Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a Few more pictures from the 24th
I hope we all notice Joachim's pink pants :p
La reina Margarita lleva a la familia a la iglesia por Navidad - Diez Minutos

My dear Polyesco,

It is obvious that your monitor needs adjusting or that the Christmas dinner has affected your eyesight.
Anyway, gentlemen do not wear pink pants, Joachim is a (perfect) gentleman, ergo the pants are not pink, they are reddish.

On another note it would appear that Christian is telling farbror (paternal uncle) Joachim an impressive tale, judging from Joachim's expression.:eek:
Se kongefamilien julehygge i Aarhus - Billeder på Avisen.dk

Let's go through some of the family names again. It's something we are pretty particular about here in DK, since we have a zillion names for family members. (Not counting those which have gone out of use).
Joachim is Christian's farbror = father's brother = paternal uncle.
Our Marie is Christian's tante = aunt in general or aunt who has married into the family.
Had Joachim and Marie swapped families, Joachim would have been Christian's onkel = uncle in general or uncle who has married into the family.
And Marie would have been Christian's faster = father's sister = paternal aunt.

QMII is Christian's farmor = father's mother = grandmother.
PH is his farfar = father's father = grandpa.
Bedstemor/bedstefar = grandmother/grandfather is now used in general or if the grandparents are old enough to qualify as substitutes for bog-mummies.

Had Queen Ingrid been alive she would have been Christian's oldemor = great-grandmother.
Frederik IX would have been his oldefar = great-grandfather.

Bette Henrik is Christian's fætter = male cousin.
While Athena is his kusine = female cousin.

A sister of Mary is Christian's moster = mother's sister = maternal aunt.
Her brother is his morbror = mother's brother = maternal uncle.

John Donaldson is Christian's morfar = mother's father = maternal grandfather.
Had Mary's mother been alive she would have been his mormor = mother's mother = maternal grandmother.
Susan Moody is Christian's bonusmormor or papmormor = bonus grandmother.

Aspirins anyone? :p

Last edited:
It's not that dificult actually, but I'm from Portugal and my language is dificult as well, so I'm used to understand and not be confused with such things.

But for english speakers, or other easy language, it would be very hard and confusing to learn and know why a language has so many names for family members or other dificult things in the language.

:lol: Pass the asprin Muhler. Tak for the taking the time to share Danish family words. In my Southern California neighborhood we have a very large Japanese, Japanese-Hawaiian population. Every adult is called "Auntie" and "Uncle" even if you are not related by blood or marriage.

Thank you for the danish lessons Muhler. looks complicated : )
and those pants are purple/pinkish

Tak for the Danish lesson Muhler. I will try to memorise them! Is the asprin for the shade of J's pants or the language lesson:)

You are welcome, my fair ladies. :)

Oh you of ill faith... I cannot understand why you do not swoon at the sight of Joachim's tie: https://24.media.tumblr.com/e6a27b784141b7802037efcb53b5f9ed/tumblr_myfb7k2AsA1ry57s1o3_1280.jpg

- And at the other end of the scale we have the scarf worn by PH, obviously knitted by QMII. https://31.media.tumblr.com/9b67856e9aeae6493c627fcbbbf5c870/tumblr_myfb7k2AsA1ry57s1o1_1280.jpg
You'll need aspirins and sunglasses for that Lady Rosie...
(By the way, Santa was nicked for DUI Christmas Eve, and for flying with an intoxicated reindeer and now he is facing a grilling by the IRS, who would like to know about his income the other 364 days a year and why he hasn't paid vat on his export business).

Surely you must all admit that Joachim is a sharp dressed man - as befits a country gentleman. Upon my word, I'd state that had Sir Percy aka The Scarlet Pimpernel been around today, he would have taken lessons from Joachim. :notworthy:

Very sweet TLLK that you have so many nieces and nephews in your neighborhood. Slightly confusing perhaps, but sweet.

You may be right Kathia Sophia. I think that since we both come from small countries which until recently were predominantly agrarian, it was simply a matter of necessity to keep track of your family - to avoid having...novel...children.
Oh well, they can always end up playing banjo... You know, Duelling Banjos from Deliverance. :D

And Polyesco, I'm glad the mist in front of your eyes appears to be lifting. Joachim's pants are, as you are beginning to realise, refreshingly reddish. Trust me I have perfect vision and can see anything I want to see.

Last edited:
(...) is there a special day the christmas card wil be given out or how?

The numerous previous years, the Crown Prince family's annual Christmas/New Year card have been the front page of the Christmas-issue of Billed Bladet (published 1-3 days before Christmas). For some reason the magazine haven't had time to get hold of the Christmas card the last 2 years (in 2012 and 2013) before their deadline for the Christmas-issue. It's my impression that Billedbladet's New Year-issue is written at the same time as the Christmas-issue, so the editors can keep Christmas vacation between Christmas and New Year. There are no new articles or pictures in new year-issue.

Therefore, Billedbladet will most likely have the Christmas cards in their next issue (available on Friday, I think). Just like last year's Christmas/New Year card. A bit pity, because I think it was lovely to see the card sent out up to Christmas Eve.

Have managed to get ahold of tomorrow's issue of Billedbladet and all of the Christmas/New Year's cards are featured. I haven't got a scanner, so you're gonna have to do with lame pictures taken with my lame telephone:

Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik (taken at Cayx during the summer):
http://i.imgur.com/MPCdCI9.jpg

The Crown Princely family (taken at Trend at Prince Christian's 8th birthday):
http://i.imgur.com/aQ2X9zQ.jpg

Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and family (taken at Gråsten during the summer):
http://i.imgur.com/kI50h45.jpg

All three pictures are courtesy of the Danish Royal Family/Billedbladet, issue #1.

Alexandra, the Countess of Frederiksborg, has sent out a Christmas/New Year's card with an already released picture of Nikolai and Felix from Nikolai's birthday 14th birthday. There's also featured Christmas/New Year's cards from Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte.

The bad quality does not do the pictures justice at all. I hope that better versions will emerge on the internet tomorrow.

Have managed to get ahold of tomorrow's issue of Billedbladet and all of the Christmas/New Year's cards are featured. I haven't got a scanner, so you're gonna have to do with lame pictures taken with my lame telephone:

All three pictures are courtesy of the Danish Royal Family/Billedbladet, issue #1.

Alexandra, the Countess of Frederiksborg, has sent out a Christmas/New Year's card with an already released picture of Nikolai and Felix from Nikolai's birthday 14th birthday. There's also featured Christmas/New Year's cards from Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte.

The bad quality does not do the pictures justice at all. I hope that better versions will emerge on the internet tomorrow.

thank you:flowers::flowers:
they are great cards. I love the crown prince couple one and that they included ziggy. they sure look like an outdoor family ;)

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #01, 2014.
Where a Leif Graversen would like to know whether QMII buy Christmas presents for her staff.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that all employees at the court (some 160 or so) recieve a present from the department they work in. (That's normal here in DK. I can't remember even having heard of a place where the employees didn't get a Christmas present of some sort). But apart from that QMII give a present to the people around her and her family during the Christmas days. That includes the guards.
After attending the Christmas service on Christmas Eve in Aarhus Cathedral the Queen usually go into the guardsroom and present a present. (Presumably some treats for the poor starved guardsmen).

- Apart from that QMII's LiWs and her adjutants are not employees but nevertheless very close to her and I can very well imagine that they get a personal present as well.

I assume M&F do something similar.

Those were very nice Christmas cards, thanks for posting Archduchess Zelia. Frederik and Mary and Joachim and Marie's cards both give off a nice family atmosphere. I wonder if we'll get to see Anne-Marie and Benedikte's cards.

Last edited:
BB's coverage of the DRF is pretty heavy this week.
With both Mary's visit to Tajikistan and the Regent Couple's visit to Croatia.
Both of that requires a bit of work and will probably be posted tomorrow.

But let's start with Christmas.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #44, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

This year Christmas will be the big family reunion.
The Regent Couple, M&F and J&M will all celebrate Christmas at Fredensborg and apart from them the Berleburgs and the Greeks are invited, complete with grandchildren.
Not everyone may be able to attend but if all can come, there will be some 44 seated at the Christmas table.

The last time the family was gathered for Christmas was in 2006 also at Fredensborg. - Since then there have been quite a few additions to the family...

With the invitations was also a questionnaire, where those invited can state when they expect to arrive, how long the intend to stay, whether they bring nannies and so on.

It will be the Regent Couple's chef, Jesper Vollmer, who will be in charge of the Christmas dinners.
It's tradition in the DRF, at least when the Regent Couple are the hosts, that rice porridge is served, followed by goose and pudding.
There will also be the obligatory almond hiddin in the porridge, but only one. QMII does not believe in favoring anyone, including children.

It is expected that M&F will stay at Kancellihuset during the Christmas days - and probably they will have another young family as their guests.

Mary was asked recently what she looks forward to this Christmas: "What everyone looks forward to at Christmas... being with the family and the joy that surrounds Christmas and the laughter of the children and cookies and the tree and all of it".
Is she in Christmas mood? M: "That'll come in it's own good time. It's still a bit warm". (The temperature in the last few day have been an almost summerly 14-16 degrees C).

where was F+M Xmas card taken?

In Trend where the royal family's hunting lodge is placed.

According to BT and Billed Bladet and as Muhler wrote in the General News thread, Christmas won't be spent at Marselisborg in Aarhus this year: Bryder traditionen: Dronningen dropper julen i Aarhus - Royale | www.bt.dk

The cause being that QMII will throw a Queen Ingrid-style Christmas for the first time in eight years and invite her sisters and their children as well. Seeing as Marselisborg can't house that many people, they will celebrate Christmas at Fredensborg this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now we know what Leanne Donaldson was talking about when she talked about the 'Queen's plans' ;)

I think it's a very nice tradition to gather the entire Royal Family for Christmas once in a while (even through, I myself would prefer to keep a small family Christmas) I also do think it's a pity that the family Donaldson had to cancel their family Christmas - it could have been lovely for Mary to try to have her large family for Christmas here in her home in Denmark. She must miss them. It's a long time since they all have been assembled in Denmark.

I hope they all succeeded soon to find a new time Mary's Australian family can come to Denmark, it must requires time to plan with so many family members so far away with different jobs etc.

Last edited:
A present-calendar. Very QMII.
Haven't seen that pic before, thanks Polyesco.

I remember when Queen Margrethe made this little dog for Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix in 2007 for Christmas.

Attachments

• xmas dog for Nik & Felix by Qu 07.jpg
    xmas dog for Nik & Felix by Qu 07.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 304
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen. (*)

Who talked with Joachim about the family Christmas at Fredensborg this year.
There will be 40-50 family members altogether.

Joachim says: "Yes, it'll be a real hullabaloo.
As far as I know all will be there, so that's a lot. It'll be fantastic and real fun, but it will probably also be a... litterally a one off.
It certainly isn't something that you can do every year. We are after all scattered wide and have family in many countries.
The Queen got the idea because Amalienborg is being renovated (new roof). As they had to live at Fredensborg anyway, where there is plenty of room for all, they thought: It could be fun to invite all and everyone, then we can gather there all of us.
It is getting more and more difficult, and because we become more and more and people get married. The more there are who also have to celebrate Christmas elsewhere.
So in plenty of time a probe was send out: Does that have an interest? And yes, there was, there was a big interest at once and everyone of course said yes".

Gråsten at summer no longer seems to be the point where the family gather: "It's no longer at Gråsten Manor that we gather and see eachother that way anymore. That is, those who can... no, everyone knows they can come when Gråsten is in use and then plan the vacation according to that or don't. But it's not like when we were younger".

Q: When you will be so many it is difficult to imagine how it will be Christmas Eve... Will there be presents for all?
J: "Well, we have to establish some sort of system. Some kind of pattern so that it isn't all about everyone giving to everyone else. Because that will end up with 45 time 45 presents and that's not possible. - There shouldn't be a mountain of presents that will take four days to get through. It must be quiet and calm and the flow of presents must be reduced. Not least for practical reasons".

Q: So presents to children under eighteen?
J: "We'll come up with something. The youngest should preferably have the experience that Christmas is cosy and fun.
Yes, for the rest of us it'll be real fun too, because all cousins with spouses are more or less the same age and that's why we can really have a cosy time.
And it's nice for the Queen and her sisters to be together on such an evening. It will in every way utterly unique.
We have a fantastic time when we are together. But for the last twenty years I believe we have only been together at the really big official events, but then there are anyone else present. Even though they are someone you enjoy to be with, this is very different. Here we can really be a family... And I'm really, really looking forward to that".

(*) Joachim is usually like QMII in the sense that he rarely opens up, but with Trine Larsen it seems to be an exception, or perhaps he is simply relieved - now that the burden called Schackenborg is off his shoulders?

My pleasure Ashelen & MidwestMom. :)

Last edited:
I hope they release a group picture of Christmas like they did in 2006! The children will all have a blast. I wonder what language the children use? Crown Prince Pavlos' children all speak English?

It's going to be so exciting. I love that Joachim actually took his time to give long answers about it, I'm sure it's exciting for the family as well. Sad as it is to say it, it is probably wise to throw a big christmas for the entire family sooner rather than later – you never know how many of the older royals will be alive in some years.

I wonder if all the royals are going to be present – that would be really impressive (and it would probably have demanded invitations sent out already in the beginning of 2014). It would be so lovely to get some pictures to mark this iconic christmas.

I wonder what language the children use? Crown Prince Pavlos' children all speak English?

I presume the vast majority of the children speak English. IIRC Christian and Isabella do quite nicely – they, after all, have English-speaking maternal grandparents – I reckon the twins are only just getting to learn it now though. Nikolai and Felix both speak English, Henrik and Athena might be a bit too young. Since they've been living in France (and, I presume, have attended an international school), I think it's safe to assume that Richard and Ingrid speak English in addition to their native German and Danish (and even if they haven't attended international school, they have reached the age when you've had English in school for some years). Pavlos's children speak English as they live in England. The only ones I'm somewhat doubtful about are Alexia's childen – the oldest no doubt have English in school though.

I agree I think Christmas at Fredensborg this year will be a blast! With all the kids running around enjoying themselves. I too hope they release a group photo of all of them together. Should be wonderful for all of them.

However, and of course only speaking for myself, I'm also very interested in learning about other Christmas traditions.
Not least because QMII would have grown up with Danish/Swedish/English traditions.
PH with French traditions, perhaps with a Chinese/Vietnamese twist.
Mary with Australian/Scottish traditions.
Our Marie with French/Swiss and perhaps American traditions.
- I would be surprised if they haven't introduced something into their families as well.
Also because the way the DRF celebrate Christmas Eve is different from the way most Danes celebrate Christmas Eve.
The menu is different and they don't dance around the Christmas tree. In fact the DRF follow the original traditions from the mid 1800's rather than the modern traditions that stems back from the late 1800's.

All posts discussing various Danish and worldwide Christmas traditions have been moved to a new thread in the Member's Corner: Christmas Traditions from Around the Globe.

Please keep threads on-topic and royalty-related, and refrain from extended general discussion of broader topics within.

Any questions should be directed to the moderating team via PM.

Christmas is coming up and let's have a brief look at how the DRF celebrate Christmas Eve.
That differs considerably from how ordinary Danes celebrate Christmas.

Whether that applies this year, with the whole family gathered and many more children present I have no idea.

Usually QMII make a lot of the decorations by hand, often the evening before Christmas Eve, before the guests arrive.
She also decorates the tree, presumably not alone, considering her age but no doubt she's in charge. - At least beforehand there has been no indications that she let's her grandchildren join in.

On Christmas day on the 24th the whole family attends Christmas service at a nearby church around 16.00. When at Marselisborg that has always been Aarhus Cathedral. However, Fredensborg has it's own palace church so I guess they will go there this year, otherwise they will need a couple of buses to shuttle the whole family to another nearby church.

The Christmas dinner also differs from ordinary Danes. They start with rice porridge. Main course is IIRC goose and for dessert an English cake (plum cake I believe).
Then the Christmas tree is shown and admired, but there is no dancing around the tree, unless the DRF has changed that tradition recently.
Those present sing a few psalms before it's time for the presents.

QMII usually attends several Christmas services all through the Christmas days.

Last edited:
Is there a guest list?

Not an official list as this is a private event, but the media has found out who will be there.

BB has quite a few details about the DRF Christmas this week, and that's about all they have since the DRF haven't been seen much for the past couple of weeks.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #52, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Out of 44 family members, there will be 41 for Christmas at Fredensborg. Princess Nathalie with her husband and their child have declined presumably because she's heavily pregnant and there is after all 750 KM on the road from Berleburg to Fredensborg.

Most of the guests will stay at Fredenborg main palace but a few will also stay at Kancellihuset with M&F and their children, because M&F have decided to move in there for Christmas.
Queen Anne-Marie and her daughters, Theodora and Alexia with husband and children arrived on the 20th.
Benedikte has arrived as well and they expect to move from their apartments at Amalienborg to Fredensborg today Monday or tomorrow.
The last guests are expected to arrive tomorrow the 23th.

The Christmas tree will be placed in the main hall at Fredensborg, the Dome Hall (also the place where official dinners take place) and BB estimate it will be some five meters tall.
It's QMII who is in charge of decorating the tree! Although others are allowed to assist if they wish to.
The tree is decorated in warm colors, primarily red, gold, blue and green and with candles, QMII does not approve of electric lights on the tree and the candles are always red.
Apart from that the other decorations which QMII makes herself are changed from time to time.

The dinner itself is in the Garden Hall, and usually QMII is in charge of decorating the table herself, again with homemade decorations, so I think it's safe to assume she will do that again this years as well, even though the table will be a good deal larger.
The dinner starts out with rice porridge with an almond and there are no special considerations for the children, so the odds this year are 1:41.
The main course is goose and the dessert is an English Christmas cake, a tradition introduced by Queen Ingrid from her English mother.

The DRF always attend Christmas service on Christmas Eve and that means they will go directly from the palace to the palace church and that again means they don't have to go outside. The service takes place at 16.30, before the dinner and it's a Simon Agge Drigsdahl who will give the sermon.

On Christmas Day the 25th, Mary and Frederik will host a Christmas lunch for the younger members of the family, i.e. the nine cousins present with husbands and children, 25 people in total. (*) (Presumably the older will have a similar chat and lunch among themselves). The children present will go from eighteen year old Maria Olympia to almost three year old Athena.
It might be lively upstairs as well, because even though all the living rooms are at the ground floor at Kancellihuset, the children's bedrooms are on the first floor

On Second Christmas Day the 26th, QMII has planned a surprise for the whole family. There are no further details.

On the 27th it's time to leave.

The Regent Couple will stay at Fredensborg due to renovations on their mansion at Amalienborg and it's also here the live New Year speech will be aired from and also the traditional saluting by the guards detachment outside after the speech will take place here.

- I don't think we should expect to see much of the royals this year apart from them strolling around in the park or the children playing. But we will no doubt see many of the younger with their children walk from Fredensborg Palace over to Kancellihuset on the 25th.
And perhaps M&F with children and guests walking to the palace on the 24th. They can either walk right past the main guard, which is as far as the public can go, or go around along the wing with workshops. And that will be within range of the photographers lenses. (See plan here: https://app.box.com/s/j4058zbzjtyaypd0wx0o)

(*) Apart from Christmas lunches being normal here in DK on the 25th and 26th (See thread with Christmas traditions later) it is, I believe, also a consideration to Mary and other who have grown up with celebrating Christmas on the 25th.

Last edited:
Then the Christmas tree is shown and admired, but there is no dancing around the tree, unless the DRF has changed that tradition recently

So then Margrethe and Henrik won't be doing a festive Macarena or Conga for the Holidays?:p Because That?....would be priceless.

On Second Christmas Day the 26th, QMII has planned a surprise for the whole family. There are no further details.

Cue the editors of certain magazines :whistling: lol

41 out of 44 members. not bad.
I hope its a nice time for all and that we get some pictures;)

Back
Top Bottom