The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Note also that back then the Queen used her ancient silver. Tonight she used 19th C gilded tableware.

IIRC then the gilded tableware was a gift to Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort at their silver wedding in 1992, so she couldn´t hardly have used it in 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Watching DR's coverage now - much better than TV2's - as usual.
Yes, I totally agree And the fact that Tine Gøtzsche excused herself for talking under "Kong Christian" that´s not something you would hear on TV2. I shouldn´t watch TV-2, when DR1 are so much better

Old 03-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Great photos thank to everyone who posted the links. I am so pleased to see Prince Richard attend. Have missed that scowly face.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. It is really, really special that the King decided to leave the Order of Orange-Nassau (which is usually for Heirs) aside and go for the highest, the Order of the Netherlands Lion. I think the only time this happened to a foreign royal was to Princess Margaret of the United Kingdom in 1948, leaving the Nassau relatives in Luxembourg out of the eye.

Usually Crown Prince Frederik should have received this Order (the sash and the upper star 8-pointed star). Another one from Norway. And another one from Belgium. Etc.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

My apologies for not clarifying which Her Majesty I was referring to about the gown. Thanks Faster B for the info on HM Margrethe's gown.
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Do you have a video of the Queen's Speech ?
The NOS has two clips (scroll down):

Máxima haalt inauguratiejurk weer tevoorschijn | NOS
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
IIRC then the gilded tableware was a gift to Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort at their silver wedding in 1992, so she couldn´t hardly have used it in 1984
1992? Really? They already look eh... "used" (I miss the golden sparkle) and the design is quite mid-1800's I must say. Here you see similar design pieces in the Dutch collection but these are from the 1850's.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
My apologies for not clarifying which Her Majesty I was referring to about the gown. Thanks Faster B for the info on HM Margrethe's gown.
No harm done

Quote:
1992? Really? They already look eh... "used" (I miss the golden sparkle) and the design is quite mid-1800's I must say. Here you see similar design pieces in the Dutch collection but these are from the 1850's.

Oh, perhaps you are talking about the centerpieces with the flowers in? I thought it was the forks, knifes, spoons and so on

Here is what the DRF´s webpage tells about the centerpieces: "The floral decorations at the State Banquet consist of carnations and spring flowers, primarily narcissuses in green, white and cream-coloured shades. The flowers are arranged lightly and are placed on the tables in centrepieces that originate from Frederik VI's dessert service with motifs of sea lions, small guardian spirits and dolphins."
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The King really must have genuine appreciation for Crown Prince Frederik and -Princess Mary. It is most unusual that a crown princely couple already receives the highest decorations of the Netherlands. What a lovely geste.

that is indeed a lovely gesture
thank you for including the information on the orders and slaches

Now the winner of the night was clearly this handsome man
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/432/8/1...sborg-slot.jpg
nothing better than Frederik in uniform : D
and his charming smile
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f1747f2c44.jpg

Mary looks great as well
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...5526916fd9ae06

Today was a great success.
such warmth between the two families, especially Frederik and WA and Mary and Maxima was nice to see
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Oh yes Polyesco we do so love a man in uniform. Why is That!!! I don't know.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Courtier

'It's with a great pleasure that the kin..Prince consort and I'
Margrethe i gigant-ups: Kaldte hun lige Henrik for konge? | GO'

Freudian slip anyone :p?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Hey, easy to do when there's two Queens in blue. No worries. :)

Everyone looks so amazing tonight and happy to see that incredable dress on Maxima again. Queen Margrethe's also looked stunning tonight. She needs to wear Wedgewood Blue more often as it really does wonders for her.

As far as Mary, she did it perfectly IMO. Tonight was not the night for a new gown and her big gun tiara to be worn. She knew that and when you consider how close the two couples are and how important this state visit is for Their Majesties, their first to another Monarchy IIRC, no way was Mary going to show up her friend and now also a Queen.

I am wondering about those earrings though, as I haven't seen them before, but they are stunners. Will have to take a closer look at the pics to see if I can give making them a shot. :)

Of course the biggest and most surprising accessory both Mary and Frederick worn tonight were their new Orders. It is indeed a wonderful sign of just how close the friendship is and how high the level of respect Willem-Alexander has for The Crown Prince Couple. :)

Those pictures from the airport w/Willem-Alexander coming down those stairs w/arms wide open, a big beaming smile on his face and headed straight for a hug w/not just a fellow Monarch, but his Godmother? . Just really set the tone of the Visit IMO.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

State Dinner

Mary's aquamarine French style three drop earrings.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree, her wedding tiara was a perfect choice over her rubies. It was a gesture of deep respect for both Margrethe and Maxima as Queens. Mary is the crown princess and it was not her place to compete with the two queens. There was a delineation between the monarchs and the crown prince couple, as there should be. She chose her jewels perfectly IMO.

Mary has had her aquamarine chandelier earrings for several years.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
'It's with a great pleasure that the kin..Prince consort and I'
Margrethe i gigant-ups: Kaldte hun lige Henrik for konge? | GO'

Freudian slip anyone :p?
I like the Danish 'ups' to describe a definite 'blooper' that may have been deliberate on Queen Margrethe's part; as others have noticed, the Queen was stumbling over some of her text and I wonder if the preparations for this visit were perhaps a bit too taxing for her. We have seen the very hands-on way she approaches such projects and I would not be surprised if her King/Princely husband was not even in her thoughts when she misread her text. I will wager that she was thinking of her godson and not her husband!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Nobility

At first I was a little surprised that Mary didn't wear the rubies, but after reading the comments of others, I have to agree that she did the right thing. The aquamarines she was wearing complimented the Dutch orders, another sign of respect. Everyone looked wonderful, and let's not forget Princess Beneditke, who was especially elegant.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

This would have been a perfect opportunity for Mary to wear her ceylon sapphire brooch. Imagine with the aquas.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
that is indeed a lovely gesture
thank you for including the information on the orders and slaches

Now the winner of the night was clearly this handsome man
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/432/8/1...sborg-slot.jpg
nothing better than Frederik in uniform : D
and his charming smile
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f1747f2c44.jpg

Mary looks great as well
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...5526916fd9ae06
I would like also to put a word in for the dashing evening shoes worn by Prince Henrik; the monogrammed "H" must not go unsung!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
TV2 main channel is showing the gala now and one of the commentators said about Mary wearing a less spectacular tiara, was simply out of respect for Queen Maxima.
Mary and QM are of similar age, so Mary dressed down out of respect and for not being seen trying to upstage a Majesty.
I think it was more out of respect for Queen Margrethe.
A second reason may be that only recently she already wore that dress with the ruby tiara and she likes to vary.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh yes Polyesco we do so love a man in uniform. Why is That!!! I don't know.
I saw hussars (cavalerists) from the Gardehusarregimentet in their splendid uniforms, attending the state banquet as well. They were really the best dressed from all gentlemen. Wow.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I really like this picture of Mary
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

What a coincidence that the two Queen's are in blue, nevertheless they both stood out in their own way. Mary looked lovely last night.

Tags
king willem-alexander, prince henrik, queen margrethe, queen margrethe ii, queen maxima, state visit