Death and Funeral of Count Christian of Rosenborg (1942-2013): May 21 and 29, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilse

Nobility
City
Leeuwarden
Country
Netherlands
Count Christian af Rosenborg has died (Kongehuset).

Death of Count Christian of Rosenborg; May 21st, 2013

The royal court has announced the death of count Christian of Rosenborg, b. 1942, first cousin of HM Queen Margrethe.
Count Christian has suffered from cancer for a few years. He briefly attended the confirmation of his oldest grand child Anastasia a fortnight ago. His wife since 1971 Countess Anne-Dorte is also a cancer patient.
The couple have three daughthers.
Funeral details to follow!

Last edited:
How very sad for the Queen and the Danish Royal Family,had no idea he was ill.May he rest in peace.

Count Christian of Rosenborg from PPE Agency

PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad news - the youngest of the three siblings to die first. The couple have certainly been very hard hit.

The obituaries are yet to come!

Count Christian, originally Prince Christian was the younger son of Prince Knud, himself a younger brother of King Frederik IX. The fact that Prince Knud and his descendants were sidelined after the change of the succession Act in 1953 is probably covered elsewhere on TRF.
While Knud was said to be bitter about the outcome, his children took a more pragmatic view. Christian always stayed loyal to HM and he and Countess Anne-Dorthe were fixtures at the big royal events before their health began to deteriorate some five-six years ago.
Christian was a naval officer like his father and uncle and retired from the Royal Danish Navy ten years ago. He married Anne-Dorthe Maltoft-Nielsen in 1971 and renounced his title and succession rights.
Prince Christian and his wife were said to be friendly and approachable. They appeared to be the life and soul of many a good party.

viv

Last edited:
Really sad news , the Count suffers since a long time .
Do you mean Viv that the Countess has also this terrible illness ?

may he RIP.
and thank you Viv for the background information

i am sorry to hear that :-( yes, may he RIP. was he close to the royal family?

do you think the queen, prince consort and the crown prince couple etc. will attend his funeral?

Last edited:
Really sad news , the Count suffers since a long time .
Do you mean Viv that the Countess has also this terrible illness ?

She's suffering from cancer in the larynx. I understand from an article in our royalty magazine that she's spent time in a hospice lately. It need not mean that she's a terminal patient but that she's in need of extensive care. But .. reading between the lines I get the impression that she's in a bad way.

i am sorry to hear that :-( yes, may he RIP. was he close to the royal family??
He and his wife often attended the big family celebrations. Apart from that I don't think that they met often in private. But your guess is as good as mine!

do you think the queen, prince consort and the crown prince couple etc. will attend his funeral?
I cannot imagine HM and HRH not attending! I suppose that the younger generation will attend if they're not otherwise engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been announced when his funeral will be held?

:previous:

Ekstra Bladet reports that Count Christian's daughter Camilla confirmed that the funeral will take place at 11am on May 29th at Lyngby Church.

Ekstra Bladet - Greven begraves på onsdag

Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Crown Prince Frederik all have engagements on that day (the Queen's is in the early afternoon), so it will be interesting to see who attends the funeral.

:previous:

Ekstra Bladet reports that Count Christian's daughter Camilla confirmed that the funeral will take place at 11am on May 29th at Lyngby Church.

Ekstra Bladet - Greven begraves på onsdag

Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Crown Prince Frederik all have engagements on that day (the Queen's is in the early afternoon), so it will be interesting to see who attends the funeral.

CP Frederik is in St. Petersburg, so he's out! CP Mary is in Malaysia 28 - 30. May so she's out! HM has an engagement at. 1.55 pm. It seems to take place in the Copenhagen area. IMHO she's certainly able to attend an 11 a.m funeral (duration approx. 1 hour incl. interment), get a quick bite and change for the meeting of the board of representatives of the rheumatism association. If she wants to, that is!

According to the DRF website the Queen, Prince Henrik, Princess Benedikte and Princess Marie will be attending the funeral.

According to the DRF website the Queen, Prince Henrik, Princess Benedikte and Princess Marie will be attending the funeral.

thank you:flowers:
What about Joachim?, he has no official/public events that day

I wonder if any members of the Swedish or Norwegian Royal families will attend?

thank you:flowers:
What about Joachim?, he has no official/public events that day

Perhaps he has some business to attend to in connection with running the farm?
I understand Joachim is pretty close to Count Ingolf, so I would not expect Joachim to come up with an "excuse" unless there is a very good reason.

I wonder if any members of the Swedish or Norwegian Royal families will attend?
I don't see that happening, but You never know! The Norwegians used to have links with other branches of the Rosenborgs.

I can only assume that Prince Joachim has a good reason not to attend and that Princess Marie is going to represent him? Unless he's a late addition, he's certainly not mentioned as attending on the website.

Very impressed by the real sorrow of his wife, children little grandchildren and his old Brother Count Ingolf. I did not see his Sister Princess Elisabeth.

A couple of pics from BB: Et sidste kongeligt farvel til greve Christian

I don't like that BT showed close-ups of crying children. That's too intrusive for my taste. People should be allowed to grieve without having their grief exposed to the last teardrop.

Very moving pictures. Some I felt were a little too intrusive in particular the ones of the young children who I assume were his Grandchildren?
It must be really hard for his 3 daughters knowing their mother is so ill as well. I've just realised I couldn't see any sign of Princess Elisabeth. It may be that she was avoiding the cameras (wouldn't blame her) as I can't imagine she would not be at her brother's funeral. Or does anyone know if she's not well?

Very impressed by the real sorrow of his wife, children little grandchildren and his old Brother Count Ingolf.

I'm sorry, maybe I read this wrong or you meant to write something else but are you impressed by people being upset at the funeral of a husband, father, grandfather and brother?!

I agree the close-up pictures of the grandchildren are too intrusive, they should be allowed to grieve in peace.

Queen Margrethe and Princesses Benedikte and Marie looked very elegant.

I was surprised to see the warm hug between Marie and Josephine or Camilla (I can never tell who's who), I didn't realise they knew each other so well.

It must be a hard time for the family with both the Count and Countess so ill at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom