Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's in de back of one of the pictures Marika posted.

Yes. I've saw princess Marie on that vídeo.
Thank you.

Who is the old man with a walking stick who alighted last from QM's car and whom Mary went forward to walk with him at 2:26 and enter the church with him last after Joachim and Marie?

Who is the old man with a walking stick who alighted last from QM's car and whom Mary went forward to walk with him at 2:26 and enter the church with him last after Joachim and Marie?

BT lists him as Pastor Parkov.

BT lists him as Pastor Parkov.

Pastor Peter Parkov is an old friend of the regal couple. He often spends Christmas with the royal family and he's also a frequent feature at Caix in France.

viv

Pastor Peter Parkov is an old friend of the regal couple. He often spends Christmas with the royal family and he's also a frequent feature at Caix in France.

viv
Often as in every year :flowers:

Nice to see the family attending the evening service, I think the Queen, CP Frederik, CPss Mary and Prince Joachim attended the next day (Christmas Day) also.
I like Mary's look, she has real festive look, her coat is lovely.

It is always a pleasure to see Christian and Isabella they are such happy children.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the card, black & white is quite depressing and Josephine's face is cut off. Great to have all four kids on the card but there is nothing happy or cheerful about it.

I think you'll find that the magazine has cropped the image like that so they could fit their front page text on clear space rather than Christians face. I actually dont mind the black and white perhaps they intended it to be a keepsake for friends and family to frame when christmas is over. :)

I think you'll find that the magazine has cropped the image like that so they could fit their front page text on clear space rather than Christians face. I actually dont mind the black and white perhaps they intended it to be a keepsake for friends and family to frame when christmas is over. :)

no, its the original photo and Josephine's face is cut off. its supposed to be "style" :wacko:

Im sure there will be new pics soon of the twins next month cant believe they are almost a year old time has flown by really quickly. Next years christmas will be wonderful for the DRF with the 3 babies, and the little ones as well as the older boys. Looking forward to it.

Great video- looks very cold! Love how close the Danish Royal Family appears!

To the Danish members:
Isn't it Christian and Isabella who, in the end of the video, shouts "farmor, farmor, vi går ind..." ? :D -> "Grandma, grandma, we go into the church"
I don´t think so. The voices are too near and clear to be the voices of Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.

I think it´s the onlookers :flowers:

A report from the local newspaper, Aarhus Stiftstidende: Gul jul over kongefamilien og Aarhus - Aarhus

Before Christmas.
No white Christmas in DK this year. (Nothing unusual about that though).
Marselisborg is located in Marselisborg Forest. A large stretch of woods between the southern part of the city and the bay and as such is a favorite destination when going for a walk for the locals.
When the DRF is in residence, the park around the manor is closed to the public, but then there is always the changing of the guards, which is also a favorite, not least because the guards detachment is mainly composed of guardsmen from Aarhus or the rest of Eastern Jutland. So proud relatives line up to watch and not least photograph their sons (and sometimes daughters).
The weather was positively balmy this Christmas with temperatures about 5-7 degrees C.

Sometimes a crown-car drive in or out of the entrance, giving the locals a brief guess-who-the-royal-occupants-are experience.

Prince Henrik was seen by the locals, he went to the harbour to buy plenty of fish, wearing what is known in DK as a "campinghabit = camping-tuxedo" = jogging clothes. He merrily greeted people around him.
He was also spotted at Clemens Square (where the cathedral is located by the way) apparanty doing some last minute Christmas shopping.
He drove back to the manor himself, with the chauffeur sitting in the passenger seat.

Pics from the Marselisborg Forest with guardsmen, ducks and other locals. Pretty idyllic. Pic #5 incidentally is of two locals in camping tuxedos and their dog.
http://stiften.dk/foto/se-billederne-mens-vi-venter

A gallery from the paper of the royals and locals attending the Christmas service in Aarhus Cathedral: Se billederne: Kongefamilien til julegudstjeneste | stiften.dk
Notice the last picture of the police officer wearing a white cap. They like it when the royals are around, that gives them the opportunity to wear the more stylish white caps, rather than the more practical baseball caps they use daily.

In the video I thought it was very nice of Mary to walk into the church with Pastor Peter Parkov. He wasn't left alone, but included by a family member.

These are the firstv two of five articles I intend to deal with this week.

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #52, 2011.
Both written by Ken Richter. (*)

As has become tradition the DRF attend the late afternoon service in Aarhus Cathedral on the 24th. Apart from the twins, they were all there, including the Regent Couple's very close friend, former reverend Peter Parkov. He has been seriously ill and even though he has recovered to some extent, he now has to use a crotch.
The service laster 45 minuttes and 1.500 attended the service led by the local bishop, Kjeld Holm.
It was bette Henrik's first Christmas service. Christian appears to have close bonds with his farmor, QMII. He held her into the church and also when they left the church.
Prince Henrik said afterwards: "It's lovely to celebrate Christmas with all the grandchildren".

On the 26th QMII went to service in Aarhus Cathedral with Peter Parkov, Frederik drove away to run a bit in the considerable woods around Marselisborg. Joachim and our Marie went to visit her former liVMarianne Engel and her husband, who live in Aarhus.
So Mary was left with the children.
There is however a large playground next to the park surrounding Marselisborg and here she went with all four children, a nanny and Ziggy.
The weather was balmy so Christian and Bella dropped their coats and started to play. Mary and the nanny focused on the twins, who were introduced to the pleasures of sliding down a slide. Vincent prudently dressed in a dark blue and white jumpsuit and Josephine in a similat bordeaux suit.
There were other people at the playground but they or rather their parents didn't pay any attention to Mary. (**)

However Mary was persuaded by Christian and Isabella to go for a spin with them on the spinning top. Then after an hour it was time to head back to the manor. Mary pushing a double-pram with the twins and the two oldest children running ahead past the guard, presenting arms, and up the road to the manor.

(*) Who litterally has been standing outside Marselisborg during the Christmas days. He was interviewed by the paper, Aarhus Stiftstidende. A typical example of journalists interviewing each other when nothing else is happening.
For him and his family Christmas starts at around 20.00 on Christmas Eve, when he is confident the royals are dining or unpacking presents.
But since he is hanging around anyway, he often doubles as an unofficial guide and information bureau for people who stroll past Marselisborg.

(**) The article questions whether most adults presents even noticed it was Mary and her children. Yeah, right! Four children, a conspicious dog, a couple of anonymous gentlemen and a brunette speaking with an accent, right next to Marselisborg? If you believe anyone present didn't recognice them, then I've got a mermaid for sale.
No, they were simply left alone. Which happened when QMII studied in Aarhus when she was young, it also happened when Frederik studied there as well. The DRF are simply left alone by the locals.

:previous:
Thanks Duke of Marmalade :flowers:

I honestly thought it was our Marie in the second picture, not Mary.

Thank for the pictures, I have not seen them before..

Mary looks so lovely :flowers:

Christmas is about to hit us in the face agian and I can sense that you are all wondering where the DRF are buying their Christmas presents.

Well, Annelise Weimann form Billed Bladet has sniffed up a few places where the various members are browsing for Christmas presents. - Female members that is! Because there is not one single word about where the menfolks may buy presents. Typical female-chauvanism if you ask me.

Mary has several times been observed in the (somewhat posh) department store of Magasin, in the store Zara and not least in Ikea. Apart from that she has plenty of opportunities to go shopping on her travels to Hong Kong and Beijing next month.

Our Marie shops locally and she is very familiar, it seems, with the shops in Southern Jutland. - Apart from that she is only a short drive away from Hamburg.

QMII has made her Christmas shopping a tradition for many years. She goes to London. (Harrods to be exact). And while there she visits friends and relatives in England. (And also the regiment in which she is honorary colonel. It was amalgamated some years back and can never remember the new name).

Queen Anne-Marie is frequently seen shopping in stores in Copenhagen, when she is visiting the family.

Benedikte shops in Germany, but also in Copenhagen, not to mention the other places where her travels take her.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50 2012.
Sådan bliver vores Jul - That's how our Christmas is going to be.
Written our Santa Claus in spe, Ulrik Ulriksen.

The DRF will go their seperate ways this Christmas.

M&F will stay at Amalienborg and Celebrate Christmas there. There will be visitors from Mary's family and it is presumed they will be John Donaldson and Susan Moody.

The Regent Couple will go to Marselisborg in Aarhus a few days before Christmas but on the 24th they will go down to Schackenborg and celebrate Christmas with Joachim and his family. - A number of our Marie's relatives are also invited. Felix and Nikolai will also spend Christmas there this year.

There will however be a family gettogether around Christmas. Whether that will take place at Schackenborg or Marselisborg (or perhaps Gråsten?) and when is not yet determined.

The article also wonders whether Mary and Marie have incorporated some traditions from their countries into the celebrations.
Just as it is speculated whether M&F will dance around the Christmas tree, which is not a tradition in the DRF but a must in practically all other Danish homes where Christmas is celebrated.

- So it would be interesting to learn about French and Australian traditions and what you may think Mary and Marie will introduce into their celebrations.

Well I doubt Mary will be introducing Christmas on the beach or dinner off the BBQ, might be a tad cold in Denmark for that:lol:

:previous: Well, you may not be so far off the mark as you thought. :p

It's popular for adults in particular to celebrate Christmas away from home. And "badelande" a kind of large covered recreational areas with tropical temperatures and swimming pools are, unsurprisingly, popular here in DK. - Also around Christmas - which is celebrated with a large communal dinner next to the pool. - While looking outside at the dark, cold winter landscape.

So perhaps not Christmas at the beach, but in swimwear or at least in T-shirts and next to water - yes. :xmastree::cool: (We need a bikini-smiley).

Last edited:
I wonder why they have chosen to split up for the christmas.

I'd love to see Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie and their individual families meet-up for Christmas again. The last time that happened, I believe, was in 2005 or 2006 when Christian was still a baby. But then again, as most of them say, it's hard for so many people to find one christmas eve where they're all available.

Back
Top Bottom