The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was informative to learn that Queen Caroline Amalie's parure was gifted to the Danish Crown Jewels.
Also, only the Queen can wear it.
The Danish Royals have very fancy automobiles.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Fish cream? Yuck...
Thanks HP for all the dress pics! QM in the orange peach- oh my word...

Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Do they have today off?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Do they have today off?
the next court is January 6th and then January 7th. So we have a few more days to wait.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Perhaps because this is in all likelihood her last New Year Court as Prime Minister, let alone leader of her party. (Even though the leader of the opposition does his very best to help her being reelected this year)!
So no need to invest in an expensive gala dress...

A video from BB og the DRF arriving: VIDEO: Margrethe og Mary sørgede for fornem start på 2015 | Billed Bladet
I must say
Helle Thorning-Schmidt's is so beautiful, she can have a tiara too and look like a Queen. I do not know if she is good or not in her job as Prime Minister but she is so beautiful , don't wonder why Obama was having a nice conversation with her..........! Surprise the Queen didn't give her any decoration!!!!! I would love to see her with a new dress and a tiara!
Regarding the video in the Danish website about how they put the table , I didn't understand everything, may be when you can could you tell us what it said?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Aristocracy

Do we know why CPM is on the opposite side of the car from QM and Princess Marie?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Serene Highness

QM, as the Sovereign, sits in the right side of the car, as she has precedence over her husband. CPF has precedence over CPMary, that's why he sits on the right side as well.
About Joachim and Marie: Muhler, once explained that since Joachim is the consumate gentelman, he lets his wife sit on the right side.

So, it's all a matter of precedence.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
QM, as the Sovereign, sits in the right side of the car, as she has precedence over her husband. CPF has precedence over CPMary, that's why he sits on the right side as well.
About Joachim and Marie: Muhler, once explained that since Joachim is the consumate gentelman, he lets his wife sit on the right side.

So, it's all a matter of precedence.
Yes, that's the "explanation" Muhler likes to give....

Does the order of precedence apply only to the Regent couple and CP couple in Denmark?

IIRC, it has been said several times that QM is a "stickler for protocol" (or do I remember that wrong?) but in this case she doesn't seem to care?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Naturally, because it's an undeniable truth that Joachim is the perfect gentleman.

QMII is a stickler for protocol in the sense that guests and other people the DRF deals with in an official capacity is always treated according to the protocol. In that way no one can feel snubbed.
And as QMII is fond of saying: "It's after all only possible for one at a time to go through the door".

I think she allows herself to be more lax when it comes to close family. The interaction has never been stiff between the members of the DRF, even when the show is on. - The respectful formalities are always counterbalanced by something warm, like a kiss on the cheek or a loving ruffling of the hair. (Like PH did to Frederik once).

However, M&F are special and they might just as well get used to it, so that it never becomes awkward for them.

Joachim, our Marie and Benedikte are further down the line so they can be more relaxed. Joachim is merely treating our Marie with the same curtsy I'm convinced PH would do, if he didn't happen to be Prince Consort.
And should Joachim drive with both Marie and Benedikte in the same car, I'm certain he would ensure his wife and moster (maternal aunt) would get out first.

Let me put it in another way: From what you know of Frederik, do you think if Frederik and Joachim swapped places in the line of succession, that Frederik wouldn't allow Mary to get out from the right side of the car, even though he technically outranks her?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

On the video it took time before Prince Henrik came out of the car.
He was fortunaltely on the left side and I am sure that people had to help him getting out of his car and nobody saw it on TV.

In Belgium our former King Albert II needs the arm of his wife Queen Paola to waik.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
However, M&F are special and they might just as well get used to it, so that it never becomes awkward for them.

Let me put it in another way: From what you know of Frederik, do you think if Frederik and Joachim swapped places in the line of succession, that Frederik wouldn't allow Mary to get out from the right side of the car, even though he technically outranks her?
I'm sure you are right. And maybe Frederik would love to be a perfect gentleman and let Mary get out from the right side of the car even in his current place in succession... If he could.

I'm not criticizing Joachim and Marie. They can get out of the car any way they like. This is just something that people ask about most years. Looking at it, if you don't know the reason for it, you kind of get the impression that the Regent couple and J&M are doing things by the book and Frederik and Mary don't.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Courtier

On a sidenote ...
Did you notice that Joachim let Marie shake hands first while Mary was second to her husband?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Nobility

Apparently the public is allowed to get quite close to the royals on this occasion, in spite of what I presume is heavy security. On the Royal Watcher site, there is a picture of several people with cell phone cameras taking pictures through the windows. Just click on 'Danish Royal Family' and scroll down.

All the ladies look wonderful, but Mary has outdone herself, and it looks as though Frederik agrees! It's easy to envision them as a future king and queen.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
On the video it took time before Prince Henrik came out of the car.
He was fortunaltely on the left side and I am sure that people had to help him getting out of his car and nobody saw it on TV.

In Belgium our former King Albert II needs the arm of his wife Queen Paola to waik.
I read somewhere that he was actually talking to a court employee. - There could be several reasons for that. One I can imagine is to ask about health or the well being of family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I'm sure you are right. And maybe Frederik would love to be a perfect gentleman and let Mary get out from the right side of the car even in his current place in succession... If he could.

I'm not criticizing Joachim and Marie. They can get out of the car any way they like. This is just something that people ask about most years. Looking at it, if you don't know the reason for it, you kind of get the impression that the Regent couple and J&M are doing things by the book and Frederik and Mary don't.
I know.
And personally I wouldn't dream about being annoyed by answering the same questions year after year, because there is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers.
- And it helps those of us who were born in Late Jurassic to remember details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
On a sidenote ...
Did you notice that Joachim let Marie shake hands first while Mary was second to her husband?
That's because, wait for the fanfare, Joachim is the very definition of a perfect gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
Apparently the public is allowed to get quite close to the royals on this occasion, in spite of what I presume is heavy security. On the Royal Watcher site, there is a picture of several people with cell phone cameras taking pictures through the windows. Just click on 'Danish Royal Family' and scroll down.

All the ladies look wonderful, but Mary has outdone herself, and it looks as though Frederik agrees! It's easy to envision them as a future king and queen.
Yes, the public is allowed surprisingly close access to the DRF. Long may that last...
Certainly Mary looks every inch a queen now. And Frederik has begun to believe that he looks the part.
Just like a soldier in uniform: If you look like a king, you start acting like a king and then you become a king.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
On a sidenote ...
I can imagine the amount of hate Mary would get if she shakes hands before her husband

Quote:
Certainly Mary looks every inch a queen now. And Frederik has begun to believe that he looks the part.
Just like a soldier in uniform: If you look like a king, you start acting like a king and then you become a king.
Frederik looks perfect in uniform. I think if he wore his uniform everyday, there would be no complains from me
(of course, he looks great in suit, tux, wet suit, red pants...etc)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

I often find the menus at some of these events to sound rather odd or should I say rather unappetizing. Fish Cream for instance! Can any of our Danish members enlighten us about this as it doesn't sound very appealing.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
I can imagine the amount of hate Mary would get if she shakes hands before her husband
Oh god, yes. She would immediately be bashed for "stealing the attention"

Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I often find the menus at some of these events to sound rather odd or should I say rather unappetizing. Fish Cream for instance! Can any of our Danish members enlighten us about this as it doesn't sound very appealing.
Perhaps one of the Danish posters can do a proper translation. I am sure the meal was the best that the wonderful Danish chef's could prepare. I am curious about the ...Paris breast... Probably less interesting than the translation presented.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Paris Brest is a desert. It's a pat a choux/profiteroles/eclair usually filled with some kind of cream and nuts (almond etc).
Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Fiskecreme, which Google translates (usually a problem with food words from Danish I've found) directly to fish cream, is a sort-of soup-style dish that is served with various types of fish.

This is the first one that pops up on Google: Fiskecreme med slethvar - Opskrifter - Arla

And Paris Brest: Paris–Brest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals