State Visit from The Netherlands to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stand corrected, there were three persons with the prefix HM
;)

And a fourth who wished he had the prefix HM too...
:lol:

Oh, don´t stand corrected, Duc_et_Pair, I just made it clear, when the light went up for me that there were at least two persons to fit the prefix HM and the word gown :ROFLMAO:

As Muhler pointed out earlier then the theory is that CPss Mary opted for the wedding tiara out of respect for Queen Máxima.

Muhler´s post:

somehow I imagine Max would have loved to have seen the Ruby out on display. I feel like we see the Ruby tiara so little, this would have been the perfect time for it.

Love Margrethe's new dress. it's a gorgeous cut and color.

The big show starts now! M&F and J&M arriving.

Ah, for once Frederik don't sit next to the Prime Minister. Good!
If she should bite him, he would have to sleep in a coffin in the basement for eternity...
:eek: Is there a security issue that you wish to share with us Muhler???:p

I agree. Queen Máxima is the last one to feel envy about other ladies wearing nice pieces. She knows she has an enormous collection and is able to engage into the eh.... "competition"...

It is not clear how ladies chose. When Queen Beatrix visited Denmark, she wore her smallest diadem, see picture (click on the picture itself to expand). So size seems not important here.

Note also that back then the Queen used her ancient silver. Tonight she used 19th C gilded tableware.

:flowers:

Watching DR's coverage now - much better than TV2's - as usual. Great speeches. But no Margrethe isn't a good speaker, and it gets worse as the years goes me thinks. But the lady is also 75 years.

Mary not wearing her biggest tiara tonight? Over the years we have seen that Mary tends to "dress down" in jewels to events which are not about her/or her and Frederik. Tonight's gala the "main characters" are the Regent couple and the visiting King and Queen of the Netherlands. As the commentators indeed said it's what Mary is so brilliant to and it says a lot about her down to earth personality :wub:

It has really been wonderful to see all that warmth. And the King and Queen showing their appreciation for F&M giving them such a high order. The two young couples must definitely feel a special bond and caring for each other. They just have a huge responsibility on their tiny shoulders which only very few in this world can understand.

Last edited:
I agree - I really like Queen Margrethe's dress. It's a style that really suits her and the material is just gorgeous :flowers:

Maxima looks stunning! I'm glad she wore that amazing gown again.

Note also that back then the Queen used her ancient silver. Tonight she used 19th C gilded tableware.

IIRC then the gilded tableware was a gift to Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort at their silver wedding in 1992, so she couldn´t hardly have used it in 1984 :lol::whistling:

Watching DR's coverage now - much better than TV2's - as usual.
Yes, I totally agree :flowers: And the fact that Tine Gøtzsche excused herself for talking under "Kong Christian" that´s not something you would hear on TV2. I shouldn´t watch TV-2, when DR1 are so much better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos thank to everyone who posted the links. I am so pleased to see Prince Richard attend. Have missed that scowly face.

I agree. It is really, really special that the King decided to leave the Order of Orange-Nassau (which is usually for Heirs) aside and go for the highest, the Order of the Netherlands Lion. I think the only time this happened to a foreign royal was to Princess Margaret of the United Kingdom in 1948, leaving the Nassau relatives in Luxembourg out of the eye.

Usually Crown Prince Frederik should have received this Order (the sash and the upper star 8-pointed star). Another one from Norway. And another one from Belgium. Etc.

My apologies for not clarifying which Her Majesty I was referring to about the gown. Thanks Faster B for the info on HM Margrethe's gown.

IIRC then the gilded tableware was a gift to Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort at their silver wedding in 1992, so she couldn´t hardly have used it in 1984 :lol::whistling:

1992? Really? They already look eh... "used" (I miss the golden sparkle) and the design is quite mid-1800's I must say. Here you see similar design pieces in the Dutch collection but these are from the 1850's.

My apologies for not clarifying which Her Majesty I was referring to about the gown. Thanks Faster B for the info on HM Margrethe's gown.
No harm done :flowers::flowers::flowers:

1992? Really? They already look eh... "used" (I miss the golden sparkle) and the design is quite mid-1800's I must say. Here you see similar design pieces in the Dutch collection but these are from the 1850's.

Oh, perhaps you are talking about the centerpieces with the flowers in? I thought it was the forks, knifes, spoons and so on :bang::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here is what the DRF´s webpage tells about the centerpieces: "The floral decorations at the State Banquet consist of carnations and spring flowers, primarily narcissuses in green, white and cream-coloured shades. The flowers are arranged lightly and are placed on the tables in centrepieces that originate from Frederik VI's dessert service with motifs of sea lions, small guardian spirits and dolphins."

The King really must have genuine appreciation for Crown Prince Frederik and -Princess Mary. It is most unusual that a crown princely couple already receives the highest decorations of the Netherlands. What a lovely geste.

that is indeed a lovely gesture
thank you for including the information on the orders and slaches

Now the winner of the night was clearly this handsome man
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/432/8/...ter-til-gallamiddag-p-christiansborg-slot.jpg
nothing better than Frederik in uniform : D
and his charming smile
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/93/94/a8/9394a8990724089ae92725f1747f2c44.jpg

Mary looks great as well
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1434215750_a87e5cdf51a2ac5dbe5526916fd9ae06

Today was a great success.
such warmth between the two families, especially Frederik and WA and Mary and Maxima was nice to see

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes Polyesco we do so love a man in uniform. Why is That!!! I don't know.

Hey, easy to do when there's two Queens in blue. No worries. :)

Everyone looks so amazing tonight and happy to see that incredable dress on Maxima again. Queen Margrethe's also looked stunning tonight. She needs to wear Wedgewood Blue more often as it really does wonders for her.

As far as Mary, she did it perfectly IMO. Tonight was not the night for a new gown and her big gun tiara to be worn. She knew that and when you consider how close the two couples are and how important this state visit is for Their Majesties, their first to another Monarchy IIRC, no way was Mary going to show up her friend and now also a Queen.

I am wondering about those earrings though, as I haven't seen them before, but they are stunners. Will have to take a closer look at the pics to see if I can give making them a shot. :)

Of course the biggest and most surprising accessory both Mary and Frederick worn tonight were their new Orders. It is indeed a wonderful sign of just how close the friendship is and how high the level of respect Willem-Alexander has for The Crown Prince Couple. :)

Those pictures from the airport w/Willem-Alexander coming down those stairs w/arms wide open, a big beaming smile on his face and headed straight for a hug w/not just a fellow Monarch, but his Godmother? :D. Just really set the tone of the Visit IMO.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

State Dinner

Mary's aquamarine French style three drop earrings.

Attachments

• 05 Aquamarine french drops 2004.jpg
    05 Aquamarine french drops 2004.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,307
Agree, her wedding tiara was a perfect choice over her rubies. It was a gesture of deep respect for both Margrethe and Maxima as Queens. Mary is the crown princess and it was not her place to compete with the two queens. There was a delineation between the monarchs and the crown prince couple, as there should be. She chose her jewels perfectly IMO.

Mary has had her aquamarine chandelier earrings for several years.

Last edited:
'It's with a great pleasure that the kin..Prince consort and I'
Margrethe i gigant-ups: Kaldte hun lige Henrik for konge? | GO'

Freudian slip anyone :p?

I like the Danish 'ups' to describe a definite 'blooper' that may have been deliberate on Queen Margrethe's part; as others have noticed, the Queen was stumbling over some of her text and I wonder if the preparations for this visit were perhaps a bit too taxing for her. We have seen the very hands-on way she approaches such projects and I would not be surprised if her King/Princely husband was not even in her thoughts when she misread her text. I will wager that she was thinking of her godson and not her husband!:flowers:

At first I was a little surprised that Mary didn't wear the rubies, but after reading the comments of others, I have to agree that she did the right thing. The aquamarines she was wearing complimented the Dutch orders, another sign of respect. Everyone looked wonderful, and let's not forget Princess Beneditke, who was especially elegant. :flowers:

This would have been a perfect opportunity for Mary to wear her ceylon sapphire brooch. Imagine with the aquas.

that is indeed a lovely gesture
thank you for including the information on the orders and slaches

Now the winner of the night was clearly this handsome man
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/432/8/...ter-til-gallamiddag-p-christiansborg-slot.jpg
nothing better than Frederik in uniform : D
and his charming smile
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/93/94/a8/9394a8990724089ae92725f1747f2c44.jpg

Mary looks great as well
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1434215750_a87e5cdf51a2ac5dbe5526916fd9ae06

I would like also to put a word in for the dashing evening shoes worn by Prince Henrik; the monogrammed "H" must not go unsung!:flowers:

TV2 main channel is showing the gala now and one of the commentators said about Mary wearing a less spectacular tiara, was simply out of respect for Queen Maxima.
Mary and QM are of similar age, so Mary dressed down out of respect and for not being seen trying to upstage a Majesty.
I think it was more out of respect for Queen Margrethe.
A second reason may be that only recently she already wore that dress with the ruby tiara and she likes to vary.

Oh yes Polyesco we do so love a man in uniform. Why is That!!! I don't know.

I saw hussars (cavalerists) from the Gardehusarregimentet in their splendid uniforms, attending the state banquet as well. They were really the best dressed from all gentlemen. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom