Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems so. But let's not make it more complicated than we have to, FasterB. ;)
Ahh, complications are always funny :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I suggest the title of this thread should be changed to Danish New Year Courts (Levees): 2004-2012.
So that we all still know what we are talking about.
Splendid idea :clap:
Because I had to look up levee as I've never heard about that word in this context before. :ermm:
I haven´t heard the word before either :google:

Levee is the term used in Canada. Nova Scotia held a New Year's Eve Levee. Maybe its an English or French word.

Last edited:
Can you watch anything?

The coverage has started.

What is happening now is warm up and first guests arriving.
At 18.30 there will be a brief news break, lasting until 18.38.
At 18.50 The DRF is expected to arrive. (They'll probably be a bit late as the politicians can never figure out to move their behinds away from the cameras quick enough).

The PM will give her New Year speech at 19.15, so by then the coverage will end. Period! (I won't watch the speech - bad for my bloodpressure....).

Last edited:
Marie is in a new pink dress

Mary in the same orange dress she has used before

The Queen in her blue dress from last year 40-jubilee

Was she wearing the tiara from Greenland? :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen with the Greenlandic flower tiara. Wonderful, what a way to start the Royal watching year!

Levee is English and means a reception. It comes from the french word lever which means to rise in the morning. A levee is a morning reception at court upon the king's rising from bed. Usually after a king rose there was the first levee - the first morning reception - for the nobility. It is a historical word as you can see.

On a side note: I love Mary in the orange dress.

Last edited:
I like that the Danish Royals kick off the new year in style and in regalia.

This is my very first post so please be gentle with me. Really excited to see the Queen wearing the new Greenland tiara. I am such a fan of your Queen after seeing her BBC interview in praise of our Queen last January. I then watchd the CNN interview and was completely hooked. She came over as an intelligent, lovely and genuine person. I'm trying to save my pennies so I can come over for her birthday celebrations (but it may be 2014 rather than 2013 - Denmark is very expensive!)

Well stated,its always a good start to the Royal Year!

I think it's the best way to bring in the new year. You can't beat starting the year off in style, regalia and an elegant dinner with distinguished guest.

This is my very first post so please be gentle with me. Really excited to see the Queen wearing the new Greenland tiara. I am such a fan of your Queen after seeing her BBC interview in praise of our Queen last January. I then watchd the CNN interview and was completely hooked. She came over as an intelligent, lovely and genuine person. I'm trying to save my pennies so I can come over for her birthday celebrations (but it may be 2014 rather than 2013 - Denmark is very expensive!)

Welcome! I agree, she seems like a very down to earth and warm person.

I was in Copenhagen for HM birthday celebrations last April. Was such a good time - great atmosphere at Amalienborg and lovely, friendly Danes to chat with while waiting for the DRF to appear on the balcony :) I hope to go again this year!!

I think it's the best way to bring in the new year. You can't beat starting the year off in style, regalia and an elegant dinner with distinguished guest.

I might have a toast (or two) to Her Majesty later myself :D

Welcome and hope you enjoy the Danish New Year's Court!

The Danish New Years Courts are the first tiara-alert in the world.

Wonderful look the Danish Royal M-Club!

Welcome! I agree, she seems like a very down to earth and warm person.

I was in Copenhagen for HM birthday celebrations last April. Was such a good time - great atmosphere at Amalienborg and lovely, friendly Danes to chat with while waiting for the DRF to appear on the balcony :) I hope to go again this year!!
Thanks for the welcome - and I think I'm going to have make a visit to Amalienborg my new year resolution. I love the fact that these events are broadcast live (and I can see it in the UK!).

A gallery from BT: Se alle billederne: Her ankommer de royale til nytårstaffel | www.bt.dk

And congratulations on your first post, LibrarianDaisy :flowers:

ADDED:

Let's have a closer look at the pics:
#6 - QMII in her court-dress, as former Master of Ceremonies, Christian Eugen Olsen put it. She is being recieved by the new Master of Ceremonies, in charge of his first New Year Court/levee.

#11 - The man is perhaps worth noting. Nikolai Wammen. Who may very well be the one who will have to rebuild the old Social Democrat Party, after their disastrous defeat at the next election in less than three years from now. I have never ever seen a government that eager not to be reelected as the current one....
#12 - The Chairman of the Parliament, Mogen Lykketoft.
#14 - Minister Morten Bødskov, one of the more capable ministers. I see his arms have grown out of his jacket.
#16 - The real and undisputed prime minister in Denmark, Margrethe Vestager.
#18 - Helle Thorning, The Prime Minister - but only in name.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the gold unusually yellow?

Not to my eyes, might be the lighting. Reminds me severely of the daisy's :flowers:

My favourite event of the year!
I wish Mary had worn a new dress though, I'm starving for fashion!

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the gold unusually yellow?
I think it´s "yellow gold" and not white gold or red gold :flowers:

BTW. the colour looks like the colour of our coins (which the tiara was made of), right? :whistling:

It certainly is a great way to kick off the New Year, with a gala banquet held in candlelight, and especially to see a new tiara on HM. I would love to see photos of the room where the gala is held - bathed in candlelight. It would be so romantic. Thanks to everyone for posting the lovely pics.

Back
Top Bottom