Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The video showing the decorating of the Christmas tree is spectacular. I like how everyone is involved in the decorating. One decoration was a star with a photo of a Prince. Who was the boy: Prince Christian or Prince Vincent?

Christian ?

December 8:

"What the angels sang in the world, now all little children are going to sing" - today's post is showing an angel with a songbook made by Queen Margrethe for the Blue Dining Room at Marselisborg Castle:

** Post **

The answer to both questions from M. Payton and LibrarianDaisy is: Yes, she does.

I read about it in BT the other day - of course I can't find the article right now. :sad:

Thank you Muhler for the answer, she is an amazing woman for doing that type of needlework takes lots of time as I know, and being an artist, a mother, a wife and queen on top of it.......she is a very strong role model to follow for many women. :flowers:

Candles on the Christmas tree is very common in DK, or rather a combination of candles and electric lights.
The electric lights are used from the moment the tree is brought in and decorated and the candles are used when we dance around the tree while most other lights in the living room are turned off.
Most people have a fire-extinguisher, a carpet, a bucket of water or a spray with water and a couple of drops of detergent close by, just in case.
Candles provides an atmosphere you cannot recreate with electric lights IMO.

Thank you for the tidbit of information Muhler. Good to hear that there are many safety precautions when it comes to candles on trees. I do agree with you that candles provide a different sort of atmosphere - I can imagine that they feel a lot more magical and homely.

December 9th
"You old, weird grandmother,"
H.M. The queen has made this package calendar for H.K.H. Princess Isabella, where the day's gate is on a Christmas ring.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcecKkvnS2-/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

December 10th
"Angels fall into secret"
H.M. Queen's plate decoration for the Christmas table at Marselisborg Castle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BchBTY6n1Jc/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Christmas atmosphere at Amalienborg, Gråsten Castle and the Royal Stable-Etat.

December afternoon at Gråsten Castle, where a Christmas tree lights up the inner castle farm.
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=0607c7a5a1d2ce8e945bc8b2494f0335&oe=5ABF0BDE

A Christmas tree in the garden behind Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg.
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=5c9277a63ad7678a78ded83a4988a77a&oe=5ACD086E

One of the Queen's White Cladruber Horses at the Christmas tree in the barns at Christiansborg Castle, where the Royal Manor House belongs.
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=f8579fd9e09fb6f0995844f00dd50043&oe=5AC33F49

December 13th
"Now on Lucia's Day, greet our friendship, Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia"
H.M. The queen is here embroidered Santa Lucia. The Lucia tradition comes from Sweden, and the Queen was with his sisters, H.K.H. Princess Benedikte and H.M. Queen Anne-Marie, among the first Danes who were Lucia . It was in 1946 at the Swedish Embassy in Copenhagen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcoq0b2njxv/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

December 16 "A little girl traveled"
For Christmas there are several niches on Marselisborg Castle. Here is a decoration of a cousin, like H.M. The queen has made an interlining dish.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcwcz8gnLYm/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

December 17 "Show men from Austria, pulled out of the world"
The holy three kings Kasper, Melchior and Balthazar, here, are folded, pasted and cut by H.M. Queen

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcy7zRPH4n-/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

And wait now to see and Athena's too! But not roday!

December 19th "Happy Christmas, Lovely Christmas"
H.M. The Queen's Christmas Dough is covered with Christmas dishes. The queen himself has drawn the pattern and embroidered tablecloth.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc35LYVnaHu/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

"December 20th
"There is no who will not, believe there are niggers to"

The fireplace at Marselisborg Castle is decorated every Christmas with little niches, like H.M. The queen has been doing with Queen Ingrid and D.K.H. Crown Prince and Prince Joachim in the 1970s"

Lovely!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc6iG2knl9O/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Every year, the niches have their fixed seats above the fireplace at Marselisborg Castle.
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=36d88446e54371aa097f7bb8bbb8116c&oe=5AB88978

Last edited by a moderator:
December 9th
"You old, weird grandmother,"
H.M. The queen has made this package calendar for H.K.H. Princess Isabella, where the day's gate is on a Christmas ring.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcecKkvnS2-/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

This is very cute. And how nice that the Queen has done them for her grandchildren. A great tradition that I'm sure they will cherish. Judging from the picture their seems to be calendars on both sides of Isabella's, Christian's and one of the twins I'm guessing

:previous: Yes, it's really cute that Margrethe is doing this for her grandchildren. It's something they can keep and look back on. What a lovely idea.

Thanks Eya. ?

I guess this is a reference to the DRF Christmas Eve dinner. They always have an English cake. Presumably a tradition introduced either by Queen Ingrid or QMII's English nanny.

December 12 shows Vincent's Advent calendar made by his grandmother:

"When I just dare to trust, that you will not drum before my song is over "

** Post **

Last edited:

A lovely angel is the decoration presented for today, December 14:

"In the starlight, the angelic dance went over Bethlehem"

** Post **

Today, December 15, a photo of Josephine's advent calendar was shared

- "It's now a Christmas party":

** Post **

:previous: Very lovely. Some great work by the Queen. :flowers:
And seeing that the 4 calendars are hanged side by side they must take up all the wall ;)

Cute to see that all four children have their own advent calendars. I think putting little messages in to arrange fun events for children is a charming idea, as the children can remember the contents of their calendars in years to come. ?

December 18 shows the advent calendar of Prince Henrik, made by his grandmother:

"In this sweet Christmas season":

** Photo **

Interesting that she spelled the name as the French "Henri" not "Henrik"

Apparently his mother, our Marie, talks a lot to him in French and also call him Henri. Probably as a kind of endearment and that seems to have rubbed off on farmor Margrethe.

:previous:
That is truly a magnificent piece of needlework and should be saved in the family for many generations to come. That takes lots of time and dedication to do, I do needlework and would love to sit with Queen Daisy and just work on a piece to my heart's content.....dreamin here.....

That is truly a magnificent piece of needlework and should be saved in the family for many generations to come. That takes lots of time and dedication to do, I do needlework and would love to sit with Queen Daisy and just work on a piece to my heart's content.....dreamin here.....

First...[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Second, would the two of you like some company? I also needlepoint & that is a stunning piece of Blackwork. HM is so very talented. [emoji4]

First...[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Second, would the two of you like some company? I also needlepoint & that is a stunning piece of Blackwork. HM is so very talented. [emoji4][/QUOTE

Oh Tigger how wonderful to met someone else that does that......I have been doing that since I was around 10 for my grandmother taught me as a child and it has stayed with me. I love to embroider, counted cross stitch, petite point, beading lace which is so time consuming and sew. I have taught myself a few stitches in knitting and that at times drives me insane and I also taught myself to quilt, my sister has my 1st quilted pillow and once I get everything set up after moving if is off to work on a lap quilt for her. I would love to learn to make my own lace, tatting for I find that very interesting.

Queen Daisy is such a talented lady, she to me is amazing artist and so detailed oriented. I just don't know where she finds all the time with her royal duties and art work in designing for the ballet at holiday times. Maybe we should send her a letter asking her to tea and bring her needlework, now that would be a dream come true. ?

"December 20th

The fireplace at Marselisborg Castle is decorated every Christmas with little niches, like H.M. The queen has been doing with Queen Ingrid and D.K.H. Crown Prince and Prince Joachim in the 1970s"

Lovely!!!

Every year, the niches have their fixed seats above the fireplace at Marselisborg Castle.
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=36d88446e54371aa097f7bb8bbb8116c&oe=5AB88978

Thank you, Eya. :flowers:

A minor correction though. It's not niggers it's nisser.
No wonder Google got it wrong though, there is I believe no word for these creatures in English. - Pixies might be the closest thing. ?

Last edited:
They look so cute on the mantelpiece of Marselisborg Castle & the 1st time I've ever seen them.

"December 20th

Lovely!!!
Perhaps a more accurate translation is "There is no one who will not believe there are elves to "
https://translate.google.com/#da/en/nisser

Last edited:
The texts to the handiwork by QMII stems from stories, rhymes, psalms and Christmas songs. Most of them are very old and use a poetic and often archaic Danish, which makes them very difficult to translate.

The translation in this particular case would be something like: Why, there are people who don't want to believe "nisser" exists.

Impossible to translate directly or even word by word.
- I think we discussed that in the Mary and her Danish tread.

However, the use of these particular captions to these examples of her handiwork clearly has QMII thumb-mark all over it!
I don't think the younger members of the DRF would come up with those captions, it needs a creative/artistic mind IMO.
So I'm pretty sure we are in these days seeing the first steps of QMII into the world of cyberspace. ?
She wouldn't have the faintest clue as to how to upload and all that but she has begun to learn how to find a use for the internet.
And that from a lady who still doesn't have a mobile and who use a typewriter. - So who knows what QMII might come up with next. :D

Thank you to eya for posting these Christmas images every day. I'm enjoying them so much. :flowers:

Tiggersk8 and M. Payton, I don't do needlework, but if the two of you ever do get together with QMII, I'd be happy to serve the tea. If there is a piano, I could provide the background music. :lol:

Reactions: eya
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #51, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen

The Regent Couple will stay at Marselisborg until New Year, when it's time for them to return to Copenhagen for QMII to give her New Year speech live as always.
There will not be anyone with them this year, but it expected that they will be visited by friends.

M&F are of course in Australia.

Joachim and our Marie will celebrate Christmas abroad somewhere. Even though that has not been disclosed it is assumed in the article that they will stay with Marie's family.

Nikolai and Felix will celebrate Christmas with their mother.

The most interesting thing is Benedikte. She will celebrate Christmas in Jutland, but not with her sister.
"I'm going to celebrate Christmas in Denmark. It will be in Jutland. Though not with my sister but with other relatives".
- The only other family Benedikte has in Jutland is the Rosenborgs, so she is likely to spend time with her cousin Count Ingolf who has a minor manor in eastern Jutland.
It's not with her daughter, Alexandra, who is likely to spend Christmas at Egeborg Castle. That castle is located in the island of Funen.

Why not with her sister? Well, as you may recall some years back, when Prince Richard was under treatment for cancer Benedikte stayed away. Something the very frank Prince Richard commented on...
Some people can't be around sick people. It's not an excuse, but merely an explanation which I think is valid in the case of Benedikte.

There isn't that much in this weeks issue of BB:
BB #51, 2017

So how about a back issue, that I've finally got around to scanning. It does at least have the taste of fowl, eh? :D
BB #38, 2017

"December 21th "That" day before day before day you know "
H. H. Princess Athena got last year as H.M. The Queen's youngest grandchild is the last packing calendar. The queen himself designed the package calendar with pockets decorated with embroidered hearts and Christmas motifs. The queen got the idea after making the Queen's Christmas badge from 2003. Each package calendar has its individual distinctive character with variations of embroidery so the children can easily know their own."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9Lwl0n0M7/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Thank you to eya for posting these Christmas images every day. I'm enjoying them so much. :flowers:

You are very welcome MidwestMom!!

"December 20th

Thank you, Eya. :flowers:
A minor correction though. It's not niggers it's nisser.
No wonder Google got it wrong though, there is I believe no word for these creatures in English. - Pixies might be the closest thing. ?

Perhaps a more accurate translation is "There is no one who will not believe there are elves to "
https://translate.google.com/#da/en/nisser

The texts to the handiwork by QMII stems from stories, rhymes, psalms and Christmas songs. Most of them are very old and use a poetic and often archaic Danish, which makes them very difficult to translate.
The translation in this particular case would be something like: Why, there are people who don't want to believe "nisser" exists.
Impossible to translate directly or even word by word.

Thank you both who corrected the bad google translation!!

I want to say a BIG SORRY to that member who felt offending and complained or reporting my above post.
I did not do it on purpose just because my English is not very well sometimes I do not understand that the google-translation is so bad so i can be able to correct it.

So a big sorry again and thanks for the understanding :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Daisy is an incredible lady, that takes lots of patience and a long time to do that needlework. And to have done it for each grandchild over the years is something they will have forever in time. Amazing lady indeed!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #51, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen

The Regent Couple will stay at Marselisborg until New Year, when it's time for them to return to Copenhagen for QMII to give her New Year speech live as always.
There will not be anyone with them this year, but it expected that they will be visited by friends.

M&F are of course in Australia.

Joachim and our Marie will celebrate Christmas abroad somewhere. Even though that has not been disclosed it is assumed in the article that they will stay with Marie's family.

Nikolai and Felix will celebrate Christmas with their mother.

The most interesting thing is Benedikte. She will celebrate Christmas in Jutland, but not with her sister.
"I'm going to celebrate Christmas in Denmark. It will be in Jutland. Though not with my sister but with other relatives".
- The only other family Benedikte has in Jutland is the Rosenborgs, so she is likely to spend time with her cousin Count Ingolf who has a minor manor in eastern Jutland.
It's not with her daughter, Alexandra, who is likely to spend Christmas at Egeborg Castle. That castle is located in the island of Funen.

Why not with her sister? Well, as you may recall some years back, when Prince Richard was under treatment for cancer Benedikte stayed away. Something the very frank Prince Richard commented on...
Some people can't be around sick people. It's not an excuse, but merely an explanation which I think is valid in the case of Benedikte.

There isn't that much in this weeks issue of BB:
BB #51, 2017

So how about a back issue, that I've finally got around to scanning. It does at least have the taste of fowl, eh? :D
BB #38, 2017

Personally I'm surprised Benedikte is choosing to spend Christmas with her cousins, I didn't think both sides of the family were that close. It seems odd to me she would choose people she isn't that close to over her own sister(s) and children. Even if she finds being around ill people hard, they do live in pretty big houses

Personally I'm surprised Benedikte is choosing to spend Christmas with her cousins, I didn't think both sides of the family were that close. It seems odd to me she would choose people she isn't that close to over her own sister(s) and children. Even if she finds being around ill people hard, they do live in pretty big houses

I must admit I find it a bit odd as well.

Thank you both who corrected the bad google translation!!

I want to say a BIG SORRY to that member who felt offending and complained or reporting my above post.
I did not do it on purpose just because my English is not very well sometimes I do not understand that the google-translation is so bad so i can be able to correct it.

So a big sorry again and thanks for the understanding :flowers:

Don't worry, Eya. ?

We know you and we know you are anything but a troublemaker.

These things happen on an international board.
IMO the best thing is to quietly point it out and have a little chuckle. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom