The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #2, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know the whole family was there, with the exception of Princess Nathalie and her husband. She's heavily pregnant. BB writes that Prince Richard opted to stay home at Berleburg with his pregnant daughter and as such Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson also stayed at home.
So 39 family members were gathered for the first large Christmas since 2006.

The waiting time can of course be hard for children so a clown had been hired to entertain the little ones.
The fireworks company who was behind the fireworks at M&F's wedding were also responsible for the fireworks at Fredensborg on the 25th.

On the 25th M%F hosted a Christmas lunch at Kancellihuset. That took place right after the group photo of the family, after which M&F drove ahead back to Kancellihuset to receive the rest of the family, who came strolling or were driven in a golf car.
Family dogs appears to have been invited as well, because both our Marie brought her dog as well as Prince Nikolaos and the Berleburgs.
Prince Pavlos incidentally caused quite a stir among some of the female onlookers!
Both Christian and Bella were seen running towards Kancellihuset, Christian with a present in his hands. A Teksta robot-puppy.
The lunch lasted a couple of hours but before the guests were allowed to leave Mary made sure they posed for her in the door, before getting a hug and a goodbye. Mary was not the only keen amateur photographer present. both Prince Nikolaos as well as Carlos Morales aired their cameras.

During the forenoon on the 25th The Regent Couple as well as Joachim and Marie attended service at the palace church.

On the 26th Frederik was seen working off some calories on roller-skis down the lanes of Fredensborg Park, while most of the younger adults in the family preferred to stroll down the lanes.
In minus five degrees C the walk must have been refreshing. Mary was seen walking (and chatting) with Princesses Tatiana and Alexia.
With Mary as the tour guide, Carlos Morales snapping away with his camera, the party walked almost down to the nearby Esrum Lake before returning to the palace, where Benedikte received them.

Several of the Greek family members wished our no doubt more or less blue-frozen a Merry Christmas, in Danish.

In the afternoon on the 26th it was time for a family outing to Tivoli, where they were to see the ballet The Nut Cracker. Mary wore a heavy sweater and on to op that a poncho by Zara.
Vincent holding hands with Frederik was most eager after trying out the various rides in Tivoli, but alas, ballet first. The family, that is the oldest and the youngest were transported by a mini-tramp to the ballet and the boys milled on the tramp first, leaving the girls to occupy what seats were left...
The ballet lasted a couple of hours and then the family left. Okay, Vincent and Josephine were allowed to board the tramp again and drive to the exist, so that got sort of a ride.
Princesses Theodora and Tatiana walked arm in arm chatting away.

During the walk M&F and children met a local popstar, Basim, who said hi to the children and Frederik returned the kindness with a: "Hi, Basim, I realy think what you are doing is good".

Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the picture of Queen Margrethe on the back of the golf cart with her arm around her great niece Countess Ingrid.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
More pictures of the family heading to luncheon were released today.

I like the one of Count Jefferson singing.
... and his teenage son being ambarrassed and looking down... He's devolopped into a pretty cool and attractive teenager. The same goes for Prince Nicolai.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2016.
Written by Henrik Salling and Ken Richter.

The DRF will celebrate Christmas at Marselisborg this year.

Those of you who have had a look at the residence threads know that Marselisborg, really isn't that big. As QMII describes is: "It's a big house with very little room". - I.e. big rooms but few rooms to sleep in.
As such it's believed M&F and children will live in the nearby Cavalier-building, while J&M, and all four children will stay in the couple of guestrooms available.

BB speculate that Vincent and Josephine will join the Regent Couple and the adults when going to the Christmas service in the afternoon on Christmas Eve.
Athena and bette Henrik have been to such a service, so perhaps all the children will go this year.

It is a tradition that QMII (and perhaps other DRF-members as well) always drop by the guards-house on the way back from the Christmas service in order to toast with guards not on sentry-duty and share a little glass with them..

- I hope there will be photos of Nikolai and Felix being "play-uncles" for of course their own half-siblings but presumably M&F's children as well at a nearby playground.
And there should be a good chance of seeing the younger members of the DRF running off some of the Christmas-calories in the forest around Marselisborg.

- I will return to this thread when I've gotten around to scan BB.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Serene Highness

I think that all 8 grandchildren will attend the Christmas service at Århus Cathedral. They are old enough to do so

The thing I am waiting for is whether or not Prince Henrik (the old) will attend ...
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Majesty

BB has compiled a little booklet with photos from past DRF Christmases and a little about the traditions.
You will find the booklet here: Christmas in the DRF

I will write a little to some of the photos.
I will refer to the page and the year, so it should be a simple thing to figure out which it is, and if there are questions, just ask.

Page 04, 1966: Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid celebrated Christmas this year at the hunting lodge in Trend (which they were very fond of BTW) and this was also the first year PH celebrated Christmas in DK.

Page 06, 2010: While M&F (Mary being heavily pregnant) celebrated Christmas at Amalienborg, the Regent Couple went to Schackenborg. IIRC QMII had to be flown by helicopter back to Copenhagen in order to give her New Year speech due to heavy snowfall.

Page 07, 1993: The Christmas tree in the background is decorated in one of the oldest fashions, I.e. in the style in the late 1840's. Modern Christmas trees in DK are much more decorated with much more varied decorations and more colors. This tree however is in a style before the First Schleswigan War, where not even little Dannebrogs were used. The patriotic sentiment during that war led to the extremely widespread use of our flag - and that has never diminished.

Page 08, 2007: It's QMII who decorate the Christmas tree! With a little help from her grandchildren - but firmly under the leadership of farmor Margrethe! Still in one of the oldest traditions.

Page 09: It's also QMII who make the Christmas decorations and indeed decorate the table. If she doesn't make something new, some of the decorations are saved from year to year.
Apart from kravlenisser (see Christmas traditions thread) such decorations are very common in ordinary Danish homes as well.

Page 11, 2003: These are close ups of three tables decorated by QMII and around which they sat at three Christmas Eves. Even the red bouquet in the bottom photo is made from paper by QMII!

Page 12, 1957: Queen Ingrid going Christmas shopping in Copenhagen with her teenage daughter, Margrethe. You will note, no bodyguards, no police officers , not even a LiW.

Page 13: The cup, with the "nisse" (see Christmas traditions) was made for Tzar Alexander and Tzarina Dagmar. Alas, a lackey dropped the set. A new set was ordered and this time the cartoonists behind the "nisser" included a lackey who drops a tray with china...
But also Dagmar's brother, King Georg of Greece got a set and it was so popular that this cup is the only one left of the entire set.
The gift-calendar to the right is a copy of one QMII made for one of her grandchildren. Handmade of course. She made one each for Joachim and Frederik and now she makes eight, one for each of her grandchildren.

Page 14: Each year Benedikte visits the Bering House of Flowers, which is the Mecca for traditional Christmas tree decorations.

Page 14: The advents wreath (again see Christmas traditions) is originally German (perhaps even Czech) but it was Queen Alexandrine who brought it into the DRF around 1910. She ordered the wreath at a florist in Aarhus, who exhibited the wreath in the window before delivering it (presumably to Marselisborg) and of course now all the ladies of the town ordered one as well.
However the Advents Wreath only became a must in every home in 1940, during the Occupation. When a magazine brought a feature about how the DRF celebrated Christmas. In the traditional form a Danish Advents Wreath is made from green fir, with white candles and hanging in four red ribbons, the national colors. - That has today evolved but is still a must in most homes.
Old Today, 05:58 AM
Commoner

Thank you, Muhler, for going to so much trouble. I really enjoyed the photos and your explanations.
Old Today, 09:06 AM
Commoner

You've just made my Sunday Muhler. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. 😊
Old Today, 11:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia View Post
Thank you, Muhler, for going to so much trouble. I really enjoyed the photos and your explanations.

Me too! Thank you so much
Old Today, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tak Muhler!!!! I have really enjoyed viewing the collage of photos. I find the one taken in December 1946 to be especially poignant as the war/occupation had only been over for about 18 months. The large family photo with the three sisters, their children and grandchildren is lovely too.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, christmas, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, henrik, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, prince frederik, prince henrik, princess alexandra, queen margrethe