The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well, if I ever decide to force my way into Marselisborg, I'll make sure to stay clear of those.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Well, if I ever decide to force my way into Marselisborg, I'll make sure to stay clear of those.
Maybe Her Majesty only brings them out for the Christmas Holidays

Do they Royal Family attend a Church Service on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

IIRC then it´s QM who has designed the couches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Do they Royal Family attend a Church Service on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
Normally on both days. Well, at least the Queen :)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Normally on both days. Well, at least the Queen :)
Thank you,I will keep an eye out for the photo's this year.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

So there is nothing you think Mary and our Marie might incorporate into their Christmas celebrations?
Sweets, traditions, food, songs, decorations and so on.
There is nothing you can come up with that an Aussie/French Christmas simply couldn't be without?

In fact by not dancing around the Christmas tree, the Regent Couple are even closer to the original Danish Christmas celebrations than the vast majority of current Danish families.
One of the most popular Christmas psalms from mid 1800's mentions it: "Først skal træet vises, siden skal det spises = First the tree is to be shown off, then it's eaten" - Beforehand there were sweets and cookies and nuts hanging on the tree among the other decorations.
The tradition about dancing around the tree came later.

However, I suspect M&F and perhaps Joachim and our Marie as well now dance around the tree, it is after all one of the things the children look most forward to.

In these days you can't help reading about old Christmas traditions. One of the more special Danish traditions is Nisser (plural).
http://www.amioamio.com/files/_produ...1.original.jpg A traditional nisse almost down the road from where we live.
They were originally a kind of house elves and you needed to be on friendly terms with them or they could really make your life unpleasant. They go back to the Viking-age probably before.
They became immensely popular in the mid 1800's where there was a surge of national-romanticism, where old traditions were rekindled and changed. Also here in DK, so it became a tradition to placate the nisse by placing a bowl of rice porride in the attic. And when you couple of days later returned to the attic with your children, you told them that the nisse, (or rather cats, rats or mice) had eaten the porridge.
One of the most popular Christmas songs for children is indeed about a nisse sitting in the attic about to eat his rice porridge while fending off hungry rats. - That's a song Christian and Isabella no doubt know by heart and will insist being sung around the Christmas tree (if of course they do dance).

Later on nisser became less omnious. They evolved into playful children and older men, who are very fond of a beer or ten. They are todays Kravlenisser: http://www.kanalfrederikshavn.dk/upl...338627909.jpeg
Between Christmases they are employed as workers in Santa Claus' workshop, which, as we all know, is located in Greenland. - And only Greenland.

Here is the song about the nisse: På loftet sidder nissen med sin julegrød - The nisse sits on the attic with his Christmas-porridge:

The video also illustrates, in an albeit weird way, what the song is about. IN this version the nisse ends up sharing his porridge with the rats, especially the little rats. - In the original version he fetch the cat and scare away the rats.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

Do we usually see the Danish Royal Family's Christmas cards?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, but I think they're New Years cards rather than Christmas cards (at least that's how the magazines refer to them). Last year, I believe they were released/sent out either in the week of Christmas or the week after.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

Billedbladet now has a new article about the Christmas in the Danish royal family.

It says that The Regent Couple will stay at Marselisborg Christmas Eve and will spend it with some good friends.

Billed-Bladet - Sådan holder de kongelige jul i år
Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Can BB make up their minds?

Just this week BB had an article about the cook who is going to prepare the Christmas dinner at Schackenborg - for among others the Regent Couple.
I guess we'll see.

Well, we have a minor snowstorm in DK right now. It's pretty much a whiteout here right now. Even our dog, who is otherwise very eager to go on a walk and water the lampposts, decided the backyard was far enough for him today, thank you!
So this is very much a stay-inside-day today.

It's getting very icy later on, so it's a good thing the Regent Couple isn't going to Schackenborg today. - That is if they are going at all, I can't figure it out!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

It would be nice if the court actually mentions who is doing what for christmas so we can stop waiting for articles to guess for us.
Id love to see a few pictures of the family together but if not, id still like to see some during Christmas.
I guess if weather conditions aren't good why risk being stuck on the way.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Godmorning and Merry Christmas.

Billed Bladet informs us that M&F and their two oldest attended Christmas Service at Garnisons Church (Right next to Isabella's kindergarten) yesterday afternoon.

With picture: Billed-Bladet - Kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary var til julegudstjeneste

At the same time we are told that the Regent Couple DID go to Schackenborg. I guess pictures will be up shortly.

Jyske Vestkysten has a gallery from Møgeltønder Church, where the Regent Couple, Joachim and our Marie, Nikolai, Felix and bette Henrik also went to service in the afternoon.
I see Marie's mother was there too, but I don't know if the gentleman is Marie's father or the husband to her mother.
http://www.jv.dk/artikel/1501247:Toe...-Kirke?image=0

I notice Prince Henrik is as colorful as always.

After the minor snowstorm it began to rain and continued raining and the temperature went from minus very cold(!) to plus 4 degrees C, so half the snow has already melted. - There are sometimes advantages with having a coastal climate.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Billed Bladet informs us that M&F and their two oldest attended Christmas Service at Garnisons Church (Right next to Isabella's kindergarten) yesterday afternoon.

With picture: Billed-Bladet - Kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary var til julegudstjeneste
Yes, Merry Christmas to you all

Here is another picture of Frederik, Mary and their children on their way to church last night. It's a great picture, you can almost feel the wonderful atmosphere that characterizes Christmas Eve

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...98155501_n.jpg
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Good Morning and Merry Christmas Muhler,thank you for posting the links regarding the Danish royal Christmas,I've enjoyed looking at them!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

They all look wonderful. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Courtier

Merry Christmas, Muhler, and thanks for the link!
They look great!

Hope everyone made it onto Santa's nice list!! Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Nobility

God jul to you and yours; mange tak for your Christmas Day post the gentleman with la Marie's mother is her current husband, so things should be cosy and warm at Schnackenborg
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

You can see photos from inside the church here: Garnisonskirken - Velkommen til Garnisonskirken
This organ is known as the "bacon-organ" Can you guess why?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

M&F went to service again today the 25th. Also in Garnison Church, and this time alone. Pic from BB: Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparret alene i kirke første juledag
M&F strolled back to Amalienborg after the service.

With them yesterday were the Handwerks, with their daughters, so I guess they spend Christmas with these very close friends.

Our Marie were also among those who attended service today. And looking pretty neat: Billed-Bladet - Kongelige gæster i Møgeltønder Kirke

Thanks for the info, Gerry
Old 12-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Hi,
nice image of Frederik & Mary and their kids Christmas eve. Nice there also are images of our crownprincefamily in copenhagen. Little Bella looks sweet :-) Happy Christmas everybody
Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Courtier

Love the photo of Mary and Frederik it has such a warm and happy Christmas feeling about it.
Sweet pic of Isabella she is such a delightful child.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, christmas, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, henrik, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, prince frederik, prince henrik, princess alexandra, queen margrethe