The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I take it you feel the same way about the uniforms worn by the various US Army special ceremonial units. Oh, and the West Point cadets' spring parade uniform: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...int_Cadets.png

These uniforms are all about history and tradition. Let the boys have their fun. If the women are supposed to get all decked out in long dresses of velvet and sparkly fabrics and sequins, and wear pearls and diamonds and other shiny things, surely we can allow the men to wear a few feathers and bits of gold bling and the occasional sword or sabre. Without all these special, shiny, bits, their outfits for these dos would be a lot less interesting.
The uniform is not bad, but Fredrick is too small for the hat, plain and simple. They could modify it for him. The cadets can carry it off. So, can Prince Joachim. Fredrick will be king, he should be seen as regal not with some hat that overrides his face.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Dear Muhler,
I just watched the video of the NY reception: and I have a question as we were talking about those feathered hats.
Joachim didn't take his hat off while viewing the guards while Fred took his hat off. Who was correct?
Thank you.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Joachim.

Danish military personnel always remove their headgear when going inside, except when on active guard duty or as guard commander.
Until relieved by a superior officer (Frederik) Joachim was the senior commander (on behalf of Her Majesty), which is why the honor guard reported to him and he inspected the guards. So he keeps his headgear on until he has finished inspecting the honor guard and only when moving on inside the mansion, after having made sure everything is fine, does he remove his headgear.

Keeping your headgear on inside is a badge of authority.

In other countries the symbol of guard authority is a gorget worn in a chain around the neck and in these countries the headgear is not necessarily worn inside.

Here is such a gorget (that originally was the throat protection on a suit of armor): http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CE35843AE3A010
It was and still is used by the German Feldpolizei hence their older nickname "chain-dogs".

BTW the man receiving the DRF is not the guard commander, he is an adjutant, whose job it is to receive the royals and remind them about inspecting the guard and perhaps convey a last minute message and things like that.
The commander of honor guard is standing on the right flank, next to the fifer and drummer (the signalman) and the colour.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought there was a difference between the army and navy in inspection and rules. I believe someone on this forum brought the clarification, sorry I don't remember who. But I recall there is a distinction in Frederik being in navy and Joachim in army.

Either way thanks for the extra info.
This event is always a great way to start the year, all very regal.
It will be interesting to see the next receptions with Henrik not attending. I believe the Queen goes by carriage ?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Majesty

Not that I know of.

But the navy does have a more laid back approach than the army, which maintains discipline, style and the proper way of doing things.
As for the fly-guys from the air force, well, you can expect anything from them.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The uniform is not bad, but Fredrick is too small for the hat, plain and simple. They could modify it for him. The cadets can carry it off. So, can Prince Joachim. Fredrick will be king, he should be seen as regal not with some hat that overrides his face.
I agree. It seems Frederik's front feathers are in dire need of a trim.

Hmm, I seem to remember that the Navy had an odd habit of removing their headdress when entering a building or ship and paying compliments, sans hat whilst indoors so, if the Danish Navy is the same, then both Joachim and Frederik are both right. But I kind of think someone of a suitable rank would have tapped Fred on the shoulder the first time he did it if he had made a mistake.

Ah, Muhler glad to see the grand old tradition of inter-service rivalry is still alive and kicking and very much an international culture. Go, Air Force!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It seems Queen Margrethe has one female aide-de-camp. Here she poses with her "Adjudantstab": picture. So to see two aides-de-camp from each Armed Forces service, led by a Chef and a deputy.

I have seen female Aides-de-Camp at other Royal Houses as well. See the Netherlands (picture) or the UK, where The Princess Royal herself, having the Gold Stick, is an Aide-de-Camp par excellence... (picture).
Sweden as well. Vic uses military aid-de-camps instead of a LIW.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/icc-cpi/16611686944
crown princess victoria | Sofia's Blog
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Great answers to the very ignorant post about the uniforms. But please...there are women cadets too. US military academies all include women and as of very recently they can now qualify to serve in all military posts, no exceptions.
I am sorry for not mentioning the women, I just did not see any women there in the pictures for that is what I was referring to. I am strongly for all women to be in the service and I do know that Princess Mary has done some of that. What I am not sure of but I do remember somewhere seeing her in fatigues with a rifle in her hands, I think that is right about the rifle.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Joachim.

Danish military personnel always remove their headgear when going inside, except when on active guard duty or as guard commander.
Until relieved by a superior officer (Frederik) Joachim was the senior commander (on behalf of Her Majesty), which is why the honor guard reported to him and he inspected the guards. So he keeps his headgear on until he has finished inspecting the honor guard and only when moving on inside the mansion, after having made sure everything is fine, does he remove his headgear.

Keeping your headgear on inside is a badge of authority.

In other countries the symbol of guard authority is a gorget worn in a chain around the neck and in these countries the headgear is not necessarily worn inside.

Here is such a gorget (that originally was the throat protection on a suit of armor): http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CE35843AE3A010
It was and still is used by the German Feldpolizei hence their older nickname "chain-dogs".

BTW the man receiving the DRF is not the guard commander, he is an adjutant, whose job it is to receive the royals and remind them about inspecting the guard and perhaps convey a last minute message and things like that.
The commander of honor guard is standing on the right flank, next to the fifer and drummer (the signalman) and the colour.
Thank you sir.
I also stumbled with last year's video and Joachim did take his hat off.
Would that be because he has moved up in rank?
and why no one remind Frederick? Interesting!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Frederik strikes me as a man with a highly developed sense of the ridiculous and self deprecating humour, which makes for a lovely person overall, but also makes for someone who always looks vaguely sheepish whenever he's forced into this level of finery. I find it endearing!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie View Post
Thank you sir.
I also stumbled with last year's video and Joachim did take his hat off.
Would that be because he has moved up in rank?
and why no one remind Frederick? Interesting!!!
Old habit I guess.
It's hats off the moment you go inside, so no need to put it back on for what is basically a few seconds of formality.
As long as they at least remember to show respect to the honor guard which is basically what this is.

For that matter Joachim didn't give a proper army salute this year either, with his hand at (the awkward) 90 angle to the wrist.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness

At the end of the day nothing excites a lady more than seeing a man in a good looking Uniform. Be it Police -Fire brigade Armed Forces et al, whatever.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I agree. It seems Frederik's front feathers are in dire need of a trim.

Hmm, I seem to remember that the Navy had an odd habit of removing their headdress when entering a building or ship and paying compliments, sans hat whilst indoors so, if the Danish Navy is the same, then both Joachim and Frederik are both right. But I kind of think someone of a suitable rank would have tapped Fred on the shoulder the first time he did it if he had made a mistake.

Ah, Muhler glad to see the grand old tradition of inter-service rivalry is still alive and kicking and very much an international culture. Go, Air Force!

Thanks. I recalled the difference between Navy and Army.
And I'm sure someone would have corrected him if he was wrong .
And yes it's nice to see the ribbing/joking between military branches .
Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness

I forgot to mention how concerned I was to see the way the steward handled the cutlery and plates in the video. I too was surprised that he wasn't wearing gloves. Have seen other documentaries on the British banquet state room in preparation for a gala dinner and they wore gloves then. Maybe in the Danish video he wasn't the regular chap who did this sort of thing. Who knows with TV videos.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I forgot to mention how concerned I was to see the way the steward handled the cutlery and plates in the video. I too was surprised that he wasn't wearing gloves. Have seen other documentaries on the British banquet state room in preparation for a gala dinner and they wore gloves then. Maybe in the Danish video he wasn't the regular chap who did this sort of thing. Who knows with TV videos.
The only explanation I have is that the footman distrubuted the cutlery and then, at the finishing of the table-decking, all cutlery will be polished in the end. But this still means a quite disturbing and uncareful handling of precious silverware and the risk of damaging vulnerable damast...

Seeing the bātons on the footman's uniform, he is a long and experienced member of staff...

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I had exactly the same though. I've saw places where China/cutlery of much less historical value are handled with gloves and much care. But they must know what they are doing.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love all the pomp and yet its all so silly on some level.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Aristocracy

Silly, how so? I am just trying to understand the term *silly* for this event.
One thing I did and do get out of it and this goes for all countries that keep their own culture and traditions is that this is what is done in this country,Denmark, and it does not reflex what is done in other countries. I think most countries like the US that have an elected government don't understand the traditions and culture of other countries. This event, the uniforms of the men, the women dressed in their glory of gowns, jewels, the livery, the bowing of the head, the people invited, this is all about Denmark and how they do things. This is in their history books just like 4th of July is in our history books for this is our history. The US is a baby country in the scope of things as we can only go back just over 200 years, while Denmark can trace their history back at least a 1,000 years and someone if this is wrong please do correct me. I once read that QM could trace her family back 900 years, that says something and that is incredible. IMO this was not silly, but being someone who enjoys history and anthology, I find this exciting to see the past history and traditions of Denmark still alive and well in today's day and age.......Hope they keep it up for another 1,000 years.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

Well said Snowbirds.. denigrating other nations DEEPLY HELD traditions is in very poor taste IMO.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
He was in fact very much the regular chap. He's the one responsible for setting the tables.
I'm sure he washes his hands so that not my major concern, but how about fingerprints?

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals