Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First , Happy new year everyone! :)

any live streaming/coverage for tonight's reception?

Later tonight, and we won't see it. QMII will give a speak thanking her government but also the MPs for their work and on this occasion only QMII, now with Mary and Marie, will curtsy to the guests presents as a sign of respect.
I guess Frederik will bow when his time comes.

(*) Jens is the popular name for the Danish army private. Just like Tommy, Ivan, Fritz and so on.

Thanks. It is a pitty that we never get too see clips from inside like when then Queen will curtesy.

In this interesting Documentary from the 1970's one can she the curtesy of a young Queen Margrethe II.
Søg i Bonanza - dr.dk/Bonanza

if i recall Queen Margrethe said in the documentary about the royal palaces that it was her mother Queen ingrid who started the costume of curtsying to the guests .

First , Happy new year everyone! :)

any live streaming/coverage for tonight's reception?

Here, if you can watch it outside DK: LIVE Følg årets fornemste fest her | Nyheder | DR
coverage outside Amalienborg starts in five minutes after this is posted.

Alternatively try here: http://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/ECE9261949/live-foelg-gaesterne-til-dronningens-nytaarskur/
(Slow to load).

A funny little detail: The guest went up the stairs to the right (for us viewers), while the DRF went left.
As you noticed the Regent Couple went right, when QMII suddenly remembered she was to go up the other stairs. PH continued because there is an elevator to that side, but not the other.

The DRF will gather and greet some of the staff, before lining up to receive the guests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary is wearing the dress she wore in the new portrait that was released last August with her Rubies, of course.

Marie is wearing a new dress (I believe?) with the Floral Tiara, of course.

and Daisy is recycling a blue dress and she's wearing the Pearls.

I love the way the Queen rolls her eyes at herself when she went up the wrong stairs!

Are there any photos of the politicians and other guests? I'm always curious to see who of them is a good dresser... :flowers:

Mary wore Jesper Hovring (dress) & Lasse Spangenberg (cape)
Marie wore Ole Yde.

Mr Ehrenreich, the Court Marshall, was wearing the insignia of a Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau (bestowed on him by King Willem-Alexander, when he made a State Visit to Denmark).

It is practice to wear the highest Order one has, first a home Order, then a foreign Order. The Court Marshall has no Grand-Cross in a Danish Order, so he wears the Dutch sash and breast-star instead.

One can see the same phenomenon at other courts. See the Household of the Dutch King behind him, you can sport three foreign sashes: picture. That is the highest Order they had at that moment.

Last edited:

I'm pleased to see that DM for once wrote an article with hard facts.
It's not that hard to read up a little bit, is it, DM?

A BB gallery: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...doetrene-saa-fantastiske-ud-til-nytaarstaffel

And a video: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/se-video-flot-nytaarstaffel-paa-amalienborg
The first lady to be seen in the vid, is Pia Kjærsgaard, who is Chairman of the Parliament and as such she formally holds the highest position anyone outside the DRF can hold. She outranks the PM.

Observe and admire how Joachim, who is a perfect gentleman, ensured that our Marie stands to his right, as befits someone as precious as his wife. It's in the details.

The man QMII greets when going inside is the head of her staff of adjutants.

Normally the public can get quite close on this evening, almost as close as the press, but for (alas obvious) security reasons they were held further back this year.

Last edited:
Mr Muhler ,
What is the difference between the left stairs the Queen started first and the right stairs the Queen started ? That was really funny . Natural Behaviour among this terrible Protocole.
My best Wishes for 2017 . Warm regards from Maria Olivia from Belgium

Crown Princess has always looked old for her age(I've noticed it almost 7 years ago) but yesterday it was particularly evident.
Princess Marie is right the opposite in this regard.It's hard to believe that she's already 40(unless you're taking a closer look at her)
I've always been pleased with her dresses for this gala in previous years, but this year it was a kind of failure in my opinion.

Last edited:
Mr Muhler ,
What is the difference between the left stairs the Queen started first and the right stairs the Queen started ? That was really funny . Natural Behaviour among this terrible Protocole.
My best Wishes for 2017 . Warm regards from Maria Olivia from Belgium

The first stairs were used by the guests. Upstairs they gather in a hall where they are served a drink and wait until it's their turn to be called in to greet the DRF, before finding their seat at the table.
And since many of them are going to this court for the first time, it's also here the courtiers guide them - and calm them down... Quite a few have premiere nerves!
The DRF also gather upstairs, for a little drink and a toast with their staff. QMII and PH may have met several from their own staff on this first day of the new year, but it's unlikely they have met M&F's staff and the other way around.
That also buys the courtiers time to herd in the guests and get them sorted out in the proper order. :p

This year BTW the taffel (*) = table was postponed for 15 minutes. usually it starts at 19.00.
But this year the PM, for the first time, gave his New Year speech live at 18.00. That meant he needed time for changing his clothes and be driven from the PM's official residence at Marienborg to Amalienborg.
So the taffel started at 19.15.

(*) The word taffel, is derived IIRC from Dutch. It literally means table. In Danish context it has come to mean a grander and festive dinner. I.e. a "nytårstaffel" = New-Year-Table.
The day to day DK word for table is "bord" - or in a festive context "middag" = dinner, alternatively "middagsbord" or "frokostbord" = dinner-table or lunch-table. And thus ends this days DK-lesson. :graduate:

Someone requested a better look at some of the guests. Here you go. Just click on the pics for a better view: Opsang til minister efter 'trusse-kiks' til Dronningens nytårstaffel: 'Det gør man bare ikke!' | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk

I am baffled that DM managed it to miss Queen Margrethe II, Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie in the pictures...:sad:

Crown Princess has always looked old for her age(I've noticed it almost 7 years ago) but yesterday it was particularly evident. [...]

In my opinion this speaks for Mary. No desperate clinging to fading youth but using it to her advantage: she looked every inch a Dame indeed, thanks to her mature appearance.

Muhler how many dinner's/night's are we having? There's the one from day 1, then is day 3 and 4? I can't recall from previous years.

Any photos from the dinner? I would love to see that

Muhler how many dinner's/night's are we having? There's the one from day 1, then is day 3 and 4? I can't recall from previous years.

There are three more courts over two days.
They are more or less standing receptions. The Regent Couple will probably sit down.
With the court for the diplomatic corps being the most spectacular. - Followed by a reception. That takes place tomorrow.

There are three more courts over two days.
They are more or less standing receptions. The Regent Couple will probably sit down.
Prince Henrik is not scheduled to attend.

In my opinion this speaks for Mary. No desperate clinging to fading youth but using it to her advantage: she looked every inch a Dame indeed, thanks to her mature appearance.
A very aging hairdo on her last night.

The parure is two centuries old. The parting hairdo actually comes pretty close to the mode in the post-Napoleontic era. I thought Mary was every inch a serious royal indeed.

Back
Top Bottom