The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Commoner

I can only assume that Prince Joachim has a good reason not to attend and that Princess Marie is going to represent him? Unless he's a late addition, he's certainly not mentioned as attending on the website.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner attends at the Funeral Service,
The Royal House of Norway - Official engagements

Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
That's good to know!
Viv
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I was thinking if anyone from Norway attends it will be Princess Astrid,thanks for posting the news.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Commoner

Se alle billederne: Droningens fætter begravet | www.bt.dk
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very impressed by the real sorrow of his wife, children little grandchildren and his old Brother Count Ingolf. I did not see his Sister Princess Elisabeth.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

A couple of pics from BB: Et sidste kongeligt farvel til greve Christian

I don't like that BT showed close-ups of crying children. That's too intrusive for my taste. People should be allowed to grieve without having their grief exposed to the last teardrop.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Commoner

Very moving pictures. Some I felt were a little too intrusive in particular the ones of the young children who I assume were his Grandchildren?
It must be really hard for his 3 daughters knowing their mother is so ill as well. I've just realised I couldn't see any sign of Princess Elisabeth. It may be that she was avoiding the cameras (wouldn't blame her) as I can't imagine she would not be at her brother's funeral. Or does anyone know if she's not well?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Very impressed by the real sorrow of his wife, children little grandchildren and his old Brother Count Ingolf.
I'm sorry, maybe I read this wrong or you meant to write something else but are you impressed by people being upset at the funeral of a husband, father, grandfather and brother?!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Commoner

I agree the close-up pictures of the grandchildren are too intrusive, they should be allowed to grieve in peace.

Queen Margrethe and Princesses Benedikte and Marie looked very elegant.

I was surprised to see the warm hug between Marie and Josephine or Camilla (I can never tell who's who), I didn't realise they knew each other so well.

It must be a hard time for the family with both the Count and Countess so ill at the same time.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

I couldn't see the pictures, just the overview of the article, is there something I am doing wrong?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Very moving and intimate family photo's,I'm also wondering about the absence of Princess Elisabeth from the photo's .
Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy View Post
I've just realised I couldn't see any sign of Princess Elisabeth. It may be that she was avoiding the cameras (wouldn't blame her) as I can't imagine she would not be at her brother's funeral. Or does anyone know if she's not well?
I haven't seen any trace of Pcs. Elisabeth so far! I'm not sure how well she is these days; she's not out and about as much as she used to! There was a photo of her in Billed-Bladet two weeks ago, from a confirmation in the family.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
I haven't seen any trace of Pcs. Elisabeth so far! I'm not sure how well she is these days; she's not out and about as much as she used to! There was a photo of her in Billed-Bladet two weeks ago, from a confirmation in the family.
I hope she's just camera shy Viv and that the Princess is ok!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Devastating pictures. It must be especially hard for the Countess, who I believe was hit even harder by that dreadful cancer than her husband was. May Count Christian rest in peace.

The intrusive pictures of the Count's grandchildren mourning, well what can I say, that's BT in a nutshell. No sense of respect for whoever they're photographing, money is all everyone on that magazine think of (that goes for Ekstra Bladet too).

Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
According to posters on the ScandinavianMessage Board she was there and Ingolfs wife helped her on the stairs.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
According to posters on the ScandinavianMessage Board she was there and Ingolfs wife helped her on the stairs.
Thanks NGalitzine . I saw a Photo of Princess Elisabeth in one of today's tabloids. In mourning of course, but not visibly crying! So she didn't qualify for editor's choice'.

An excerpt of a heartfelt address at Count Christian's funeral given by Mr. Michael Rosanes, husband of Camilla of Rosenborg:
Quote:
"Christian, you were Anne Dorte’s beloved darling. You were the girls’ father with a capital F. You were grand father, father in law, count and Knight of the Elephant - and you were all those things in that particular order!
The children are wondering who’s going to be the Easter Bunny now and hide Easter eggs in the rooms of Sorgenfri and who’s going to decorate the Christmas tree. And *****cat is thinking “who’s going to feed me now?”. You will be missed by all!
Never interested in ‘high and low’ (rank) you could talk with everyone. That’s why you were so well-liked. You were a quibbler and a teaser, but always tongue-in cheek!
The level of your general knowledge was annoyingly extensive and your ‘pigheadedness’ would occasionally beggar belief! However you got an opportunity to prove your general knowledge to the entire nation in 1991 when you became grand master in Radio Denmark’s quiz show ‘ Supersvarerne’. You did us all proud!
When interviewed by Billed-Bladet up to your 50th birthday one of the questions was “ What’s it like being a cousin of the Queen?”, to which you replied: “ Thar’s nice .. for the Queen!” . Your teasing gene was always intact!
You were not well lately and besides your own illness you’ve been weighed down by Anne Dorte’s (illness). Despite your condition you fought your way to bring her the newspaper at the hospice every morning during winter, and then repeated the visit in the afternoon. You went on and on until your darling was discharged in late April, but then unfortunately .. the illness caught up with you.
Christian, you were a husband, father, grand father, father in law, brother, uncle and much more.
We were proud of you, you were a sailor going down with your ship. Refusing medication and wanted to die ‘naturally’.
You will live on in us, who were close to you.
Unquote
That's not the worst legacy to leave behind ........
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #22, 2013.
All written by Anna Johannesen.

The funeral itself was after BB's deadline, but there are many kind words about Count Christian from his family.

His widow, Countess Anne Dorte says it was a beautiful farewell: "He was lying sleeping so sweetly. - I'm petrified inside and I still don't comprehend that he is gone. - (I) have a great difficulty in managing things right now. - I simply have to try and stay on my feet. - The Queen was Christian's cousin. She has been unique". (In her support).

His daughters, Josephine, Feodora and Camilla has this to say: "It was so peaceful to see dad lying there in the coffin, but I think it was very difficult to leave him. To leave him utterly alone. I simply had to go back one last time, before we left the chapel".
The small children in the family had made small personal items, like drawings and necklace which were put in the coffin: "Dad also got photographs of all of us and before we went we gently caressed his hand and each of us put a bouquet of red roses down to him. The bouquet from mother was white roses. They were so neat".

His sister, Princess Elisabeth has this to say: "I was seven and a half when Christian was born and as child I thought he was a little slicker-boy, who was spoiled rotten, especially by mother. He could be a real tease (as an adult too) but he was also a sweet one. I called him Stjanus and for many years I thought he had been purchased (adopted) because his hair was straight and not curly like Ingolf's and mine...
...Some of the best things that has happened for Christian was that he found Anne Dorte. They have had a fantastic marriage. She called him Sugar (the equivalent) and he called her Stomp-mom.
Christian loved his family and the grandchildren was everything to him. No matter how much noice and commotion they made they were always welcome...
... I visited Christian at Gentofte Hospital the day before he died, but by then he wasn't consious, so I didn't get to say goodbye. I still think it's very odd that the little one isn't here anymore. I'll really miss him...oh, blimey".

His brother, Count Ingolf (With whom I understand Joachim in particular is close) has this to say: "I was two and a half when Christian was born and we had a fun and cheerful childhood together. At Sorgenfri (manor) and Klitgården. However, sometimes I found him somewhat annoying - as kidbrothers can be - but that changed when he grew up and married Anne Dorte. She could rein him in!
When my first wife died in 1996 Christian was a great support for my. Very helpful and caring. That I'll never forget him for. We also supported each other when we lost our parents".

Count Ingolf last saw his brother at a confirmation on 11 May: "...Then he was really miserable, just sat and slumped, so I said to myself: This won't be long. When the party was over and we were going home I took his hand and said: Thanks for now and take care. These were my last words to Christian. Ten days later they called and said he was dead...".

Count Christian's son-in-law gave a speech, which Viv has already covered.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Very touching words!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Commoner

I'm so glad I was worrying about Princess Elisabeth unduly. Moving words by all. How sad that it's the youngest of the 3 siblings to go first.

Tags
count christian of rosenborg, death of count christian of rosenborg