General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 2: January 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's official" – so certain they seem. How funny that the court should tell an Australian gossip magazine before any Danish media outlet. I hope no one actually fall for that waste of money.

That magazine must be the equivalent of the National Enquirer here in the US. If you believe them, QEII has been dying for years, she hates Camilla, and has ''begged'' William to take over the throne. Yeah right. And that's not even mentioning the celebrities who are having their ''sad last days.'' And the pictures! They use the most unflattering pictures they can find - I wonder if some of them were photoshopped. There are plenty of pictures of QEII where she has a warm smile and sparkling eyes, but they'd never use those - just the ones where she looks unhappy and/or furious.

Very strange indeed for Womens Weekly as this is a slightly more serious publication than New Idea or Womans Day who are notorious for making stuff up. All I can say is that WW must have a change of Editor or something to come up with a bizarre story such as this. Just goes to show magazines are getting desperate for increased sales figures. If they keep this up then people will concentrate more and more on the internet for their news.

:previous:

It actually also are Woman's Day who writes the story. Not Womens Weekly.

But okay, Woman's Day has succeeded with what they probably wanted. Selling magazines/getting publicity with a popular face on their cover. Just look how many media their article are scattered in. There are almost non media in Denmark, which hasn't published an article about it in which the name Woman's Day is a part.

What are interesting are on the the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet's Facebook page (which is known to be the anti-royal newspaper) their post related to article I see the most popular (most liked) comment are: "She (Mary) will be a amazing Queen once :) "

All the hard work this paper are doing to 'destroy the monarchy' doesn't seem to work as well :lol:

Attachments

• Unavngivet89.jpg
    Unavngivet89.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
:previous:

What are interesting are on the the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet's Facebook page (which is known to be the anti-royal newspaper) their post related to article I see the most popular (most liked) comment are: "She (Mary) will be a amazing Queen once :) "

All the hard work this paper are doing to 'destroy the monarchy' doesn't seem to work as well :lol:

The comment by Camilla Troelsen is pretty telling I think.
As a comment to the first remark: She'll be a fantastic queen one day.
Camilla writes: Definitely! Mary and Frederik will be the most cool and down-to-earth ruling couple.
They are already immensely popular. They are royal but the same time not afraid about giving people a big hug.
Nothing bad to say about Margrethe but I honestly think the CP-couple is the top-profiles in the DRF and they will give the DRF a much needed renewal and modernization.

ADDED: Even Royalista is denying the WD story, but there is a nice pic: http://royalista.com/wp-content/ima...queen-margrethe_family-life_autox500@1.5x.jpg

Last edited:
As you know Joachim is currently Rigsforstander, which means that both QMII and Frederik are away somewhere and will be so for an entire week.
Also there is to reason given for their absence.

So, is it a private visit? Both of them? Nah.
Have they gone trekking somewhere in East Greenland, more or less out of reach? - Well, they are technically still within the realm, but unable to fullfill their constitutional duties. (Joachim will tomorrow forenoon have to sign a bill, enabling Danish fighters to take off for Iraq at 10.30). So that's a possibillity.
Have they gone to visit the Danish frigate off the coast of Somalia? - That's now my pet-theory.
- Or Afghanistan? Which I think is unlikely for both of them. The Danish forces there no longer have fixed bases but act as advisors and staff and special forces.

Last edited:
I guess we can put some trivia here.

Based on two Q&A's in Billed Bladet #40, 2014.

First a Birgit Skovgaard Nielsen would like to know why QMII is always carrying a bag.

Jon Bloch Skipper reponds that she does so for practical reasons and out of habit and that he himself has noticed some of the items Her Majesty has in her bag: A lighter and some (very strong) Greek cigarettes without filter, which QMII is very fond of.

A Lenette Nellemann would like to know why Mary and our Marie are rarely seen together.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that both women are busy and until recently (often) lived in each end of the country, with each their family with small children. On top of that have official duties, interests ad friends.
"If you with your question suggest that there should be a conflict between the sisters-in-law I can inform that such a thing is non-existant.
The Crown Princess and the Princess are not best/close friends but have a fine relationship based on mutual respect, interest for each other and to some degree a common destiny.
In other words they get along fine when they are together in connection with family and duties but they don't mingle constantly".

- BB is coming up.

I have a question. When a young woman did Her Majesty ever ride a horse? Is there a photo of her riding a horse? Also did her sister Anne Marie ever ride? Thanks

There must not be much "real" news so it's time to drag out something to sell magazines

I think it's safe to predict that the DRF or at least representatives of the DRF (probably the young) will attend a funeral shortly. My guess will be this weekend.
Greven bag Egeskov-succes er død | Kultur | DR
Because Count Claus Ahlefeldt-Laurvig Bille, the owner of Egeskov Castle has died at age 82.
The Ahlefeldts, especially the younger Ahlefeldts, belongs to the circle of friends of both M&F and J&M.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to predict that the DRF or at least representatives of the DRF (probably the young) will attend a funeral shortly. My guess will be this weekend.
Greven bag Egeskov-succes er død | Kultur | DR
Because Count Claus Ahlefeldt-Laurvig Bille, the owner of Egeskov Castle has dies at age 82.
The Ahlefeldts, especially the younger Ahlefeldts, belongs to the circle of friends of both M&F and J&M.
Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille is Prince Vincent's godfather and Frederik is godfather to Michael Ahlefeldt's son.

Last edited:
Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille is Prince Vincent's godfather and Frederik is godfather to Michael Ahlefeldt's son.

thanks for this info.
Mary's has her trip to South Africa from Nov 2 to 5. Depending on when the funeral is held and when she leaves, maybe she wont be able to make it.

Is Frederik godfather to his older son? Prince Joachim is godfather to his younger son.

Is Frederik godfather to his older son? Prince Joachim is godfather to his younger son.
Yes, from his first wife. I watched (again) the DR video of Frederik and Mary's wedding a few years ago, and it was mentioned when he entered the church with his father. He must be around 20 by now. Gregers, I think his name is. Or something like that.

:previous: Thank you so much :hug: I didn't know that (generally the information on royals and their godchildren is painfully limited, haha). I'll go add it to my Wikipedia article on godchildren of DRF members straight away.

:previous: Thank you so much :hug: I didn't know that (generally the information on royals and their godchildren is painfully limited, haha). I'll go add it to my Wikipedia article on godchildren of DRF members straight away.
You're welcome :)
I didn't trust my memory...., googled and found this from BB 2010:

"Konfirmation på Egeskov Slot.
Grev Michaels søn, Gregers, fra sit ægtskab med sin ekskone, Margrethe, ... Grev Michael Ahlefeldt havde naturligvis sin hustru, Caroline ... dog undvære sin gudfar, kronprins Frederik, der ikke havde mulighed for at deltage."

Last edited:
Because Count Claus Ahlefeldt-Laurvig Bille, the owner of Egeskov Castle has died at age 82.
Sorry, Muhler, but Count Claus Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille was not the owner of Egeskov Castle. He handed it over to his son Count Michael in 1992 :flowers:

But Count Claus A-L-B was the founder of Egeskov Castle being the tourist attraction it is :)

Last edited:
Not sure where else to put this: Piberygende officer: Jeg var ved at futte Hendes Majestæt Dronningen af - Royale | www.bt.dk

It's a funny anecdote about QMII by lieutenant-colonel Lars Møller, an officer I personally hold in very high regard from my own time in the army. An officer who has always been much more concerned about his men than himself, let alone his career. - As such he is still only lieutenant-colonel rather than brigadier as he ought to be by now.

Anyway, this is what he had to say:
"In 1991 (*) Ebbe Kirk and I got Erik Munk's memorial grant in connection with our deeds in Bosnia (See note) and I made the thank you speech. Her Majesty sat on the front row and ambassador Stoltenberg (now NATO General Secretary) sat next to her and spoke about this and that and the fogs of war drifted down the walls. When we were done the Queen went across to the room where the reception afterwards was to take place.
the Majesty clearny needed a fag and I had prepared my pipe.
The good thing about being near Her Majesty is that you may smoke. Actually you have to.
When the Queen had a fag ready I lifted up my zippo-lighter that I had just refilled. When I lit it the Majesty vanished behind smoke. I amost burned her off. Afterwards she looked at me and said: You were almost guilty in lese majeste there! I can usually come up with a quick reply, but there I must admit I had to take a timeout. But she said it with a smile, if not I might just as well have jumped out from the third floor right away".

:lol: He hasn't lost his sense of humour.

(*) DK was the first country the deploy main battle tanks in a peace keeping operation. That took place in the 90's in Bosnia and they saw combat twice. The first time, they were heavily engaged was at Tuzla and then major Lars Møller was the commander of the tank squadron.
That took place in 1995 however, so this episode could not have taken place in 1991.

Last edited:
That's a great anecdote!

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #49, 2014.
Where a Birgit Nielsen would like to know what the royals do when they have to go the toilet.

Jon Bloch Skipper responds that they go to the toilet.
In fact such an eventuallity is planned into a royal event or visit. Normally a toilet is reserved for the royal should he/she wish to "wash his hands" or "powder her nose".
He mention an example which took place in the town of Fredericia recently where two toilets had been reserved for our Marie and her LiW and time had been factored in for a short breather, where Marie could have a private time.
Such details are arranged with the court before a visit takes place.

The funeral for the late Queen Fabiola of Belguim will be on Friday, Dec. 12. Since it will be a state funeral, I wonder if any of the Danish royals will attend.

And now for something I look very much forward to myself.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50, 2014.
Written by the Ulrik Ulriksen.

This Sunday DR1 will show a documentary by Anna von Lowzow and Lene Borch Hensen called "Guld, Kong og Fædreland = Gold, King and Country/Fatherland".
The docu is about Denmark and Danes around WWI, but what makes this very remarkable is that Frederik and Joachim will very much be talking about the events, because they in many cases directly involved their great grandfather (oldefar) Christian X.

King Christian X was very conservative and also an army officer of the school, a very strickt man.
In 1914 Christian X had been king for only two years. Joachim explains: "Christian X is standing there and can do nothing. He is one of the least (important) rulers in Europe. He's one of the weakest and he is also by seniority one of the youngest. My great grandfather was... well, he didn't know what to do".

In 1920 King Christian faced his most politically dangerous moment, he sacked the government but did not appoint a new one and such he ruled himself. That led to politicians accusing of having commited a coup d'etat.

Joachim explains: "The de facto political distribution of power back then was that the word of the king, the wish of the king despite all was the final weight on the scale. That was the direction of the politics being made".
Frederik takes over: "You asked what the kings view was and what the king says. It was in reality a time of change, and it was in that direction the democracy was oving. (Ie. politicians taking over). That he had to learn the hard way.
After the end of the war the winning sides decides that there must be a referendum about the adherence of Slesvig/Schleswig. That's why there is voting in two zones and Northern Slesvig which we know as Southern Jutland vote to return to Denmark, but the southern part does not and again Christian X is hit hard by that referendum, because he considers Slesvig a geographical unity".
Joachim: "That's a very, very hard thing for the king to swallow. To him Slesvig was undividable".

That leades to a political crisis, with the conservatives backing the king, while the liberals and radicals being in favor of a division.
Joachim: "As such the parts have dug down unwilling to give in. It ends with flying sparks. The king dismisses the government and the Easter Crisis is a reality. (*) Things screw up that day. The king request the Zahle administration (Radical and Liberal) to resign but without asking them to remain in office until a new government is found. (I.e. DK was without a democratic government). That's where the king makes his biggest mistake. The Radicals led by Zahle states that the king has commited a coup d'etat. The fact is that the country was without government.
My great-grandfather experience a very, very umpleasant situation from his own windows at Amalienborg. Everything is boiling and hissing. (**)
My great-grandfather is standing completely on his own and is on the recieving end all alone".
After four days a compromise was found but that was in reality the end of the DRF's direct political influence. Keep in mind that democracy in DK was only 70 years old.
But Christian X nevertheless ended up becoming a national symbol during the renufication between northen Slesvig and the rest of Denmark in 1920, where he rode across the border on a white horse picking up a little girl in the process.
Frederik: "The highlight of the reunification is when the king rides across the border on his white horse. And in that context a moment is being immortalised as he picks up a little girl in a white dress on his white horse".
Joachim: "The crowd is packed densely, cheering, he grabs the girl, gives her a kiss. To the king it's more than just symbolic that he is improvising on the spot. It actually becomes something very big to him emotionally. She (the girl Johanne Brarens whom remains in contact with) becomes a very important part of his life".
That also changes the Danes view of the king from the perception of him being a stiff and strickt man to being human and even kind and nice. (***)

Being a very conservative man, the women being given the right to vote in DK in 1915 was not something Christian X was that pleased with. In fact when a wellknown women, Emma Gad, thanked the king, he suggested she go home and pour up some coffee for her husband.

(*) The Easter Crisis is the closest thing DK has ever been to becoming a republic. Christian X was very close to being "abdicated".

(**) There were angry crowds at Amalienborg Square and some historians suggest the whole thing could have escalated out of control and led to a civil war.

(***) The Danes may have respected Christian X, but he wasn't exactly loved. The superstars within the DRF back then were crown prince frederik and crown princess Ingrid. Until the Occupation, where the Christian X became an almost worshipped national symbol.

-----------------

ADDED.

The DRF calendar seem pretty empty these days. My guess is that a member of the DRF will be visiting Danish troops stationed abroad.
Right now that could be Balticum, Mali, Afghanistan, Kuwait or Iraq.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler.
History is always my favorite subject.
It is kind of cool that Joachim and Frederik have taken part of this documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom