The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Princess Elisabeth will be buried from Lyngby Kirke.

Are not her brother Christian and his wife Anne-Dorte also buried there?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I would be surprised if the Queen didn't attend the funeral of her first cousin who, in addition, was officially a princess of Denmark.
Indeed.
But I wrote at least, meaning that at least QMII is confirmed as taking part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Don't know.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Lyngby Kirke is a very beautiful church. I've had the pleasure of singing there a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes, both her brother Christian and his wife Anne-Dorthe is buried from Lyngby Kirke and their ashes has been put to rest there.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Here she was baptized and confirmed and here she will lie besides her partner in life, Claus Hermansen.

It will be the former royal confessionarius, Erik Norman Svendsen, who will perform the ceremony.

Here are some photos from the church:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9_21-03-06.jpg
https://vandreture.files.wordpress.c...12/dsc6449.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/49075719.jpg
https://dedanskeskirker.dk/wp-conten...7-810x1080.jpg
http://www.8570.dk/image_www/images/...r/IMG_6158.JPG

Lyngby Kirke was build in the middle of the 1100's, and typical for the time it was placed on a low hill, dominating the landscape. - Partly to appear even more impressive and partly because churches also served as refuges for locals when there were raids. And the present day east Germans, Poles and Prussians did a lot of raiding back then!
Another reasons for such a prominent location was that churches also served as a landmark. Especially along the coasts, but also inland, where there were few and very poor roads. And when the landscape was covered in snow, it was easy to lose your bearing, because there were no roads to be seen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Lyngby Kirke is a very beautiful church. I've had the pleasure of singing there a couple of times.

Yes, both her brother Christian and his wife Anne-Dorthe is buried from Lyngby Kirke and their ashes has been put to rest there.
Did the family of Hereditary Prince Knud hold all of their baptisms, weddings, and funerals at Lyngby Church? It is interesting and sweet that they apparently prefer their village church (which looks simple in style to me, although that may be the norm in Danish churches?) over royal chapels.

Quote:
Why did the Queen insist that Princess Elisabeth would be removed from the Royal House if she married a commoner when the Queen’s two sons and the Queen herself married commoners ? It doesn’t Make a lot of sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Presumably it was the rule at the time...
Yes, Princess Elisabeth confirmed on multiple occasions that she did not marry Claus in order to keep her title and privileges.

The Queen's own marriage took place while her father was on the throne, and he gave permission to all marriages with foreigners who held a courtesy title of nobility, even if legal commoners. The marriages that the Queen gave permission to were those of her sons with foreign women. I have posted a more extended reply in the following thread, which seems to be appropriate for this topic. Marriage to Commoners in Denmark
Old 06-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The church looks picturesque and has a family connection with the late Princess .

The Death of Her Highness Princess Elisabeth of Denmark : BILLED-BLADET

27th of March 1615:Death of Marguerite de Valois,Queen of Navarre
Old 06-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Nobility

May she rest in peace. I liked seeing photos of her at royal family events.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is interesting and sweet that they apparently prefer their village church (which looks simple in style to me, although that may be the norm in Danish churches?) over royal chapels.
I'd say it's a fairly standard church for Denmark and could be found just about anywhere around Denmark. I'm sure it's much bigger than it looks at the picture. They're often quite massive when you see them up close. My favourite of the kind is the church in Køge - imposing, elegant, light but still with it's feet sturdily planted on the ground... like Danes in general are themselves.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Did the family of Hereditary Prince Knud hold all of their baptisms, weddings, and funerals at Lyngby Church? It is interesting and sweet that they apparently prefer their village church (which looks simple in style to me, although that may be the norm in Danish churches?) over royal chapels.
The building style itself is very typical of the period for village and small town churches. There are literally hundreds of churches like this dotted all over DK. Most of them chalked white though.
The inside of the church would have looked much more austere than today, between the period shortly after the Reformation in 1536 and until pretty recently. During that period, the medieval wall-decorations would have been covered by white lime.
That was of course due to the much more stern and back to basic interpretation of the Protestant church.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Majesty

may she rest in peace.
Picture with her lifelong partner Claus Hermansen
https://kendte.dk/wp-content/uploads...00-525x410.jpg

and cute picture with her grandfather King Christian X
Prinsesse Elisabeth og farfar bliver sommerfotograferet | BILLED-BLADET Nostalgi
Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Could someone tell a bit more about her lifelong relationship? I didn't know she'd been so long and serious involved with someone.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The building style itself is very typical of the period for village and small town churches. There are literally hundreds of churches like this dotted all over DK. Most of them chalked white though.
The inside of the church would have looked much more austere than today, between the period shortly after the Reformation in 1536 and until pretty recently. During that period, the medieval wall-decorations would have been covered by white lime.
Does that mean that, more recently, churches have become less austere and wall decorations are in use again ? Is there any particular reason for that change of attitude ?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Could someone tell a bit more about her lifelong relationship? I didn't know she'd been so long and serious involved with someone.
I've never followed Elisabeth much and her partner died in 1997, so what relatively limited coverage there was of the two of them when they were active, was back from before I got genuinely interested in royalty.
But from fragments here and there:
Princess Elisabeth worked in the Foreign Ministry and she was way more discreet than her siblings in regards to the press, without directly avoiding the press that is. - She simply wasn't a "juicy story" so to speak.

In some way she met her partner Claus Hermansen and they moved in together.
He was a film man, mainly documentaries, which meant that he probably traveled a good deal filming or was away for periods on research, location findings and so on. That may have suited Elisabeth well, since she for a few years at a time were stationed at Danish embassies abroad. So I imagine they for periods didn't see each other that much.
Yet, they hit it off. None of them were interested in having children. Elisabeth was very clear about that while she liked being a doting aunt, she was not interesting in having such critters around herself!

He lived an interesting life! During the Occupation he made illegal films for the Resistance and IIRC he actually filmed and narrated an act of sabotage, that to this day is still dramatic! Including how a passer-by shouted: "I can't hear! I can't hear!". His eardrums had been blasted by the explosion.

They lived in a pretty big house in a pretty posh neighborhood of Copenhagen, but it seem to me they hadn't saved much, because it has been hinted that Elisabeth was pretty much forced to sell the house and not at the most favorable prize. (Certainly not in the middle of the Financial Crisis!)

I think I'll leave it at other Danes to tell more about Claus Hermansen, because that's basically all I know.

Quote:
Does that mean that, more recently, churches have become less austere and wall decorations are in use again ? Is there any particular reason for that change of attitude ?
Oh yes, a lot less austere.

The Protestant austerity, so to speak, peaked in 1600's here in DK.
That was: Few decorations to distract people from the essentials: which were God, Jesus - and not least listening to what the priest said.
Anyway, all that carvings and paintings and decorations was basically considered Catholic heresy.
So while cathedrals maintained some of their inbuilt decorations, stained windows and what not, new cathedrals built after the Reformation were very much Protestant: Big, imposing, heavy, strict, pious and first and foremost serious, just like the worshipers ought to be.
That policy was of course easier to implement in the local village churches, it only needed a coat of lime or a crowbar to pry out carved statues.

But austerity never lasts. And over time the whole business about service and going to church became a less serious matter - or a gloomy matter, if you prefer. So back came the stained windows with scenes, which were not always religious, back came carvings and figures and during the religious seasons other decorations returned. The church was after all supposed to be a nice place to visit - and increasingly it became so.
There were some local back-to-basics reversals here and there. Mainly in western and northern Jutland during the late 1800's and again in the 1920's.

Then in recent decades, mainly as a result of renovations uncovering the original look, there was a wish to return the churches back to how they looked around the time they were build. And that included wall paintings. Often in vivid colors. People in the medieval times were very fond of colors, and as garish as possible! But few churches have gone that far though. So today you will see many medieval paintings being exposed and restored and now incorporated into an otherwise "traditional Danish Protestant village church." ("Traditional", because people have long since forgotten how the churches originally looked. So the post-Reformation look is today the "traditional" look.)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Heir Apparent

RIP Princess Elisabeth. Condolences to her family and friends.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Her parents were first cousins ?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Majesty

King Christian X (father of Prince Knud) and Prince Harald (father of Princess Caroline-Mathilde) were brothers indeed.

Paternal line:

Knud
=
Christian X of Denmark x Alexandrine von Mecklenburg-Schwerin

|

Christian X
=
Frederik VIII of Denmark x Lovisa of Sweden

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maternal line

Caroline-Mathilde
=
Harald of Denmark x Helena von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

|

Harald
=
Frederik VIII of Denmark x Lovisa of Sweden
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 AM
Royal Highness

I will attempt to do a family tree here. (Btw Denmark is about to play against Australia in the World Cup. Best of luck to both teams.

King Christian X ..... brother ... Prince Harald m Princess Helena
Son Fred and Knud...married ....Princess Caroline Mathilde dau of Harald.

Knud and Caroline were first cousins.
ELIZABETH and Queen Margrethe are second cousins.

Her full name Princess Elizabeth, Caroline-Mathilde, Alexandrine, Helena, Olga, Thyra, Feodora, Margrethe, Desiree.
Born 8 May 1935.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I had forgotten that Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark & Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark were indeed 1st cousins.

27th of March 1615:Death of Marguerite de Valois,Queen of Navarre
Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Her full name Princess Elizabeth, Caroline-Mathilde, Alexandrine, Helena, Olga, Thyra, Feodora, Margrethe, Desiree.
Born 8 May 1935.
Between Feodora and Margrethe the name Estrid is missing.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Majesty

My goodness, did they want to name this baby after every female relative, alive, dead, past and future? Ten names is just a bit excessive even for royalty, IMHO.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I will attempt to do a family tree here. (Btw Denmark is about to play against Australia in the World Cup. Best of luck to both teams.

King Christian X ..... brother ... Prince Harald m Princess Helena
Son Fred and Knud...married ....Princess Caroline Mathilde dau of Harald.

Knud and Caroline were first cousins.
ELIZABETH and Queen Margrethe are second cousins.
Second cousins through her mother but first cousins through their fathers.