Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vincent: "Oh dad, look at this one... Oh dad, I would like to try that one there.. Oh dad, this one looks fun..." I understand little Vincent. Too bad having to watch ballet when you like a real boy would rather use your Tourpass on cool boyish rides! :lol:

Billedbladet tells that besides Margrethe and Henrik and Frederik, Mary Christian, Bella, Josephine and Vincent were a large part of the royal family along on the Tivoli trip. Alexia and family. Joachim had his sons Nikolai and Felix with him. Also Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie and King Constantine was part of the large royal Tivoli-tour.

I saw this close-up of F&M's foursome from the group picture from Christmas Day:

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net...=6c3ed99943a2f44763be0637c201c1f9&oe=55460317

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pictures, Roskilde. The twins don't look too impressed; maybe they're a little tired. Isabella and Josephine appear to be dressed alike, and Isabella has evidently inherited her mother's love of bracelets. Vincent seems to take after his father with those colorful pants. He probably liked those better than the fur ones he wore in Greenland :lol:

How nice that they released a photo of the families all together (even if there are a few absent members)! I didn't expect that to happen. It looks like there were a lot of royal children at Fredensborg this Christmas, so I can imagine that the adults had their hands full! It's good to see Princess Alexia's children as we don't see them that often. I understand that they speak a mixture if languages at these kind of gatherings (IIRC it's a bit of English, French, Greek and German), but I wonder what language they mostly speak to each other and what language the children speak to each other.

I also think it was a bit risky of CP Frederik and CPs Mary to have the twins on their laps, particularly as Frederik is driving and they are seated at the front of the car. Has this been noticed in Denmark and if so, what have the Danish media been saying about it?

How nice that they released a photo of the families all together (even if there are a few absent members)! I didn't expect that to happen. It looks like there were a lot of royal children at Fredensborg this Christmas, so I can imagine that the adults had their hands full! It's good to see Princess Alexia's children as we don't see them that often. I understand that they speak a mixture if languages at these kind of gatherings (IIRC it's a bit of English, French, Greek and German), but I wonder what language they mostly speak to each other and what language the children speak to each other.

I also think it was a bit risky of CP Frederik and CPs Mary to have the twins on their laps, particularly as Frederik is driving and they are seated at the front of the car. Has this been noticed in Denmark and if so, what have the Danish media been saying about it?

I think everyone except the Greeks speak fluent Danish, so I imagine they speak English and Danish amongst one another. And French for Henrik ;) As I understand it, the younger Greeks (and the wives, minus AM) don't speak Greek. Perhaps some phrases, but I don't think they're fluent.

I would love to see some still photos of the family at Tivoli. Looks very cold. I think its great that all or most of the family were able to get together again for this xmas.
The most difficult thing I found this xmas was getting the family to stand still for a group photo. The kids were ok the adults couldn't stand still. sigh!

What an amazing and lovely picture!! That's going to be cherished heirloom in times to come. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It hasn't been a subject in the media – presumably because all the tabloid journalists are off on holiday. Usually they would be feeding on a story like this.

Muhler is entirely correct on this matter though. I doubt the police would even care about this had it been any of us mortal people who had done it. Fact of the matter is that Frederik is not driving on a public road, he is driving (presumably) very slow on a extremely small private road and IIRC you are not even obliged to wear a seatbelt when driving on your own property. My grandfather once drove with me on his lap in the driver's seat because I had thrown a fit (in my defence, I was three) and was stopped by the police who gave him a fairly strict warning. They didn't, however, give him a ticket because he was driving on a large parking lot rather than on a crowded road. One can argue whether Frederik and Mary driving with the twins on their laps was the morally correct thing to do, but legally there's nothing wrong with what they're doing. And that's even without playing the royals have special rights card.

I think everyone except the Greeks speak fluent Danish, so I imagine they speak English and Danish amongst one another. And French for Henrik ;) As I understand it, the younger Greeks (and the wives, minus AM) don't speak Greek. Perhaps some phrases, but I don't think they're fluent.

I think I can recall Crown Prince Pavlos telling about that he can understand Danish quite well, but I'm not sure.

more pictures on Christmas Day heading to lunch
Uge-Nyt:

Thank you so much!

1. QMII looks kind of sick and she is also the only one who is not walking (except King Konstantin) . I hope she is okay.

2. My goodness, Princess Benedikte has a great figure for her 70 years.
Too bad that Prince Richard wasn't there. Was he perhaps present at the first night?

3. Prince Philippos is the most attractive of his brothers.

Have any pictures of the royal family's 2014 Christmas cards been released yet?

No. And there's a simply reason. It's always Billedbladet who publishes them. But due to all the public holidays between Christmas and New Year Billedbladet has made both their Christmas issue and New Year's issue before Christmas. So unfortunately, I think we first will get them in next edition at 8th January. Also why we in this weeks magazine hasn't got any single information from the royal Christmas. Simply because this weeks magazine had deadline before Christmas.

A mess. Also because the next issue will be published on 8th January - Vincent and Josephine's 4-years birthday. Which means that the next magazine will have to cover the Christmas at Fredensborg, the Christmas-New Year cards, the New Year's Banquet, all the New Year's Courts and the possibly new pictures of Vincent and Josephine.

From 2005 to 2012 the Crown Prince Family's Christmas card was the frontcover on Billedbladet's Christmas edition. A fine tradition. But the last two years the magazine has decided to wait to bring the Christmas cards until January.

As written Denmark woke up to snow on Christmas Day. Kongehuset.dk has published this gallery of a snow covered Frederik VIII's Palace (F&M and children) and Christian IX's Palace (Henrik&Margrethe) which roof is undergoing renovation.

Amalienborg Slotsplads - Kongehuset

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Roskilde; that makes sense. Maybe Billedbladet will have to publish a double issue. Oh well, we'll have lots to talk about in the next couple of weeks! The pictures of Amalienborg were nice, too. That's quite a construction project going on. :flowers:

I also wonder if the Danish Royal Family has considered the implications of an eventual recognition of the Arctic Circle as Greenlandic/Danish territory? Would Santa become a member of the Danish Royal Household/Family? Do enjoy the attached and ponder the possibilities! Best wishes for 2015:flowers::lol::canflag:
"Santa’s sovereignty": Today's editorial cartoon by David Parkins. More cartoons: http://t.co/Nqw6uRkRmc http://t.co/ypmr38axIY - scoopnest.com

Last edited:
Roskilde, you wrote that Billedbladet "has decided to wait to bring the Christmas cards until January".
There is nothing wrong with seeing Christmas cards in January.
When I was in grade school, we learned that many people would observe the Christmas season up to, and including, Epiphany.
:wreath::reindeer::reindeer::stocking:

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #2, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know the whole family was there, with the exception of Princess Nathalie and her husband. She's heavily pregnant. BB writes that Prince Richard opted to stay home at Berleburg with his pregnant daughter and as such Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson also stayed at home.
So 39 family members were gathered for the first large Christmas since 2006.

The waiting time can of course be hard for children so a clown had been hired to entertain the little ones.
The fireworks company who was behind the fireworks at M&F's wedding were also responsible for the fireworks at Fredensborg on the 25th.

On the 25th M%F hosted a Christmas lunch at Kancellihuset. That took place right after the group photo of the family, after which M&F drove ahead back to Kancellihuset to receive the rest of the family, who came strolling or were driven in a golf car.
Family dogs appears to have been invited as well, because both our Marie brought her dog as well as Prince Nikolaos and the Berleburgs.
Prince Pavlos incidentally caused quite a stir among some of the female onlookers!
Both Christian and Bella were seen running towards Kancellihuset, Christian with a present in his hands. A Teksta robot-puppy.
The lunch lasted a couple of hours but before the guests were allowed to leave Mary made sure they posed for her in the door, before getting a hug and a goodbye. Mary was not the only keen amateur photographer present. both Prince Nikolaos as well as Carlos Morales aired their cameras.

During the forenoon on the 25th The Regent Couple as well as Joachim and Marie attended service at the palace church.

On the 26th Frederik was seen working off some calories on roller-skis down the lanes of Fredensborg Park, while most of the younger adults in the family preferred to stroll down the lanes.
In minus five degrees C the walk must have been refreshing. Mary was seen walking (and chatting) with Princesses Tatiana and Alexia.
With Mary as the tour guide, Carlos Morales snapping away with his camera, the party walked almost down to the nearby Esrum Lake before returning to the palace, where Benedikte received them.

Several of the Greek family members wished our no doubt more or less blue-frozen a Merry Christmas, in Danish.

In the afternoon on the 26th it was time for a family outing to Tivoli, where they were to see the ballet The Nut Cracker. Mary wore a heavy sweater and on to op that a poncho by Zara.
Vincent holding hands with Frederik was most eager after trying out the various rides in Tivoli, but alas, ballet first. The family, that is the oldest and the youngest were transported by a mini-tramp to the ballet and the boys milled on the tramp first, leaving the girls to occupy what seats were left...
The ballet lasted a couple of hours and then the family left. Okay, Vincent and Josephine were allowed to board the tramp again and drive to the exist, so that got sort of a ride.
Princesses Theodora and Tatiana walked arm in arm chatting away.

During the walk M&F and children met a local popstar, Basim, who said hi to the children and Frederik returned the kindness with a: "Hi, Basim, I realy think what you are doing is good".

I like the picture of Queen Margrethe on the back of the golf cart with her arm around her great niece Countess Ingrid.

More pictures of the family heading to luncheon were released today.

I like the one of Count Jefferson singing.
... and his teenage son being ambarrassed and looking down...:ROFLMAO: He's devolopped into a pretty cool and attractive teenager. The same goes for Prince Nicolai.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2016.
Written by Henrik Salling and Ken Richter.

The DRF will celebrate Christmas at Marselisborg this year.

Those of you who have had a look at the residence threads know that Marselisborg, really isn't that big. As QMII describes is: "It's a big house with very little room". - I.e. big rooms but few rooms to sleep in.
As such it's believed M&F and children will live in the nearby Cavalier-building, while J&M, and all four children will stay in the couple of guestrooms available.

BB speculate that Vincent and Josephine will join the Regent Couple and the adults when going to the Christmas service in the afternoon on Christmas Eve.
Athena and bette Henrik have been to such a service, so perhaps all the children will go this year.

It is a tradition that QMII (and perhaps other DRF-members as well) always drop by the guards-house on the way back from the Christmas service in order to toast with guards not on sentry-duty and share a little glass with them..

- I hope there will be photos of Nikolai and Felix being "play-uncles" for of course their own half-siblings but presumably M&F's children as well at a nearby playground.
And there should be a good chance of seeing the younger members of the DRF running off some of the Christmas-calories in the forest around Marselisborg.

- I will return to this thread when I've gotten around to scan BB.

Reactions: eya
I think that all 8 grandchildren will attend the Christmas service at Århus Cathedral. They are old enough to do so :)

The thing I am waiting for is whether or not Prince Henrik (the old) will attend ...

BB has compiled a little booklet with photos from past DRF Christmases and a little about the traditions.
You will find the booklet here: Christmas in the DRF

I will write a little to some of the photos.
I will refer to the page and the year, so it should be a simple thing to figure out which it is, and if there are questions, just ask. :)

Page 04, 1966: Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid celebrated Christmas this year at the hunting lodge in Trend (which they were very fond of BTW) and this was also the first year PH celebrated Christmas in DK.

Page 06, 2010: While M&F (Mary being heavily pregnant) celebrated Christmas at Amalienborg, the Regent Couple went to Schackenborg. IIRC QMII had to be flown by helicopter back to Copenhagen in order to give her New Year speech due to heavy snowfall.

Page 07, 1993: The Christmas tree in the background is decorated in one of the oldest fashions, I.e. in the style in the late 1840's. Modern Christmas trees in DK are much more decorated with much more varied decorations and more colors. This tree however is in a style before the First Schleswigan War, where not even little Dannebrogs were used. The patriotic sentiment during that war led to the extremely widespread use of our flag - and that has never diminished.

Page 08, 2007: It's QMII who decorate the Christmas tree! With a little help from her grandchildren - but firmly under the leadership of farmor Margrethe! Still in one of the oldest traditions.

Page 09: It's also QMII who make the Christmas decorations and indeed decorate the table. If she doesn't make something new, some of the decorations are saved from year to year.
Apart from kravlenisser (see Christmas traditions thread) such decorations are very common in ordinary Danish homes as well.

Page 11, 2003: These are close ups of three tables decorated by QMII and around which they sat at three Christmas Eves. Even the red bouquet in the bottom photo is made from paper by QMII!

Page 12, 1957: Queen Ingrid going Christmas shopping in Copenhagen with her teenage daughter, Margrethe. You will note, no bodyguards, no police officers , not even a LiW.

Page 13: The cup, with the "nisse" (see Christmas traditions) was made for Tzar Alexander and Tzarina Dagmar. Alas, a lackey dropped the set. A new set was ordered and this time the cartoonists behind the "nisser" included a lackey who drops a tray with china...
But also Dagmar's brother, King Georg of Greece got a set and it was so popular that this cup is the only one left of the entire set.
The gift-calendar to the right is a copy of one QMII made for one of her grandchildren. Handmade of course. She made one each for Joachim and Frederik and now she makes eight, one for each of her grandchildren.

Page 14: Each year Benedikte visits the Bering House of Flowers, which is the Mecca for traditional Christmas tree decorations.

Page 14: The advents wreath (again see Christmas traditions) is originally German (perhaps even Czech) but it was Queen Alexandrine who brought it into the DRF around 1910. She ordered the wreath at a florist in Aarhus, who exhibited the wreath in the window before delivering it (presumably to Marselisborg) and of course now all the ladies of the town ordered one as well.
However the Advents Wreath only became a must in every home in 1940, during the Occupation. When a magazine brought a feature about how the DRF celebrated Christmas. In the traditional form a Danish Advents Wreath is made from green fir, with white candles and hanging in four red ribbons, the national colors. - That has today evolved but is still a must in most homes.

Thank you, Muhler, for going to so much trouble. I really enjoyed the photos and your explanations.

You've just made my Sunday Muhler. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. ?

Tak Muhler!!!! I have really enjoyed viewing the collage of photos. I find the one taken in December 1946 to be especially poignant as the war/occupation had only been over for about 18 months. The large family photo with the three sisters, their children and grandchildren is lovely too.

Thank you so much for this such a lot of work.
We are so lucky to have you on TRF

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

You are most welcome. :)

I'll try and provide a picture of what the DRF will be up to on Christmas Eve. And mind you the DRF traditions are different from the traditions of most Danes.
Some of what I will be writing will be more or less guesswork, other parts is known to the public.

It could be interesting to see in which ways these traditions differ from Australian and French traditions, and perhaps also speculate about what traditions PH, Mary and our Marie may have introduced.
In other words: If you were French/Australian what would you bring with you?

By now all the youngest members of the DRF understand what Christmas is all about, so they'll be up early!
Each of them probably have several Christmas calendars, no doubt at least one containing chocolate. But QMII has made a parcel-calendar for each of her grandchildren, so they'll open the last one when they get up.
I think it's likely the children will get a small present to keep them occupied, very likely a game or something like that.
It's also certain they will watch the Christmas-calendars on TV, aimed at children (there are some for adults as well).
If J&M and M&F have arrived at Marselisborg on the 23th (Little Christmas Eve Day) they are no doubt turned lose in the park to burn off some energy!
It's likely at least some of the children will help farmor Margrethe decorating the Christmas tree, in the forenoon. The tree is only brought inside that same morning.

The children are rounded up before noon, for a little lunch, before having a bath and a change of clothes.
At around 14.00 or so M&F and children will probably stroll the few hundred meters to the main building to gather with the rest of the family. Perhaps they will have a toast in Gløgg (which is basically warm red-wine with raisins) and enjoy a handful of cookies like brown cakes and pepper nuts. And with PH around perhaps some sweets as well...

At around 15.30 the whole family will enter the cars in order to drive to Aarhus Cathedral for the Christmas service at 16.00. That'll last a little less than an hour. QMII will usually stay for communion and perhaps Mary and Marie will remain with her. The rest will go back to Marselisborg with the children.
On the way back at least QMII will drop in at the guards-room to wish the guards on duty a merry Christmas. (Most of the guardsmen will be from Jutland on this occasion BTW).

Back at Marselisborg it's time for the unveiling of the Christmas tree. In accordance with the old tradition the tree will be standing in a corner and the family will admire the tree.
With eight grandchildren around it is often speculated as to whether the DRF will dance around the tree, but so far they don't seem to. At least not when celebrating at Marselisborg.

Then dinner is served.
The DRF-menu is not typical Danish.
They start out with rice-porridge.
I can't remember off hand what the main course is.
but the dessert is English plum-cake.

Then the family gather in the room with the Christmas tree, where they sing a number of psalms, before it's finally time to open the presents.

I imagine coffee is served once the presents have been unpacked. With cake, chocolate, nuts and sweets. And probably a cognac and a Christmas beer or a white beer as well...

By now Joachim and Frederik will likely also be busy playing with the toys... I mean busy helping the children putting some of the toys together and setting it up.

By late evening the youngest children will have collapsed and it's time for M&F to head back with their children. Though Vincent and Josephine may already have joined their cousins bette Henrik and Athena in their room, snoring away. (J&M and children sleep at the main building).

Before departing for Marselisborg QMII will gather her staff at Amalienborg and present each of them with a present most likely bought in London, when she went shopping there earlier. As she does every year. Then she will read aloud to them a part of the Christmas Day gospel before wishing them all a merry Christmas. Most will be away on Christmas holiday but some will go to Marselisborg with the Regent Couple.

I imagine M&F will do something similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom