Danish State Visit to Vietnam: November 1-6, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother was there for 2+ years during the war. He said it is never cool being a tropical climate.

Alright, so Vietnam is in the tropical zone. I thought it was close to it, just like California. Thanks for the info :flowers:

The Queen looks stunning!. Fredrik and Mary look like they are on vacation, not the first official day of a state visit. I think you can do casual much better.

I agree with you, but I think that technically the official duties don't begin until 2 November. I think that they were there a few days early in order to relax and acclimate to the time difference before the official state visit begins. This may account for their very relaxed appearance (just a guess). The DRF's website lists the dates for the state visit as 2-6 November. :flowers:

The Queen looks stunning!. Fredrik and Mary look like they are on vacation, not the first official day of a state visit. I think you can do casual much better.

I also agree, Princess was a bit too casual and her pants were rather tight. The Queen, as usual is always dressed for the job

Actually it isn't the first official day. Officially the state visit lasts from 2 to 6 November (according to the Danish court's announcement) and starts tommorrow (Monday) with official welcoming, wreath laying, state banquet and so on. From 7 to 9 November they will stay on privately and today seems to be somehow semi-official, with a voyage back into Henrik's past.

I actually like their colour coordination. The Queen wears a white blouse with red and blue stripes and Henrik a red shirt, Frederik a blue shirt, Mary a white top. I think their outfits, although quite relaxed looking (even the Queen's, though her's is the most elegant), were carefully planned.:)

In the evening the Queen wore trousers - definitely a sign that this day/event was an unofficial one. I have never seen her wearing trousers during official parts of state visits.

Yes! Quite unusually, it was CP Mary in a dress and the Queen in a white pants suit for the evening dinner at the Danish Embassy!!!! That attests to the somewhat semi-official feeling of this first day! It was more a day of nostalgia for Prince Henrik and showing his family where he lived during the earliest part of his life! So this was a casual day almost! This first day showed Prince Henrik in focus. From tomorrow, it would be Queen Margrethe as the Head of State in Denmark who would be in focus!

Two lovely pics of CP Frederik and CP Mary from Belga. More pics have been added to the Belga gallery!!!
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/16322349.html?citemId=1478181-41
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/16322218.html?citemId=1478181-54

i was quite impressed to see that mary is participating in more events in this trip than frederic!
i'm sure it will be quite an emotional trip for henrik - is the plan after the 6th supposed to be private or will they still visit some charities or NGO's as well where there will be press opportunities?

i was quite impressed to see that mary is participating in more events in this trip than frederic!
Actually, CP Frederik has some events on his own. CP Mary does not. She will either accompany CP Frederik or Queen Margrethe to events. CP Mary has no solo events on this state visit.
is the plan after the 6th supposed to be private
Yes...after the official visit end on November 6th, the royal family will spend some private time in Vietnam (a few days).

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Henrik's childhood home looks beautiful. I'm glad the family is having a chance to do this - I'm sure it's a fascinating trip for them. I always love having parents and grandparents show me around where they grew up.

Henrik was not actually born in Vietnam, was he? One of the articles posted here says so, but I think he was born in Talence, France and just moved to Vietnam as a boy?

:previous:

Yes, he was born in Talence. He was four years old when his parents moved back to France.

Wonderful pictures!!! Thanks to everyone who posted them.

The family looks happy and relaxed, although, clearly a bit unused to the heat and the humidity of a tropical climate.

The rickshaw tour seemed like fun. Although, I am not sure about Princess Mary's pants, they seem tight. The dress for the evening reception was blah and the shoes didn't go together with the dress.

How wonderful for Prince Henrik to show his family the home where he spent some very happy years, its great to see him at the centre of attention on the first day in Vietnam.
All four seem to enjoy the bicycle ride and the walk, they are all happy and relaxed in each others company.

A nostalgic trip for Prince Henrik, emotional, I'm sure. The queen is totally happy seeing him enjoy this visit. He's no doubt giving tidbits of personal information as they go from one place to the next.

I particularly noticed the break of protocol, as both the queen and prince took the arm of the crown prince and princess so they could walk four abreast as they neared what must have been the family home. Prince Henrik looks as though he wants them to hear everything he has to say about it.

He looks so happy, and the queen is very content seeing this.

Meeting at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, Vietnam, 02 November 2009. During the visit, the Danish Royal Family will enjoy cultural activities held by the Danish embassy in Vietnam and visit development assistance projects which help reduce the country’s poverty. Denmark and Vietnam established diplomatic relations in 1971.

Picture Gallery

The Royals walk into the mausoleum of late president Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi on November 2, 2009.

Picture Gallery and another galleryhere

Last edited:
You can stop being impressed!
I don't know where you get your informations from but according to the official schedule Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder Frederik participates in 25 events (6 of them alone), Mary in 24 (none alone).

Its very interesting to see that Mary doesnt have events alone. It would be nice maybe for at least one event.

November 2
HRH the Crown Prince, HRH the Crown Princess will visit the Bang & Olufson Store in Hanoi
Picture Gallery

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II & Princess Mary visit to the My Anh flag factory in Hanoi, Vietnam 02 November 2009.
Picture ** Picture Gallery

A picture of Fred & Mary from an event earlier today.
Picture

Last edited:
Hanoi.Prince Henrik visiting his childhood home.He also attended the Lycée Francaise in Hanoi,so he has vivid and fond memories:

PPE Agency

Getting around Hanoi...in a riksja:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:)

Looks like the bag went flying as well as Mary tried to catch her hat :D

Crown Princess Mary tries to catch her hat as the wind graps it during a ceremoni in Hanoi November 2, 2009
Gallery

another picture gallery from anp from the visit to flag factory
Gallery

More pictures from earlier today
Gallery

BB has a picture gallery of the bike ride the royals had yesterday
Gallery

Video from tv2.dk

Last edited:
November 2
19:00 - Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Princess Mary: State Banquet hosted by President Triest and Mrs Tran Thi Kim Chi

What was the dress code?
QM in a tiara while Mary isnt and men are in ties, I find that abit weird. It seemed that nobody knew what to wear.

Picture Gallery

I love the dress is stunning, anyone knows the designer? the thing about the tiara is wired!

Getting around Hanoi...in a riksja:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:)

Wonderful pictures. :flowers:

Looks like the bag went flying as well as Mary tried to catch her hat :D

Crown Princess Mary tries to catch her hat as the wind graps it during a ceremoni in Hanoi November 2, 2009
Gallery

another picture gallery from anp from the visit to flag factory
Gallery

More pictures from earlier today
Gallery

BB has a picture gallery of the bike ride the royals had yesterday
Gallery

Video from tv2.dk

Again Mary looses her hat and Frederik doesn't help. :flowers:
Love the video, and all the pictures. :)

What was the dress code?
QM in a tiara while Mary isnt and men are in ties, I find that abit weird. It seemed that nobody knew what to wear.

Picture Gallery

Stunning Stunning outfit from Mary. The presidents wife is quite small. :)
I wish Mary would have worn her wedding tiara. :flowers:

What was the dress code?

Picture Gallery

You know now that you mention it, it does seem a bit strange about the dress code for this event. IMO, the Queen's dress (or skirt & top, I can't decide which it is), did not warrant a tiara. It was very nice but not "fancy" enough. On another note, I think it's wonderful that Prince Henrik is visiting the country that holds so many fond memories for him. And it's wonderful that he can experience it with his family.

It is very odd. Mary is wearing a really nice evening gown and no tiara or major jewelry and the Queen is wearing a two piece with a tiara. But hey, if your Queen I guess you get to wear a tiara whenever you want. Which tiara is that anyway? I liked Marys hat the other day. The must be melting though, It can get so hot over there.

yes, it must certainly be emotional for henrik to come back to his childhood home - i bet frederik also enjoyed seeing where his father grew up!

It is very odd. Mary is wearing a really nice evening gown and no tiara or major jewelry and the Queen is wearing a two piece with a tiara. But hey, if your Queen I guess you get to wear a tiara whenever you want. Which tiara is that anyway? I liked Marys hat the other day. The must be melting though, It can get so hot over there.

It's a bandeau of daisies with tuqioses betweeen. The Queen inherited it from her mother. I think Mary has not worn a tiara because her Wedding tiara would to big compared to the the tiara of the Queen. It was also sometimes the Case at a State Visit of Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima to a southern Country (don't remember which one) where Beatrix was the only one wearing a tiara (the diamond badeau in this case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom