Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am quite surprised, tbh. Weren't they in Australia last year too?

No, that was 2015. That Christmas was not really a family Christmas. There were lots of other people too as they celebrated the 50th birthday of sister Jane and was not spent in Tasmania.

Last edited:
It may be the best solution regarding Henrik's illness, he probably can't cope anymore with a big and loud family christmas.

True, though I was kinda hoping for a big Christmas gathering again with the Greeks and SWBs. Perhaps this is for the best.

No, that was 2015. That Christmas was not really a family Christmas. There were lots of other people too as they celebrated the 50th birthday of sister Jane and was not spent in Tasmania.
Thanks for that :flowers:

Did Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik ever spend Christmas with Henrik's family in France?

From today on, December 1, the Royal House presents its own little Advent calendar: Until Christmas Eve each day a piece of Queen Margrethe's private Christmas decorations is posted on the official Instagram profile. Over the years Queen Margrethe herself has made various Christmas decorations that were decorated at Marselisborg and Fredensborg Castle.

** kongehuset.dk: H.M. Dronningens julepynt **

December 1 starts with a manger:

** Post **

:previous: Nice.
That'll be something to look forward to.

So looking forward to the Royal Advent calendar every day now ?

In answer to Biri's question, I'm not aware that QM and PH ever spent a Christmas with PH's family in France but there would only have been 5 before she became Queen (and the last one her Father was quite ill). After that, I'm 99.9% certain that they spent Christmas in Denmark.

December 3 - a lovely heart made by Queen Margrethe for Marselisborg Castle - "My heart always vanishes":

** Post **

The Palace also shared some information about the family's Christmas traditions, including a lovely private shot of Frederik and Christian and one of Margrethe and Henrik decorating the Christmas tree:

** kongehuset.dk: Juletraditioner i Kongehuset ** translation **

Last edited:
The heart is beautiful I worked with a Danish lady and she made beautiful hearts at Christmas so much work put into them

:previous:

What a lovely idea! The beautiful Christmas tree carpet was a wedding gift from a Danish lady. She posted on the DRF Facebook and was (again) very pleased to see it being in use.

Crown Princess Mary has posted the finished decorated Christmas tree at the DRF's Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcPS0JZn7pT/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear Mary speak English to Isabella at a certain point in the video?

It looks like a vey serious business to them - or maybe that's just compared to the bohemian, messy version of Christmas decorations in my own house. I'm no princess of course :)

What a lovely video all around the Christmas tree and Oh Holy night as the music,very festive.

I watched the video on the DRF's YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was really nicely put together. Candles do make trees magical - as long as they're electric and non-flammable! We don't tend to have them on our trees here in England though, but many people have candelabras thanks to inspiration from Sweden (we have a red one that we put up on our mantlepiece).
It was cute to see all the family getting involved in decorating the tree and I like the finished result.

Candles on the Christmas tree is very common in DK, or rather a combination of candles and electric lights.
The electric lights are used from the moment the tree is brought in and decorated and the candles are used when we dance around the tree while most other lights in the living room are turned off.
Most people have a fire-extinguisher, a carpet, a bucket of water or a spray with water and a couple of drops of detergent close by, just in case.
Candles provides an atmosphere you cannot recreate with electric lights IMO.

:previous: Thank you Muhler, you read my mind. I was going to ask when the candles were lit. Nice to hear you have the tradition of candles, a fire extinguisher, a carpet, a bucket or a spray of water with water and a couple of drops of detergent.

Ok, you have all the bases covered. Just one question, what is the detergent used for?

The purpose of a spray you can buy in every supermarket or florist is that it's handy to have standing next to a chair. It creates a mist of water vapor when you spray towards a decoration or candle that has caught fire. The detergent breaks the surface tension of the water and makes it more efficient.
A firefighter gave us that advise at a basic firefighter course I attended a few years ago.
Since we very often have candles in our home, we always have a spray standing by. It doesn't look as dramatic and is quicker to use than rushing out to get the fire extinguisher and fumble with it.

Short but sweet video and a beautiful choice of music...O Holy Night always a favourite.

A lovely video from the CP family. what a treat.
Love the part of Frederik helping Josephine on the ladder putting some ornaments. And the cute kangaroo ornament.

And lovely that they use the Christmas rug received on their wedding

"December 5th "Welcome again, angels of God, from high sky". Three angels for the Christmas dinner table. The intermediary servant, which makes up the glories of the angels, has H.M. The queen bought on the market in Cahors, France, and subsequently painted in gold."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcUDW1UHeLn/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

December 6th, "Bar" so soon, Christmas was ". When H.K.H. Prince Christian was two years old embroidered H.M. Queen this packing calendar for her grandson, so the wait up to Christmas Eve may feel a bit shorter with a little gift every day in December. The packing calendar has been in use all December months ever since"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWk3UjHiae/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

December 7 "Lovely is the sky blue". In the Blue Dining Room at Marselisborg Castle, H.M. The queen made Christmas decorations, which encircle the image "Faroese Birds", which was a gift to the Queen of the Faroe Islands Legislative and Local Government in connection with the Government Anniversary in 2012.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcZRNJdnIX6/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

11. december ”We all like our figgy pudding, with all it's good cheers, Good tidings we bring, To you and your king; We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year”.
H.M. The queen has embroidered an English Christmas invitation for her Christmas eve.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcjfEzAn5ku/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I read somewhere that she'd made one of these Advent calendars for all her Grandchildren. I would hope so, as I can't imagine she's just made one for Christian. Either way, it's a wonderful thing to do and I hope it will be treasured always. I like one of the comments on Instagram about wanting to adopt the Queen as someone's Grandmother, :lol:

:previous:
Eya, did Queen Margarethe actually do the embroidering herself by hand? That is so pretty and such a wonderful gift and it is used every year since he was 2? She is so talented and such a thoughtful gift for it will last a lifetime. I do needlework and sew and read history......love antique fabric and have a few pieces I am going to frame........that is hard to do, and that takes lots of time and patience to do that type of handy work........amazing woman and wife and mother and queen all rolled into one fabulous woman.:flowers:

The answer to both questions from M. Payton and LibrarianDaisy is: Yes, she does.

I read about it in BT the other day - of course I can't find the article right now. :sad:

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler - I was sure she'd made one for each :flowers:(and I knew you'd know the answer for certain ?)

I've always loved that picture and I so want a close up view of those decorations ? (and is it just me, or is anyone else longing to straighten two of those candles :lol:)

The video showing the decorating of the Christmas tree is spectacular. I like how everyone is involved in the decorating. One decoration was a star with a photo of a Prince. Who was the boy: Prince Christian or Prince Vincent?

Back
Top Bottom