Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary is lovely as always. But I think the upper part night blue velvet comes from another gown she worn years ago, in another New year's reception

:previous: Thank you, Roskilde. :flowers:

And lest anyone should forget, :p Joachim and our Marie were there as well.
Joachim wearing his staff-officer's uniform (as in a commanding officer with a staff. A full colonel being such a creature).

Muller, can you explain why you always refer to Joachim's wife as 'our' Marie, but you never refer to CP Mary this way? I have often wondered...

Oops Muhler! Autocorrect, sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually find it really irritating to read 'our' Marie every time you mention her.

Muller, can you explain why you always refer to Joachim's wife as 'our' Marie, but you never refer to CP Mary this way? I have often wondered...

It started as an internal joke on another forum and I have simply continued it here and now it has become a kind of trademark. :)
It is very much meant as an endearment.

Why I never do something similar in regards to Mary is difficult to explain. It's something to do with the way I regard her. - I would never dream about referring to QMII as Daisy either.

ADDED: Well, Fox. You just have to live with it or put me on ignore.

Well, to be honest I think the feather-things are a bit too much. I prefer the kepi actually.
And the black frills on Frederik new hat doesn't look good either.
But once they take off their hats, it looks better.

Frederik looks fantastic, feather and all ;)
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000Y14lzmpEpo4/fit=1000x750/g=G0000kXB92JKXf3A/RU28392.jpg

The black feathers blend in better than the white ones

Mary looks gorgeous
http://40.media.tumblr.com/854f069d62ff02d029d02d685cfc448c/tumblr_o0amqp8UeE1txjhhdo1_500.jpg

thank you for the links and happy new year:flowers:

Last edited:
Or you could stop using the frase 'our'.

Well, to be honest I think the feather-things are a bit too much. I prefer the kepi actually.

Is the "kepi" the smaller hat that Joachim wore in the past?

Frederik looks fantastic, feather and all ;)
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000Y14lzmpEpo4/fit=1000x750/g=G0000kXB92JKXf3A/RU28392.jpg

The black feathers blend in better than the white ones

Perhaps, but the black frills (ostrich feathers I believe) move in front of his face and that's distracting IMO.
I preferred his old hat only with the kokarde/rosette on the side.

Is the "kepi" the smaller hat that Joachim wore in the past?

It is. :)

Or you could stop using the frase 'our'.

Then you'd have to do a lot more posting and a lot more translating, because my idiosyncrasies helps me to remember putting a healthy distance to what I write.
But of course if there is a general wish for me to drop "our Marie" and similar idiosyncrasies I shall, stop.

Last edited:
Write what you like Muhler. I have enjoyed your posts for years. Very interesting to see how Mary reworks dresses. She has a great seamstress. This dress is super wonderful!!!

Keep using it Muhler as I have always looked at it as a term of endearment. Maybe I'll start using it as well!!!!

Write what you like Muhler. I have enjoyed your posts for years. Very interesting to see how Mary reworks dresses. She has a great seamstress. This dress is super wonderful!!!

I agree I enjoy your posts Muhler. Mary looked lovely.

In the video Mary seems to be wearing a diamond brooch in her hair. I couldnt tell if it was from the ruby set. So pretty.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to open up a controversy. I just wondered why, thank you for explaining, Muhler.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to open up a controversy. I just wondered why, thank you for explaining, Muhler.

You are welcome. :)
No controversy. Just a minor exchange of opinions that ends now, as it is off topic.
PM's are better suited for that topic anyway.

As could be expected, this year it's PH who take center stage in Danish press coverage of the New Year Court. He'd like that I think...:p

And since the usual royal experts the press consults, are just as much in the dark as we are, every move PH made is being analyzed!

Lets have a look at Joachim's new uniform, for the nerds. ;)
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010120.jpg
He was as you know recently promoted to full colonel.
A colonel was (and still is) the commander of a regiment.
Originally the colonel was the one who raised, financed, equipped and formally commanded a regiment. With a lieutenant-colonel as the executive (and professional) commander on a day to day basis.
Later on the colonel became the day to day commander of the regiment, with the lieutenant-colonel being the second-in-command and also in command of the first battalion of usually three battalions. (the third battalion typically being a skeleton-unit) With majors commanding the other two battalions.
Nowadays a colonel is often the highest ranking staff officer (or adjutant) in a general staff, but he can also have a staff of his own, since he can be a commanding officer for a larger unit, or a school.
So that's why Joachim's uniform looks different from previous years.
The buttons are arranged differently, he is no longer wearing the light blue field-trousers (the guardsman in the background wear field-trousers) but he has retained the white infantry stripe. - White for infantry, yellow for cavalry, red for artillery and green (IIRC) for engineers.
The commander needed distinctive headgear for quick identification among a cluster of officers not least by couriers, hence the peculiar hat with feathers.

And this picture illustrates what I mean with the black frills being in front of Frederik's face:
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/873/11/x2048-u/11873854-nytrskur-p-amalienborg.jpg
BTW some Union generals during the American Civil War used hats with similar frills. Probably some Confederate generals as well, but the Confederates were generally less uniformed.
Frederik, until he was promoted to rear admiral recently, held the rank equivalent to full colonel for several years, even though he has always worn the navy gala uniform while holding that rank.
He is now two ranks above Joachim, having jumped the rank of brigadier. So that means a lot more gold on the uniform and a silly hat with black frills. (Guess it keeps flies away... :p).
But he is still a relatively junior admiral, so his hats are going to change in the years to come, as he becomes first a vice admiral and finally full admiral.

Joachim on the other hand will remain a full colonel, as he is an officer of the reserves and not a career officer. So no change there.

- And now it's finally time to go to bed. :sleeping:

My first glimpse of the ensemble Mary wore was a full frontal view with the skirt billowed out and I said, "Wow". Her stylist deserves a big hug. I bet a lot of thought went into this creation as it is made from two previous gowns is it not? The Bambi award blue gown and perhaps a previous court gala gown. Not 100% sure about this tho. Anyway your Crown Princess looks fabulous and makes Fred look good too.

I just had a thought. Knowing how much the Queen loves to design and change things I wonder if she had suggested this look to Mary's stylist. Or had a hand in it in some way. The Queen has designed many of her own gowns apparently.

^^^I prefer both of them with their old style of hats. I'm sorry but both of them look like they're wearing something that a saloon girl would wear in a cheesy Western.

I have to agree, those black feathers look positively funereal but you are right, once the hats are off both he and Joachim look really good.

In the video Mary seems to be wearing a diamond brooch in her hair. I couldnt tell if it was from the ruby set. So pretty.

I saw it, too. :flowers: Very fine. Made sense, and I found myself looking to see something similar on Marie.

Lets have a look at Joachim's new uniform, for the nerds. ;)
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010120.jpg
He was as you know recently promoted to full colonel.
A colonel was (and still is) the commander of a regiment.
Originally the colonel was the one who raised, financed, equipped and formally commanded a regiment. With a lieutenant-colonel as the executive (and professional) commander on a day to day basis.
Later on the colonel became the day to day commander of the regiment, with the lieutenant-colonel being the second-in-command and also in command of the first battalion of usually three battalions. (the third battalion typically being a skeleton-unit) With majors commanding the other two battalions.
Nowadays a colonel is often the highest ranking staff officer (or adjutant) in a general staff, but he can also have a staff of his own, since he can be a commanding officer for a larger unit, or a school.
So that's why Joachim's uniform looks different from previous years.
The buttons are arranged differently, he is no longer wearing the light blue field-trousers (the guardsman in the background wear field-trousers) but he has retained the white infantry stripe. - White for infantry, yellow for cavalry, red for artillery and green (IIRC) for engineers.
The commander needed distinctive headgear for quick identification among a cluster of officers not least by couriers, hence the peculiar hat with feathers.

And this picture illustrates what I mean with the black frills being in front of Frederik's face:
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/873/11/x2048-u/11873854-nytrskur-p-amalienborg.jpg
BTW some Union generals during the American Civil War used hats with similar frills. Probably some Confederate generals as well, but the Confederates were generally less uniformed.
Frederik, until he was promoted to rear admiral recently, held the rank equivalent to full colonel for several years, even though he has always worn the navy gala uniform while holding that rank.
He is now two ranks above Joachim, having jumped the rank of brigadier. So that means a lot more gold on the uniform and a silly hat with black frills. (Guess it keeps flies away... :p).
But he is still a relatively junior admiral, so his hats are going to change in the years to come, as he becomes first a vice admiral and finally full admiral.

Joachim on the other hand will remain a full colonel, as he is an officer of the reserves and not a career officer. So no change there.

- And now it's finally time to go to bed. :sleeping:

Thank you as always for the informative posts.
They can't help the new hats but they can certainly rock them , which they both do.
The side way shots of the hat is much better
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/...kommer_til_nytaarstaflet/polfoto_51813172.jpg
Handsome as always.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016...ary_uniform_and_carried-a-4_1451707536622.jpg

The darker pants really improve Joachim's uniform. So for him no other uniform in years time?

I'm guessing Frederik could use others besides the navy, but imo he is Navy through and through :flowers:

Frederik without the hat ;)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqMtUsAAjolf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqLwUkAElGj-.jpg

The darker pants really improve Joachim's uniform. So for him no other uniform in years time?

I'm guessing Frederik could use others besides the navy, but imo he is Navy through and through :flowers:

Frederik without the hat ;)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqMtUsAAjolf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqLwUkAElGj-.jpg

That's it for Joachim.
Unless QMII or Frederik makes him general a la suite (i.e. without a command, which is what PH and Frederik are) but I don't think that is going to happen.
But if we are to talk about gender equality (eh, PH?) then Mary should be promoted to general a la suite in the Home Guard once she becomes queen. It'll be interesting to see if that happens.

The art of being meaningful without saying anything at all.

Queen Margrethe’s balancing act in the New Year’s Eve speech carries on a strong tradition
Every New Year’s Eve, Danes across the country turn on their televisions at 6pm to watch Queen Margrethe give her annual speech from her office in the Christian IX wing of Amalienborg Palace. At the end of the speech, she looks the nation in the eye and closes with her final line: “God save Denmark.”
Read more: The art of being meaningful without saying anything at all | The Post

I'm intrigued about the weather in Copenhagen. It's the middle of winter there, so why is Marie wearing a sleeveless dress and no wrap?

I think Mary looks wonderful. A few days ago she was wearing a bikini on the beach at Byron Bay, a short distance from where I live, and today she's in Denmark wearing a gloriously regal gown and looking every inch the Crown Princess. Marie looks splendid, too, just very cold.

Frederik and Joaquim look very fine in their uniforms.

Last edited:
:previous: It was fairly mild yesterday evening, some 4 degrees C (39 F) with not that much wind.
But today the temperature has dropped and the wind picked up, so combined with the windchill factor it feels like minus 10-15 degrees C (14-4 F).

But they were only outside for a couple of minutes at most anyway.

I wonder why the Court Marshall, Mr Michael Ehrenreich, wore a Dutch Order when he welcomed the royal guests? Probably Mr Ehrenreich is not so long in office and this is the highest Order he has, so far?

The Court Marshall yesterday

Mr Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish former Chairman of NATO receives the same Order as the Court Marshall wore yesterday: picture (Knight Grand-Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau). Mme Anne Gazeu Secret, Ambassadeur de France, with the same Order, in Denmark: picture.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued about the weather in Copenhagen. It's the middle of winter there, so why is Marie wearing a sleeveless dress and no wrap?
Also she wore sandals instead of court shoes.
I think Marie doesn't feel "family vibes".

It is one of the hottest decembers ever recorded, also in Denmark. It was extremely mild. Here in the Netherlands, not so far from Denmark, we have not had one night with frost. Not one in the whole month of December. That is an unicum.

Add to this: Princess Marie barely walks five metres from the car to the entrance, so what are we talking all about?

The hat of Prince Frederik maybe looks weird but that is because the feathers are black. Prince Henrik with a similar hat

Having feathers or not, and which colour is connected to rank. I was looking for pictures and found these from the Dutch Court but the Danes have the very same tradition with these hats:

- a lower ranked officer: a hat with golden galon but no feathers (picture)
- a senior officer: a hat with golden galon and white feathers (picture)
- a top officer: a hat with golden galon and black feathers (picture)

Back
Top Bottom