Danish Referendum on Succession Laws: June 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but in the time leading up to this election I have heard critical voices against the know-all attitude by mr. Heiberg. A historian, yes, well-respected, probably - knows it all - hardly :)
It was on the radio one day I heard someone comment very dryly that mr. Heiberg is rather fond of telling us what the queen thinks on various issues.

I don't think there's necessarily any reason we should believe him, but on the other hand I don't think we have any reason to be certain that the Queen does approve of the referendum. I think it's possible she's quite pleased with the result, but I also think it's just as possible that she isn't - some people in Denmark were, of course, against the change, and I don't think it would be absolutely unbelievable for her to be one of them, especially considering that I've read (it was referenced somewhere on this website, but I can't remember where) that her father begged for the law not to be changed back in 1953 so that his daughter would be spared the burden of the throne.

It may not be possible for outsiders to know what the Queen's position is on equal premoginature but it would seem reasonable enough to me for her to be opposed to it, her status as a Queen not withstanding. She is from a generation that held faster to handed-down traditions and just because it is a "woman's issue" does not mean all women will agree. If I remember right Queen Victoria of Britain was against women's suffrage and supposedly the last words of the formidable Empress-Dowager Cixi of China were a warning to never again let a woman dominate the government. :rolleyes:

:daneflag2: :britflag2: :chinaflag:

I don't think there's necessarily any reason we should believe him, but on the other hand I don't think we have any reason to be certain that the Queen does approve of the referendum. I think it's possible she's quite pleased with the result, but I also think it's just as possible that she isn't

You are so right Maura724. Fact is nobody knows but the Queen herselfe :flowers:

:previous:

It would depend on when the new act is brought in, and if Mary has another boy before then. Then it would also depend on if it was retroactive (like in Sweden) or not (like in Norway).

But for the surname , a Christian follows always a Frederik and vice/versa.
Centuries later a Margarete II succeeded Margarete I.
Why is their a problem to give a surname to Joachim's 3e boy ??

:previous:

It would depend on when the new act is brought in, and if Mary has another boy before then. Then it would also depend on if it was retroactive (like in Sweden) or not (like in Norway).

Thank you for that information JessRulz. I really hope it does include Isabella it would be unfair for her to loose her place because of the rule being brought in at an inconvenient time. :flowers:

Just out of interest, could someone let us know what the actual wording/question was on the ballot paper people were given to cast their vote with regard to the referendum? I think the question would have had to have been very carefully worded.

I imagine that QMII would have had very definate personal views on the referendum, along with views discussed with the givernment, but exactly what those veiws might be may never truly be known (unless she states them). I would hope that the government would have taken on board what she had to say about it because after all it is her family's future being decided upon from a personal point of view.

On the other hand, her views may well have had to be balanced with the fact that she is a monarch, not just a mother and grandparent and her official views ought to have been guided by the will of the people.

Having said that, until someone said "there's a problem with the monarchy because of equal rights so we need a referendum on it" was the whole issue really that important for the people of Denmark? Like many issues, most people are probably quite happy with the staus quo until some bright spark decides to bring up a subject no one ever thought of before and before you know it there's a referendum on it (or not in some cases!). I've said it before: the strength of the monarchy is found in its consistency, traditions and the fact that it remains the same (most of the time), which is important in an ever changing and supposedly progressive world. Phew! I'll jump off my soap-box and have a cuppa now! ;)

I imagine that QMII would have had very definate personal views on the referendum, along with views discussed with the givernment, but exactly what those veiws might be may never truly be known (unless she states them). I would hope that the government would have taken on board what she had to say about it because after all it is her family's future being decided upon from a personal point of view.

Yes - I generally agree with the custom that royals don't share their views on political issues; however, this would be one of the rare occasions on which I think it would be very appropriate for the monarch to do so.

Notwithstanding my personal opinion, congratulations to all of those who are pleased with the results! :flowers: I hope the change will somehow be useful to the Kingdom (or Queendom, for that matter :D).

Just out of interest, could someone let us know what the actual wording/question was on the ballot paper people were given to cast their vote with regard to the referendum?

As far as I remember the wording was:

Du you think that the law of succession to the throne shall be changed?

Yes?

No?

The wording has been the subject ot discussion, as it was not explained what the change was about. Some voters was bewildered and quit frankly I think the wording was a mess made by knowledgeably people at the ministry of state.

Here's an article (in Swedish) that talks about the discussion and debate in Denmark regarding changing Prince Henrik's title to King:

Victoria och Daniel - www.gd.se

It says that some of the political parties are open to discussion about changing his title, while others are not. It interviews a member of the "Danish People's Party" who says that parliament will never be able to agree, so they may as well drop the idea.

And here's another article (in English):

http://www.cphpost.dk/news/136-roya...-wish-is-queens-to-grant-politicians-say.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom