Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting Roskilde.

Lovely photo.
It appears that Frederik and Mary walked to church on Christmas Day. How long would the walk take?

Last edited:
Here is another lovely photo from BILLEDBLADET of Frederik and Mary, arm in arm, on their way from Amalienborg to Garnisons Church on Christmas Day :wub:

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/66729_10151244137427928_1489404019_n.jpg

thank you Roskilde:flowers: that's a lovely picture. im glad Frederik and Mary can walk about without too much hazzle from the press.

and really a thank you to all who contribute with pics, articles, translations and stories. i hope you had a great christmas, now to wait for the new year:flowers:

This is a very nice picture of the couple. They don't take the kids in Christmas day to church?

i think there are pictures of Frederik and Mary taking Christian and Isabella to church on Christmas Eve. :flowers:

Can you imagine trying to get children to sit still in church on Christmas Day? Christmas Eve is a much better alternative.

Can you imagine trying to get children to sit still in church on Christmas Day? Christmas Eve is a much better alternative.

As far as I know Denmark belongs to the countries where the Christmas presents are handed out on Christmas Eve, so the churchgoing on Christmas Day should be easier ;)

As far as I know Denmark belongs to the countries where the Christmas presents are handed out on Christmas Eve, so the churchgoing on Christmas Day should be easier ;)

Yes, presents are handed out on Christmas Eve but believe me that doesn't mean you can take small kids to something 'quiet' like church on Christmas day :) the only thing in kids' minds that day is getting back to their presents and play! I tried that and gave it up!;)

Yes, presents are handed out on Christmas Eve but believe me that doesn't mean you can take small kids to something 'quiet' like church on Christmas day :) the only thing in kids' minds that day is getting back to their presents and play! I tried that and gave it up!;)

UserDane is spot on! Besides, there's a big difference in the congregations on the 24th and the 25th: The service Christmas Eve is very much family orientatied, which is reflected in the choice of hymns and the 'attention span' of the sermon! The 25th - the official birthday in the 'Western churches' - usually sees a more churchy congregation.

viv

UserDane is spot on! Besides, there's a big difference in the congregations on the 24th and the 25th: The service Christmas Eve is very much family orientatied, which is reflected in the choice of hymns and the 'attention span' of the sermon! The 25th - the official birthday in the 'Western churches' - usually sees a more churchy congregation.
I so much more enjoy the service on Christmas Day and I did that too when I myself was a child :)
Well, perhaps I could blame it on the fact that when my dad studied to become priest we didn´t attend church on Christmas Eve, because there simply wasn´t room in the rather big church. So we went on Christmas Day :flowers:

And nowadays I still like the Christmas Day service better, because we don´t sing "Et barn er født i Betlehem" (A child is born in Betlehem) - a psalm I wholeheartedly dislike :whistling:

viv

Thanks Viv for the extra tidbits regarding the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services,I wonder which one Her Majesty prefers?

Thanks Viv for the extra tidbits regarding the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services,I wonder which one Her Majesty prefers?
I guess that she likes to attend both, but for different reasons :)
On Christmas Eve she can tag along with her grandchildren.
On Christmas Day she can enjoy the reflection of the service.

Well, perhaps I could blame it on the fact that when my dad studied to become priest we didn´t attend church on Christmas Eve, because there simply wasn´t room in the rather big church. So we went on Christmas Day :flowers:
What? No room in the inn??? :D

And nowadays I still like the Christmas Day service better, because we don´t sing "Et barn er født i Betlehem" (A child is born in Betlehem) - a psalm I wholeheartedly dislike :whistling:
I get your point;)!

viv

I guess that she likes to attend both, but for different reasons :)
On Christmas Eve she can tag along with her grandchildren.
On Christmas Day she can enjoy the reflection of the service.

Many thanks for the reply and that makes perfect sense to me,I've enjoyed all of the posts/information and photo's of the Danish Royal Christmas.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2013.
Mormors dreng - (Maternal) grandmother's boy.
Written by Ken Richter.

Who spend Christmas standing outside Møgeltønder Church.
Bette Henrik held mormor Francoise' hand while going to church on Christmas Day (the 25th) and they spoke French together our reporter noted.
In fact the whole family went to service in the forenoon of the 25th, but when you are only three years old an hour is perhaps as long as can be expected of you, so Francoise Grassiot took her grandson outside and went into the car. Only to be joined shortly after by Christian Grassiot, Felix and Marie, who drove the little family back to Schackenborg. She did have time to send our reporter a smile: "Merry Christmas".
Joachim, Nikolai and the Regent Couple along with their very good friend pastor Parkov held out to the bitter end and Joachim hitched a ride in the crown car back to Schackenborg.

(An article about M&F will be added to this post shortly).

----------------------------------------

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2013.
Krudtugler i kirke - Black powder owls (*) to church.
Written by Malan Vincent Joensen.

M&F went to church on Christmas Eve, in the afternoon along with their two oldest children and some friends with even more children.
In front was Christian. Followed by M&F walking arm in arm and with a lively Isabella holding mother's hand, when she wasn't busy swinging her arms and what not.
With them went Amber Petty, Jeppe and Birgitte Handwerk with their daughters India and Palma.
M&F were obviously expected, because they sat on the best seats in the front. Mary next to Amber and Isabella between mom and dad. Christian being older entertained Palma and India.
Buuut, it was Christmas Eve and Christian sat unruly.
Isabella too had some excitement to burn off and what to do if you sit in a church? Well, you grab a fan and make sure mom and auntie Amber get plenty of fresh air. That' hard work! So Bella had to sit on dad's lap for a while to gain strength.
A number of wll knowns psalms were sung, including FasterB's favorite: A Child has been born in Bethlehem.

But to please FasterB and in the name of healthy cultural exchange I bid you this very good (and popular) rock version of an even more popular Christmas Psalm, Dejlig er Jorden - Lovely is the Earth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fPN7EiXAE

(*) A krudtugle = A black-powder-owl = a lively child who has problems sitting still for more than six nano-seconds.

Last edited:
Billed Bladet informs us that the Regent Couple will celebrate Christmas at Marselisborg this year.
It is presumed that M&F and Joachim and our Marie will also go to Marselisborg, but not certain.

This year it's Countess Alexandra's turn to celebrate Christmas with Nikolai and Felix, so their attandance at Marselisborg is pretty uncertain.

Joachim confirms to BB that he, our Marie and his two youngest will go to Marselisborg for Christmas: "It will be in Aarhus and we are looking forward".

As M&F are also expected to be there, as well as the close friend of the Regent Couple Peter Parkov, Marselisborg will be crammed to capacity this year.

Christmas is, as the observant among you may have noticed, coming up.

During the Christmas month there are loads of minor traditions, which are more or less Danish or at least have been "Danished" over the years.
That more often than not involves children, who will lend a hand in baking cookies, making decorations and so on.

I thought it might interest some of you to have a cultural insight into these traditions. Some of them are with guarantee also something the children (and adults) in the DRF do during December.
QMII, being very creative, can no doubt easily occupy her grandchildren in doing Christmas decorations!

Here is a very good blog dedicated to these tradtions, written and very well illustrated by a Scottish ex-pat living in DK, so it's in English. She's doing a count down of Danish Christmast tradition until the 24th.
Diane's Daily Denmark

Looking at her blog I recognice most, some from my own childhood, some from my current childhood and some are things Mrs. Muhler parents enjoy doing with our children, (they have a couple of "Christmas lunches" together every December).

Last edited:
The Regent Couple moved their residence to Marselisborg a couple of days ago and here she is seen entering Aarhus Cathedral for the Christmas service Sunday forenoon: Dronning Margrethe er juleklar i Aarhus | Billed Bladet

In contrast to most of the family QMII go to church every day during Christmas, but we can be confident I think that the whole family will go to the Christmas service in the cathedral on the afternoon of 24. Probably with as many of the children as possible. I don't think Athena will go, but it will be interesting to see if the twins will come this year.

Last edited:
BB's Christmas reporter at Marselisborg informs us that the DRF's Christmas has begun and the family has start to arrive...

Frederik, Mary and their foursome arrived at Marselisborg earlier today where Margrethe and Henrik waited. It was Frederik who sat behind the wheel when they arrived in their little family mini-bus.

Den kongelige jul er begyndt | Billed Bladet

Last edited:
A teeny favour Danish members please?

My children are hoping if you could let us know if you see Santa's sleigh overhead today. It is 12.23pm on Christmas Eve so any time in the next few hours would be wonderful.

Thank you Mods.

Happy Christmas to all the DRF members!:xmastree2:

A teeny favour Danish members please?

My children are hoping if you could let us know if you see Santa's sleigh overhead today. It is 12.23pm on Christmas Eve so any time in the next few hours would be wonderful.

Thank you Mods.

Happy Christmas to all the DRF members!:xmastree2:

They are BEHIND you in time by 10 hours or so. You would see Santa's sleigh before they do. At the time you wrote that, it would only be 2:23 a.m. in Copenhagen on Christmas Eve.

But in our time he needs to leave soon, because of the distance. And the children thought he'd pass near DK.

Then he makes his way back to Europe as the time zones changes, yes?

Enjoy the season with your families!

Mods if this turns into a drama please delete my post asking for the DRF followers help.

Last edited:
Lady Rosie, it might just be 3:25 am here in Copenhagen (Christmas morning, yay!), but I am fairly certain that I just heard Julemanden's (Santa's) sleigh bells ringing in the distance... I think he might just be making his way downunder right now. Perhaps you can pass that on to your children? ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Frederik, Mary and all children was seen leaving Marselisborg this afternoon in their mini bus to drive to the place they will keep their New Years Eve. Trend, maybe? The reporter also noticed how their car was packed with luggage and Christmas presents.

http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=ThcaaCTc

As you can see in the picture Denmark was today hit by a relatively dense fog.

The article also tells that Margrethe and Henrik will be on Marselisborg some days yet as they have an event together in Aarhus tomorrow.

Source: Billedbladet
Frederik og Mary er kørt på nytårsferie | Billed Bladet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom