Flag Day Commemorating Foreign Conflict Since 1948: September 5th (2009, 2012-2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arriving
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...78.jpeg.208a627ef7d29e62e05982a27390ed11.jpeg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...2B.jpeg.2563a0bde70a7cf8519a9aac884e9128.jpeg

F&M and the official Denmark started attending the memorial service at the monument at Kastellet ( The Citadel) with wreath-laying, music and speeches.

At this moment, they all attend a service at Holmen's Church.

Added:
Just watched a clip from the service in the tv news - it’s a important and toching Danish day, and F&M gave each other a very loving proud look when they walked down to lay down their wreath in honour to the Danes who are or have been sent on a mission by Denmark.

A beautiful tradition with our Flag Day
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...mage.png.1c06982816f3db4839b9f2e71b1b2996.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional photos and info:
https://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/overige_nyheder/Pages/Flagdag2020.aspx

I notice that this year it was very much the police who got attention.
Police officers have and are also stationed abroad.

Due to Corona, this years ceremonies were scaled down, so no parade at Christiansborg this year.

Instead an F16 painted as Dannebrog flew across the country today, and also over Kastellet, when M&F were there.

Additional photos and info:
https://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/overige_nyheder/Pages/Flagdag2020.aspx

I notice that this year it was very much the police who got attention.
Police officers have and are also stationed abroad.

Due to Corona, this years ceremonies were scaled down, so no parade at Christiansborg this year.

Instead an F16 painted as Dannebrog flew across the country today, and also over Kastellet, when M&F were there.

This may have been answered here or in another thread but as far as Covid goes in Denmark are most not masking? It's wonderful that the virus has been "beaten back" enough that it isn't necessary.

This may have been answered here or in another thread but as far as Covid goes in Denmark are most not masking? It's wonderful that the virus has been "beaten back" enough that it isn't necessary.

It has indeed been discussed in the Corona thread.

In fact masks are not required except on public transportation. And that has only been introduced recently due to an increase in the number of infections.

He could earn a living as a narrator, because his Danish is very clear and well-pronounced.
Because good narrators sure don't hang on trees! :whistling:
And it's a problem for those of us, who are having problems hearing. Especially voices.

Is there normally a church service?

Thanks Polyesco for the photos and videos! They both look great. And can Frederik look more handsome in uniform! I saw on one of the photo websites that in a few of the photos it looks like he becomes very emotional at one point.

Another article and video from today's events
https://www.billedbladet.dk/video/7HIWI8Mj/wjk8dmSY

Thanks Polyesco for the photos and videos! They both look great. And can Frederik look more handsome in uniform! I saw on one of the photo websites that in a few of the photos it looks like he becomes very emotional at one point.

Indeed.
That was at the point where the relatives of those who have died, laid flowers at the memorial.

(..)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2021.
Written By Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know M&F represented the DRF on the annual Flag Day, which started at Kastellet in Copenhagen. Kastellet = the citadel is a part of the fortifications in and around Copenhagen. Today it's a military HQ.
Here they laid down a wreath at the memorial for those who have taken part in missions abroad since 1948, and on that monument are inscribed the names of those who have died while on these missions. (*)
Frederik, wearing the full dress uniform of rear admiral, and Mary paid they respect with a brief moment of contemplation.
After which a number of speeches and what is often considered a third national anthem (by H C Andersen) "In Denmark I am Born" was sung. (**)
Then relatives of some of those whose names are on the moment got up and laid flowers and wreaths themselves at the monument. And it was here both Frederik and Mary had to wipe away a tear.

Later they attended a memorial service in Holmens Kirke = the Naval Church, where also a number of relatives took part.

The day ended at Christiansborg Square, in front of the Parliament with a parade with veterans, both soldiers, police officers, Civil Defense personnel, Home Guardsmen and others took part.

(*) There is no distinction as to how they died, be that enemy action, accidents or suicide. The result is the same for themselves and their loved ones; they died.

(**) There are two official Danish anthems. The national anthem and the royal anthem.
To that there are an additional three songs I'd say sometimes serve as anthems depending on the situation.
This one by H C Andersen, rhymes better and has a better lyric than the national anthem. It is also more solemn while the official national anthem is more allround.
To that there are two more, one being called In a Land Without/Devoid of High Mountains which is more contemplative.

"For the second year in a row, His Royal Highness Prince Joachim has voted for the Armed Forces' video, which is a tribute to Dannebrog and to the Danish veterans who over time have contributed to the world's hotspots

On Monday, September 5, it is Flag Day . The purpose of Flag Day is to honor persons who are or have been deployed on behalf of Denmark, and in this connection the Armed Forces is today launching a video to make Danes aware of Flag Day."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch_0XQugkSF/

Thank you, Eya. :flowers:

A minor correction though: Joachim narrated the video - he did not vote.

Google translate is indeed getting very good but some nuances are still lost.
The phrase here is best translated to Joachim lending his voice = (in this case) narrating.
But "stemme" = voice, also means to vote.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For the 3rd year in a row Prince Joachim has narrated a short video paying tribute to veterans just ahead of Flag Day. The video can be found at the link below. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page.
https://forsvaret.dk/da/side/flagdag/

Americans might be interested to know that, despite being a small country, Denmark had, I believe, the highest number of fatalities per capita among the western coalition countries during the recent War of Afghanistan (2001-2021). Danish forces were in Afghanistan from January 2002 until July 2013. The people of the United States, as they like to say, should "thank them for their service".

The countries with the highest absolute number of fatalities among the western allies in Afghanistan were of course, in that order, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

EDIT: I agree Frederik and Mary looked very "regal". It is curious that the Queen did not attend.

Last edited:
:previous: That is - unfortunately - correct.

A Danish combat battalion was stationed in the north of the Helmand province alongside British forces, with a DK tank squadron stationed in the south in support of mainly US forces, but also British forces.
There was heavy fighting in the Helmand province throughout most of the war.

Americans might be interested to know that, despite being a small country, Denmark had, I believe, the highest number of fatalities per capita among the western coalition countries during the recent War of Afghanistan (2001-2021). Danish forces were in Afghanistan from January 2002 until July 2013. The people of the United States, as they like to say, should "thank them for their service".

The countries with the highest absolute number of fatalities among the western allies in Afghanistan were of course, in that order, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

EDIT: I agree Frederik and Mary looked very "regal". It is curious that the Queen did not attend.

Last time she showed up was 2011. After that, the Crown Prince Couple have taken over this duty/responsibility. From videos it appears that since 2011 Prince Joachim and Princess Marie have attended events. In 2018 CP Mary attended the 3 events in Copenhagen solo as CP Frederik was in the hospital following surgery. I will reiterate now how fantatsic she did and looked that day, especially at the parade...every inch a Queen!

Back
Top Bottom