The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Joachim confirms to BB that he, our Marie and his two youngest will go to Marselisborg for Christmas: "It will be in Aarhus and we are looking forward".

As M&F are also expected to be there, as well as the close friend of the Regent Couple Peter Parkov, Marselisborg will be crammed to capacity this year.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Christmas is, as the observant among you may have noticed, coming up.

During the Christmas month there are loads of minor traditions, which are more or less Danish or at least have been "Danished" over the years.
That more often than not involves children, who will lend a hand in baking cookies, making decorations and so on.

I thought it might interest some of you to have a cultural insight into these traditions. Some of them are with guarantee also something the children (and adults) in the DRF do during December.
QMII, being very creative, can no doubt easily occupy her grandchildren in doing Christmas decorations!

Here is a very good blog dedicated to these tradtions, written and very well illustrated by a Scottish ex-pat living in DK, so it's in English. She's doing a count down of Danish Christmast tradition until the 24th.
Diane's Daily Denmark

Looking at her blog I recognice most, some from my own childhood, some from my current childhood and some are things Mrs. Muhler parents enjoy doing with our children, (they have a couple of "Christmas lunches" together every December).

Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The Regent Couple moved their residence to Marselisborg a couple of days ago and here she is seen entering Aarhus Cathedral for the Christmas service Sunday forenoon: Dronning Margrethe er juleklar i Aarhus | Billed Bladet

In contrast to most of the family QMII go to church every day during Christmas, but we can be confident I think that the whole family will go to the Christmas service in the cathedral on the afternoon of 24. Probably with as many of the children as possible. I don't think Athena will go, but it will be interesting to see if the twins will come this year.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

BB's Christmas reporter at Marselisborg informs us that the DRF's Christmas has begun and the family has start to arrive...

Frederik, Mary and their foursome arrived at Marselisborg earlier today where Margrethe and Henrik waited. It was Frederik who sat behind the wheel when they arrived in their little family mini-bus.

Den kongelige jul er begyndt | Billed Bladet
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

A teeny favour Danish members please?

My children are hoping if you could let us know if you see Santa's sleigh overhead today. It is 12.23pm on Christmas Eve so any time in the next few hours would be wonderful.

Thank you Mods.

Happy Christmas to all the DRF members!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rosie View Post
A teeny favour Danish members please?

My children are hoping if you could let us know if you see Santa's sleigh overhead today. It is 12.23pm on Christmas Eve so any time in the next few hours would be wonderful.

Thank you Mods.

Happy Christmas to all the DRF members!
They are BEHIND you in time by 10 hours or so. You would see Santa's sleigh before they do. At the time you wrote that, it would only be 2:23 a.m. in Copenhagen on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Aristocracy

But in our time he needs to leave soon, because of the distance. And the children thought he'd pass near DK.

Then he makes his way back to Europe as the time zones changes, yes?

Enjoy the season with your families!

Mods if this turns into a drama please delete my post asking for the DRF followers help.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

Lady Rosie, it might just be 3:25 am here in Copenhagen (Christmas morning, yay!), but I am fairly certain that I just heard Julemanden's (Santa's) sleigh bells ringing in the distance... I think he might just be making his way downunder right now. Perhaps you can pass that on to your children?

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

The DRF to Christmas eve church.

Isabella and Christian with the Queen and Henrik
Kongefamiliens jul begyndte i domkirken | Billed Bladet

Mary and Frederik to today's Christmas service with the pastor
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=rjps544l

two more photos from yesterday
Se kongefamilien julehygge i Aarhus - Billeder på Avisen.dk
Old 12-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Picture and article from BB
Kronprinsesse Mary og Frederik hjalp Parkov under højmesse | Billed Bladet

Mary and Frederik to the annual Christmas service this morning, Margrethe always uses to attend as well.
M+F helped the elder pastor, Peter, out from the car. He has had problems with walking the last years and uses crutches.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

more pics from the 24th

Mary and Frederik (very handsome Frederik)
https://24.media.tumblr.com/c506058d...7s1o2_1280.jpg

Christian going to grandma, the Queen
https://31.media.tumblr.com/9b67856e...7s1o1_1280.jpg

Joachim, Marie, and little Henrik
https://24.media.tumblr.com/e6a27b78...7s1o3_1280.jpg

a Few more pictures from the 24th
I hope we all notice Joachim's pink pants
La reina Margarita lleva a la familia a la iglesia por Navidad - Diez Minutos
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Frederik, Mary and all children was seen leaving Marselisborg this afternoon in their mini bus to drive to the place they will keep their New Years Eve. Trend, maybe? The reporter also noticed how their car was packed with luggage and Christmas presents.

http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=ThcaaCTc

As you can see in the picture Denmark was today hit by a relatively dense fog.

The article also tells that Margrethe and Henrik will be on Marselisborg some days yet as they have an event together in Aarhus tomorrow.

Source: Billedbladet
Frederik og Mary er kørt på nytårsferie | Billed Bladet
Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
a Few more pictures from the 24th
I hope we all notice Joachim's pink pants
La reina Margarita lleva a la familia a la iglesia por Navidad - Diez Minutos
My dear Polyesco,

It is obvious that your monitor needs adjusting or that the Christmas dinner has affected your eyesight.
Anyway, gentlemen do not wear pink pants, Joachim is a (perfect) gentleman, ergo the pants are not pink, they are reddish.

On another note it would appear that Christian is telling farbror (paternal uncle) Joachim an impressive tale, judging from Joachim's expression.
Se kongefamilien julehygge i Aarhus - Billeder på Avisen.dk

Let's go through some of the family names again. It's something we are pretty particular about here in DK, since we have a zillion names for family members. (Not counting those which have gone out of use).
Joachim is Christian's farbror = father's brother = paternal uncle.
Our Marie is Christian's tante = aunt in general or aunt who has married into the family.
Had Joachim and Marie swapped families, Joachim would have been Christian's onkel = uncle in general or uncle who has married into the family.
And Marie would have been Christian's faster = father's sister = paternal aunt.

QMII is Christian's farmor = father's mother = grandmother.
PH is his farfar = father's father = grandpa.
Bedstemor/bedstefar = grandmother/grandfather is now used in general or if the grandparents are old enough to qualify as substitutes for bog-mummies.

Had Queen Ingrid been alive she would have been Christian's oldemor = great-grandmother.
Frederik IX would have been his oldefar = great-grandfather.

Bette Henrik is Christian's fætter = male cousin.
While Athena is his kusine = female cousin.

A sister of Mary is Christian's moster = mother's sister = maternal aunt.
Her brother is his morbror = mother's brother = maternal uncle.

John Donaldson is Christian's morfar = mother's father = maternal grandfather.
Had Mary's mother been alive she would have been his mormor = mother's mother = maternal grandmother.
Susan Moody is Christian's bonusmormor or papmormor = bonus grandmother.

Aspirins anyone?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness

It's not that dificult actually, but I'm from Portugal and my language is dificult as well, so I'm used to understand and not be confused with such things.

But for english speakers, or other easy language, it would be very hard and confusing to learn and know why a language has so many names for family members or other dificult things in the language.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Pass the asprin Muhler. Tak for the taking the time to share Danish family words. In my Southern California neighborhood we have a very large Japanese, Japanese-Hawaiian population. Every adult is called "Auntie" and "Uncle" even if you are not related by blood or marriage.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the danish lessons Muhler. looks complicated : )
and those pants are purple/pinkish
Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Tak for the Danish lesson Muhler. I will try to memorise them! Is the asprin for the shade of J's pants or the language lesson
Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

You are welcome, my fair ladies.

Oh you of ill faith... I cannot understand why you do not swoon at the sight of Joachim's tie: https://24.media.tumblr.com/e6a27b78...7s1o3_1280.jpg

- And at the other end of the scale we have the scarf worn by PH, obviously knitted by QMII. https://31.media.tumblr.com/9b67856e...7s1o1_1280.jpg
You'll need aspirins and sunglasses for that Lady Rosie...
(By the way, Santa was nicked for DUI Christmas Eve, and for flying with an intoxicated reindeer and now he is facing a grilling by the IRS, who would like to know about his income the other 364 days a year and why he hasn't paid vat on his export business).

Surely you must all admit that Joachim is a sharp dressed man - as befits a country gentleman. Upon my word, I'd state that had Sir Percy aka The Scarlet Pimpernel been around today, he would have taken lessons from Joachim.

Very sweet TLLK that you have so many nieces and nephews in your neighborhood. Slightly confusing perhaps, but sweet.

You may be right Kathia Sophia. I think that since we both come from small countries which until recently were predominantly agrarian, it was simply a matter of necessity to keep track of your family - to avoid having...novel...children.
Oh well, they can always end up playing banjo... You know, Duelling Banjos from Deliverance.

And Polyesco, I'm glad the mist in front of your eyes appears to be lifting. Joachim's pants are, as you are beginning to realise, refreshingly reddish. Trust me I have perfect vision and can see anything I want to see.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieDenmark View Post
(...) is there a special day the christmas card wil be given out or how?
The numerous previous years, the Crown Prince family's annual Christmas/New Year card have been the front page of the Christmas-issue of Billed Bladet (published 1-3 days before Christmas). For some reason the magazine haven't had time to get hold of the Christmas card the last 2 years (in 2012 and 2013) before their deadline for the Christmas-issue. It's my impression that Billedbladet's New Year-issue is written at the same time as the Christmas-issue, so the editors can keep Christmas vacation between Christmas and New Year. There are no new articles or pictures in new year-issue.

Therefore, Billedbladet will most likely have the Christmas cards in their next issue (available on Friday, I think). Just like last year's Christmas/New Year card. A bit pity, because I think it was lovely to see the card sent out up to Christmas Eve.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

Have managed to get ahold of tomorrow's issue of Billedbladet and all of the Christmas/New Year's cards are featured. I haven't got a scanner, so you're gonna have to do with lame pictures taken with my lame telephone:

Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik (taken at Cayx during the summer):
http://i.imgur.com/MPCdCI9.jpg

The Crown Princely family (taken at Trend at Prince Christian's 8th birthday):
http://i.imgur.com/aQ2X9zQ.jpg

Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and family (taken at Gråsten during the summer):
http://i.imgur.com/kI50h45.jpg

All three pictures are courtesy of the Danish Royal Family/Billedbladet, issue #1.

Alexandra, the Countess of Frederiksborg, has sent out a Christmas/New Year's card with an already released picture of Nikolai and Felix from Nikolai's birthday 14th birthday. There's also featured Christmas/New Year's cards from Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte.

The bad quality does not do the pictures justice at all. I hope that better versions will emerge on the internet tomorrow.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, christmas, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, henrik, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, prince frederik, prince henrik, princess alexandra, queen margrethe