Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are some very stylish shoes Prince Nikolai is wearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Eya:
Please tell me I am seeing things here, in picture no. 3, is that bow ties holding the pants legs together that Frederik is wearing? I looked real close and even enlarge the picture, those sure do look like bow ties to me......not shoes strings for the shoes are brown the bow ties are gray like his pants.......a new trend? Alert Muhler to this new trend.......:lol:

Yes, it's definitely looking like bows, at least from the current photos. A little Christmas present from Fred to us? Something for us to ponder over the Christmas stockings?:D

Aren't they laces to hold the trouser-legs down?
Pretty practical if you are wading in snowdrifts. Or step into a puddle of deep snow.
It's cold and it looks a little silly when you are stepping into deep snow, and the snow force your trouser-leg halfway up your calf!
Especially as snow has an annoying tendency to slide down your shoes or boots at the same time.
- I did mention we have coastal climate here in DK, right? That means the snow is wet and sticky! :eek:

We can of course debate why Frederik is wearing such trousers when the nearest snow is at least 50 km away from Aarhus. :ermm: :whistling:
He is his dad's son. And just like PH Frederik didn't take communion and left early. The rest stayed.

Last edited:
He is his dad's son. And just like PH Frederik didn't take communion and left early. The rest stayed.

It seems like Crown Prince Frederik has made a habit of leaving before the communion. Is it known why he rarely chooses to receives it?

Aren't they laces to hold the trouser-legs down?
Pretty practical if you are wading in snowdrifts. Or step into a puddle of deep snow.
It's cold and it looks a little silly when you are stepping into deep snow, and the snow force your trouser-leg halfway up your calf!
Especially as snow has an annoying tendency to slide down your shoes or boots at the same time.
- I did mention we have coastal climate here in DK, right? That means the snow is wet and sticky! :eek:

We can of course debate why Frederik is wearing such trousers when the nearest snow is at least 50 km away from Aarhus. :ermm: :whistling:

Well this is a *First* for me, I have never seen nor heard of this before in my entire life. I have lived with snow all my life and never thought of putting bow ties on my pants to hold them down......I used to have those big heavy snow pants with elastic on the bottom, then boots with laces over the bottom of the snowpants.......that did it and I could barely walk. Not sure this I like for men, guess you could say, bow ties/laces on the bottom of men's pants is something I have never seen and not sure I like it either. Anyway Frederik looks so handsome as usual ..........that I can take!

It seems like Crown Prince Frederik has made a habit of leaving before the communion. Is it known why he rarely chooses to receives it?

Hmm, difficult to say.
He has beforehand expressed doubts about his faith, but that was in his early adulthood, when he was in doubt about many things.
As it is a tradition with his family that they and the children say the Lord's Prayer together at bedtime, I must conclude he is still Christian. At least to some degree.
He will more or less be expected to attend communion when he becomes king, as he will be head of the State Church.

As for Joachim. Well, he has always been more conservative than Frederik, and just like most Danes he rarely speaks about his faith, or even if he has one. (I do believe he has though.) IIRC Joachim didn't attend communion until just a few years ago. But I think it's something our Marie feels she wish to attend and I suspect Joachim attends too now, because he feels it's something they should do husband and wife. Especially if it means a lot to Marie.

Mary is a little more tricky. I speculate that she, like the majority of Danes in fact, is a holyday-Christian. I.e. she attends church on special occasions and at certain holy-days, in her core believing in a Christian God of some sort. That makes it natural for her to adhere to the Christian rituals on these occasions.
But for the rest of the year I imagine Christianity doesn't take up a major place in M&F's everyday lives. That is a personal matter between them and God. Lutheran Protestantism you know - A priest and a church isn't a necessity.
That means M&F are pretty much in line with the majority of those Danes who consider themselves Christian to a varying degree.
On top of that I think Mary taking communion is just as much a show of solidarity with QMII.

The philosophical question is of course: Who is the most true Christian?
The one who only go to church on holy-days and special occasions, taking communion and joining the communal prayers?
The one who rarely goes to church and rarely if ever attend communion but nevertheless consider him/herself a Christian in the core?
Or the atheist, who though denouncing Christianity, live a life based pretty much on Christian principles. Not least the Commandments?

BTW Congratulations, JR76. I see you have rounded your first 2.000 posts. :flowers:

Well this is a *First* for me, I have never seen nor heard of this before in my entire life. I have lived with snow all my life and never thought of putting bow ties on my pants to hold them down......I used to have those big heavy snow pants with elastic on the bottom, then boots with laces over the bottom of the snowpants.......that did it and I could barely walk. Not sure this I like for men, guess you could say, bow ties/laces on the bottom of men's pants is something I have never seen and not sure I like it either. Anyway Frederik looks so handsome as usual ..........that I can take!

Well, there is a secondary usage for laces tying your trouser-legs down or in: Bicycling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is a secondary usage for laces tying your trouser-legs down or in: Bicycling.

:lol::lol:Okay you got one on me.....:lol::lol:, still here when I see men on bikes in the summer, long pants is the last thing I see, it is shorts and they are skin tight..........??

:lol::lol:Okay you got one on me.....:lol::lol:, still here when I see men on bikes in the summer, long pants is the last thing I see, it is shorts and they are skin tight..........??

Yes, but fortunately some of us are so considerate we don't wear lycra... ?

Hmm, difficult to say.
He has beforehand expressed doubts about his faith, but that was in his early adulthood, when he was in doubt about many things.
As it is a tradition with his family that they and the children say the Lord's Prayer together at bedtime, I must conclude he is still Christian. At least to some degree.
He will more or less be expected to attend communion when he becomes king, as he will be head of the State Church.

As for Joachim. Well, he has always been more conservative than Frederik, and just like most Danes he rarely speaks about his faith, or even if he has one. (I do believe he has though.) IIRC Joachim didn't attend communion until just a few years ago. But I think it's something our Marie feels she wish to attend and I suspect Joachim attends too now, because he feels it's something they should do husband and wife. Especially if it means a lot to Marie.

Mary is a little more tricky. I speculate that she, like the majority of Danes in fact, is a holyday-Christian. I.e. she attends church on special occasions and at certain holy-days, in her core believing in a Christian Good of some sort. That makes it natural for her to adhere to the Christian rituals on these occasions.
But for the rest of the year I imagine Christianity doesn't take up a major place in M&F's everyday lives. That is a personal matter between them and God. Lutheran Protestantism you know - A priest and a church isn't a necessity.
That means M&F are pretty much in line with the majority of those Danes who consider themselves Christian to a varying degree.
On top of that I think Mary taking communion is just as much a show of solidarity with QMII.

The one who only go to church on holy-days and special occasions, taking communion and joining the communal prayers?
The one who rarely goes to church and rarely if ever attend communion but nevertheless consider him/herself a Christian in the core?
Or the atheist, who though denouncing Christianity, live a life based pretty much on Christian principles. Not least the Commandments?

BTW Congratulations, JR76. I see you have rounded your first 2.000 posts. :flowers:
Perhaps CP Frederik is (more) catholic like his father was?

I see, the danish royal family is riding in a van. As a german I am of course interested in the brand... Are there any more pics?

BTW Such a van is as practical as the Bentley of the Queen of England, which I have seen here in the forums just a minute ago, but for a fraction of the price - Even if it is a luxury van. Good choice!

And the Queen of Denmark looks fresh as a daisy :flowers:

Hmm, methinks that's a German model and indeed very practical.

It was lovely to see the Queen and Royal Family attended the Christmas Church Services as I often just focus on the British RF at Christmas as its on TV here!

I see, the danish royal family is riding in a van. As a german I am of course interested in the brand... Are there any more pics?

BTW Such a van is as practical as the Bentley of the Queen of England, which I have seen here in the forums just a minute ago, but for a fraction of the price - Even if it is a luxury van. Good choice!

And the Queen of Denmark looks fresh as a daisy :flowers:

Victor, there is no such person as Queen of England, she is Queen of the United Kingdom.

. :flowers:
g.

Well, in Lutheran theology, an atheist who lives a pious life based pretty much on Christian principles is, nonetheless, not "saved" as a sinner, according to Luther, cannot be justified by meritous works, but rather only by divine grace, which in turn is obtained solely by faith in Jesus Christ.

Contrary to a common misconception among Protestants, the Roman Catholic church actually also teaches that justification requires divine grace, but it disagrees with Lutherans (or Calvinists) that grace is received by faith alone, emphasizing instead a synergistic position where salvation is a process (rather than a event) and involves some form of cooperation between divine grace and human free will . Catholicism is in this sense a "less extreme" form of Christianity than certain branches of Protestantism.

I am not familiar with the Lutheran order of service. In the Catholic mass and, I believe, also in Anglican services, final prayers and blessings follow communion, so it is unusual for someone to leave the church before communion. If one doesn't want to take communion, which is perfectly fine, he/she simply stays on his/her seat while the consecrated bread and wine are being distributed (note: contrary to what happens in some Protestant churches, Catholics stand up and form a line to receive communion from the priest or a lay minister who is authorized to distribute it).

Should I infer that final prayers and blessings are said before communion in the Church of Denmark ?

Last edited:
Should I infer that final prayers and blessings are said before communion in the Church of Denmark ?

That would be incorrect. Final prayers and blessings are done after Holy Communion in the Lutheran church. Perhaps CPF had an emergency of some sort or is this a regular practice for him? I'm asking because I'm not a thorough follower of the Danish court.

Sad no family pictures at Marselisborg Castle and its Christmas decoration.

Do the children ever go to church with their parents ?
They do but not always all 3 days.

They all attended the service on Christmas Eve this year.
2016 the same and the 4 oldest also on Christmas Day.

Sad no family pictures at Marselisborg Castle and its Christmas decoration.

There never are. Only the family going to church.
Beforehand you would sometimes see members of the DRF jogging or something like that near Marselisborg, that is located right next to a forest.
But not anymore. Perhaps because taking pictures of people jogging or taking a walk in the forest and publish them, especially for commercial use, strictly speaking is a breach of their privacy.

That would be incorrect. Final prayers and blessings are done after Holy Communion in the Lutheran church. Perhaps CPF had an emergency of some sort or is this a regular practice for him? I'm asking because I'm not a thorough follower of the Danish court.

I doubt very much there was any reason that compelled Frederik to leave the cathedral.
From the few times I go to church myself it's my impression that only the devout take Communion, everybody else leave before Communion.
Personally I've only attended Communion prior to and at my Confirmation many years ago.
Like I've mentioned before. Most Danes going to church during Christmas, do so because it's a family tradition (a kind of outing), it's cozy and/or to enjoy the atmosphere.

Well, in Lutheran theology, an atheist who lives a pious life based pretty much on Christian principles is, nonetheless, not "saved" as a sinner, according to Luther, cannot be justified by meritous works, but rather only by divine grace, which in turn is obtained solely by faith in Jesus Christ.

I see. No backdoor, eh? :lol:
As for your question, that I think we should let our resident theologian, FasterB, handle. But she's likely pretty busy these days!

Yep! The van even has a little stair:

https://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/a18.jpg

How cool is that! Much better than the Queen of England's Bentley (from a brand which is also german owned (VW)).

The van has a more modern approach and not so baroque...

Yes, foot boards/running boards (?) have gone out of use on cars. They were pretty practical.

:previous: Do you mean Buddhist?]
Oh no, I do mean catholic, because catholics don't share communiom with protestants and PH was, after all, catholic from birth.

I doubt very much there was any reason that compelled Frederik to leave the cathedral.
From the few times I go to church myself it's my impression that only the devout take Communion, everybody else leave before Communion.
It´s not common for the congregation to leave before communion. If you don't take part in the communion, you simply stay seated and wait for the communion to be over (usually it takes 3-5 minutes on a normal Sunday).

I am not familiar with the Lutheran order of service. In the Catholic mass and, I believe, also in Anglican services, final prayers and blessings follow communion, so it is unusual for someone to leave the church before communion. If one doesn't want to take communion, which is perfectly fine, he/she simply stays on his/her seat while the consecrated bread and wine are being distributed (note: contrary to what happens in some Protestant churches, Catholics stand up and form a line to receive communion from the priest or a lay minister who is authorized to distribute it).

As for your question, that I think we should let our resident theologian, FasterB, handle. But she's likely pretty busy these days!
The final prayers and the aronitic blessing will follow the communion. So CP Frederik didn't receive the aronitic blessing at Christmas Day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom