Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Eya.

These should be familiar to hardcore followers of the DRF. PH's favorite slippers.
As you know he often wore them, also to official events.

Like all people PH had his flaws, but among his many good sides was his sense of humor. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Thanks, Eya.

The story today is related to Frederik IX's passion for (classical) music.
He was a conductor on numerous occasions for several of the more prestigious orchestras in DK.

This is the best christmas calender I have ever seen. Such a sweet and exciting throwback into the history of the Danish Royal Family. I simply love it.

Thanks, Eya.

QMII's digging gear and canteen from her time doing field-archeology in Italy.

Is this Frederik's little jacket when he was young? Very cute! This is all a bit like a Nativity Calendar!

Thanks, Eya. :flowers:

During WWII then crown princess Ingrid had little jackets made for her (then) two daughters. One of them is seen here.
The material came from her bridal-train - I think it's called. You know, the long piece of fabric dragged by the bride.

As you know the whole DRF will celebrate Christmas at Marselisborg in Aarhus.
That means those of us who have time to be around on the 24th in the afternoon can see the family go to Aarhus Cathedral around 16.00.
Upon returning to Marselisborg it is customary for QMII (perhaps joined by M&F) to wish the guardsmen on duty a Merry Christmas, before the family gather at the dinner table.

Benedikte however will celebrate Christmas in Switzerland with her oldest daughter, Alexandra, and her two grandchildren, Comtesse Ingrid and Count Richard.

BTW. The M&F Christmas tree is five meters tall.

----------------------------------------

And here is this weeks issue of BB:
https://app.box.com/s/i9yy00yca0wfqm5lfuuhl2u9hw0ec3he

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now Eya and Muhler, the two of you have worked very well together with these Christmas Stories. Because you have been so good I am sure Santa will leave a little something out for you.

:previous:
A Mercedes perhaps? :D
Won't mind a Maybach either! Even a small one.

Thanks, Eya. :flowers:

This is from the small theater at Fredensborg, that is now used as a storage room.
In 1953 the three princesses performed Hansel and Gretel. (In DK: Hans and Grete.) With Benedikte and Anne-Marie being the two children. And princess Margrethe, no doubt very convincingly, playing the witch and the children's step mother.
One of the props you can see is the oven where Margrethe... I mean the witch was burned.

- Okay, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the story of Hansel and Gretel it's about two unruly and gluttonous children who were having issues with their stepmother. Their father, a forest-worker was away most of the day on... business...
It so happens that the harvest failed and famine was looming. The considerate stepmother discussed the serious situation with their father and they agreed on taking the children to another area, where there would be more food available.
The scheming children overheard the discussion and only thinking about themselves they collected a large number of pebbles, that would help them finding their way back to their home, where they in their usual fashion proceeded to eat their way through the meager supply of food available to the family.
But the second time the children somehow managed to get away from their kind stepmother and instead went deeper into the forest.
Here they came to a house made from pastry and sweets. The two vandals unhesitatingly began to eat the house, without bothering to knock on the door, to the great consternation of the resident. A sweet elderly lady.
The kind lady, upon hearing the story of the children, felt pity for the children and placed them in a shed for their own protection. There being wolves and bears around - and no doubt also to prevent further destruction of her property...
She told the skinny children that she would fatten them up and when they had gained enough weight they would have a feast together.
The lady fed these two parasites well, and having a poor eyesight and not owning a scale, she felt their fingers.
But in their insatiable greed the children held out a bone for the lady to feel. In that way they could be fed until the kind woman's storage had been depleted.
Eventually, and no doubt in despair, the elderly women decided to host the little feast she had promised the children.
They were let out and led into the kitchen were the oven had been lit, in order to prepare the meal. The two little psychopaths showed no gratitude, instead they took advantage of the elderly lady's poor eyesight and with a tale of a fault with the oven they lured the sweet retiree to the oven and pushed her inside the oven, shut the lid and as a result the unselfish lady fried to death.
A horrible fate! No wonder it has been remembered throughout Schwarzwald for centuries!

--------------

The real story behind Hansel and Gretel appears to be no less dramatic!

Last edited:
I love your take on the Hansel and Gretel story Muhler - we definitely share the same sense of humour :lol:

Indeed a wonderful article :rolleyes: with gems like this sentence...
"To add a unique touch to the towering tree, the 46-year-old replaced fairy lights with candles on the branches."
Very unique in Denmark to use candles right? ??

Indeed a wonderful article :rolleyes: with gems like this sentence...
"To add a unique touch to the towering tree, the 46-year-old replaced fairy lights with candles on the branches."
Very unique in Denmark to use candles right? ??

Hardly... :lol:
The average Danish home here in December looks like it's on fire!
This example looks very much like the Muhler home BTW, curtesy of Mrs. Muhler. https://scontent-ort2-2.cdninstagra...385_126438135028663_7445746017993351857_n.jpg
http://bloggersdelight-dk.bloggersd...6/12/1D04019C-A74D-42D3-B76D-1C2DCF1D60D3.jpg

And of course while trotting around the Christmas tree:
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1240/image/123/1232868/22513954-dg.jpg

Thanks, Iceflower.

These two ships come from Frederik IX collection of model ships.
But whoever wrote the caption have no clue about sailing ships.
The ship to the left is an Asian ship of some sort, but the ship on the right is not a schooner! It's a full-rigged ship from the early 1600's. - easy to tell from the high superstructure and the distinctive galleries on both sides of the quarter deck. (The balcony-thing on the side.) Later on, during the 1600s, these galleries were used as closets and toilets for the captain and officers.
The crew and NCOs went to the "bathroom" at the very front (the heads). The waves ensured the heads were cleaned regularly. - And often also the bottoms of the crew as well...

The ship on the left could be an Arabian dhow perhaps or a chinese Junk. That's the correct name btw.

Thanks, Tarlita & Eya. :flowers:

What a nice video. In the butlers pantry.

I like the detail about Frederik "testing" the cookies in the background. That's a required task for all dads.

The cookies they are making are what we in DK call "brunkager = brown cakes."
They are usually roundish, but as you can tell you can make them in all shapes.
Personally I love them! We buy our brown cakes, there is a particular brand that tastes just as good as any home made. There is just one thing you must to take into consideration, once you open the bag (or tin) you must eat them all! Otherwise they will spontaneously combust. :ohmy: - I'm told, because I've never left any brown cakes over night.

Here is a recipe:
https://nordicfoodliving.com/danish-brown-cookies-brunkager/

But for those who wish to purchase brown cakes online this is the brand to look for. They are IMO the only supermarket product that has the real flavor:
http://offers.kd2.org/pics/da/64/da64004a168d08b32232f3246f8a24e10816e7d2.jpg
Their products costs a little more, but are worth it.

Last edited:
You know how in cooking shows they always say "Here's one I prepared earlier"? :lol:

Love the video. Love the Swedish and Danish crown couples letting us see a bit :flowers:

Fred and the cookie tasting reminds me of my dad ?

I was wondering the cookies so thanks. I am used to gingerbread or sugar cookies for shapes and decorating. But wrong color for either.

Love seeing the new dog joining in. Hoping they drop a cookie :lol:

Lovely ship display

Last edited:
Love the video. Love the Swedish and Danish crown couples letting us see a bit :flowers:

Fred and the cookie tasting reminds me of my dad ?

I was wondering the cookies so thanks. I am used to gingerbread or sugar cookies for shapes and decorating. But wrong color for either.

Love seeing the new dog joining in. Hoping they drop a cookie :lol:

Lovely ship display

Indeed. :D
It really is unfair to be a dog when the air is full of mouthwatering scents, especially when your humans don't drop food for you.
And Gracie would be so much better suited to test the cookies. ?

Thanks, Eya.

This time it's PH's rack for his walking sticks we are seeing.
PH had a number of walking sticks he used for various occasions.

In one of his poems, you can read here, he said: "Let's accept old age without complaint..."

Loved the video. It is just great to see this family doing ordinary stuff together. Creating family memories for the future. Teasing one another comes naturally to them.
Fred looks really content having a loving family to spend his time with.

Thanks, Eya. ?

QMII and PH's skis.

- QMII is (was actually) more into cross country while the rest of the family seems to be more into alpine skiing.

As a side note I can tell that Danes going skiing in Norway, at least before hand, has a reputation for being completely fearless!
The highest mountain we have in DK is a little less than 180 meters (200 yards) while the mountains they have in Norway are a little higher.
So Danes are ready to take on slopes that makes the otherwise blissful Norwegians turned white in their faces! :eek:
Reason: The Norwegians who have learned to ski before they could walk, know what they are doing, the Danes don't...

But no worry, the ferries back to DK are well suited to deal with passengers with multiple fractures. ?

On the other hand it's akin to the reputation Germans had here in DK, certainly beforehand, when they came to the west coast of Jutland, they somehow had the misconception that the North Sea is pretty much like the mild, warm waters at the beaches off Spain. It isn't.
So when the locals spot some seemingly undaunted people in the water, they automatically brush up their German phrases: Hier nicht gut swimmen, Gefärlich!
After all the locals live from fleecing... I mean they live of the tourists. :D
It's easier with the Norwegians and Swedes. They are not used to the wide open ski with the endless horizon, so they tend to freak out a little. :shock:
No problem, you just put a bucket, a bag or a pair of trunks over their eyes and leave them alone for a couple of hours and they are fine. ?

Thanks, Eya.

Sweet. That's princess Margrethe's Christmas present to her mother in 1945.
A book with her ow drawings.

Back
Top Bottom