State Visit from The Netherlands to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They already did when the King and Queen of Sweden as well the President of China were in Amsterdam. More pictures from unexpected angles. I feel the King will introduce more possibilities. His mother was extremely strict in that aspect (like the British by the way: not even pictures from other royals than the Queen during the banquet for the Mexican visit!)

But why not allow for example filming/photographing when the procession enters the Banquet Hall. In Denmark this is always filmed/photographed even when there is no Live-Coverage like today.

Why did they seat Queen Maxima next to Queen Margerthe and not next to Prince Henrik. I think this is unusual with men next to each other and the woman next to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crown Prince and -Princess have been given the highest civil Dutch Order already (Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw), wow! That is extraordinary, the King and Queen have bypassed the second highest Order for the crown princely couple. Speaks volumes for the King's high regard and appreciation towards Frederik and Mary!

The King really must have genuine appreciation for Crown Prince Frederik and -Princess Mary. It is most unusual that a crown princely couple already receives the highest decorations of the Netherlands. What a lovely geste.

What a very loving gesture indeed from the King to F&M :flowers:

I'm sorry ladies, but I'm almost 100 percent sure that the return event tomorrow will be a ordinary evening dress code - and no tiaras. I don't know what the Dutch traditions are, but in Denmark the returns event the last day are always without tiaras and bling bling.

Mary is wearing her beautiful white/gold gown from the New Years Court:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1433907151_bc010858f781caa3272b6caaaca749b3

Last edited:
A very good speech from Queen Margrethe - the last bit touched my heart
Both speeches were very warm and mirrored the good relationship. But I think the Queen spoke really badly, constantly stumbling over words (I don't know why people complain about Frederik's speeches, when the Queen speaks like that after more than 40 years of practice ;)). King WA's speech was much better.

Why did they seat Queen Maxima next to Queen Margerthe and not next to Prince Henrik. I think this is unusual with men next to each other and the woman next to each other.
Because Queen Margrethe is a man - well, at least when it comes to the seating at these occasions :flowers:
I have heard a long explanation from Christian Eugen-Olsen once, but I can´t remember the long explanation...

Of course... how could he bypass his very own godmother on such a day...

:flowers:
You are so right, I was just happy to hear him confirm it :flowers:

Both speeches were very warm and mirrored the good relationship. But I think the Queen spoke really badly, constantly stumbling over words (I don't know why people complain about Frederik's speeches, when the Queen speaks like that after more than 40 years of practice ;)). King WA's speech was much better.
She did indeed speek very badly. I´ve noticed this over the past few years. I think it has something to do with her age and sight, but I´m only guessing here.

Tomorrow I expect black tie and nice jewels but no diadems. But even without diadems someone can stun with jewels, of course. See example. (click on the picture itself for mega-XL)

A very good speech from Queen Margrethe - the last bit touched my heart

King Willem Alexander's speech touched my heart as well; both worked brilliantly together to cover the past, present and future of relations between 'two small nations united in a single goal of happiness through shared common values.' Bravo Your Majesties (and speechwriters!):flowers:

Quite a number of the guests are actors from the TV-series Borgen, which is apparently extremely popular in the Netherlands, at least one former soccer Danish player who has played NL is there too. - You ask the guests at such visits who they would like to have as selected guests for such a gala dinner. And the Dutch seems to have wished for their presence.

Just saw Princess Marie arriving on TV2, no smiles and no greeting towards the guards, hmmm...
:ermm:

Well, our Marie is actually following the protocol.

When Joachim arrives, he, as son of the Monarch and as such also the highest ranking representative for the Monarch take over the command of the guards detachment. (Even if he is formally outranked by other officers). As such h inspects the honor guard.

When Frederik arrives, he takes over command, because he is the Crown Prince. And he then inspects the guard.

And finally QMII arrives and inspects the honor guard, because she is the Monarch as well as the formally commander in chief.

Neither Mary, Marie or Prince Henrik has a role in this. Nor does Benedikte. She holds no military rank.

Quite a number of the guests are actors from the TV-series Borgen, which is apparently extremely popular in the Netherlands, at least one former soccer Danish player who has played NL is there too. - You ask the guests at such visits who they would like to have as selected guests for such a gala dinner. And the Dutch seems to have wished for their presence.

In fact there are two former danish soccer players: Søren Lerby and Frank Arnesen :)

I'm sorry ladies, but I'm almost 100 percent sure that the return event tomorrow will be a ordinary evening dress code - and no tiaras. I don't know what the Dutch traditions are, but in Denmark the returns event the last day are always without tiaras and bling bling.
AFAIR there was only one state visit from another monarchy in the last 10 years (Sweden in 2007) and the return event was with tiaras. We will see..

She did indeed speek very badly. I´ve noticed this over the past few years. I think it has something to do with her age and sight, but I´m only guessing here.

I noticed that too and her accent was a little more pronounced. I too think it's because she's getting older, and tired I think.
She's always stumbled over the words, that's part of her charm. - But make no mistake she can verbally take apart anyone stupid enough to challenge or annoy her, and she has done so quite a number of times!

If anyone should be in doubt that Mary and Queen Maxima are very comfortable together, look no further: Máxima and Mary are surprised by Dutch fans | Royalista

BT gallery from the gala, guests arriving: Se billederne: Politikere, fodboldstjerner, skuespillere og kongelige til gallamiddag | www.bt.dk

Has anybody seen Princess Elisabeth? Her presence was announced on the court calendar.

I noticed that too and her accent was a little more pronounced. I too think it's because she's getting older, and tired I think.
She's always stumbled over the words, that's part of her charm. - But make no mistake she can verbally take apart anyone stupid enough to challenge or annoy her, and she has done so quite a number of times!
Oh yes, don´t annoy "Vor Moder", then she can take you down with just a sentence or a look :eek::eek::eek:
And I just love her for being able to do that :wub:

Søren Lerby and Frank Arnesen were both very succesful, both with the Dutch teams Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven, both winners of the Champions League with these teams as well. The King, a keen sports lover, will have thought about these succesful Danes when reviewing the guestlist.

AFAIR there was only one state visit from another monarchy in the last 10 years (Sweden in 2007) and the return event was with tiaras. We will see..
The return dinner is hosted by the visiting head of state, so they set the dress code for the event. The Swedish like to have white tie at their return dinners, Queen Beatrix usually had no tiaras for the return invitation. And this time it is up to King WA, he can keep it the way his mother did or he could change it. Tomorrow evening we will know more.

Doesn't Maxima's gown look very similar to the one she wore to her husband's inauguration -- sans the cape? It certainly is the very same color.

Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg was the scapegoat for the romance of Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands with Claus von Amsberg.

Via Prince Richard, his friend Claus von Amsberg (a German aristocrat) was invited for the pre-wedding ball of his sister Princess Tatiana zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg with Prince Moritz, Landgrave of Hessen. It was there, on that ball, that Prince Willem-Alexander's mother and father definitely fell for each other.

What a wonderful geste for Prince Richard to travel to the airport for the welcome ceremony!

Thank you for this detail of which I had no knowledge! I recall the interview with the then Claus von Amsberg who spoke of the 'thunderbolt' that hit him when he met the beautiful Dutch princess Beatrix. How lovely for her son to meet Prince Richard in his 'new capacity' as king:flowers:

TV2 main channel is showing the gala now and one of the commentators said about Mary wearing a less spectacular tiara, was simply out of respect for Queen Maxima.
Mary and QM are of similar age, so Mary dressed down out of respect and for not being seen trying to upstage a Majesty.

Doesn't Maxima's gown look very similar to the one she wore to her husband's inauguration -- sans the cape? It certainly is the very same color.

It is the same gown! A daring choice, but appropriate as this is also her inaugural visit as Queen to Denmark:flowers:

Last edited:
Is HM wearing a new gown? This colour appears a little different from her other gown of similar style.

Is HM wearing a new gown? This colour appears a little different from her other gown of similar style.
Jesper Høvring said that it was a new dress made by... Hmm... Was it Birgitte Thaulow? :ermm: Anyway, he said that Queen Margrethe wore a new dress.

Last edited:
what a shame to see Mary in just her wedding tiara. I was holding out for the Ruby. It would be a bit too grand to wear the Ruby to the return dinner.
As Muhler pointed out earlier then the theory is that CPss Mary opted for the wedding tiara out of respect for Queen Máxima.

Muhler´s post:
TV2 main channel is showing the gala now and one of the commentators said about Mary wearing a less spectacular tiara, was simply out of respect for Queen Maxima.
Mary and QM are of similar age, so Mary dressed down out of respect and for not being seen trying to upstage a Majesty.

Back
Top Bottom