Flag Day Commemorating Foreign Conflict Since 1948: September 5th (2009, 2012-2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
September 5
The Queen, Prince Consort and the Crown Prince Couple will attend the commemoration of the institute of Flag Day Danish serving abroad since 2 World War II, at Holmen Church at 11:00

Event will take place tomorrow for the first time.
The event will be shown live on TV2

How wonderful. No Prince Joachim?
Can't wait for tommorow. :)

It's a bit sad that prince Joachim and princess Marie did not take part to this celebration! It's a country event and it would have been appropriate that they attended to this mass in order to commemorate fallen soldiers for Denmark.

This looks like a very dignified and lovely tribute to the lost soldiers. I am pleased to see that Denmark is making this an annual event. Hopefully, the entire DRF will be present at next year's events.
Berlingske has an article about the event to honor soliders:
http://www.berlingske.dk/article/20090905/krigen/90905003/

Last edited:
This looks like a very dignified and lovely tribute to the lost soldiers. I am pleased to see that Denmark is making this an annual event. Hopefully, the entire DRF will be present at next year's events.
Berlingske has an article about the event to honor soliders:
Historisk dag for soldaterne - Krigen

Next years event? :flowers:
It's a wonderful event. :)

Next years event? :flowers:
It's a wonderful event. :)

Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part or a detail that was lost in translation. It was stated that this was the first Flag Day, so I took this to mean that the event would happen again.

Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part or a detail that was lost in translation. It was stated that this was the first Flag Day, so I took this to mean that the event would happen again.

Ahh I see what you mean. I do hope this is made an annual event. The soldiers must be extremly proud of their country. :flowers:

It's a bit sad that prince Joachim and princess Marie did not take part to this celebration! It's a country event and it would have been appropriate that they attended to this mass in order to commemorate fallen soldiers for Denmark.

I agree totally! No wonder their rating in popularity is so low. If they cannot even bother to attend something this important, maybe they should not be able to pick up their pay raise. These men and women are dying for their country. They should be able to spare a few hours from one of their many concerts to honor them.:angry:

I agree totally! No wonder their rating in popularity is so low. If they cannot even bother to attend something this important, maybe they should not be able to pick up their pay raise. These men and women are dying for their country. They should be able to spare a few hours from one of their many concerts to honor them.:angry:

A strong opinion, which I agree with. I don't think either Marie or Joachim had anything schedueled for today. :)

I do agree that the entire family should have attended, but does anyone know if they were invited? It is possible that perhaps only the Queen, Prince Consort and the Crown Prince couple were invited. If Joachim and Marie were invited and didn't show up, then that is not good, IMO; but if they weren't invited, then they can't be blamed for not attending (just my opinion).:flowers:

I have seen the Prince in a uniform so he must be a member of the armed services just like the CP, CPrincess, Queen and PC. That is why I do not understand why they would not be invitied. I wish there is some way we could find out for sure.

I don't think we should worry too much about Joachim's and Marie's absence at this event. The presence of only the regent couple and the crown prince couple is no different than what is happening in other countries when only the regnant and cp couples attend major functions.

Although I would like to see Joachim and Marie, I think the royal family is perfectly well represented! They all look radiant and the soldiers must be proud of their royal family, as lumutqueen said. Events like these make a nation so connected to its royal family, IMO :flowers:

I have seen the Prince in a uniform so he must be a member of the armed services just like the CP, CPrincess, Queen and PC. That is why I do not understand why they would not be invitied. I wish there is some way we could find out for sure.

TV 2 Sporten - Kongelig hylder Stephan Andersen

Looks like Joachim attented the game between 'Denmark and Portugal.

The Danish goalkeeper Stephan Andersen had great honor of Denmark's 1-1 against Portugal.
The goal​
keepers action impressed even Prince Joachim.

Thank you Binz! They are not a huge RF like most of the others so his absence is very noticeable.

No, they are not a large family but we also need to realize that sometimes, Joachim and his family will not be in attendance. As of now, Joachim and his sons are 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in line to the throne. When Fred was unmarried and didn't have any kids, Joachim, Felix and Nikolai had more of a media presence but now as they get older and further from secession, that might not be necessary except for us royal watchers.

I think both HM and Crown Princess Mary looked lovely for such a solemn occasion.

Last edited:
The queen and the princess seem to have a good relationship! We can see the 2 women laughing and talking together at the end of the ceremony.

Thank you Binz! They are not a huge RF like most of the others so his absence is very noticeable.

I agree with you, but we still don't know if he was invited to attend this event. The entire family is often not always invited to every function. This event was listed on the DRF's website in the calendar for a while. Joachim and Marie's names were never listed. It was always listed as the Queen and Prince Consort, and the CP couple. Joachim has never shied away from duties or backed out of anything (as far as I know), so it would be very much out of character for him to blow something off to attend a soccer match instead.

Most invitation - at least the once that are nameless - goes directly to the Royal courts and then the Queen, and only her, decides which member of the Royal Family will go to what. In this case, it really makes a lot of sence, only to let the Royal Family be represented by the Crown Prince couple and the Queen and the Prince consort. The Queen (and the Prince consort) because she is the Head of State, and Crown Prince Frederik (and Crownprinces Mary) because he is next in line and the member of the Royal Family who has the closest connection to the military, with education in all 3 branches of the Danish military including the Special Forces of the Royal Danish Navy and he still serves as a Senior lecturer at the Royal Danish Defence College.

Prince Joachim, although also educated in the military and still active in the defence reserve, does not have the same public connection to the military.

For those reasons, and because there is a limit to how many royals you can have at one place at the time, without loosing the focus of what they are there for, only the Queen, the Prince consort and the Crown Prince couple attended.

I do also agree with Zonk. The future is with the Crown Prince couple and they will get most of the high profile "jobs". Especially since they probably wont take over the business for a good many years. And Joachim and his family will slowly get less and less attention. It is simply not needed. Though for the young princes, it might be a different matter.

Perhaps one should assume that the Queen, her family and staff are capable of planning for the events they need to attend. If the Queen thought P Joachim and Marie should be there they would have attended.

Perhaps one should assume that the Queen, her family and staff are capable of planning for the events they need to attend. If the Queen thought P Joachim and Marie should be there they would have attended.

Indeed...:)

The annual Flag Day will take place on 5. September. Here soldiers and civilians who have served (and sometimes died) abroad are honoured.

M&F will take place at a ceremony at Kastellet at 10.00, (part of Copenhagen Fortress, located a little more than a kilometre north of Amalienborg, see Amalienborg thread), here a wreath will be placed.
http://www2.forsvaret.dk/temaer/flagdag/Documents/København.pdf

A clip from the Defence site of M&F placing a wreath at the memorial for the fallen at Kastellet on the annual Flag Day.
http://www.forsvarskanalen.tv/Default.aspx?aid=7919&bhcp=1

READ THIS: Having rechecked I see that the links leads to the same site, so the clips I referred to are (4) and (5) in parantesis.

Within the first 30 seconds or so, we see M&F arriving and for those who enjoy watching Frederik in his full dress navy uniform, he is also shown inspecting the honour guard.
At 03:00 we see M&F placing the wreath and standing still while a sombre version of the royal anthem is played.

I notice there was a Chinese officer present. Perhaps an attache from the embassy?

And a second clip, covering the main events in Copenhagen. http://www.forsvarskanalen.dk/Default.aspx?aid=7972&bhcp=1
M&F are seen intitially outside Christiansborg.
At 01:37 at Kastellet.
And at 02:34 at the service in the naval church.

Last edited:
Today is the annual Flagday, where those who have served abroad are honored and those who died or were wounded - in body and soul, are remembered.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attended a ceremony at Kastellet (part of Copenhagen fortress) this forenoon.

Here is the first (small) pic from the ceremony from TV2: Levende og døde udsendte hyldes - TV 2 Nyhederne
Joachim is wearing the full dress uniform of a lieutenant colonel in the army. Marie is also appropriately attired.

You may wish to keep an eye on this site for further coverage of the event throughout the day.
Flagdag

Back
Top Bottom