The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A video showing how the table is set for this the grandest gala of the year: VIDEO: Et nytårstaffel bliver til | Kongehuset - Forside

It also provides a look into the beautiful room, the Knights (Great) Hall.

And from Hello: Princess Mary of Denmark stuns at New Year's Eve celebrations
What a delight to view this video of the preparations of the dining room, I had to watch it 3 times for it took my breath away how the table was set-up, the beautiful white damask tablecloth, the candles, the chargers, the silverware, the entire room was gorgeous. I hope you realize Muhler that this video was pure joy for me, if those walls could talk, the history books would be filled with hidden secrets and delights..........You just made my day with this link. Thank you so very much....

Old 01-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks GomdNatt for your answer.
A big thank you to Muhler for the link on the Knights Hall. I am extremely pleased they had done a video of the preparation of the room. Eating by candlelight must create a lovely atmosphere.
A beautiful room should be used for beautiful occasions. Yes!

Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

And another thanks from me, Muhler, for sharing the video with us.
It was interesting to see how the banquet is set up. Amalienborg looks like a beautiful palace. I can imagine that against the candlelight, dinners are a magical and (please excuse me for sounding a bit cliché!) fairytale-like.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
Re Frederik's and Joachim's hats: in the case of Frederik's hat, the feather trim is too big. It would look better if it were scaled back a bit. I wonder what the children thought when he showed them - there may have been some giggles. As for Joachim, the plume is very striking, but the hat would, IMO, look just as good without it. The uniforms themselves, though, are impressive.
The hats both look ridiculous. Toy soldiers, every year. Time to look more sensible.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
@thanks Grevinnan
Back to topic. If I remember well the new year events for DRF includes three white tie events. What about the other two? When will they take place?
The other two Courts are on January 5th and January 6th this year.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Muhler for the video, I came across with the video last year and I think it is incredible and inspiring, we can learn really good how to put a proper table and of course we can get our own cration following their steps! very magical indeed!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The hats both look ridiculous. Toy soldiers, every year. Time to look more sensible.
I take it you feel the same way about the uniforms worn by the various US Army special ceremonial units. Oh, and the West Point cadets' spring parade uniform: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...int_Cadets.png

These uniforms are all about history and tradition. Let the boys have their fun. If the women are supposed to get all decked out in long dresses of velvet and sparkly fabrics and sequins, and wear pearls and diamonds and other shiny things, surely we can allow the men to wear a few feathers and bits of gold bling and the occasional sword or sabre. Without all these special, shiny, bits, their outfits for these dos would be a lot less interesting.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Wow what an insulting comment. I'm 100% sure they did not design the uniforms themselves.
They follow protocol and wear with dignity the highest uniform they are allowed to. It's not like they just go to the costume store. These are the uniforms from their country from the branch of the military they have done their training in.
Joachim is army, Frederik has done more training in all branches but the most in the navy.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I take it you feel the same way about the uniforms worn by the various US Army special ceremonial units. Oh, and the West Point cadets' spring parade uniform: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...int_Cadets.png

These uniforms are all about history and tradition. Let the boys have their fun. If the women are supposed to get all decked out in long dresses of velvet and sparkly fabrics and sequins, and wear pearls and diamonds and other shiny things, surely we can allow the men to wear a few feathers and bits of gold bling and the occasional sword or sabre. Without all these special, shiny, bits, their outfits for these dos would be a lot less interesting.

So very well said, Roslyn, and these uniforms are part of their heritage and history and they look grand to me. I hope that Denmark never changes to the present times of modern and contemporary for then they would lose their history in a sense. Seeing how the men dress, the women with all their finery and the beautiful palace there everything has taken place will do down in the books of Denmark for all times. The gentlemen look dashing and very regal. Hope to see more it on the 5th and 6th.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
The other two Courts are on January 5th and January 6th this year.
Three actually.
Two courts on the 5th, one at Amalienborg and one at Christiansborg.
And then the third on the 6th at Christiansborg.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness

I much prefer these royal men in historical uniforms that have meaning to them and others in the armed forces. And is much better to look at then a boring old black suit, no matter which designer might make it. It is after all only on a few occasions they are worn. I would hate for modern progressive Denmark to deny its rich heritage by going all modern and resorting to just Black suit and tie. There are occasions when Prince Charles and other Royals dress in historial garb, like The Order of the Bath I think it is. Velvet capes and feathers in hats etc.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
What a delight to view this video of the preparations of the dining room, I had to watch it 3 times for it took my breath away how the table was set-up, the beautiful white damask tablecloth, the candles, the chargers, the silverware, the entire room was gorgeous. I hope you realize Muhler that this video was pure joy for me, if those walls could talk, the history books would be filled with hidden secrets and delights..........You just made my day with this link. Thank you so very much....
The only serious problem I have, and I have already seen it in other Danish documentaries: the clumsy way in which the cutlery is "thrown" on the table and laid with ungloved hands. Unforgiveable! Cutlery is something a guest takes in his/her mouth. Silver cutlery needs polishing and should shine spotlessly. It is beyond belief that the staff does not wear special gloves to lay the porcelain and the cutlery.

Cutlery touched with hands Mr Carson (the Butler from Downton Abbey) would have fired that member of staff immediately! Look how that fork is "thrown" on the table, with the risk to damage the damast!

Porcelain and cutlery how it should be This was a reconstruction of the table laid for the visit of Prince Albert II of Monaco to Het Loo Palace in the Netherlands (Christmas exhibition 2015).

The Danish servant grabbed the cutlery and "threw" it on table for furtherer distribution. The Dutch servant hold the knives in a "fan" in his right hand, to minimize scratches when the table is laid. This is how it is learned in every top-restaurant. Silver is expensive, historic silver from the 18th C is arch-expensive. Be careful please.... It are historic family heirlooms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I much prefer these royal men in historical uniforms that have meaning to them and others in the armed forces. And is much better to look at then a boring old black suit, no matter which designer might make it. It is after all only on a few occasions they are worn. I would hate for modern progressive Denmark to deny its rich heritage by going all modern and resorting to just Black suit and tie. There are occasions when Prince Charles and other Royals dress in historial garb, like The Order of the Bath I think it is. Velvet capes and feathers in hats etc.
The old and eh... quite corpulent Prince-Consort looks eh... ridiculous in a military uniform, in my personal opinion. In 2016, with cruise missiles, stealth technology and digital warfare, still wearing plums on the head while lever have played any active role in the Danish military?

Prins Henrik in uniform

Prins Henrik in white tie
(inclusive velvet loafers embroidered with a crowned H !)
Old 01-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I also completely agree with you, this is one of the few countries IMO that keeps it's ancient royal heritage and traditions alive to this day. It make Denmark for me a special place and I hope it never changes. I love see the men in their uniforms and even the men in their uniforms that work behind the scenes, the guards at the doors, the men that greet them when they arrive, all the footmen and livery, that is what makes these times so special when it is in keeping with Denmark's heritage. I so look forward to this event each year to see all the pageantry that takes place.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The only serious problem I have, and I have already seen it in other Danish documentaries: the clumsy way in which the cutlery is "thrown" on the table and laid with ungloved hands. Unforgiveable! Cutlery is something a guest takes in his/her mouth. Silver cutlery needs polishing and should shine spotlessly. It is beyond belief that the staff does not wear special gloves to lay the porcelain and the cutlery.

Cutlery touched with hands Mr Carson (the Butler from Downton Abbey) would have fired that member of staff immediately! Look how that fork is "thrown" on the table, with the risk to damage the damast!

Porcelain and cutlery how it should be This was a reconstruction of the table laid for the visit of Prince Albert II of Monaco to Het Loo Palace in the Netherlands (Christmas exhibition 2015).

The Danish servant grabbed the cutlery and "threw" it on table for furtherer distribution. The Dutch servant hold the knives in a "fan" in his right hand, to minimize scratches when the table is laid. Silver is expensive, historic silver from the 18th C is arch-expensive. Be careful please.... It are historic family heirlooms!

I do understand completely where you are coming from Duc et Pair, I have seen various TV shows about how on Downton Abby they place the silverware and the fine china, set the table even for just everyday use let alone big dinners with guests, and yes it was a bit sloppy when done on the video yet I did very much enjoy the video. I love seeing how the table was set up, how everything is measured and placed on the table. I love fine white damask tablecloths with a passion and I have been know to ask for pure white cotton napkins at restaurants for that is a pet peeve with me, and sometimes I have taken my own to restaurants, and I love fine china and even collect certain companies that are favorites of mine.

I think that with the way *modern times* has seemed to take over in just about every aspect of our daily lives that the majority of the people forget about such things as table manners, how to set a table, let alone actually cook a real meal instead of fast food, and that to me is sad in losing those traditions. So maybe someone could ask/tell the royal family to get the butler to better train the staff to do it the proper way. I am all for doing it the traditional way and as such I am all for the princes in their fine uniforms with the feathers on the hats and the gold embellishments that say what rank they are in what service to their country. And of course the ladies in all their gowns and jewels and tiaras and the queen there the best of them all. As you can guess I am a monarchist and not a republican which is a word I don't like.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I also completely agree with you, this is one of the few countries IMO that keeps it's ancient royal heritage and traditions alive to this day. It make Denmark for me a special place and I hope it never changes. I love see the men in their uniforms and even the men in their uniforms that work behind the scenes, the guards at the doors, the men that greet them when they arrive, all the footmen and livery, that is what makes these times so special when it is in keeping with Denmark's heritage. I so look forward to this event each year to see all the pageantry that takes place.
In most countries, also republics and also in the United States of America there is such pageantry. When you look at a full-blown white-tie State Banquet in the White House, you will see a LOT of ceremonial uniforms too.

Banquet in the Palais de l'Élysée

The President of Italy flanked with two footmen of his Household.

Splendidly uniformed footmen at the Palazzo Chigi
(residence of the Italian PM)

Old 01-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
In most countries, also republics and also in the United States of America there is such pageantry. When you look at a full-blown white-tie State Banquet in the White House, you will see a LOT of ceremonial uniforms too.

Banquet in the Palais de l'Élysée

The President of Italy flanked with two footmen of his Household.

Splendidly uniformed footmen at the Palazzo Chigi
(residence of the Italian PM)

Indeed. Guards units in older uniforms and ceremonies are (fortunately) in again.
There is nothing as boring as seeing guards in modern uniforms.

For uniform nerds like me, seeing a guard in a historical uniform is like reading an open book. Pure pleasure!

And I agree with you, I too was somewhat dismayed at seeing the cutlery and plates handled with the bare hands and I wouldn't dream about tossing our own finer china and cutlery across the table. (Celebrated our copper anniversary a few years back and got the traditional twelve sets of plates and forks. So now we are - almost - ready for the silver anniversary. )

And you are welcome, ladies.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I enjoyed it very much and found the simple act of laying out the tablecloths to be very interesting. Folded over large pieces of cardboard/foam in order to neatly lay out the fabric.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Dear Grevinnan I don't know where you come from. I come from Greece and here with 5 degrees everyone, old and young people wear pullovers, jackets and gloves, sometimes also wool hats.
I grew up in Sweden, still spend lots of time there in summers as in winters, and while in California spend time in the Sierra Nevada where snow depth can be as much as three to four meters and temperature mostly are below zero (C) both day and night.

Quote:
So very well said, Roslyn, and these uniforms are part of their heritage and history and they look grand to me. I hope that Denmark never changes to the present times of modern and contemporary for then they would lose their history in a sense. Seeing how the men dress, the women with all their finery and the beautiful palace there everything has taken place will do down in the books of Denmark for all times. The gentlemen look dashing and very regal. Hope to see more it on the 5th and 6th.
Great answers to the very ignorant post about the uniforms. But please...there are women cadets too. US military academies all include women and as of very recently they can now qualify to serve in all military posts, no exceptions.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Great answers to the very ignorant post about the uniforms. But please...there are women cadets too. US military academies all include women and as of very recently they can now qualify to serve in all military posts, no exceptions.
It seems Queen Margrethe has one female aide-de-camp. Here she poses with her "Adjudantstab": picture. So to see two aides-de-camp from each Armed Forces service, led by a Chef and a deputy.

I have seen female Aides-de-Camp at other Royal Houses as well. See the Netherlands (picture) or the UK, where The Princess Royal herself, having the Gold Stick, is an Aide-de-Camp par excellence... (picture).
Old 01-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
It seems Queen Margrethe has one female aide-de-camp. Here she poses with her "Adjudantstab": picture. So to see two aides-de-camp from each Armed Forces service, led by a Chef and a deputy.

I have seen female Aides-de-Camp at other Royal Houses as well. See the Netherlands (picture) or the UK, where The Princess Royal herself, having the Gold Stick, is an Aide-de-Camp par excellence... (picture).
That's the first female adjutant I have seen.

The Queen's Staff of Adjutant are also used by the rest of the DRF. So M&F and J&M do not have a particular adjutant attached, that depends on who is available.

Just like the LiWs, the adjutants dine with the Regent Couple when on travels or at Chateau Cayz.

Adjutants, just like serving officers of Guards Battalion of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are also supposed to have a presentable spouse as they are sometimes required to dine at gala dinners or simply to fill a seat that is vacant due to some excusing themselves from a dinner because of say illness.

In contrast to other monarchies the Danish adjutants or not transferred for a period from their parent unit, they apply for the position as adjutants and many stay for quite a few years in that position.
And for some it's a cozy little posting before retirement. - Others, who are younger, may see this as an opportunity to have a future career within the court as say Master of Ceremonies.

And my dear Duc et Pair, not a stick! A baton. - Otherwise an aide de camp might be tempted to brake his/her baton on your head to demonstrate that it is certainly not a stick.

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals