Death and Funeral of Count Christian of Rosenborg (1942-2013): May 21 and 29, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't see the pictures, just the overview of the article, is there something I am doing wrong?

Very moving and intimate family photo's,I'm also wondering about the absence of Princess Elisabeth from the photo's .

I've just realised I couldn't see any sign of Princess Elisabeth. It may be that she was avoiding the cameras (wouldn't blame her) as I can't imagine she would not be at her brother's funeral. Or does anyone know if she's not well?

I haven't seen any trace of Pcs. Elisabeth so far! I'm not sure how well she is these days; she's not out and about as much as she used to! There was a photo of her in Billed-Bladet two weeks ago, from a confirmation in the family.

I haven't seen any trace of Pcs. Elisabeth so far! I'm not sure how well she is these days; she's not out and about as much as she used to! There was a photo of her in Billed-Bladet two weeks ago, from a confirmation in the family.

I hope she's just camera shy Viv and that the Princess is ok!

Devastating pictures. It must be especially hard for the Countess, who I believe was hit even harder by that dreadful cancer than her husband was. May Count Christian rest in peace.

The intrusive pictures of the Count's grandchildren mourning, well what can I say, that's BT in a nutshell. No sense of respect for whoever they're photographing, money is all everyone on that magazine think of (that goes for Ekstra Bladet too).

According to posters on the ScandinavianMessage Board she was there and Ingolfs wife helped her on the stairs.

According to posters on the ScandinavianMessage Board she was there and Ingolfs wife helped her on the stairs.

Thanks NGalitzine :flowers:. I saw a Photo of Princess Elisabeth in one of today's tabloids. In mourning of course, but not visibly crying! So she didn't qualify for editor's choice'.

An excerpt of a heartfelt address at Count Christian's funeral given by Mr. Michael Rosanes, husband of Camilla of Rosenborg:
Quote:
"Christian, you were Anne Dorte’s beloved darling. You were the girls’ father with a capital F. You were grand father, father in law, count and Knight of the Elephant - and you were all those things in that particular order!
The children are wondering who’s going to be the Easter Bunny now and hide Easter eggs in the rooms of Sorgenfri and who’s going to decorate the Christmas tree. And *****cat is thinking “who’s going to feed me now?”. You will be missed by all!
Never interested in ‘high and low’ (rank) you could talk with everyone. That’s why you were so well-liked. You were a quibbler and a teaser, but always tongue-in cheek!
The level of your general knowledge was annoyingly extensive and your ‘pigheadedness’ would occasionally beggar belief! However you got an opportunity to prove your general knowledge to the entire nation in 1991 when you became grand master in Radio Denmark’s quiz show ‘ Supersvarerne’. You did us all proud!
When interviewed by Billed-Bladet up to your 50th birthday one of the questions was “ What’s it like being a cousin of the Queen?”, to which you replied: “ Thar’s nice .. for the Queen!” . Your teasing gene was always intact!
You were not well lately and besides your own illness you’ve been weighed down by Anne Dorte’s (illness). Despite your condition you fought your way to bring her the newspaper at the hospice every morning during winter, and then repeated the visit in the afternoon. You went on and on until your darling was discharged in late April, but then unfortunately .. the illness caught up with you.
Christian, you were a husband, father, grand father, father in law, brother, uncle and much more.
We were proud of you, you were a sailor going down with your ship. Refusing medication and wanted to die ‘naturally’.
You will live on in us, who were close to you.
Unquote
That's not the worst legacy to leave behind ........

Last edited:
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #22, 2013.
All written by Anna Johannesen.

The funeral itself was after BB's deadline, but there are many kind words about Count Christian from his family.

His widow, Countess Anne Dorte says it was a beautiful farewell: "He was lying sleeping so sweetly. - I'm petrified inside and I still don't comprehend that he is gone. - (I) have a great difficulty in managing things right now. - I simply have to try and stay on my feet. - The Queen was Christian's cousin. She has been unique". (In her support).

His daughters, Josephine, Feodora and Camilla has this to say: "It was so peaceful to see dad lying there in the coffin, but I think it was very difficult to leave him. To leave him utterly alone. I simply had to go back one last time, before we left the chapel".
The small children in the family had made small personal items, like drawings and necklace which were put in the coffin: "Dad also got photographs of all of us and before we went we gently caressed his hand and each of us put a bouquet of red roses down to him. The bouquet from mother was white roses. They were so neat".

His sister, Princess Elisabeth has this to say: "I was seven and a half when Christian was born and as child I thought he was a little slicker-boy, who was spoiled rotten, especially by mother. He could be a real tease (as an adult too) but he was also a sweet one. I called him Stjanus and for many years I thought he had been purchased (adopted) because his hair was straight and not curly like Ingolf's and mine...
...Some of the best things that has happened for Christian was that he found Anne Dorte. They have had a fantastic marriage. She called him Sugar (the equivalent) and he called her Stomp-mom.
Christian loved his family and the grandchildren was everything to him. No matter how much noice and commotion they made they were always welcome...
... I visited Christian at Gentofte Hospital the day before he died, but by then he wasn't consious, so I didn't get to say goodbye. I still think it's very odd that the little one isn't here anymore. I'll really miss him...oh, blimey".

His brother, Count Ingolf (With whom I understand Joachim in particular is close) has this to say: "I was two and a half when Christian was born and we had a fun and cheerful childhood together. At Sorgenfri (manor) and Klitgården. However, sometimes I found him somewhat annoying - as kidbrothers can be - but that changed when he grew up and married Anne Dorte. She could rein him in!
When my first wife died in 1996 Christian was a great support for my. Very helpful and caring. That I'll never forget him for. We also supported each other when we lost our parents".

Count Ingolf last saw his brother at a confirmation on 11 May: "...Then he was really miserable, just sat and slumped, so I said to myself: This won't be long. When the party was over and we were going home I took his hand and said: Thanks for now and take care. These were my last words to Christian. Ten days later they called and said he was dead...".

Count Christian's son-in-law gave a speech, which Viv has already covered. :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm so glad I was worrying about Princess Elisabeth unduly. Moving words by all. How sad that it's the youngest of the 3 siblings to go first.

Last edited:
Danish newspapers report that Prince Joachim has been visiting Danish troops in Afghanistan, that's why he didn't attend the funeral.

How very touching and moving words spoken,the Count must have been greatly cherished by the family.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2013.
Farvel, far - Goodbye, dad.
Written by Hanne Rask.

This article cover the actual funeral and I'm pleased to see that BB has had the decency not to show close-ups of people, especially the children, crying.

Count Christian had cancer before, in the neck, but was cured three years ago. Alas the cancer returned and this time it won.
The priest, Julie K. Goldschmidt said in her sermon: "I don not have cancer, he said. But he had. The night before the confirmation of his oldest grandchild on the 11. May he collapsed and then it went quickly. Because he had cancer and he knew.
It was his decision not to recieve treatment. He wanted to die with open eyes, in dignity and not being numbed by pain-relieving treatment. He did not shy around the realities of life, but he wouldn't let realities decide the agenda either".
Count Christian, whose full title was: His Exellency, Coun Christian of Rosenborg, born Prince to Denmark, specifically requested that the preist only referred to him as Christian - and she did.
To the relatives she said: "One of you said that it's so unreal to plan this funeral because it hasn't dawned on you at all that Christian is dead. I hope it will remain being unreal in the sense that I hope the dead can be alive with up through our love for them".

Many friends and relatives attended the funeral. Among them Princess Astrid of Norway.
The Regent Couple of course and Princess Benedikte, who apparantly drove with Princess Marie. (*) Joachim was in Afghanistan.
Among the most prominent wreaths were five from the Regent Couple (signed Daisy & Henri), M&F, Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie and King Konstantin and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie.

After the sermon Count Christian's son-in-law, Mikael Rosanes, gave a moving speech, before the coffin was carried out. Earth from Sorgenfri Manor was used to throw on the coffin.
After condoling the next of kin the congregation went to have buriel-coffee not far from the cemetary.

(*) Marie looked elegant and I don't believe she has been featured in any of the footage posted so far. https://www.box.com/s/rxtvk7h8oahnwlup1iah

Countess Anne-Dorthe interview

Last week - Oct. 24th, Billed-Bladet featured an interview with 66- year old Countess Anne.Dorthe, the widow of Count Christian of Rosenborg.
The time after his funeral in May has not been easy for Anne-Dorthe, who is still recovering from a tough treatment of throat cancer. She did not refrain from showing her present state, which is a far cry from the bubbly, feminine woman we are familiar with. Countess Anne-Dorthe was visibly weak, using crutches, make-up free and dressed in comfortable home gear.
Yet she managed to talk of her ordeal and loss, and she also remembered the good and fun times with Christian and even managed a smile for the photographer.

Countess Anne-Dorthe is now back at her home at Sorgenfri Palace, where she is being looked after by a friend. Her three daughters are visiting whenever possible. She is tube feed and too weak to look after the house, but as the reporter noted, she was as hospitable as always!

To cut a long story short: Countess Anne-Dorthe was seriously ill when it turned out that Count Christian's illness had recurred last winter - he was treated from a similar type of cancer a few years ago - however he refused to tell her. Instead of worrying Anne-Dorthe and family by seeking treatment, he struggled on to visit Anne-Dorthe twice a day at the hospital and later, the hospice.
Indeed a moving story of true love from real life!

viv

Last edited:
Hi Viv,many thanks for the update.I recall you telling us about the Countess being ill and her battle with cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom