Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2017

Here is the menu from the New Year Court; from kongehuset.dk:

Pheasant consommé

Meat and dumplings

Saddle of lamb

Pommes noisette, spinatflan (could a Danish member tell me what a spinatflan would be in English?)

Rosemary cloud

Cheese pie

Kumquatkage with merengue

Wine:

Rosenborg

Château de Cayx 2010

Cahors

Moët et Chandon

Cuvée M & H Special

If you're interested, the DRF's website also has a list of music that was played:

Menu og musik ved nytårstaffel 1. januar 2017 | Kongehuset

Last edited:
Pommes noisette are waxy potatoes, cut into marble shapes with a melon baller, pan fried (usually in butter).

The other is spinach flan - is a spinach and egg custard baked in a mold (usually without a crust - which would make it more a quiche.

So yummy and hearty while visually very pleasing. :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm pleased to see that DM for once wrote an article with hard facts.
It's not that hard to read up a little bit, is it, DM?

A BB gallery: SE BILLEDERNE: Dronningen og svigerdøtrene så fantastiske ud til nytårstaffel | BILLED-BLADET

And a video: SE VIDEO: Flot nytårstaffel på Amalienborg | BILLED-BLADET
The first lady to be seen in the vid, is Pia Kjærsgaard, who is Chairman of the Parliament and as such she formally holds the highest position anyone outside the DRF can hold. She outranks the PM.

Observe and admire how Joachim, who is a perfect gentleman, ensured that our Marie stands to his right, as befits someone as precious as his wife. It's in the details.

The man QMII greets when going inside is the head of her staff of adjutants.

Normally the public can get quite close on this evening, almost as close as the press, but for (alas obvious) security reasons they were held further back this year.

Thank you Muhler and happy new year to you and yours (did your hedge survive the storm?:bang:)I did indeed observe and admire Prince Joachim and our Marie, but wonder if the Prince has a new uniform to add even more centimetres to his impressive height? I cannot recall seeing him under such wondrous feathering before:flowers:

(..)

Question for Danish members...I noticed that the public were not as close to seeing members of the DRF this year as in past years. I am so accustomed to seeing the Danish public so close to their monarchy. Were there any clear threat to the royal family or this particular event. Or was there just an overabundance of caution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for Danish members...I noticed that the public were not as close to seeing members of the DRF this year as in past years. I am so accustomed to seeing the Danish public so close to their monarchy. Were there any clear threat to the royal family or this particular event. Or was there just an overabundance of caution?

It took place at Amalienborg if I am not mistaken. That is essentially composed of four large mansions in a carré. I am no expert on security, but crowd control looks not so difficult on a square with four entrances.

Fabulous start to the New Year!

Loved seeing the DRF out and about and looking marvelous on 1/1/17. CP Mary looked elegant and beautiful in her gorgeous gold gown. I also love how she continues to play with various combinations of the Ruby Parure year after year. Princess Marie looked lovely. HM the Queen was, as always, in a class all her own: regal yet seemingly so approachable (that eye rolling when she realized she was using the wrong stairs was priceless!).

This thread is dedicated to the Danish New Year Courts. Off topic posts about Crown Princess Mary and other Crown Princesses have been removed.

Please stay on topic of this thread - thank you!

Congratulations on your first post, Lady Georgina. :)

Thank you Muhler and happy new year to you and yours (did your hedge survive the storm?:bang:)I did indeed observe and admire Prince Joachim and our Marie, but wonder if the Prince has a new uniform to add even more centimetres to his impressive height? I cannot recall seeing him under such wondrous feathering before:flowers:

You are welcome. :) Our hedge did survive but a third of a tree in our backgarden didn't, so we may have to cut it down entirely. :sad:

Joachim's uniform is due to him now being a full colonel and as such a staff-officer. I.e. an officer who is so high ranking that he has a staff.
That in contrast to a staff-officer, who works in a staff. - Confused? Good. :D

(..)

Any threat may have just as much directed at the politicians.
I think it was a case of simply having way too many targets of opportunity within reach of a knife-wielding nutcase. Sad that such things are necessary. - But there were actually quite a few civilians present. They stood near the center of the square, next to the equestrian statue.

It took place at Amalienborg if I am not mistaken. That is essentially composed of four large mansions in a carré. I am no expert on security, but crowd control looks not so difficult on a square with four entrances.

It probably isn't, but can't help thinking it also means that people have bigger problems getting away.

This might better be placed under royal transportation... :p

But one feature in connection with the New Year Courts is QMII riding in the Gold-Carriage.
BB has a nice little video behind the scenes. VIDEO: Et kig bag kulisserne inden dronningens tur i guldkareten onsdag morgen | BILLED-BLADET

The carriage is from 1840 and is also known as State-Carriage No 1.
It's a beautiful but also frail carriage which needs constant maintaining. It's also not heated so the occupants are wrapped in fur during winters.

It was QMII who introduced riding to the New Year Courts at Christiansborg.
We also see some white horses. These belongs to the DRF and are stabled at Christiansborg, where there are large stables. They are Czech horses and when thirteen such horses are in use, primarily because of their docile nature.

The blanket the coachman sit on is a present from the employees of the Royal Stables. It's handmade and cost the equivalent of a small summer-cottage!

- Writing this I just saw M&F arrive for the Diplomatic Corps. - I think you'll like what you are going to see.

:previous:

Wauw!

I see CP Mary is in an edited version of her previous New Year Court gown.

She is beautiful!

I love her way to recycle and recycle by sewing old gown on the "new" ones :)

A quite stunning picture of Mary arriving to the New Years Court evening:

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=cdd1d0e8ef95000299583a13faf7546f&oe=591AED30

Telling us CP Mary recycled her golden gown by Danish Jesper Høvring. And the cape is by Danish Lasse Spangenberg.

- Writing this I just saw M&F arrive for the Diplomatic Corps. - I think you'll like what you are going to see.

Frederik in uniform, how could we not? ;)
http://previews.rexfeatures.com/pre...3a0e770685c17dc8a3d9f6abdb5153fe76ab449de5947

gallery
Editorial Photos, Celebrity, News, & Sports Images | Rex

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attend the Diplomatic reception
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1PtLUBWEAANTeb.jpg:small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1PtN3VXUAE78aC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1Pn-rjXgAUkZTv.jpg:small

This might better be placed under royal transportation... :p

But one feature in connection with the New Year Courts is QMII riding in the Gold-Carriage.
BB has a nice little video behind the scenes. VIDEO: Et kig bag kulisserne inden dronningens tur i guldkareten onsdag morgen | BILLED-BLADET

The carriage is from 1840 and is also known as State-Carriage No 1.
It's a beautiful but also frail carriage which needs constant maintaining. It's also not heated so the occupants are wrapped in fur during winters.

It was QMII who introduced riding to the New Year Courts at Christiansborg.
We also see some white horses. These belongs to the DRF and are stabled at Christiansborg, where there are large stables. They are Czech horses and when thirteen such horses are in use, primarily because of their docile nature.

The blanket the coachman sit on is a present from the employees of the Royal Stables. It's handmade and cost the equivalent of a small summer-cottage!

Muhler - as I watched the video of the arrivals and saw that people go stag to these levees, it occurred to me - are these New Year events any fun for those attending? An honour, compelled attendance, part of the job - I get all that. But does one look forward to the time spent in attendance as a politician, military leader, whatever?
I know some few people that would see going stag to a dress up event as a great thing. But I know far many more that would think it was the seventh level of hell. But that's just the people I know and an American thing.
I'm sure the food is quite entertaining, the drinks are good, etc. but do people beg off ever? How long does the event last? Since it's a stag event, what do people do beside eat, do the reception line thing and seeing/being seen? It's not as if one could bring along a deck of cards and poker chips? It's not as if people can dance? Stream Sherlock on their phones? ;)

Muhler - as I watched the video of the arrivals and saw that people go stag to these levees, it occurred to me - are these New Year events any fun for those attending? An honour, compelled attendance, part of the job - I get all that. But does one look forward to the time spent in attendance as a politician, military leader, whatever?
I know some few people that would see going stag to a dress up event as a great thing. But I know far many more that would think it was the seventh level of hell. But that's just the people I know and an American thing.
I'm sure the food is quite entertaining, the drinks are good, etc. but do people beg off ever? How long does the event last? Since it's a stag event, what do people do beside eat, do the reception line thing and seeing/being seen? It's not as if one could bring along a deck of cards and poker chips? It's not as if people can dance? Stream Sherlock on their phones? ;)

Certainly the Grand New Year Court and the Court for the Diplomatic Corps, has consistently been described as a festive occasion, (the DRF appear to be lively hosts) and as an experience.
It is after all rarely people get an opportunity to really dress up and do it in an atmosphere that is formal, but not stiff.
It's also an experience because they are taking part in a tradition that goes back some 500 years.
And the taste of the more than 500 year old Rosenborg Wine is certainly an experience! :yuk: Okay, it's now become drinkable, but it nevertheless has a certain... flavor...

What are they doing? They chat and enjoy the food. Even government ministers don't have that many opportunities to just meet and chat at an occasion where they don't have to talk business. And they do it without any press listening in.

For the diplomats. Well, it's a festive occasion where they for once have an opportunity to show up in their finest, often national attire. And not least mingle and chat with the other diplomats.
Here they are all on neutral ground and protocol wise they are all equals. So some diplomats get an opportunity to talk with diplomats they may not necessarily talk with for all sorts of reasons.
But first and foremost, on that day you genuinely represent your country to the general public. Which is also a reason why so many dress in traditional attire.

The courts with other high ranking members of the society i.e. judges, high ranking administrative civil servants, officers may be shorter and perhaps not exactly a party. But most will know each other, either from previous jobs or because they studied (or served) together and often they don't get an opportunity to meet that often either and catch up and talk about old days. Now they can.

Let's see what happens at the Court of the Diplomatic Corps.

The diplomats will be lined according to seniority and that is also the order in which they greet the DRF. QMII gave a speech wishing the diplomats a Happy New Year.
The doyen of the diplomatic corps will give a speech wishing the DRF a Happy New Year with all best wishes for Denmark.
For newer members: The doyen or doyenne is the ambassador who been in Denmark the longest. It's traditional the doyen acts as spokesperson for all the diplomats in any given country, when it's necessary.

Great pictures of the Queen and the Crown Prince couple arriving to Christiansborg today
(click on them to enlarge)

CP Frederik and CP Mary:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1PtLUBWEAANTeb.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1PoAREW8AA1FzU.jpg

Queen Margrethe:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1PtRDjWIAAfqiF.jpg

Beautiful picture of Queen Margrethe and the Crown Prince Couple at today's Court posted by the DRF Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOzYu3pgD-F/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Credit to the CP Mary Message Board:

Austrian Ambassador Brezovsky:
"Being invited for an exchange of views with H.R.H Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Big honour."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1QVBcOWEAAX7ih.jpg

Thank you! A pitty Joachim & Marie are never present at this smaller new year's reception. They always add a bit of flair IMO - or maybe because Henrik isn't present either the small number of royals is just a sorry change, I don't know.

I hope Mary doesn't alter more of these gowns. The result is never better than the original. Of course it's not ugly, but the gown Makes her look more stern now compared to how it looked in the past: Mary from the start: grey gown1

I'd rather she'd get creative with some of the gowns we haven't seen in a long time, such as these:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pCTCOBkb...9YILTwhB6cwACLcB/s1600/2008-05-30+%282%29.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nkMtCcm4S90/UaG3rY6xPWI/AAAAAAAABw0/vEjsVRxGnqk/s1600/a1.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6wXp6n31w...by+Henrik+Hviid.+Fabric+Salamanca+Market..jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ggeW9-R8MGs/UYTK3WtVQWI/AAAAAAAABcs/8Pv1tFUKoY0/s1600/2004-01-28+b.jpg

:previous: Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

One of the great things about the Diplomatic Court is the diplomats themselves, some turning out in their finest national attire or uniforms.
The main news on TV2 covered the French ambassador, who has (for sad reasons) become very well known here in DK.
He was wearing what looks to me to be an ambassadors uniform.

He was also going to the court in the finest car of the embassy. A very fine car, but alas it broke down and he was almost late. :lol:

But here is a BB gallery: SE BILLEDERNE: De flotte gæster til dronningens nytårskur | BILLED-BLADET

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...r-til-dronningens-nytaarskur#billede-107796-2
This is the American ambassador and his husband. This will be the last court for him as there is a new American administration coming. - He has become pretty close to certainly M&F but also the circle of friends around J&M.

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-til-dronningens-nytaarskur#billede-107796-14
The French ambassador. Perhaps one of our French friends can tell us about his uniform?

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-til-dronningens-nytaarskur#billede-107796-31
IN contrast to Denmark, Sweden and Norway often use national, or regional dress, when going to festive events. This is a beautiful costume, eh?

Last edited:
The American Ambassador

The American Ambassador has a series on Netflix called (surprise!) "I am the Ambassador". It's 6 or 8 1/2 hour episodes, casually filmed, just showing his day to day life, visiting with family, getting married, picnicking in the park...I haven't seen it all, so I don't know if any of the DRF make an appearance.

The American Ambassador has a series on Netflix called (surprise!) "I am the Ambassador". It's 6 or 8 1/2 hour episodes, casually filmed, just showing his day to day life, visiting with family, getting married, picnicking in the park...I haven't seen it all, so I don't know if any of the DRF make an appearance.

They do. Very briefly. In the first episode IIRC.

For those who believe Mary and Frederik are unhappy; Mary is unhappy and lonely etc need to see these pics. You CANNOT fake the body language between Mary and Frederik. They are a unit.

You can also tell Mary has a very loving relationship with her MIL, QMII.

Thanks, Muhler-now I don't have to search through every episode.

I love Mary's re-styled gown! Very pretty and fresh--I still like the original version too. Perhaps she kept the jacket to wear at another appearance. Frederik looked so handsome again. I was impressed at how attentive and helpful they both were to HM--I am sure she still misses sharing these events with Prince Henrik. Cannot wait to see more tomorrow!

Wauw a fabolous color and gown on Mary! (and a quick recycling)
What a King and Queen already.

I wish another good day to our Queen and Crown Prince couple :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom