The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I notice that the Scandinavian Royals and the British the ladys use this brooche in formal events with the photo of the Queen/King but not the Dutch, is any reason for that?
It's the Royal Family Order.

Royal Family Order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Nobility

Thank you very much to everyone who has kept us updated with this wonderful occasion

I have enjoyed watching the events so much (and rather sad it is over).

Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Incidentally medaillons were given but not on such a regular scheme as in the countries you mentioned. On this picture you see a medaillon depicting Prince Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, wearing the insignia of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, given to his spouse Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal.

It were not always medaillons. On this picture you see a golden bracelet with a medaillon depicting the then Prince of Orange (the later King Willem II) which was given to his spouse Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia.

On this picture you probably see the most expensive medaillon around: the profile of King Willem III carved in a rock-hard diamond! Given to his spouse Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

So apparently the Dutch had this habit too, often in very expensive form, but maybe it 'died' because the royal family became extremely small: King Willem III survived all his sons and had only one daughter from his second marriage. Queen Wilhelmina had only one daughter. So for decades the royal family consisted of no more than two/three persons.
Thank you! it is incredible! I could not see the third photo, but the first one and the second one, are incredible. you know actually I thought that can be a nice gesture between communers when the familys gather together for a big event to have this kind of medallons but with the photo of the people that passed and we love , like my mother could have my fother in a medallion and my cousins their mother , but I tried to find wher e to get it done and even in the most cheap materials still expensive. but I think it is a nice thought! I don't know what it was the idea behin them in those days
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Dutch State Visit to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

I have a question regarding the state banquet. Is it just dinner with music playing during dinner? Or is it like a state dinner in the United States where the dinner has music playing in the background but once the meal is over guests move into another room for some type of cultural performance (ie a small concert or dance performance). I have never seen anything regarding this on the boards before.

And if it's just dinner, do guests leave once the royals are out of the room? Or does the queen politely dismiss them by saying thank you for coming and hoping the guests get the hint to leave? I'm not sure what the protocol is and I'm curious as we've had dinner parties before where guests truly don't get the hint that it's over and they need to leave.

Perhaps Muhler, who is so knowledgeable about these things might know something. Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I have a question regarding the state banquet. Is it just dinner with music playing during dinner? Or is it like a state dinner in the United States where the dinner has music playing in the background but once the meal is over guests move into another room for some type of cultural performance (ie a small concert or dance performance). I have never seen anything regarding this on the boards before.

And if it's just dinner, do guests leave once the royals are out of the room? Or does the queen politely dismiss them by saying thank you for coming and hoping the guests get the hint to leave? I'm not sure what the protocol is and I'm curious as we've had dinner parties before where guests truly don't get the hint that it's over and they need to leave.

Perhaps Muhler, who is so knowledgeable about these things might know something. Thank you in advance!!

Beforehand, i.e. the 70's and 80's it was common for the guests to be shuttled to a gala performance at the National Theater. Usually a ballet, A Folks Tale (the national ballet-performance). That was shown live on the only public service channel back then.
But nowadays it's dinner with music and then coffee, brandy and what else in adjescent rooms. The royals mingle and talk to as many guests as possible, albeit only a few words. But quite a few representatives for businesses and culture are invited to such gala dinners as well and they more or less talk business while waiting for a royal to get near. - Or perhaps waiting for their turn to approach the Regent Couple and the visiting head of state, because I don't think QMII and PH do a lot of walking anymore. It's much more likely they leave the actual mingling to the younger royals I.e. Mary, Frederik, Joachim and our Marie.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Beforehand, i.e. the 70's and 80's it was common for the guests to be shuttled to a gala performance at the National Theater. Usually a ballet, A Folks Tale (the national ballet-performance). That was shown live on the only public service channel back then.
But nowadays it's dinner with music and then coffee, brandy and what else in adjescent rooms. The royals mingle and talk to as many guests as possible, albeit only a few words. But quite a few representatives for businesses and culture are invited to such gala dinners as well and they more or less talk business while waiting for a royal to get near. - Or perhaps waiting for their turn to approach the Regent Couple and the visiting head of state, because I don't think QMII and PH do a lot of walking anymore. It's much more likely they leave the actual mingling to the younger royals I.e. Mary, Frederik, Joachim and our Marie.

Thank you so much Muhler!! I knew that you would have the answer! It is much appreciated!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Thank you! it is incredible! I could not see the third photo, but the first one and the second one, are incredible. you know actually I thought that can be a nice gesture between communers when the familys gather together for a big event to have this kind of medallons but with the photo of the people that passed and we love , like my mother could have my fother in a medallion and my cousins their mother , but I tried to find wher e to get it done and even in the most cheap materials still expensive. but I think it is a nice thought! I don't know what it was the idea behin them in those days
See the attachment, it was a picture made by an online-exposition of miniatures of the Orange-Nassaus by the Koninklijk Huisarchief in The Hague, years ago. This one is the medaillon with King Willem III's profile carved in a large diamond (!) and given to his fiancée Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

With the 're-styling' of the Royal House website sadly lots of detail pictures were removed. This was stored on my pc.

Attached Images

Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Nobility

Did Princess Elisabeth receive an order from Willem Alexander?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
Did Princess Elisabeth receive an order from Willem Alexander?
So to see Princess Elisabeth has not received an Order by Queen Juliana (1953), Queen Beatrix (1984) or King Willem-Alexander (2015)...

Or she has received an Order but forgot to wear it? No idea...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
See the attachment, it was a picture made by an online-exposition of miniatures of the Orange-Nassaus by the Koninklijk Huisarchief in The Hague, years ago. This one is the medaillon with King Willem III's profile carved in a large diamond (!) and given to his fiancée Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

With the 're-styling' of the Royal House website sadly lots of detail pictures were removed. This was stored on my pc.

wow I can not imagine the cost of that!! diamonds, platinum hummm exquisite!
the other ones, what kind of material they were using for the photos, actually are not photos correct?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Majesty

More gifs:

Come, let's go.

LeRoyalRealm
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Gentry

Nice picture of King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima, Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard at the gala night (picture from tumblr)

Het Koninklijk Huis : Photo
Old 03-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Very nice hair of Queen Máxima. The dress looks good on her. I'm not a big fan of Crown Princess Mary's dress.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It indeed was a great state visit!

Oh I want to know what makes them so cracking up

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...823ddc8adb9127
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...3def07d8fa2233
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...a8&oe=55B79E69

A great picture of the foursome me thinks:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...9222f69d3b801f
Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Two Dutch tv programmes about the visit:

Blauw Bloed (from 5 min. to 23 min.)

Blauw Bloed: Koningspaar op staatsbezoek in Denemarken kijk je op NPO.nl

It shows that the ladies had some troubles with the hats on the boat from the island. Mary joked if she could use a hat pin of the queen. And the queen immidiately said ' take it'.

==
And a 23 minutes report from the NOS:

NOS Koningspaar in Denemarken kijk je op NPO.nl

Tags
king willem-alexander, prince henrik, queen margrethe, queen margrethe ii, queen maxima, state visit