The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Commoner

I actually find it really irritating to read 'our' Marie every time you mention her.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia View Post
Muller, can you explain why you always refer to Joachim's wife as 'our' Marie, but you never refer to CP Mary this way? I have often wondered...
It started as an internal joke on another forum and I have simply continued it here and now it has become a kind of trademark.
It is very much meant as an endearment.

Why I never do something similar in regards to Mary is difficult to explain. It's something to do with the way I regard her. - I would never dream about referring to QMII as Daisy either.

ADDED: Well, Fox. You just have to live with it or put me on ignore.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well, to be honest I think the feather-things are a bit too much. I prefer the kepi actually.
And the black frills on Frederik new hat doesn't look good either.
But once they take off their hats, it looks better.
Frederik looks fantastic, feather and all
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...3A/RU28392.jpg

The black feathers blend in better than the white ones

Mary looks gorgeous
http://40.media.tumblr.com/854f069d6...jhhdo1_500.jpg

thank you for the links and happy new year
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Commoner

Or you could stop using the frase 'our'.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, to be honest I think the feather-things are a bit too much. I prefer the kepi actually.
Is the "kepi" the smaller hat that Joachim wore in the past?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Frederik looks fantastic, feather and all
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...3A/RU28392.jpg

The black feathers blend in better than the white ones
Perhaps, but the black frills (ostrich feathers I believe) move in front of his face and that's distracting IMO.
I preferred his old hat only with the kokarde/rosette on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Is the "kepi" the smaller hat that Joachim wore in the past?
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Or you could stop using the frase 'our'.
Then you'd have to do a lot more posting and a lot more translating, because my idiosyncrasies helps me to remember putting a healthy distance to what I write.
But of course if there is a general wish for me to drop "our Marie" and similar idiosyncrasies I shall, stop.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Write what you like Muhler. I have enjoyed your posts for years. Very interesting to see how Mary reworks dresses. She has a great seamstress. This dress is super wonderful!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Nobility

Keep using it Muhler as I have always looked at it as a term of endearment. Maybe I'll start using it as well!!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Write what you like Muhler. I have enjoyed your posts for years. Very interesting to see how Mary reworks dresses. She has a great seamstress. This dress is super wonderful!!!
I agree I enjoy your posts Muhler. Mary looked lovely.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the video Mary seems to be wearing a diamond brooch in her hair. I couldnt tell if it was from the ruby set. So pretty.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Commoner

Oh dear, I didn't mean to open up a controversy. I just wondered why, thank you for explaining, Muhler.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia View Post
Oh dear, I didn't mean to open up a controversy. I just wondered why, thank you for explaining, Muhler.

You are welcome.
No controversy. Just a minor exchange of opinions that ends now, as it is off topic.
PM's are better suited for that topic anyway.

As could be expected, this year it's PH who take center stage in Danish press coverage of the New Year Court. He'd like that I think...

And since the usual royal experts the press consults, are just as much in the dark as we are, every move PH made is being analyzed!

Lets have a look at Joachim's new uniform, for the nerds.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010120.jpg
He was as you know recently promoted to full colonel.
A colonel was (and still is) the commander of a regiment.
Originally the colonel was the one who raised, financed, equipped and formally commanded a regiment. With a lieutenant-colonel as the executive (and professional) commander on a day to day basis.
Later on the colonel became the day to day commander of the regiment, with the lieutenant-colonel being the second-in-command and also in command of the first battalion of usually three battalions. (the third battalion typically being a skeleton-unit) With majors commanding the other two battalions.
Nowadays a colonel is often the highest ranking staff officer (or adjutant) in a general staff, but he can also have a staff of his own, since he can be a commanding officer for a larger unit, or a school.
So that's why Joachim's uniform looks different from previous years.
The buttons are arranged differently, he is no longer wearing the light blue field-trousers (the guardsman in the background wear field-trousers) but he has retained the white infantry stripe. - White for infantry, yellow for cavalry, red for artillery and green (IIRC) for engineers.
The commander needed distinctive headgear for quick identification among a cluster of officers not least by couriers, hence the peculiar hat with feathers.

And this picture illustrates what I mean with the black frills being in front of Frederik's face:
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/873/11/...malienborg.jpg
BTW some Union generals during the American Civil War used hats with similar frills. Probably some Confederate generals as well, but the Confederates were generally less uniformed.
Frederik, until he was promoted to rear admiral recently, held the rank equivalent to full colonel for several years, even though he has always worn the navy gala uniform while holding that rank.
He is now two ranks above Joachim, having jumped the rank of brigadier. So that means a lot more gold on the uniform and a silly hat with black frills. (Guess it keeps flies away... ).
But he is still a relatively junior admiral, so his hats are going to change in the years to come, as he becomes first a vice admiral and finally full admiral.

Joachim on the other hand will remain a full colonel, as he is an officer of the reserves and not a career officer. So no change there.

- And now it's finally time to go to bed.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

My first glimpse of the ensemble Mary wore was a full frontal view with the skirt billowed out and I said, "Wow". Her stylist deserves a big hug. I bet a lot of thought went into this creation as it is made from two previous gowns is it not? The Bambi award blue gown and perhaps a previous court gala gown. Not 100% sure about this tho. Anyway your Crown Princess looks fabulous and makes Fred look good too.

I just had a thought. Knowing how much the Queen loves to design and change things I wonder if she had suggested this look to Mary's stylist. Or had a hand in it in some way. The Queen has designed many of her own gowns apparently.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^I prefer both of them with their old style of hats. I'm sorry but both of them look like they're wearing something that a saloon girl would wear in a cheesy Western.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I have to agree, those black feathers look positively funereal but you are right, once the hats are off both he and Joachim look really good.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
In the video Mary seems to be wearing a diamond brooch in her hair. I couldnt tell if it was from the ruby set. So pretty.
I saw it, too. Very fine. Made sense, and I found myself looking to see something similar on Marie.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Princess Mary of Denmark celebrates New Year at Copenhagen palace's annual banquet | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Lets have a look at Joachim's new uniform, for the nerds.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2016/PPE16010120.jpg
He was as you know recently promoted to full colonel.
A colonel was (and still is) the commander of a regiment.
Originally the colonel was the one who raised, financed, equipped and formally commanded a regiment. With a lieutenant-colonel as the executive (and professional) commander on a day to day basis.
Later on the colonel became the day to day commander of the regiment, with the lieutenant-colonel being the second-in-command and also in command of the first battalion of usually three battalions. (the third battalion typically being a skeleton-unit) With majors commanding the other two battalions.
Nowadays a colonel is often the highest ranking staff officer (or adjutant) in a general staff, but he can also have a staff of his own, since he can be a commanding officer for a larger unit, or a school.
So that's why Joachim's uniform looks different from previous years.
The buttons are arranged differently, he is no longer wearing the light blue field-trousers (the guardsman in the background wear field-trousers) but he has retained the white infantry stripe. - White for infantry, yellow for cavalry, red for artillery and green (IIRC) for engineers.
The commander needed distinctive headgear for quick identification among a cluster of officers not least by couriers, hence the peculiar hat with feathers.

And this picture illustrates what I mean with the black frills being in front of Frederik's face:
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/873/11/...malienborg.jpg
BTW some Union generals during the American Civil War used hats with similar frills. Probably some Confederate generals as well, but the Confederates were generally less uniformed.
Frederik, until he was promoted to rear admiral recently, held the rank equivalent to full colonel for several years, even though he has always worn the navy gala uniform while holding that rank.
He is now two ranks above Joachim, having jumped the rank of brigadier. So that means a lot more gold on the uniform and a silly hat with black frills. (Guess it keeps flies away... ).
But he is still a relatively junior admiral, so his hats are going to change in the years to come, as he becomes first a vice admiral and finally full admiral.

Joachim on the other hand will remain a full colonel, as he is an officer of the reserves and not a career officer. So no change there.

- And now it's finally time to go to bed.
Thank you as always for the informative posts.
They can't help the new hats but they can certainly rock them , which they both do.
The side way shots of the hat is much better
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/f...o_51813172.jpg
Handsome as always.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...1707536622.jpg

The darker pants really improve Joachim's uniform. So for him no other uniform in years time?

I'm guessing Frederik could use others besides the navy, but imo he is Navy through and through

Frederik without the hat
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqMtUsAAjolf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqLwUkAElGj-.jpg
Old 01-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
The darker pants really improve Joachim's uniform. So for him no other uniform in years time?

I'm guessing Frederik could use others besides the navy, but imo he is Navy through and through

Frederik without the hat
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqMtUsAAjolf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXpyqLwUkAElGj-.jpg
That's it for Joachim.
Unless QMII or Frederik makes him general a la suite (i.e. without a command, which is what PH and Frederik are) but I don't think that is going to happen.
But if we are to talk about gender equality (eh, PH?) then Mary should be promoted to general a la suite in the Home Guard once she becomes queen. It'll be interesting to see if that happens.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
This is one nice picture of Frederik and Mary

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3e&oe=57165704
Oh leave it to Robin Utrecht to make the best pics!!

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals