Danish Royal Family Christmas: 2003, 2004, 2006-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Fred and his father slipped away before the end of the service like they have done in recent years.

Quite right, that coat is a little OTT, very Henrik, :lol:

I definitely agree, Lumutqueen, Very Henrik!!

Let's hope his grandson Henrik only inherited his name and not his style; even though on occasion my eyebrows raised on several of Joachim's outfits!!
:whistling:

That outfit is very Dame (Edna) Henrik but hides his pot belly perfectly. All fun aside, I agree that Henrik does not look very healthy and not only since yesterday. And it seems to get worse. On many occasions he looks peaky, least to say.

25-12-2009 Prince Henrik with his dog at Marselisborg Palace
during the Christmas days. Cute ;)

** ppe gallery **

25-12-2009 Prince Henrik with his dog at Marselisborg Palace
during the Christmas days. Cute ;)

** ppe gallery **

Not suprised we got a picture of P.henrik and his dog and not his family :lol:
Thanks iceflower, hopefully we get a family picture.

P Joachim has also worn rather innovative color combinations on occasion. I recall purply - fushia slacks last Christmas.

Are there any pics of the whole Danish RF b4 Christmas like they always did with the berlebergs and rhe Greeks?

It would be appropriate for a new family picture now that there are two additions to the immediate family: a new princess and new baby. Shame that Nikolai and Felix couldn't be in it this year, if they decide to take a family picture.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2010.
Mary fejrer Jul i det nye palæ - Mary will celebrate Christmas in the new palais.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who caught up with Mary when she left Christmas Seal event. He asked: "Are you looking forward to celebrate Christmas with your husband and children in the new palais at Amalienborg"?
Mary: "How do you know that we are going to celebrate Christmas there, if one may ask"?
Ulrik Ulriksen: "That, we have been old, is the plan... but are you looking forward to Christmas at the palais"?
Mary: "We are looking very much forward to that. We do".

The Regent Couple will for the first time celebrate Christmas at Schackenborg.

And these are the hard facts from Billed Bladet. There are two articles about the M&F celebrating Christmas at Amalienborg and the Regent Couple at Schackenborg with Joachim, our Marie, Bette Henrik and Nikolai and Felix. But apart from one little detail it's all speculations about what will happen.
The detail is that la Marie is in charge of the cooking on a day to day basis at Schackenborg and that she will probably be responsible for the Christmas dinner.

Billed Bladet also speculates that Mary may already have given birth by the 24th December, in which case she may well have been wheeled home for Christmas - and pretty tired.

And not wanting to hold back on speculations as well I believe this break with traditions may be due to:
A) Considerations towards Mary. But then why not celebrate Christmas at Amalienborg? Mary could attend if possible.
B) Mary has some of her family here for Christmas.
C) Marie may have some of her family for Christmas. In which case it will be very much a French affair at Schackenborg!
D) They just wanted to try something new.

I love the translations you provide for us as I don't have access to these publications and wouldn't be able to understand them if I did:)

My speculation on point A above would be that if Mary delivers before Christmas she wouldn't be up to any celebrating. I can't imagine having anyone over after having twins! But then I think back to the day they brought Christian home from the hospital and the press was there. She was walking and moving around with no problem at all and seemed to bounce back so quickly. Who knows, maybe they want to "hunker down" in their new home with their new additions and let C and I get comfortable with their new siblings. They probably won't be getting much sleep at that point!

One thing I found interesting in the article, Muhler, is that Marie does most of the day to day cooking for her little family. I think that's great and would love to know what kinds of food she prepares.

So i'm confused, Mary and Frederik are not celebrating christmas with the family because of the children?

The family will go to Schackenborg to celebrate at Marie and Joachim, who will also have Felix and Nicolai over.
Mary and Fred will stay at Amalienborg with Christian and Isabella.

I wonder why M&J didn't decide to celebrate at Amalienborg as they have an appartment there?

I wonder why Mary and Fred aren't going to Schackenborg either?

Last edited:
Aren't the babies due in December/January? Maybe its easier to celebrate at home. What if Mary has a C section? A lot could be going on that we simply aren't privy to.

But wouldn't the family want to be all together at Christmas, especially if the babies are born early, before Christmas.
Couldn't M&J travel to Amalienborg to be with the rest of the family?

That was what I thought, too, but perhaps Mary's relatives will come to Denmark, or Marie's relatives? After all both women have families, too, only they are not royal :)

They can but most likely they are choosing not to. Why we don't know.

Like I said, we don't know when Mary is in fact due (although twins usually come early). Although they would be traveling with nurses and nannies, are you aware of how much stuff an infant needs (diapers, bottles, formula, etc.) on a day to day basis? And multiply that times two. Plus two other children. Thats a lot to handle (not that Mary will be packing it)....how many nannies does she currently have? I am sure they will add at least 2. Whereas they can adjust to be being a family of four to a family of six.....in their own home.

Its a family holiday...its not like they are moving to the Antartica never to see the rest of the family again. Big families are a joy to be around but sometimes people just want to be immeadiate. In my family, for example, we always spend Thanksgiving together (grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc.) but Christmas has just been my immeadiate family (parents and sisters).

And, if Mary has a C section...while its definitely not as bad as it once was....she wouldn't (or shouldn't) be on her feet for what-----two to six weeks?

Last edited:
But why does Mary have to move anywhere after having the children?
If the royal family celebrated Christmas at Amalienborg, they newborns don't have to go anywhere?

I am not sure I understand.

Fred, Mary, Christian, Isabella and the twins will be at Amalienborg and everyone else will be at Schackenborg. I am speaking of Mary and Fred lugging all the newborn stuff and the twins with them.

Or am I missing something?

I think Lumutqueen means, why the rest travels to Schackenborg, while they all could celebrate in Amalienborg :) M&J have an appartment there, too.

Thanks Sternchen, :)
Christmas is about spending time together as a family, and seeing as their will be two new born additions it would be even more special.
So why can't Marie, Joachim, Henrik and the boys stay at Amalienborg?

If Marie's family is coming to celebrate Christmas I think it's natural that they would want to spend it on Schackenborg.
Who knows, Mary may also have some of her own family for Christmas and she and Frederik may want to make things as easy as possible considering the newborns/upcoming newborns and stay at Amalienborg.

Back
Top Bottom