the reigning women the title of ruler, so they remained queens. I wish I could find this article again, but it's been years since I read it.

I wonder if Henrik would still be so focused on getting the "proper" title due to him if it meant saying King Margrethe and Queen Henrik.:whistling:

I sort of get Prince Henrik's frustration, but since the situation comes from centuries of society only accepting female regents if there was no other choice at all, I'm finding it very hard to feel sorry for him on that account. I know he's not always found life easy in Denmark, and he's definitely been victim of a lot of public bullying which Danes ought to feel ashamed of. But when it comes to the prince consort title men will just have to deal with it in my opinion.

I remember once reading something about how the word Queen simply means "the consort of a king" and in itself doesn't mean a ruler, where as the word king means ruler or "leader of the people". I don't remember all the specifics, but the article said that if title's were to be completely correct then all the reigning queens ought to be titled king and their husband's called queens. But the patriarchal societies haven't been willing to grant the reigning women the title of ruler, so they remained queens. I wish I could find this article again, but it's been years since I read it.

I wonder if Henrik would still be so focused on getting the "proper" title due to him if it meant saying King Margrethe and Queen Henrik.:whistling:
:lol: I totally agree with you. Until a few years ago (3 years I think) boys still came before girls in the succession line in Denmark.

soraya
Asked if it was difficult to be reserved and keep some of their opinions private,Marie said that it is sometimes difficult to not be allowed to be frank but with time she learnt.Henrik said that it's wise to be reserved.
Thank you for translating, soraya. :flowers:
I love how they say they can't be frank and then they are very frank.
Yes, Henrik it would be wise to be more reserved about your feelings.

Thanks for the translation, Soraya! :flowers:

A very interesting and frank interview. I am glad to see Prince Henrik and Princess Marie have such warm relationship. Really liked the way they teased each other here and there. Not sure I liked the way Prince Henrik went on about the title of a King; time to let it go!

Last edited:
Thank you for translating the article, soraya! I was able to pick through the majority of the original article in French but had missed some of the details, (the bit about Henrik trying to lose weight, "especially in the stomach" is delightful).

Henrik seems like a very urbane and charming man when he's at his best, and he and Marie seem to complement each other nicely. I've always suspected they would be natural allies, in the same way I think Mary and Queen Margrethe have a genuinely close bond.

Regarding Henrik's frustration over his title being secondary to that of his wife, well, I agree with Flowerbed - that's a result of the meaning and history behind the words King and Queen. By definition a King outranks everyone, including the Queen. I always roll my eyes when the argument comes up that not calling someone in Henrik's position King is sexist against men. Actually, it's one of the few circumstances in which men wind up disadvantaged because the history of sexism against women.

Thank you for your summary of this double interview. I really appreciate it. It's nice to get a sense of the content.

As much as I appreciate everything Henrik's done for QMII, how big a support he's been etc., I can't help but getting annoyed by him bringing up the whole title subject again. He has a title - a mighty fine one if you ask me. It's not everyone who's as privileged as him yet he keeps going on about how it's discriminating that he isn't a King. Is it really hurting his pride so much that his wife is ranked above him?

When I think "King" I automatically think of someone ranked above a Queen because that's the way it's been for so many years. The truth is that in terms of royalty and titles, he's not equal to his wife. It may sound rough but she is the monarch, and a reigning monarch and Queen can't, in my opinion, have a husband who outrank her, that's just the way it is and Henrik knew that when he married her :ermm:

It's also funny to me how he's brought up the Duke of Edinburgh but I don't believe you continuously hear Prince Philip going on and on and on about his titles and how he's outranked by his wife (he might poke fun at it but that's not what Henrik is doing, he is actually still legitimately, annoyingly bothered by it).

Henrik has had a difficult relationship to the Danes and he's often been treated unfairly by the tabloids and just the average Dane really. I'm also certain that he's a nice chap and that he cares a great deal for QMII and the family. However, it does nothing good for him and his relationship to the public that he decides to drag this through the mud once more. As I mentioned before, "Prince Consort" is not a bad title, it's better than no title at all.

(All) this :)whistling:) being said, thank you soraya, for taking your time to do a translation of the interview :flowers:

Last edited:
He certainly raises a legitimate question. Why are spouses of Kings titled Queens but spouses of Queens title Princes? I don't think we are going to see a change to the tradition. If there will be a change it will be to call spuses of Kings Princesses and not Queens.

soraya. Thank you for all the work you put in to translate the article. I too found it interesting. We often get Mary's view on various things but personally I haven't read too much from Marie.

Henrik would make a very interesting dinner guest. It seems he has embraced his life in Denmark but obviously has retained true to himself in many ways.

Thanks

PiaDK your time and effort is much appreciated. Many Thanks. Mange Tak! Merci.
I do apologise Soraya for my mistake, my thanks are to you for your time effort doing the translation. :flowers:
I see in the interview that speaking French is important to this royal family and I wonder if Mary has been learning. After all French is the language of diplomacy.

As much as I appreciate everything Henrik's done for QMII, how big a support he's been etc., I can't help but getting annoyed by him bringing up the whole title subject again. He has a title - a mighty fine one if you ask me. It's not everyone who's as privileged as him yet he keeps going on about how it's discriminating that he isn't a King. Is it really hurting his pride so much that his wife is ranked above him?

When I think "King" I automatically think of someone ranked above a Queen because that's the way it's been for so many years. The truth is that in terms of royalty and titles, he's not equal to his wife. It may sound rough but she is the monarch, and a reigning monarch and Queen can't, in my opinion, have a husband who outrank her, that's just the way it is and Henrik knew that when he married her :ermm:

It's also funny to me how he's brought up the Duke of Edinburgh but I don't believe you continuously hear Prince Philip going on and on and on about his titles and how he's outranked by his wife (he might poke fun at it but that's not what Henrik is doing, he is actually still legitimately, annoyingly bothered by it).

Henrik has had a difficult relationship to the Danes and he's often been treated unfairly by the tabloids and just the average Dane really. I'm also certain that he's a nice chap and that he cares a great deal for QMII and the family. However, it does nothing good for him and his relationship to the public that he decides to drag this through the mud once more. As I mentioned before, "Prince Consort" is not a bad title, it's better than no title at all.

(All) this :)whistling:) being said, thank you soraya, for taking your time to do a translation of the interview :flowers:

I'm in complete agreement with you, Archduchess.

Personally I simply don't understand why a title should be that important to him.
I do believe the royals should adapt to the changing times, but this isn't a necessity.
I hope and believe he will be allowed to use his real name, Henri. He had to change his name to Henrik. That was pretty silly already back in the 60's. It's even more silly now.

Unsurprisingly all the major papers and news medias here in DK, focus on Henrik's "whining" about not being king. Also BT, which also focus of PH's upcoming diet and in a humorous way has recorded the development of his pondus in this gallery: http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-prinsgemalen-i-tykt-og-tyndt (Notice pics #8 & 10. The Regent Couple have never been able to figure out how to walk arm in arm).

Two more pics from BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/71/6/6071480-.jpg
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/71/6/6071522-no-sales.jpg

Last edited:
I do apologise Soraya for my mistake, my thanks are to you for your time effort doing the translation. :flowers:
I see in the interview that speaking French is important to this royal family and I wonder if Mary has been learning. After all French is the language of diplomacy.

Yes, I didn't translate anything - I appreciated the translation :)

You are welcome everyone :flowers:
It was a pleasure to translate it to all of you.I know from a personnal experience that it's frustrating not to understand an article written in a language you have not learnt.
As for Henrik don't blame him too much.He belongs to an older generation who is more conservative.:lol:
As Muhler said he was even obliged to change his name into Henrik.I think he was even blamed for his bad Danish accent.Henrik was asked a question,he answered to it frankly.
Again that's a personnal opinion,for me it's only in chess that a king out ranks a queen:D
In the case of Sweden,I hope Victoria will give Daniel the title of King when she becomes Queen.Given all the future queens that are waiting:Estelle,Amalia,Ingrid-Alexandra,Leonor ,the question will be more debated in the future:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thank you for the translation Soraya.

I second Muhler's agreement with Archduchess; finally, there seemed to be more appreciation of prince Henrik and his achievements in the media, a more lenient tone towards him - and then he, again, voices his frustrations about his title. Nothing seems to rub Danes the wrong way more than this - it is perceived as pride and vanity.

Officially, Henrik will always be number two between him and his wife, and he will never be in the succession, consequently certain official tasks fall to the heir when the reigning queen/king is not around; it's the same for all the consert queens. They can live with it, why can't he?

He has known from the start how his official role would be. To keep resenting the consequences of a choice he once took, eyes wide open, does indeed give the appearance of whining.

Such a shame really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom