The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Heir Apparent

The art of being meaningful without saying anything at all.

Queen Margrethe’s balancing act in the New Year’s Eve speech carries on a strong tradition
Quote:
Every New Year’s Eve, Danes across the country turn on their televisions at 6pm to watch Queen Margrethe give her annual speech from her office in the Christian IX wing of Amalienborg Palace. At the end of the speech, she looks the nation in the eye and closes with her final line: “God save Denmark.”
Read more: The art of being meaningful without saying anything at all | The Post

Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm intrigued about the weather in Copenhagen. It's the middle of winter there, so why is Marie wearing a sleeveless dress and no wrap?

I think Mary looks wonderful. A few days ago she was wearing a bikini on the beach at Byron Bay, a short distance from where I live, and today she's in Denmark wearing a gloriously regal gown and looking every inch the Crown Princess. Marie looks splendid, too, just very cold.

Frederik and Joaquim look very fine in their uniforms.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Majesty

It was fairly mild yesterday evening, some 4 degrees C (39 F) with not that much wind.
But today the temperature has dropped and the wind picked up, so combined with the windchill factor it feels like minus 10-15 degrees C (14-4 F).

But they were only outside for a couple of minutes at most anyway.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder why the Court Marshall, Mr Michael Ehrenreich, wore a Dutch Order when he welcomed the royal guests? Probably Mr Ehrenreich is not so long in office and this is the highest Order he has, so far?

The Court Marshall yesterday

Mr Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish former Chairman of NATO receives the same Order as the Court Marshall wore yesterday: picture (Knight Grand-Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau). Mme Anne Gazeu Secret, Ambassadeur de France, with the same Order, in Denmark: picture.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm intrigued about the weather in Copenhagen. It's the middle of winter there, so why is Marie wearing a sleeveless dress and no wrap?
Also she wore sandals instead of court shoes.
I think Marie doesn't feel "family vibes".
Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

It is one of the hottest decembers ever recorded, also in Denmark. It was extremely mild. Here in the Netherlands, not so far from Denmark, we have not had one night with frost. Not one in the whole month of December. That is an unicum.

Add to this: Princess Marie barely walks five metres from the car to the entrance, so what are we talking all about?

The hat of Prince Frederik maybe looks weird but that is because the feathers are black. Prince Henrik with a similar hat

Having feathers or not, and which colour is connected to rank. I was looking for pictures and found these from the Dutch Court but the Danes have the very same tradition with these hats:

- a lower ranked officer: a hat with golden galon but no feathers (picture)
- a senior officer: a hat with golden galon and white feathers (picture)
- a top officer: a hat with golden galon and black feathers (picture)

Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Nobility

PPE Agency
Robin Utrecht | Photoshelter
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Was this Event Prince Henrik's Farewell ??
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The hat of Prince Frederik maybe looks weird but that is because the feathers are black. Prince Henrik with a similar hat

Having feathers or not, and which colour is connected to rank. I was looking for pictures and found these from the Dutch Court but the Danes have the very same tradition with these hats:

- a lower ranked officer: a hat with golden galon but no feathers (picture)
- a senior officer: a hat with golden galon and white feathers (picture)
- a top officer: a hat with golden galon and black feathers (picture)

Do all your posts have references to the dutch situation?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Was this Event Prince Henrik's Farewell ??
Not officially.

But it's an example of the few event he is going (or is supposed) to attend in the future. I.e. he will make an appearance when the really big show is on.

I guess we can expect to see him on the balcony at QMII's birthday and at the gala dinner at state visits and presumably at the yearly summer photo shoot. - That is, if he is up to it...

A video showing how the table is set for this the grandest gala of the year: VIDEO: Et nytårstaffel bliver til | Kongehuset - Forside

It also provides a look into the beautiful room, the Knights (Great) Hall.

And from Hello: Princess Mary of Denmark stuns at New Year's Eve celebrations
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Nobility

Re Frederik's and Joachim's hats: in the case of Frederik's hat, the feather trim is too big. It would look better if it were scaled back a bit. I wonder what the children thought when he showed them - there may have been some giggles. As for Joachim, the plume is very striking, but the hat would, IMO, look just as good without it. The uniforms themselves, though, are impressive.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Do all your posts have references to the dutch situation?

There are only a handful of monarchies and the Dutch and Danish one have the best photo-sources. Norway does not know this sort of uniforms, Sweden has a total different, more Germanic-style uniform culture and so yes... you will find a surprising lot of similarities between the Courts of the Netherlands and Denmark. Even comparisons with Luxembourg and Belgium fail as these do not have such a detailed and traditional Household structure, complete with Royal Stables, as the other monarchies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A video showing how the table is set for this the grandest gala of the year: VIDEO: Et nytårstaffel bliver til | Kongehuset - Forside

It also provides a look into the beautiful room, the Knights (Great) Hall.

[...]
Amazingly beautiful. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is one of the hottest decembers ever recorded, also in Denmark. It was extremely mild. Here in the Netherlands, not so far from Denmark, we have not had one night with frost. Not one in the whole month of December. That is an unicum.

Add to this: Princess Marie barely walks five metres from the car to the entrance, so what are we talking all about?
5 degrees are cold enough to catch a pneumonia, even if you are walking only 5 metres
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I was wondering the same! Just I would think beside the cold the wrap would be a more completely look! I have a friend from Denmark here for Xmas and New Year and she told me that it is very little what they walk and there are so much lights that , the lights warm the area they walk! I don't know but even if it is a few meters the way Marie was it is enough to catch a cold!
Old 01-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

They don't just walk. They stop at the entrance for pics, and this takes a while. Out of the cold risk I found this kind outfit quite "unfinished" An elegant wrap could be a nice finition to the outfit.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Mary is lovely as always. But I think the upper part night blue velvet comes from another gown she worn years ago, in another New year's reception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
My first glimpse of the ensemble Mary wore was a full frontal view with the skirt billowed out and I said, "Wow". Her stylist deserves a big hug. I bet a lot of thought went into this creation as it is made from two previous gowns is it not? The Bambi award blue gown and perhaps a previous court gala gown. Not 100% sure about this tho. Anyway your Crown Princess looks fabulous and makes Fred look good too.

I just had a thought. Knowing how much the Queen loves to design and change things I wonder if she had suggested this look to Mary's stylist. Or had a hand in it in some way. The Queen has designed many of her own gowns apparently.
I don't believe the top comes from any previous outfit of hers. The design at the waist is similar to her reworked red velvet gown, but obviously not it. She has a velour cape, but it is a purple, not blue. Plus far too small to put towards this top.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
5 degrees are cold enough to catch a pneumonia, even if you are walking only 5 metres
One does not "catch" pneumonia from cold weather and especially not from 5 degree weather. At that temperature most kids will not even wear a jacket. If it was so easy to get sick from cold the entire population from the Nordic countries would all be dead by now.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
One does not "catch" pneumonia from cold weather and especially not from 5 degree weather. At that temperature most kids will not even wear a jacket. If it was so easy to get sick from cold the entire population from the Nordic countries would all be dead by now.
Dear Grevinnan I don't know where you come from. I come from Greece and here with 5 degrees everyone, old and young people wear pullovers, jackets and gloves, sometimes also wool hats.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I come from Greece and here with 5 degrees everyone, old and young people wear pullovers, jackets and gloves, sometimes also wool hats.
This is very OT, but yes you would, in Greece. Where I live, in on of the Nordic countries, 5 degrees in January is considered a very warm winter day.

We are actually expecting temperatures of -30 to -40....
I guess I'll have to find my only wool hat somewhere.

And, now back to topic.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

@thanks Grevinnan
Back to topic. If I remember well the new year events for DRF includes three white tie events. What about the other two? When will they take place?

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals