Danish Royal Family's Official Visit to Greenland: June 19-July 5, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello!

Summer on the flopes for Frederick and Mary

Newlyweds Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark enjoyed some summer ski action in Greenland this week during their official visit to celebrate the Arctic island's 25th jubilee.

It's the perfect time of year to hit the slopes in Apussuit – which means "big snow" in the local language – where the season lasts from March to October, with the peak during late spring and summer. And Frederik and Mary made the most of their summertime fun at the resort, which is situated on top of a glacier, not only skiing but also taking a spin together on a snow mobile.

The royal couple's tour of Greenland, a Danish colony which won semi-autonomy in 1979, is set to continue until July 5. Queen Margrethe was on hand to launch the visit on Monday, donning a traditional Inuit constume along with her son and daughter-in-law.

Newlyweds Prince Frederik and Princess Mary enjoyed some "wintertime" sports in Apussuit, Greenland, where the peak season lasts all summer - Photo: © Rex

Skiing and snowmobiles were on the royal agenda at the ski area, which is situated on top of a glacier - Photo: © Rex

awwww.....is a very appropriate term lol. :p

they're so adorable....were they visiting a small village?cause from the photos that i've seen, there seems to be not alot of people and houses in it.

Thanks for the pics everyone! :)

They're very nice, awww is indeed an appropriate term to describe some of em'!

Mary's hair looks different, like she colored it. I like it. Some of these pictures are soooooo sweet. Especially the one of Mary touching Frederik's face. :heart:

Greenland looks like such a beautiful country. But waaaaaayyyyyy to cold for me. If it is that cold in the middle of June, imagine how cold it is in the middle of winter. Yikes! I think I'll just take my 95°F weather. B)

Oh ......It's is very beautifull. I ccoudn't imagine it.
Thank you for pics

Jasl  Posted: Jun 26th, 2004 - 4:31 am

its cold up there in Greenland.. they'd have to snuggle pretty tight at night
You finally caught on ....

I tell you that Margrethe is a smart lady .... Fred and Mary will be the "exception to the rule" of the new pair waiting a year before they embark on making a baby. :)

Jasl  Posted: Jun 26th, 2004 - 4:27 am

How did that happen do you think? I think Fred just turned to her without warning ....that's why I'm thinking he started it.
Well ... in the grand scheme of things, he is in the line of progression, not she. I don't think we will see any 'very public initiative' of affection by Mary other than looking soulfully into his eyes (and only Greenland of laying a hand on his face).

Having said that, let's cherish this Greeland trip of what it is ... a place where they can (all?) let their guard down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ... in the grand scheme of things, he is in the line of progression, not she. I don't think we will see any 'very public initiative' of affection by Mary other than looking soulfully into his eyes (and only Greenland of laying a hand on his face).

Yes he is, but remember, it was poor Mary who was leaning in for a kiss during their engagement balcony scene... and she was the one who kissed him when they got into their carriage after the wedding ceremony... and at the balcony after the wedding... and a couple of times during their reception... and after their waltz as a bridal couple (lots and lots here... not pashing of course, but lots of kisses all over the face)...

I hope hope hope their first child will have Fred's blue eyes and Mary's hair colour... hmm, I haven't made up my mind about the nose yet.

Ah what delightful photos of the Danish Ladies and of course their men as well. Please continue to post them. Thank You! Mary looks wonderful!

Originally posted by Humble@Jun 26th, 2004 - 10:10 am
Do they want to prove that they know how to kiss publicly and to prove they are so much "in love" :blink:
I'm biased, but I doubt it ... no-one apart from some people on the internet is questioning the sincerity of their "love", so I don't think they're aware that there's any sort of pressure to prove at all. Pressure to have a baby, definitely, but pressure to prove that they're in love? nope don't think so....

Actually, when (I think PDV) Fred's cousins were interviewed before (Princess Alexandra, Gustav etc), they said that when you're with F & M, you can really tell they're in love. And the Australian Danish Trade Ambassador also said that even when they're on opposite sides of the room, Fred and Mary keep looking at each other and encouraging each other in that way. And now, I think it was someone from BT (covering the Greenland trip) said the exact same thing. So I don't think its a case of them proving it to everyone, but more a case of finally being able to do what they've always done in private and doing what they've wanted to do.

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:02 am
So I don't think its a case of them proving it to everyone, but more a case of finally being able to do what they've always done in private and doing what they've wanted to do.
Right on the spot there Jasl.
Couldn't say it better myself :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Has anybody noticed that ..... coverage on Margrethe seems to be diminshing.

Greenland!!!...Mary has promoted tourists to visit this place. Thanks MARY...

By the way, Mary's new message board: http://maryofdenmark.proboards27.com/

I like this board. But Jasl, you have banned me from posting. It was because I don't like to say good things about Alex.

I have tries to like Alex...but ...her style is not in my heart. Another reason is that I love only Mary... :heart:

Originally posted by cindie@Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:12 am
Greenland!!!...Mary has promoted tourists to visit this place. Thanks MARY...

By the way, Mary's new message board: http://maryofdenmark.proboards27.com/

I like this board. But Jasl, you have banned me from posting. It was because I don't like to say good things about Alex.

I have tries to like Alex...but ...her style is not in my heart. Another reason is that I love only Mary... :heart:
O no cindie, I won't ever do that!!!!!!! I do like Alex too!!!!

It's because we've made registration a prerequisite to posting on the board. So you actually have to register before you can post or even view most of the threads (remember to check your email after registration for the password).

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:03 am
Has anybody noticed that ..... coverage on Margrethe seems to be diminshing.
Yeah it seems like it... but either way, I think Margrethe would be happy.

I also think that perhaps Greenland has always been Frederik crazy. Sirius expedition etc, perhaps even more than they are Margrethe crazy. So perhaps its not a case so much of the attention lavished on Margrethe has diminished, but more a case of Greenlanders always being more closer and look up to Frederik more than they did Margrethe.

And now of course that their prince has brought his bride with him, the bride who used a handkerchief sewn by a Greenlander and who sent that seamstress a boquet of flowes as a thank you, they've also shown their affection to this newcomer.

Righteo that sounds soppy :p ... but you get my point ;)

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 27th, 2004 - 3:38 am
the bride who used a handkerchief sewn by a Greenlander and who sent that seamstress a boquet of flowes as a thank you, they've also shown their affection to this newcomer.
I read the story on the handkerchief in 'Billed Bladet'. There was a picture of the woman, who made the lace-handkerchief, and she definitely isn't a Greenlander.

The of your story is the same as the one in 'Billed Bladet', though :)

Hahahhaa!!! oooppps, I think I'll go hide now....... :blush: :blush:

Righteo... just disregard that bit about the handkerchief.

But do you think Frederick is closer to the average Greenlander than Margrethe? Of course Margrethe is their Queen as well, but I was thinking that Fred would have more of an affinity with Greenland. Is this right, or should I completely erase my previous post in case in misleads everyone??/ ;) :p :blush:

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 27th, 2004 - 5:19 am
Hahahhaa!!! oooppps, I think I'll go hide now....... :blush: :blush:

Righteo... just disregard that bit about the handkerchief.

But do you think Frederick is closer to the average Greenlander than Margrethe? Of course Margrethe is their Queen as well, but I was thinking that Fred would have more of an affinity with Greenland. Is this right, or should I completely erase my previous post in case in misleads everyone??/ ;) :p :blush:
That's not really my imoression. Margrthe does visit Greenland as often as possible, I think the greenlanders are quite attached to Margrethe aswell. ;)

Originally posted by MarieLouise@Jun 27th, 2004 - 9:50 am

That's not really my imoression. Margrthe does visit Greenland as often as possible, I think the greenlanders are quite attached to Margrethe aswell. ;)
That was "impression"... Sorry it appears my fingers are to fat... :lol:

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 27th, 2004 - 6:19 am
But do you think Frederick is closer to the average Greenlander than Margrethe? Of course Margrethe is their Queen as well, but I was thinking that Fred would have more of an affinity with Greenland.
It is my impression, that the Greenlanders like all members of their royal family.

However, Crownprince Frederik seems to have a special connection with the country after he travelled with The Sirius 2000 Expedition. For instance, the farthest out of North-East Greenland is now named "Crownprince Frederik's Land".

Another thing is, that Mary of course still is "the new kid in town". It is quite natural, that there is a lot of interest in her right now. That is the case in Greenland, as it is the case in Denmark.

Hello

Both Frederik and Mary donned traditional Inuit costume as they kicked off their two-week-long tour of Greenland in the capital Nuuk.
I never noticed the purse until some kind lady member at this site pointed it out

Queen Margrethe receives flowers from ten-year-old Marlene Hermansen upon her arrival in Greenland.
I'd like to know where the two tribes are located ..ie: red boots = east Greenland? white boots = southwest Greenland?

More than half of Greenland lies to the north of the Arctic Circle and 84 percent of the island is covered with ice all year round.
only the hardiest green vegetation survives

With only 55,000 inhabitants, Greenland is the perfect environment for hikers and other outdoor sports enthusiasts.
horses?

The natural terrain is a mixture of rugged mountains, fjords and islands covered in sparse vegetation.
imagine how the bedrock curves underneath the new soft stuff on top?

I just now saw a clip in the news on the danish channel DR1: Prince Henrik as photographer, while the royal family was sledging in Greenland.

Funny pictures, but I really don't understand that man (Prince Henrik). While he himself were the photographer, with the microphone right in front of his mouth, he speaks in french to his family.

And than he wonders, why the Danes have difficulties in accepting him as a part of the danish royal family :p

I think, that DR will put the clip on their website later on.

Chatleen  Posted: Jun 27th, 2004 - 12:16 pm

Henrik .... speaks in french to his family.

And than he wonders, why the Danes have difficulties in accepting him as a part of the danish royal family
A couple of comments
- za French, zey are unique.
- I suppose Margrethe likes his difference .... a good contrast to the Danish folk.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:31 pm
Chatleen   Posted: Jun 27th, 2004 - 12:16 pm

Henrik .... speaks in french to his family.

And than he wonders, why the Danes have difficulties in accepting him as a part of the danish royal family
A couple of comments
- za French, sey are unique.
- I suppose Margrethe likes his difference .... a good contrast to the Danish folk.
Maybe Margrethe likes his frenchness - but the Prince has never complained on the support of his family, while he has complained, that he lacks support from the Court and the country.

I can only speak for myself, and as a dane I don't mind some differences. On the contrary, I think that the popularity of PA and CPM is partly due to them being "different" and maybe "exotic".

But when a man, who wants to be regarded as a representative of Denmark, in this country's public television starts speaking French - then I think, he has a problem.

"But when a man, who wants to be regarded as a representative of Denmark, in this country's public television starts speaking French - then I think, he has a problem."

Am I correct in thinking that advancing age may be defeating - ze language skills de - Prince Henrik in this regard ?
.... or is there something deeper, that was there before he had his very "public pout" of a few years ago?

"But when a man, who wants to be regarded as a representative of Denmark, in this country's public television starts speaking French - then I think, he has a problem."

Well said Chatleen.

Not a smart thing to do!

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:51 pm

Am I correct in thinking that advancing age may be defeating - ze language skills de - Prince Henrik in this regard ?
.... or is there something deeper, that was there before he had his very "public pout" of a few years ago?
Ehm, I'm not quite sure, that I understand the question.

But, the danish skills of PH has nothing to do with his advanced age - he has never been able to speak the language in a decent way.

I think, that for many years, it was just regarded as common knowledge, that he didn't speak the language well, but no one really discussed it. Then, when he himself a couple of years ago complained of his status in the eyes of the Court and the Danes, it was kind of the last straw, that broke the camel's back. He can't expect respect without making any effort.

That is my view of the situation, others might very well have another opinion....

Again, Well said Chatleen!

"He can't expect respect without making any effort." BINGO

Originally posted by kate14@Jun 27th, 2004 - 5:04 pm

Well said Chatleen. 

Not a smart thing to do!
Now I get some second thoughts, realizing that most of you probably didn't see the clip.

All the prince said, was: "Regarde (at) moi", and it was only meant to his family.

But he knew, that it would be broadcasted, and I just got so annoyed with him :wacko: He could have said "Se på mig" :)

Chatleen  Posted: Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
(King Christian @ Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:51 pm)

But, the danish skills of PH has nothing to do with his advanced age - he has never been able to speak the language in a decent way.

I think, that for many years, it was just regarded as common knowledge, that he didn't speak the language well, but no one really discussed it. Then, when he himself a couple of years ago complained of his status in the eyes of the Court and the Danes, it was kind of the last straw, that broke the camel's back. He can't expect respect without making any effort.
Ahh .... so Prince Henrik fell into a trap of his own making.

Well .... zen eets a case of takin' your lumps. :)

Originally posted by Chatleen@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:23 pm
This in no good news for anyone, who might went to the bookie to bet for a royal baby conceived in Greenland.

According to the danish tabloid 'BT', the couple are never alone:

Even in bed?
Who is the 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on person?

Back
Top Bottom