Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a great way to start the New Year, showing Danish hospitality at its very best. Each day brings a different reason and a different style and we get to watch and admire three nights of splendour.

I love that QM's reign has seen the return to gold and silver tableware as it is a nod to Denmark's history and, more importantly, special things are for special people or special occasions.

I also noted that while QM is wearing flat shoes, they are evening shoes and not fur lined boots. Perhaps she has found a healthier work/life balance that does not see her start the year in pain.

The pictures have been great. The Danish always start the New Year elegantly.

That is a great way to start the New Year, showing Danish hospitality at its very best. Each day brings a different reason and a different style and we get to watch and admire three nights of splendour.

I love that QM's reign has seen the return to gold and silver tableware as it is a nod to Denmark's history and, more importantly, special things are for special people or special occasions.

I also noted that while QM is wearing flat shoes, they are evening shoes and not fur lined boots. Perhaps she has found a healthier work/life balance that does not see her start the year in pain.

That's probably a good idea, because her back must often trouble her, even though she as usual sat down, while the diplomats greeted her. And presumably also during most of the other courts.

Today is the Grand New Year Court and as usual the arrival of the guests will be shown live on DR1 from 18.40-20.00 culminating with the arrival of the DRF.

Keep an eye on this live link in about 3½ hours from this is posted: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/20875

Billed Bladet and BT.dk usually also cover it live, so keep an eye for links there as well.
BT.dk in particular for continuously updated photos and videos

This post will be used for running commentaries by me.

The police officers are from the Senior Section. I.e. uniformed police officers who are nearing retirement and a such has light duty like this.

The dress code in regards to dresses are gala uniforms if you have one.
And a long dress. To the ground and which does not leave your shoulders bare.

---------------

The Guardsmen wear Red Gala 1. You can tell by the white cord going from their right shoulder to their bearskin caps - designed to ensure the cap wasn't lost when shot off in battle.

People who wear a uniform will salute the sentries and upon entering the mansion they will remove their headgear. Only officers and soldiers on duty will keep their headgear on inside. That applies to soldiers and officers of the Watch and Honor Guard.

--------------

Once all the guests have arrived, been greeted and have gathered in the dining room, the DRF will proceed in in reverse order of precedence with QMII as the last.
When QMII is in the doorway she will curtsy for Denmark. - That is the only time of the years she does this and it is a sign of respect for the democracy, for the elected representatives of the Danes. hence curtsying for Denmark.

---------------

The politicians do not wear orders. It's a Social Democrat government and out of principle Social Democrat members of a government or who are active in party politics do not wear orders. However, once they retire from active political life some of them wear orders.

-----------------

Now that the PM, Mette Frederiksen, has arrived the DRF will arrive shortly.

The female members of DRF do not agree on who is wearing what colors in advance.

------------------------

This is a watch that is also sought after by the guardsmen.

There are an honor guard inside consisting of a detachment from the Royal Lifeguard Regiment and a detachment from the Guards Hussars.
But the guards detachment on watch have also formed up outside with the larger gala-colour.
The metal-thingies next to the guardsmen outside are fuchettes. Previously this is where the muskets were placed, so that the guardsmen could rush out and grab their weapons - hence the cry: "To arms!"
The reason was practical it's easier to rush out without a two meter long musket with bayonet.

When members of the DRF arrive the fifers and drummers will play the Colour-March - which is also a salute.

----------------

Guests who have special requirements in regards to the dinner, in regards to religion, allergy, vegan or vegetarian, will let it be known in advance and will be served a special menu.

Upon entering the mansion the guest will go the left, and gather upstairs with a wee glass.
The royals go to the right and gather there to a wee glass before meeting their guests.

Notice Joachim. Being a stickler for protocol he an our Marie execute a 180 degree turn on top of the stairs, ensuring his lady is always to his right as befits someone as precious as his wife.
Courtesans and ladies of similar occupation would walk to the left.

--------------

Right now QMII and Frederik are doing the court.
It's all in order of rank.
The Chairman of the Parliament.
Civilian holders of the Order of the Elephant - if there are any.
And the government.
They all line up. The PM wish the DRF a happy New Year on behalf of the government, then each member of the government shakes hands with QMII and Frederik saying Happy New Year Your Majesty/Your Royal Highness.
Then follow the heads of the ministerial departments, the President of the Supreme Court, the chief of police and so on.
After having greeted QMII and Frederik they proceed into the dining room.

And later the DRF will form a procession and walk in with QMII as the last - and that's the start of the taffel (festive table).

Why doesn't the whole of the DRF don't stand there shaking hands you ask?
Because this is an opportunity to personally wish the Monarch a Happy New Year. - Today the Heir is also involved but formally (and traditionally) this is a state affair involving only the Monarch.

-----------------

Now, what do you do if your are wearing long robes and need to - wash your hands?
You don't.

Queen Ingrid gave her daughters the advise of eating a banana in advance...

----------------

QMII's dress was according to commentators new. - We can expect a number of new gowns for all the DRF ladies due to the celebration of QMII's birthday and Christian's confirmation.

-----------

This year Joachim wore the (general) Staff Officers Gala Uniform - it varies in a number of details from the regular (army) uniform he usually wear but I must confess I'm not familiar with the details - The wearers of such a uniform are after all people who fully expect God, Jesus and the archangels to line up on the right on the parade ground!

Last edited:
Looks like Marie is wearing her dress from 2009 again?

Benedikte looks lovely in Purple!

How funny Mary is wearing her red velour dress. I was thinking she might wear that tonight, as it's been a while since she last wore it.

Live Mary’s look tonight — tiara to toe. However, I must say that gown has seen more than 9 lives. It’s certainly a gala workhorse in her wardrobe.

Last edited:

Notice Joachim. Being a stickler for protocol he an our Marie execute a 180 degree turn on top of the stairs, ensuring his lady is always to his right as befits someone as precious as his wife.
Courtesans and ladies of similar occupation would walk to the left.

--------------

Dear Muhler:

How we love and appreciate the knowledge you share with us!

But...does the word “courtesan” have a different meaning in Danish than it does in English? If not, this sounds like a pretty swinging party!:ohmy:

Dear Muhler:

How we love and appreciate the knowledge you share with us!

But...does the word “courtesan” have a different meaning in Danish than it does in English? If not, this sounds like a pretty swinging party!:ohmy:

It means the same. :D

It was merely to illustrate a point. ;)
At times in the past there were subtle ways of signaling the status of a lady. Including which side of a gentleman she walked.
Wives, mother, fiancees and daughters with an impeccable reputation to the right.
Official mistresses and such like to the left - after all many men in the past were married to the left hand. So the move was logic.
It wasn't meant as a stigma as such, but as a signal that here was a woman who had considerable influence - and who mostly enjoyed official rights and protection being an official mistress.

- It's a fascinating topic!

It means the same. :D

It was merely to illustrate a point. ;)
At times in the past there were subtle ways of signaling the status of a lady. Including which side of a gentleman she walked.
Wives, mother, fiancees and daughters with an impeccable reputation to the right.
Official mistresses and such like to the left - after all many men in the past were married to the left hand. So the move was logic.
It wasn't meant as a stigma as such, but as a signal that here was a woman who had considerable influence - and who mostly enjoyed official rights and protection being an official mistress.

- It's a fascinating topic!

Don’t leave me hanging! DID anyone turn to the left tonight?

When QMII is in the doorway she will curtsy for Denmark. - That is the only time of the years she does this and it is a sign of respect for the democracy, for the elected representatives of the Danes. hence curtsying for Denmark.
It's a custom that was introduced by Queen Ingrid and based on the three deep curtsies done by the royal ladies as they entered the Hall of State during the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in her native Sweden. One curtsy each for the two chambers of Parliament and one for the Diplomatic corps. The King in his turn bowed once for the two chambers of Parliament, once for the Diplomatic corps and once for the royal ladies who replied with a curtsy.

There are an honor guard inside consisting of a detachment from the Royal Lifeguard Regiment and a detachment from the Guards Hussars.
Do you know the reason why Crown Prince Frederik didn't great the honor guard. He ordinarily does it a bit reluctantly but not tonight. By the looks of it Crown Princess Mary seemed a bit surprised when he didn't.
Now, what do you do if your are wearing long robes and need to - wash your hands?
You don't.

Queen Ingrid gave her daughters the advise of eating a banana in advance...
A banana because it slows up the digestion?

Last edited:
Ah; I had forgotten it was the New Year Courts again - I always look forward into seeing the DRF in all their finery! Thank you to Muhler and other members who have been covering the event so far ?

Godt nytår!

It's a custom that was introduced by Queen Ingrid and based on the three deep curtsies done by the royal ladies as they entered the Hall of State during the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in her native Sweden. One curtsy each for the two chambers of Parliament and one for the Diplomatic corps. The King in his turn bowed once for the two chambers of Parliament, once for the Diplomatic corps and once for the royal ladies who replied with a curtsy.

Do you know the reason why Crown Prince Frederik didn't great the honor guard. He ordinarily does it a bit reluctantly but not tonight. By the looks of it Crown Princess Mary seemed a bit surprised when he didn't.
A banana because it slows up the digestion?

Thanks, didn't know that. ?
But it's a good idea she brought with her.

As for Frederik. I don't know. Perhaps because QMII was right behind him?

And as for the banana. Not being in the habit of wearing long gowns (can't find any in my size) I plead ignorance. A guess is that bananas lock moisture.

Ladies looking lovely!!!! Love the New Years Court Jewels!!!!

Thanks, didn't know that. ?
But it's a good idea she brought with her.

As for Frederik. I don't know. Perhaps because QMII was right behind him?

And as for the banana. Not being in the habit of wearing long gowns (can't find any in my size) I plead ignorance. A guess is that bananas lock moisture.

:previous: Bananas would also give them a little something in their stomach that wouldn't upset their stomach on an evening when you might not have eaten much all day in order to fit into your gown and you might be enjoying some champagne.?
Again as always you provide us with an excellent summary of the New Year's courts Muhler! Tak!!

:previous: Bananas would also give them a little something in their stomach that wouldn't upset their stomach on an evening when you might not have eaten much all day in order to fit into your gown and you might be enjoying some champagne.[emoji2]
Again as always you provide us with an excellent summary of the New Year's courts Muhler! Tak!!
As Mammy told Scarlet O'Hara a true lady only picks at her food at parties

There is a funny and very old tradition (some 500 years old) at such events with the DRF.
What do you do, when your guests are spread over a number of rooms and there are perhaps a couple of hundreds of them, perhaps more and you want to let them know the party is over?

You call a fifer and a drummer who will march through the rooms playing Tappenstreg = Tappenstreich = The Taps.

In towns where soldiers were billeted all over the place or had to return to camp or the barracks in the evening, it was customary to have a fifer and drummer march through the town playing the Taps.
It was literally the signal to inn owners to hammer in the taps in their beer barrels and for the soldiers to leave or stagger back to bed.

If beers were still served after taps or soldiers had not returned to quarters the Profoss (a kind of head of military police) or the Hurenwebel (in charge of the the baggage train and camp followers - hence the term "bag" for a - ehh - loud woman) would be on them like a ton of bricks!

Today the DRF members follow the fifer and drummer out and the rest of the guests follow once the DRF have left.
It's a festive way of telling even the most absentminded and self-absorbed politician that it's time to go home.

And this is how it works:

As Mammy told Scarlet O'Hara a true lady only picks at her food at parties

That doesn't apply to Social Democrat ministers, they almost lick their plates clean. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All the ladies are very elegante, altough Princess Marie tonight looks stunning.

Back
Top Bottom