Death & Funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg: March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So at the Entrance the Royals Guests were welcomed by german Royals. Many of them kissed them.

So at the Entrance the Royals Guests were welcomed by german Royals. Many of them kissed them.

I have seen guests welcomed also by Baron Philipp von Malsen-Plessen. Male guests greeted, females kissed.

Last edited:

Fitting as several are his nephews, or close family. Ottingen I don't believe.

Benedikte was stoic but sign of the time she was raised in. Did see the pain in some photos. Touching seeing Anne Marie by her side. I am sure having her extended family there helped. Richard was obviously a loved grandfather, Ingrid and her brother both seemed upset, even if he less visible.

I see the Berlebergs and foreign royals. Anyone know if Richards Swedish relatives were represented? He was raised for years in his grandfather's home, I'd think he'd have remained close. Maybe not.

As Queen Elizabeth once said, "Grief is the price we pay for love." That is starkly illustrated in these moving photos.

Anyone know if Richards Swedish relatives were represented? He was raised for years in his grandfather's home, I'd think he'd have remained close. Maybe not.

Yes, they were there.

I love the eye for detail by King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, both wore the bâton (miniature) of a Knight (Dame) in the Order of the Elephant (Denmark) in their lapels. A nice nod to Princess Benedikte. Picture: http://static1.purepeople.com/artic...e-maxima-des-pays-bas-et-la-princ-950x0-1.jpg

It is interesting that it are the traditional north-European monarchies which were represented. The many noble guests attending the funeral (Sayn, Lippe, Waldeck und Pyrmont, Solms, Hessen, etc.) all have historic links with these monarchies.

Last edited by a moderator:
PEE was there because of their Royals.
Sad no pictures of the many German Royals !

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #12, 2017.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen & Henrik Salling.

Tuesday morning in the yard of Schloss Berleburg at 09.00.
The employees and representatives of local shooting associations were standing in the yard, when the front door went up and the family stepped. The flag over the schloss was flying at half mast and a large drum kept a slow beat. And now the coffin was carried out from the chapel across the yard to the hearse that was waiting to take it to the local church, followed by the family.
Benedikte walked with her grandson, Count Richard, by her side. - And he remained by her side most of that day.
Alexandra stood with her daughter and comforted her, while struggling with her own tears.
Right behind the coffin walked Prince Gustav, carrying his father's orders.
Carina Axelsson gave up fighting her tears.
Present that forenoons was also Queen Anne-Marie who at some point held her sister, Benedikte's hand, when the hearse had left.

The funeral, or rather the funeral ceremony, took place Wednesday at 14.00.
QMII and PH arrived an hour before the ceremony and made a brief stop at Schloss Berleburg before going to the church, Evangelishe Stadtkirche.
Just before that the entire Greek RF arrived as well. That is King Konstantin and Queen Anne-Marie as well as their five children.
Present were some 400 invited guests, who listened to the sermon by the priest, Claudia Latzel Binder. The ceremony lasted a little more than an hour.
That included the music from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Spring. Nature and Spring was the theme for the decoration of the church.
- Princess Benedikte, originally wished for the service to be public, but that had to be changed for security reasons.

When the service ended Benedikte again left the church with her grandson, Count Richard by her side.
Outside the church Mary went up to King Konstantin and Queen Anne-Marie, who were in tears. She curtsied to the King, who kissed in return kissed her hand and cheek.

Some of the 400 guests then went to a reception at Schloss Berleburg. The royals being driven while the other guests strolled for the five minutes it took to walk the distance.
A number of DRF Danish friends are also personal close friends of the Berleburgs and many of them attended.

Denmark was actually without a head of state for several hours, because no Rigsforstander had been appointed. That is not needed if the Monarch returns from abroad on the same day.

Later that day Prince Richard was cremated and later his urn will be interred at the family-grave-site at the forest cemetery Sengelsberg at Bad Berleburg on the estate of Schloss Berleburg.
That will take place at a not yet disclosed date and attended only by the nearest family members.
Here Prince Richard's mother, Fürstin Margareta has also been laid to rest.

You can find the report here: BB #12, 2017

I love the eye for detail by King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, both wore the bâton (miniature) of a Knight (Dame) in the Order of the Elephant (Denmark) in their lapels. A nice nod to Princess Benedikte. Picture: http://static1.purepeople.com/artic...e-maxima-des-pays-bas-et-la-princ-950x0-1.jpg

It is interesting that it are the traditional north-European monarchies which were represented. The many noble guests attending the funeral (Sayn, Lippe, Waldeck und Pyrmont, Solms, Hessen, etc.) all have historic links with these monarchies.

Great eye Duc. It could also be a nod to Prince Richard as that was his highest foreign honor, I believe.

Great eye Duc. It could also be a nod to Prince Richard as that was his highest foreign honor, I believe.

Indeed, I was curious why the Dutch king and queen would attend the funeral of this particular prince so wonder what and whether the family connection would apply as noted above.

So sad to hear. I really liked Prince Richard.

But very touching to see, that the entity danish family came and cared. Princess Alexandra seemed so upset.

From Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/21624055569/permalink/10158336824590570/

"I saw today this touching photo of our Crown Princess Mary at Prince Richards funeral.❤ While everyone is waiting for the royal cars the Crown Princess sees that the older King Konstatins must wait for his and his wife's car, which causes Crown Princess Mary to leave the 'royal line' for the cars and walk to them for hear about if a car is coming for them, then she strokes King Konstatin's cheek and he acknowledges giving the Crown Princess a warm kiss on her cheek.
I think it says everything about the embrace, warm and friendly human our Crown Prince have found in Mary❤"

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=35bd312284c7778ee453421eb763532e&oe=595C08F5

I have always liked that Mary never is afraid to break the rigid royal etiquette when she wants to make sure her dear ones are allright.

Back
Top Bottom