Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The New Year's Cour and Dinner

The first one is from Jyllandsposten (credit to Marianne on the Glittering Royal Events Message Board for finding this fantastic close-up & watermark free picture!) and the two others from B.T.

Attachments

• Nytårskur & middag 1 jan 2006_5 (BT).jpg
    Nytårskur & middag 1 jan 2006_5 (BT).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Nytårskur & middag 1 jan 2006_6 (BT).jpg
    Nytårskur & middag 1 jan 2006_6 (BT).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,342
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice dress but the hair looks to matronly for Mary. Alexandra looks dazzling too.

:)

I dont want to say much on mary right now cause we dont have to many good pics. But from what I see she looks so much more older. The dress, the hair everything about her. But its a bit unfair to say right now cause we cant see her that well.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I dont want to say much on mary right now cause we dont have to many good pics. But from what I see she looks so much more older. The dress, the hair everything about her. But its a bit unfair to say right now cause we cant see her that well.

Maybe because of the high neckline and long sleeves? In addition, there was a winter storm in Denmark and possibly Mary chose this style as its warmer? But as you said...larger and clearer pics are needed to judge the dress better!

Mary's gown is old fashioned, but I like it. I actually really liked her hair and how she wore the tiara. It suits the winter wearther in Denmark. All in all, she looks elegant but its an old fashioned kind of elegance.

QM - she's worn this dress a number of times already so cant really say much except that she looks queenly.

I was kinda hoping that Alex would wear that purple gown she has that I love so much (in those potraits taken when Joachim and Alex were still together). I've never seen her wear it and I wish she would. Its good that she wore the red gown again, though i don't really like it. Her make up is much darker and harsher than normal too, and the hair higher and bigger than how she normally wears it. I like it better when Alex when she wears lighter make up.

i think that in addition to the old fashion gown Mary's wearing...i also think that she looks older than she really is in the pics (like in her 40's and 50s) with her hair and tiara and the gown......i think she would look better in another lighter color (e.g., red or sth) ...also her gown would look much better if the neck line is lower....(with some fur coat or sth)

she should wear this gown when she's in great shape...because it really showed....look at this pic:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v478/Leesapics/Nyt-ruby.jpg

Alex look great in that gown...but i was hoping for a new gown that we've never seen before......

the Queen looks elegant ....but...was again...expecting something new!

Last edited:
Mary looked fantastic;) and Alex very elegant with her tiara and Order:):)

alexandra: wonderful! love the color. her tiara has always been one of my faves. she is looking thinner than usual though. i hope she's ok. its just great to see her here.

Mary: great jewelry and her face was radiantly happy. thought the dress was a bit dowdy- reminded me of a house coat.

Margarethe: wonderful as ever. she has more of a flair for the dramatic than any of the other queens. i think its her artistry coming out.

Henrik and Joachim didnt attend the dinner?...no pictures about them yet

Good to see Princess Alexandra again and looking stunning as always!:)
Mary's jewels are breath-taking!

can someone advise the queen to do something for her teeth...they look sooooooooooo HORRIBLE..Although she is a heavy smoker, she has no excuse to let her teeth in such a state given the fact that she has access to the best dentists..they take all the attention from her face, jewellery and so on.:cool:

Citizen2005 said:
can someone advise the queen to do something for her teeth...they look sooooooooooo HORRIBLE..Although she is a heavy smoker, she has no excuse to let her teeth in such a state given the fact that she has access to the best dentists..they take all the attention from her face, jewellery and so on.:cool:

tell me about it! and could that same person please forward the memo to willem-alexander.;)

its a pity, QM2 cuts such a regal figure and she's an awesome queen and it would be so easy to fix those teeth.

Images from seeger

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00153187.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153187.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,888
  • pre-SEEGER00153186.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153186.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • pre-SEEGER00153189.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153189.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,270
  • pre-SEEGER00153190.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153190.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 939
  • pre-SEEGER00153191.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153191.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 719
  • pre-SEEGER00153193.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153193.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 697
  • pre-SEEGER00153192.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153192.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 730
  • pre-SEEGER00153188.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00153188.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:
There is something unidentified with the dress, it seems to me a wrong choice, esp. for Mary as she is so well dressed always.

