Death and Funeral of Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg: January 2 and 9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Count Christian, Countess Anne-Dorte's late husband, was QMII's cousin. He was the son of Knud and Caroline-Mathilde, Hereditary Prince and Princess of Denmark, Knud was the brother of King Frederik IX, QMII's father. The two were estranged and the relationship between the two families has never been the best. Christian was the brother of Princess Elisabeth and Count Ingolf.

Thank you very much for your reply, Archduchess Zelia. And another thanks to Viv for the further information. :flowers:

After having read that the Counts of Rosenborg aren't very close to the immediate Danish Royal Family, it's nice to see Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attending Anne Dorte's funeral. I wonder if they were closer to The Countess or whether they were "just" representing the immediate family.

After having read that the Counts of Rosenborg aren't very close to the immediate Danish Royal Family, it's nice to see Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attending Anne Dorte's funeral. I wonder if they were closer to The Countess or whether they were "just" representing the immediate family.
I doubt that HM and HRH were closer to the countess than anyone else of the Rosenborgs. Then again, it's difficult to say what's going on away from public view! What we do know is that since the early 1990s HM let Count Christian and Countess Anne Dorte live in a wing of the otherwise mothballed Sorgenfri Castle and that the royal Court assisted with various bits and pieces when Count Christian died. Besides, countess Anne Dorte said in October, that HM has been 'outstanding' in the days leading up to Christian's funeral, but without getting into details. IMO it must be taken into account that Anne Dorte was still dependent on HM's mercy regarding the 'grace and favour' home.
My gut feeling is that the couple regent were present because it was the appropriate thing to do!

Viv

Glad to know that they were there to support the family. Is it me or does it look like the Prince last lost some weight? His face looks much thinner in this picture that I have seen in a while. If so, good for him.
Hi princess Gertrude :flowers:! You made me take a second look at the photos, and yes, he does look a bit thinner. A bit. But maybe it's the trick of the light;)?

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:

In this week's issue of Billedbladet, Count Ingolf, who called to inform QMII about the Countess's passing, said "Naturally the Queen was sad and sent her condolences. She has followed Anne Dorte's illness and even though the death did not come unexpectedly, it always makes you sorrowful".

Though they weren't close to the family, I think QMII came there because she wanted to be there. If she didn't want to be there, she could have just sent Joachim, Marie and Benedikte. From what Count Ingolf said, it sounds like she genuinely was sad.

I am glad to see that the highest Royals, HM the Queen and Prince Henrik attended the funeral of Countess Anne-Dorte.
It must have been a great support for her 3 daughters, husbands and Children.
Great thanks to the Danish Members of the board, you always inform us with the best informations. Well done and kind regards from MO

Great thanks to the Danish Members of the board, you always inform us with the best informations. Well done and kind regards from MO

Absolutely agree,its wonderful to have so many informative Danish members who take the time to answer so many of our questions and also post the relevant information!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #3, 2014
Written by Hanne Rask.

As you know Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg was laid to rest from Lyngby Church near Copenhagen.
A large number of family and friends had turned up to show the last respect, including the Regent Couple, filling the church to capacity.
Quite a number of their circle of friends come from among entertainers and singers, but it was Anne-Dorte's oldest grandchild, sixteen year old Anastasia, who sang a last song for her mormor (maternal grandmother) in the church. She sang: You are so beautiful, by James Blunt.

Anne-Dorte's son-i-law, Mikael Rosane, gave a moving speech in the church, praising his svigermor (mother-in-law) and emphasizing her positive outlook on life.
The coffin was carried out to the tunes of Elvis Presley's Love Me Tender. Anne-Dorte was very fond of Elvis Presley. And outside the church the family said goodbey and watched the hearse drive away, - presumably to a crematorium. Her urne will be placed next to her husband in their common grave at Lyngby cemetary.

In honor of Anne-Dorte the flag flying over Amalienborg flew at half mast. (*)

(*) We probably have one of the strictest and most detailed laws in the world regarding our flag.
As such there are also rules for flying Dannebrog at half mast.
Dannebrog must always go to the top before being lowered to half mast.
Dannebrog must only fly at half mast until noon, after which it must be raised to full mast and remain there until sunset or 18.00, whatever comes first.

If you for whatever reason have to take down the flag right away, Dannebrog must first be hoisted to the top, before being lowered. You never, ever, ever, lower the flag from half mast!
Being pretty obsessed with our flag, you can rest assured that people will point it out to you, if you don't do it right.

Back
Top Bottom