Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful videos, Denmark is the perfect back drop for that stately carriage ride. :flowers:

Pictures from todays event. Todays New Year reception is the first time for the Crown Prince couple to attened.
The royals arrived by carriage even though it was snowing a bit

Gallery

Just a minor correction. This was the first time that Crown Princess Mary attended. Crown Prince Frederik has always attended with his parents.:flowers:
If you check back the photos of this thread for the past years, CP Frederik always attended the last New Year's Court.

Hard days for Prince Henrik Senior who is suffering from backache ..

:previous:
Thats possibole why he didn't wear his military uniform.

So Marie and Joachim only participate for one night and that's it?

The ladies and their gowns at the New Year Court banquet were exquisite. CP Frederik, however, looked pale and unwell. Does anyone know why?

The ladies and their gowns at the New Year Court banquet were exquisite. CP Frederik, however, looked pale and unwell. Does anyone know why?

Perhaps he had a hungover if it is the first new year court you think of...

This is always the event I look forward to most. :flowers:
Mary looked great at all 3 events.
I also liked Marie's appearance. She fits so well into her role. I wish she and Joachim would attend more events like this.
Why don't they attend the other new year events?

This is always the event I look forward to most. :flowers:
Mary looked great at all 3 events.
I also liked Marie's appearance. She fits so well into her role. I wish she and Joachim would attend more events like this.
Why don't they attend the other new year events?

By tradition, Prince Joachim has never attended the New Year's Court for Diplomatic Corps on Jan 5 and Grand Court on Jan 6. He has only always attended the New Year's Banquet on Jan 1.

How old was Prince Frederick when he start to be inthis events?

THank you so much, i would love to see a photo him athat age in one of this new hears event!!!

That would be interesting to see old New Year Court photos - perhaps from Frederik's first few years in the late 1980s, or even further back to when Margrethe was young. Does anyone have any like that?

2011 New Year's Court

January 1st, 2011 at 19:00
HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort, HRH the Crown Prince and TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie
attend the Nytårskur and Nytårstaffel at Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg.

January 4th, 2011 at 09:50
HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort and HRH the Crown Prince attend the New Year's Court for the Supreme Court Judges, the Royal Life Guards and the Guard House Regiment at Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg.

at 11:30
HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort and HRH the Crown Prince attend the New Year's Court for the Diplomatic Corps at Christiansborg Palace.

January 5th, 2011 at 09:30
HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort and HRH the Crown Prince attend the New Year's Court for Officers from the Defence and Emergency Management Agency; the First, Second and Third Class Ranks; and invited representatives of major national organisations and royal patronages at Christiansborg Palace.

Press Release from kongehuset.dk

Last edited:
When is Mary due again? I thought she was due in December/January? I am thinking she might not make these New Year plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mary does not attend these events, which sucks for us because I for one would love to see her all dolled up with a huge belly!

When is Mary due again? I thought she was due in December/January? I am thinking she might not make these New Year plans.

I agree Zonk - chances are Mary won't attend the New Years Courts, whether or not she has given birth. IMO, Mary was included in the official press release as an attendee to go along with the "January due date" that is being sprouted as the official due date, to avoid speculation about her due date, why isn't she going to attend, etc. etc.

I can't really see Mary going to the New Years event and i'll miss her display of style. However, if the docs know she'll give birth early which would be November? Maybe we'll see her.

I always enjoy Mary's appearance at the New Year's events, but I worry about whether Mary will be there this year. It's her third (?) pregnancy and its twins so chances are she could deliver early - possible in December. And there is also the possibility of her having a c-section rather than a normal delivery. However it happens, Mary has in the past taken time off from her official duties afterwards like any new mother would take a maternity leave.

Maybe she's included into these plans be cause it can take away pressure from her - people are waiting so much and in November/December they will wait even more! So I'm pretty sure that this can be one reason.

But on the other hand we know that Mary will work until she can and if twins decides to come before New Year Court then Mary just don't attend...

:daneflag: January 2011 :daneflag:

January 1
Christmas and New Year's shed at Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg
Immediately before Nytårstaflet receives Royal Couple government and special guests in cure. HRH Crown Prince and TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie is present.

January 4
New Year Scouring of Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg. The royal couple will receive Supreme Court judges, the Royal Life Guards and Gardehusarregimentet watchkeeping officers cure. HRH Crown Prince is present.

January 5
The royal couple will receive at Christiansborg Castle following the New Year Scouring:
Cl. 09.30 Officers from the Defence and Emergency Management Agency.
Cl. 10.00 I., II. and III. Rank Class.
Cl. 12.00 Invited representatives of major national organizations and royal patronage.
HRH Crown Prince is present.

A minor correction:

Kur = court. (It can also mean a cure, but not in this case). The meaning with the word "kur", (which is very old) is to court the royals. It's not the same as hold a court "holde hof".

So on the 1. January, the the New Year Court and New Year Table.
This is where the government and special guest greet the DRF on the first day of the new year. - It's a tradition going back centuries. (If I remember correctly back to the late 1600's).
It was common back then that the first thing you did in the new year was to visit and greet your extended network. It was simply common curtesy.
A New Year Table is a dinner, but a particularly grand one.

On the 4. January, New Year Court for judges from the Surpreme Court and officers of the watch from the two guards regiments at Amalienborg.

Before noon, the DRF will greet members of the diplomatic corps at Christiansborg Castle (seat of the Parliament). Also a tradition that goes back centuries.

On the 5. January, the DRF will recieve the highest ranking officials, officers from the military and representatives of various organisations at Christiansborg Castle.
When that has ended the Regent Couple will ride in an open carriage from Christiansborg home to Amalienborg. - Again to enable the people to greet the Monarch.

- I see Mary is not listed this year, (no wonder) so our Marie will get all the attention, glitter wise, this year.

ADDED:

Here is a little more background info:

Billede Bladet #9, 2007-03-04.

Q&A – Meget gammel skik – Very old custom.

Q: Can you tell me which King held the first New Year Court”?
Arne Juhl Petersen, Aabenraa.

A: Unfortunately we cannot. When that custom started remains unknown. It’s a very old custom that “the best men of the realm” comes to the king, or as now to the ruling queen to wish a happy New Year. That custom has been inherited from regent to regent through the times. Now there are three New Year Courts. (*) One in the evening on New Years Day before the New Year Table and two more courts in the following week. The participants arrive to the courts according to rank, which divide the individuals into where they are placed according to the occupation. The order of ranks was introduced in 1746 during the absolutism under King Frederik V. The courts have changed a bit since then. Previously it was the regent with spouse along with the heir to the throne when he/she became of legal age. Today it’s the Queen, the Prince Consort, The Crown Prince and the Crown Princess Mary. For many years you were served coffee and cookies while you waited for the audience. You are not served that anymore I’ve been told be a recent participant to an audience. Now it’s water. (**) Mary has her own New Year Court for representatives for the organisations for which she is patron. That is something new. The Crown Princess did that last year, this year and probably will in the future.
Poul Jørgensen.

(*) Four if you include Mary’s.

(**) Water can also include soft drinks, which I believe is the case here. Fizzy drink = sodavand. Water = vand

Last edited:
Why aren't Joachim & Marie ever attending the Jan 4 & 5 events? Is it only the royal couple & crown prince couple? Is it that way by tradition?

Personally, if Mary hasn't gone into labour or had her twins by then, then I guess she will make an appearance.

Why aren't Joachim & Marie ever attending the Jan 4 & 5 events? Is it only the royal couple & crown prince couple? Is it that way by tradition?

Personally, if Mary hasn't gone into labour or had her twins by then, then I guess she will make an appearance.

Yes, it is.

It's also a signal to both the government, high officials and not least the diplomats.
Now there is only one more prince in the DRF.
Beforehand there could be several. But in order not to send out mixed political signals, only the crown prince took part in the following courts.

It's really a pretty straightforward statement: The visitors greet the monarch and the heir. - And just is case anyone should be in doubt, this is the official heir, get it?!?
And there is no anymosity between the monarch and the crown prince, see? Make sure to report that back to your governments! ;)

At the first court, the government greets the entire DRF. At the next two courts, officials and other dignitaries greet and thereby also confirm their affilliation with their monarch - and the heir.
And the diplomats can see for themselves, that the king is not about to be toppled by the crown prince. That the relationship between the crown prince and king is fine, no problems at all.

Nowadays it's simply a charming old tradition.

Last edited:
So on the 1. January, the the New Year Court and New Year Table.
This is where the government and special guest greet the DRF on the first day of the new year. - It's a tradition going back centuries. (If I remember correctly back to the late 1600's).
It was common back then that the first thing you did in the new year was to visit and greet your extended network. It was simply common curtesy.
A New Year Table is a dinner, but a particularly grand one.
Isn´t this the one where they are served the "Rosenborgvin"? :ermm: You know that oooooold oooooold wine that tastes like :eek::eek::eek:

Isn´t this the one where they are served the "Rosenborgvin"? :ermm: You know that oooooold oooooold wine that tastes like :eek::eek::eek:

I believe so.

I understand the wine is drinkable now.

The Rosenborg wine dates back to the 1600's.

I believe so.

I understand the wine is drinkable now.

The Rosenborg wine dates back to the 1600's.
Yes, it is drinkable because they make it thinner (fortynder) with new wine. So there´s next to nothing of the Rosenborgvin in the wine :whistling:

I remember seeing the Rosenborg wine on my trip to Copenhagen in July - I think the oldest barrel was dated 1598. I thought it was so cool that the court still serves it! I passionately hate all wine, but I think it would be so neat to have a chance to drink something so old (even if you only have a tiny drop in your glass)!

Back
Top Bottom