I think the dress makes Mary look like a queen already, and not just a princess. She looks very very regal.

Just had another look at this picture of Alex:
attachment.php

....and I really don't like her earrings. Its too dark, and her dress and make up is dark too which makes the whole thing altogether too dark. Now if she had worn her gorgeous pearl earrings, it would have been lovely.

Jasl said:
I think the dress makes Mary look like a queen already, and not just a princess. She looks very very regal.
I like Mary's dress too. It's a bit unusual compared to her usual evening wear, but to me it's a real 'kurkjole'; the style reminds me of a yellowish dress made of brocade with fur linings which QMII wore years back. It wouldn't do as an ordinary evening dress, but as a court dress on a dark cold January night in Copenhagen it was just perfect - as is Mary's IMO.

This really looked like a grand and spectacular event. I love the Danish court events - the DRF is my favorite royal family for putting on a grand and regal court.

The gowns look spectacular. I only wish we had more pictures of Mary. The ones so far are so dark and don't really show her gown.

I think from a distance the dress makes Mary look like a portrait of one of the wives of Henry VIII. Not the most flattering of choices.

I think Mary looks very regal. Granted it's not one of the most "stylish" gowns she's worn, but it is very royal looking. Love the sapphire blue too!

Oh, and also...here is a link to a site with some photos I haven't
seen yet...enjoy!

http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all three royal ladies did a splendid job this time! Princess Alexandra just LOOKS so royal with her hair like that and the tiara situationed perfectly. I think CP Mary's dress was pretty - not too old like some people say. It IS winter in Denmark - she should be covered up because it's cold! The color is very nice and the cut is regal. I like how she wore the order around her neck.

Queen Margrethe looks perfect! She always looks exactly as a queen should in gala.

Photos from Face to Face
Princess Mary and Queen

Attachments

• mary1.JPG
    mary1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 709
  • mary2.JPG
    mary2.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 750
  • queen1.JPG
    queen1.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 1,317
  • queen2.JPG
    queen2.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,338
Last edited:
What a horrible dress! Mary looks "like the Queen." Much too old for her age. I love Joachim's ex's dress. She looks amazing. Mary is trying too hard again to look older than she is...not a good choice. Sorry ;-(

Bravo! Mary look wondeful, and totally recoverd from the birth...she is amaizing.
The other ladys are very beutifull to, like always.
thanks to all for the photos.!!

Thanks Marilla for the links. I love the sapphire blue of Mary's dress which these pictures show and the little brooch up top.

It just doesn't seem like a dress Mary would wear, It's exquizite, but leaves me a bit baffled!

I love the color but this dress was not for Mary. It made her look so old and everything about her that night made her seem old. She is a young vibrant princess and should look like one. Even the queen deosnt dress that conservativly. It is a very nice dress but not for mary.

that's the only bad choice for Mary so far from day 1.....what was she thinking??!!

the dress makes her look old......+ the hairdo......even older!!
the jewlery part to me doesn't really match that gown! In addition to that, the dress seems to be too tight for her, you can see strech marks (dunno what u call that) in the waist/cheset area (it's just that the dress is not smooth as it should be)

Crown Princess Mary's dress it's something like one of Margrethe's dresses. That is a nice and cut reagal dress. I think that dress is too serious for a young woman like Mary. It will be better to wear when Mary will be much much older but now it was a wrong choice. She should wore a dress which she wore for a past - this kind of dresses which we know/she wore. Btw Mary looks really wow after a childbirth. Why she doesn't wear a Family Order? The Queen take it for her or Mary doesn'y know where/how to wear it?
Queen Margrethe as always great. I like her dresses but I think that she need few more.
Princess Alexandra very regal and stunning. Old, good Alex.

I would imagine that before any official event, there's some sort of dress code or guidelines at the very least that are issued. Mary's stylists have to choose outfits for her based on those guidelines. And in this case, I'd guess the dress code called for a more formal and traditional gown.

What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom