The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Condolences to Princess Benedikte and they family.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Thank you, once again, for such complete information Muhler!

I'm surprised Benedikte doesn't have stronger ties to her German home, that she would permanently move to DK. Where do the daughters live these days?
Nathalie lives near Flensburg, at the DK/German border, as she is coaching the DK national equestrian team.
Alexandra, now, live some distance from Berleburg, somewhere in central Germany. Can't remember where.

I think Benedikte will come to Berleburg often for visits. But I don't think she will stay permanently now.

On another note. I guess it will be Joachim who will man the fort back in DK, when Prince Richard is buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?
You mean like getting married and never mind the will?

They could, and it would probably be widely accepted. Carina Gustavsson is certainly fully accepted by the DRF, also in regards to the protocol.
But the Berleburg estates are large and of considerable value. And the Berleburgs is a branch of a large, wealthy and very influential family.
Such a move could very well be contested, either by, shall we say, conservative minded people in the extended family, or by people who have economic reasons to put a claim on Berleburg or simply out of principle. - Respect for the law if you will.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

BB of course has a number of articles on the death, including this photo from Amalienborg: Prins Richard død: Flaget på halv på Amalienborg | BILLED-BLADET
Here QMII's flag was flying at half mast. - Which is to be expected.

The rules about flying Dannebrog, means the flag will raised to full mast at 18.00 or when the sun sets, depending on what comes first, before it be lowered and taken down.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

This is very sad news for Benedikte and her family. I wish them all the best

RIP
Old 03-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What sad and unexpected news,may His Highness Prince Richard Rest in Peace.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I'll return to this article about Prince Richard's personality in a couple of hours. Prins Richard var 'Kongehusets løsgående missil': Husker du hans vilde udtalelser? | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

The quotes deserve a correct translation in order for you to better form an opinion.
Thank you, Muhler. Of course, condolences on the passing of such an interesting person about whom I long to learn more. I await your translations with curiosity.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Unexpected news but thats life. My condolences to the family and I hope these days they find ease and comfort from one another.
This is sad news.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The flags are flying at half-mast at Amalienborg Palace to mark the passing of His Highness Prince Richard.

PPE

PPE Agency
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Majesty

Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen statement:
"It is with great sadness that I received the announcement that His Highness Prince Richard died Monday, March 13th. The government sends its heartfelt condolences to Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, their children, grandchildren and the entire royal family . His Highness Prince Richard has always been an invaluable support of her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte of her work and with her was a distinguished representative of Denmark. Glory be to His Highness Prince Richard's memory. "
Lars Løkke Rasmussen: Prins Richard var en uvurderlig støtte for prinsesse Benedikte | BILLED-BLADET
Old 03-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen statement:
"It is with great sadness that I received the announcement that His Highness Prince Richard died Monday, March 13th. The government sends its heartfelt condolences to Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte, their children, grandchildren and the entire royal family . His Highness Prince Richard has always been an invaluable support of her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte of her work and with her was a distinguished representative of Denmark. Glory be to His Highness Prince Richard's memory. "
Lars Løkke Rasmussen: Prins Richard var en uvurderlig støtte for prinsesse Benedikte | BILLED-BLADET

It is curious that Prince Richard and his children would be styled "Serene Highness" in the old German Empire, but are referred to in Denmark by the higher style of "Highness" .

My condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Husker du hans vilde udtalelser? Afdøde Prins Richard kritiserede prinsesse Benedikte i fuld offentlighed | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

Back to the BT article I wrote about earlier.
As you know there have often been eyebrow-raisers among the interviews we've had from the Berleburgs over the years.
While Prince Richard no doubt had many good qualities he doesn't strike me as a person, who was that easy to get along with!
BT has compiled some of the things he said, which may be indicative of his and Benedikte's marriage. But then again their marriage should not be compared to a modern marriage, but rather to land-gentry of the first half of the 1900's.

Back in 1990 he said about then Bundes Kansler Helmut Kohl: "Kohl as is ass (as in donkey). He's silent about what it will all entail". (About the unification). - From a person who was married to a high ranking member of the DRF, that was of course noted.

But also his dry and somewhat harsh sense of humor is well known.

In connection with his and Benedikte's silver anniversary he said about their first meeting (in 1966): "My later wife's enthusiasm was far greater than mine. But it's after all men who ask the wifes for a dance - that's at least how it was back then (I'm actually not quite sure what he means) - and since then I couldn't get rid of her. It was incredibly troublesome".

Even though they were married for 49 years, they must have had their ups and downs. back in 2004 when Prince Richard was getting back on his feet after a lengthy cancer treatment he said: "Benedikte is not fond of illness and ill people. She's not sweet to me... Benedikte and I are like night and day. Sometimes I wonder that we've had children".

At the same time he praised Prince Gustav: "The support from my son Gustav kept me alive. He drove me around, dressed me. It's totally fatastic what my son has been to me".
As for the DRF he added: "Henrik was actually the only one who called med and showed concern for me in my misery. That surprised me a lot".

The DRF expert Jon Bloch Skipper comments: "Prince Richars and Benedikte did sit on each others lap all day long, (I.e. they weren't that much together) but it's my impression that they were genuinely fond of each other. You can to some extent compare then to the Queen and Prince Consort, who individually are also independent people.
Prince Richard was in every context a loose canon. The entire communications department have several times torn themselves in the hair over him, but that was also what gave him a certain charm. I've met him several times and he really could say some funny things". (As in amusing).

But considering the position of his wife, wasn't he aware of the implications of what he said? Presumably he know what weight his words carried?

Jon Bloch Skipper: "I think exactly that could be Prince Richard's problem. I doesn't seem like he amassed that much experience in that field.
Prince Richard was always a little bit in opposition. He did not chose Benedikte because of the life as royal, but despite of that. He was a free-thinking and acting individual with a lot of good humors, but also a good deal of sarcasm".

Prince Richard was holder of the Order of the Elephant - which will now quietly be returned.

- That Prince Richard was... interesting... to be around can be seen from some of the interviews he and other family members gave over the years. Some of which can be found here on TRF.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is curious that Prince Richard and his children would be styled "Serene Highness" in the old German Empire, but are referred to in Denmark by the higher style of "Highness" .
as the head of the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg the late prince was entitled to the style of "Highness" in at german empire in the past and now by courtesy , as for his children they are styled as "Highnesses" in Denmark by an Order in Council. Elsewhere they are "Serene Highnesses" by courtesy.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
as the head of the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg the late prince was entitled to the style of "Highness" in at german empire in the past and now by courtesy , as for his children they are styled as "Highnesses" in Denmark by an Order in Council. Elsewhere they are "Serene Highnesses" by courtesy.

According to the German Wikipedia, the head of the princely house (Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg) would be styled Durchlaucht ("Serene Highness") rather than Hoheit ("Highness"), but I'm not an expert on the topic.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durchlaucht

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoheit_%28Anrede%29
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Very sad news.
Condolences to Princess Benedikte, her children and grandchildren.
Rest in peace.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
According to the German Wikipedia, the head of the princely house (Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg) would be styled Durchlaucht ("Serene Highness") rather than Hoheit ("Highness"), but I'm not an expert on the topic.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durchlaucht

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoheit_%28Anrede%29
actually they were listing Prince Gustav as "Serene Highness" till his father passed away but now list him as "His Highness" after he became the 7th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg while his sister's are still styled as "Serene Highness" .
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sad news. Condolences to Princess Benedikte, his family, and friends.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
The House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg was a sovereign house within the Holy Roman Empire and was mediatised in 1806. All the members of mediatized princely houses were styled (both in Austria and Germany) as Serene Highness, with no distinction between the head and the other members; the only distinction was that the head bore the title of Fürst, while the other members had the title of Prinz(essin).
According to that rule, the late Prince Richard and his children are styled as Serene Highnesses (i.e. in the death announcement for Prince Richard, posted in the website of the Princely Family, both Richard and Gustav are styled as S.D., Seine Durchlaucht); only in Denmark and due to a specific Order in Council they are styled as Highnesses.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Very sad for HRH Princess Benedikte and her family. I suppose poor Richard became increasingly frustrated and perhaps a little bitter over the years due to the weird terms of his fathers Will. I really do hope that Prince Gustav can claim his birthright in a proper manner - legally- sooner rather than later. That is;- that the German courts overturn the relevant parts of the grandfathers Will.
Many Thanks to Muhler and others for information given on Richard and his family.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...
They are not going to be Lord and Lady of the manor, but of the rather big Castle, which I have visited few years ago.

Prince Ricahrd and Princess Benedikte actually lived in a manor which is here seen in front of the Castle Berleburg, while Gustav lived in the Castle.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3d3840082b.jpg

The manor is down on the right and it is physically separated from the Castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?
The problem is that it is not family rules, but a wish from personal will of his grandfather, based on family rules that legally existed during the Empire.

Prince Gustav is not forbidden to marry, but is forbidden to inherit family fortune if he doesn't marry someone who is not Aryan noble. And that is determined by personal will.

It would be like saying in your testament, for example: "I leave most of my fortune to one of my grandsons who marries an Englishwoman first." As it it personal will, in which everybody has the right to determine terms of inheritance, it is very hard to overrule it.

So, if he wants to get married to Carinna, nobody can stop him, he will stay a Prince, his wife will become a Princess, but he will not be considered the Head of the family and will not be as rich as he is today. Simple.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Aristocracy

Such sad and unexpected news that took me off guard. Condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and family.