Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read several times on this board and others that he's about 5'9 and that Mary is roughly 5'6-5'7...correct me if I'm wrong!

GlitteringTiaras said:
LOL!:D

When Mary's event happens, on the fifth of this month, she'll go all out by shoving the housecoat to the back of her closet and break out the amazing dresses she's known for wearing. Or not.

Let's mix this discussion up a bit: I'll bet Mary will wear yet another housecoat, hair in a giant beehive do, simple make-up, and black shoes for her own kur. Anyone else think so?

:)

It is during the day and attendees have been advised to wear day suits.

Noelle9982 said:
Well said fromEU!

Mary's job first and foremost is to act as a representative of one of the oldest royal families in the world, not to be a fashion icon. This dress wasn't worn to make a statement...it was worn because it was appropriate for the formality of the evening.
quote]

If I recall correctly, this event was held during the day, hence no tiaras.

Here is a selcetion from Face to Face,they have many more but they are practically the same as theese ones

Attachments

• 00832629.jpg
    00832629.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 295
  • 00832637.jpg
    00832637.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 00832638.jpg
    00832638.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 00832643.jpg
    00832643.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 00832645.jpg
    00832645.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 274
  • 00832646.jpg
    00832646.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 00832647.jpg
    00832647.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 00832651.jpg
    00832651.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 00832657.jpg
    00832657.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 829
  • 00832624.jpg
    00832624.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 498
Harmony said:
I think she looked very beautiful, elegant, formal with much dignity fit for a future queen. Her gown is gorgeous from the close ups seen in CPMB.

http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3748&st=30

You are right, I've wached the pic with the close view, the pattern blue & beige is wonderfull. Nevetheless the dress's cut (actually it's less a dress and more a very long coat..), it's very strong and graceless, without movement, it "kills" her grace.

I love both the dresses. The brown purple coat looks sometimes like leopard and sometimes acid, which both are fantastic and original. The blue one looks regal and perfectly suitable for a future queen.

We must keep in mind that it is cold in Denmark and who wants to wear a flimsy dress in freezing cold weather. When will Mary start wearing fur? That I am curious about.

Donna said:
I love both the dresses. The brown purple coat looks sometimes like leopard and sometimes acid, which both are fantastic and original. The blue one looks regal and perfectly suitable for a future queen.

We must keep in mind that it is cold in Denmark and who wants to wear a flimsy dress in freezing cold weather. When will Mary start wearing fur? That I am curious about.
It is not a leopard is much much better.
I've took this image from http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3748&st=30, I'may not been allowed to do it, sorry???

Look at the pattern, isn't marvelous???? But the dress cut does not fit perfectly to her, it shows her fatter than she is, maybe the dress was cut before her pregnacy???? It seems tight near the belt

Last edited by a moderator:
"You people don't seem to have any sence about what this occasion is. This event has nothing to do with being "wow" or being smart or fashionable. It is a formal reception for diplomats and ambasadors from different countries and cultures around the world to greet the Queen. The different diplomats show up in thier national dresses if they have any and the Royal family tries to show a little formality and regalness instead. Imagine showing too much skin or being too sexy when greeting an ambassadors from the middel east:) This is not a show for you."

And she could have done that without wearing the dresses she wore. The first was a lovely colour, the second just reminded me of the "Von Trapp" curtains from the Sound of Music. Moreover the dress she appears to be wearing underneath the coat seems quite lovely, It's a beautiful colour and the beadwork is very pretty. Of course you cannot see the entire dress so it is hard to judge, but it seems to be very nice. Other royals have demonstrated in the past how to look elegant yet formal, it's not that difficult.

kwanfan said:
I thought Alexandra's dress for the January 1st Court was gorgeous, although I'm surprised she'd recycle her 2004 dress for the same occasion.

Its actually the 3rd time Alex has worn the red dress to the New Year gala. I believe the first time was in 2000, then in 2004 and now 2005.

Last edited:
Little_star said:
...Other royals have demonstrated in the past how to look elegant yet formal, it's not that difficult.
Yes, they have and at other times they have not:)

fandesacs2003 said:
It is not a leopard is much much better.
I've took this image from http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3748&st=30, I'may not been allowed to do it, sorry???

Look at the pattern, isn't marvelous???? But the dress cut does not fit perfectly to her, it shows her fatter than she is, maybe the dress was cut before her pregnacy???? It seems tight near the belt

http://tinypic.com/jr38k9.jpg
Wow! Thanks for the picture fandesacs2003! I actually see now that it isn't a leopard print too! What a big relieve! ;)

I didn't like what Mary wore at all, on both occasions. From a distance the blue dress actually looks marvellous, but I think she might have paired it up with too much jewellery.
The second dress, I found fault in the amount of jewellery too. It's a beautiful fabric with a beautiful patter, but when I was looking through pictures, I could not help but be distracted by pearls she was wearing. I know we've seen them in the past before, but if they had been one solid color, it would have made it less distracting and less crowded, and thus would have allowed us to focus more on the intricate details of the dress.

New Year's Cour at Christiansborg Palace today, here are the first pictures...

The first two are from Polfoto, the third if from B.T., the fourth is from Local Eyes via TV2 and the fifth is from Scanpix via TV2.

Crown Princess Mary arrives to Amalienborg where she hosted her own New Year's Cour today in Christian IX's Palace.

From Polfoto.

Attachments

• Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_1 (P).jpg
    Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_1 (P).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_2 (P).jpg
    Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_2 (P).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_3 (Kristian Juul, BT).jpg
    Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_3 (Kristian Juul, BT).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_4 (Local Eyes, TV2).jpeg
    Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_4 (Local Eyes, TV2).jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_5 (Scanpix, TV2).jpeg
    Nytårskur 5 jan 2005_5 (Scanpix, TV2).jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Nytårskur Mary Amalienborg 5 jan 2005_1 (P).jpg
    Nytårskur Mary Amalienborg 5 jan 2005_1 (P).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 387
Images from newscom

Attachments

• showcasepix631095.jpg
    showcasepix631095.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 215
  • showcasepix631096.jpg
    showcasepix631096.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 186
  • showcasepix631106.jpg
    showcasepix631106.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Alexandria said:
Did Joachim and Beneditke attend? There don't seem to be many (any) pictures of either of them.
Joachim attended. According to Billed-Bladet he was 25 minutes late.

I scanned the picture from Billed-bladet, Joachim at the New Year Leeve:
joachimbilledbladetscanpix.jpg

(credit: Billed-Bladet/Scanpix/Polfoto)

norwegianne said:
Joachim attended. According to Billed-Bladet he was 25 minutes late.

Nope Princess Benedikte did not attend the NewYears court.
I don´t think she ever had done that. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is Mary wearing the Royal Family Order for the first time. I must say the Danish Family Order is not my favourite. I dont like the colors or the pearl surronding. I much prefer the Swedish with Blue and Diamond encrusted edges. The British too I like King George VI pink one and elizabeths yellow one. I dont like the way they tie the ribbons though.

I thought it was a Family Order but I couldn't find any info on it or a picture. What exactly is it called? When did she get it?

Thanks again everyone for the pictures.

I would like to find out what has been the general reaction of the Danish people regarding these events. Could our Danish posters please tell us what were the feelings and reactions of the Danes. What has been written in the papers/magazines or what were the comments in the streets/etc. if any.

Thanks in advance. :)

Well, I know I'm a bit late but I have to say I thought both outifts below looked absolutely stunning. Suitably regal for a future Queen. IMO, She glowed and they were wonderful outfits.

Oh my god whata hell is this "flower" dress mary is wering? oh gosh she lost her sense of fashion? :confused:

GrandDuchess said:
Crown Princess Mary arrives to Amalienborg where she hosted her own New Year's Cour today in Christian IX's Palace.

From Polfoto.
Any more pics of this event?

When and what is this event? I agree that Mary has definitely worn more flattering dresses.

a selection from facetoface on the 5th December's New Year Reception
(not much different from those already posted, only bigger)
too bad there're no picture from inside christianborg yet.

Attachments

• 00833330.jpg
    00833330.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 00833332.jpg
    00833332.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 00833333.jpg
    00833333.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 00833337.jpg
    00833337.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 00833338.jpg
    00833338.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 00833339.jpg
    00833339.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 226
The Danish Royal Family really go in for a lot of pompand splendour!

BeatrixFan said:
I thought it was a Family Order but I couldn't find any info on it or a picture. What exactly is it called? When did she get it?

I have just sent a mail to the Lord Chamberlain office with a question about the homepage and about the royal family of Denmark and the orders they have receivede.
I hope to get a answer or to se som change on the page hopefully.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

she looks great!

I think CP Mary looked great at the last event...her hair was stunning, she was looking very pretty, however, the dress was not well suited to her...that's okay, it happens... ;)

Calm down you guys, I know how bad is to see are idols been caled "dowdy housewife" but we have to admit that dress is just HORRIBLE is disgusting
Mary's skin was beautiful her hair was beautiful, but the dress :eek: that pics needs to be posted in the worst outfits topic!
But the blue dress is fine I loved it! ;D

I doubt any of the dresses Mary wore this new year would be my first choice for a reception with the queen.

The blue one, at first I liked it but there's something too simple about it that I don't like. It does enhance the elephant, the chain and also the tiara though.

The yellow one, at first I found it hideous but it's growing on me. Probably because it's the kind of dress I imagine only a royal person could wear.

Although the clothes are somewhat important we shouldn't forget that it's the actual presence of the members of the royal family that's really important on these occasions.

How would we feel if Mary decided to stay home because she thought to herself; ''Oh this dress doesn't really fit me and I will get a lot of criticism for it so I better stay put here in my couch with my baby and watch some television''.

HM Queen Margrethe II's New Year's Speech 2005

On the last day of 2005, HM Queen Margrethe II gave her 34rd New Year's Speech at 6 o'clock in the evening. As usual, Her Majesty spoke from her study in Christian IX's Palace at Amalienborg. The first New Year's Speech was given by H.M. King Christian X in 1947. Only very few heads-of-state have their New Year's Speech transmitted live. Along with HM Queen Beatrix of Holland, HM Queen Margrethe is, to my knowledge, the only European one to do so.

Queen Margrethe's New Year's Speech of 2005, translated into English:
It is New Year's Eve. The year 2005 is coming to an end. Soon, we will close the book and put the old, well-known volume back on the shelf. Next to it stands a closed book, of which all we know is that it is called '2006'. We believe to know a little about its contents, maybe we suspect to know parts of the story; but what it will afford in all aspects is not known until another 365 days have passed.

The last time we celebrated the New Year, it was in the shadow of the catastrophic tidal wave in South East Asia. It affected us more closely because we still had to fear, in those days, that the number of Danish victims would also be heavy. After many apprehensive weeks, it turned out that the losses were fortunately not as serious as we first feared; but for the individual family who was hit, the loss is just as big, and in the countries ravaged by the tidal wave, long time will pass before life will be normal again.

This autumn, we witnessed, again, natural disasters of proportions which are hard to grasp for us, when, in October, the north-eastern Pakistan was hit by an earthquake which destroyed lives and property, and has made thousands homeless. But not even a technologically highly developed society is proof against the vagaries of nature. We experienced the truth of this when a series of tropical storms swept over Central America and the southern USA, and made even a large city as New Orleans a disaster area.

Every time, the Danish aid has been spontaneous and generous. And could it seem as if we were quite quick and generous wherever our own countrymen were amongst the victims, it is a joy to see how the aid to Pakistan has now started. But tonight we must first and foremost gather and focus on thanking all those from Denmark who have personally taken part in the relief. Under the most difficult conditions, they have again and again stationed themselves in order to contribute with what they are able to. This applies to the Rescue Readiness, the Defence and the Police, the Red Cross and all other humanitarian organisations. With my wishes for the New Year, I also send my best thanks for the effort they give. They do Denmark honour!

But not only the forces of nature have caused havoc in 2005.

The blind terrorism has also cast dark shadows over the societies in the year passed. Sometimes so near that we sense the shockwaves as when London was hit this summer, in the busy everyday life which looks like ours.

Acts of violence and suicide attacks like these lie far from our concepts here in Denmark. Nevertheless, we must realise that extreme opinions and acts can seem tempting to young people, and that sacrificing oneself for a cause can seem heroic. But sacrificing others for one's own anger or hopelessness; that is brutish and cynical; that makes no hero! We do not wish that that fate shall tempt one single young person, who has grown up here in Denmark.

The Danish society is open and democratic; it is based on respect for one another as human beings, and on the respect for each other's opinions. It is probably typical for us in Denmark that we do not care for conflicts; a discussion must preferably end up with all parties agreeing.

Sharp-cut points of view and categorical demands, dramatic statements are hard for us to take seriously, and often, we react by either giggling or feeling offended. But it is important that we both listen to one another and are able to speak freely of our opinions whilst letting others know when we agree and when we disagree. That is the manner in which we have built the society in which we take pride, and which we know is looked up to and envied a bit other places in the world. We wish that all in future generations will feel as a part of this society, thus making it naturally for any young man or woman to hold on to and defend it in his or her daily activities.

The year to which we now say farewell, is also a beginning of something entirely new for the Danish society. The municipal election of autumn marks the commencement of the municipal reform which has been in the pipeline for a long time. Already now, it is felt all over the country. Old patterns have to be broken, new to be made, and no wonder if it makes many people uncertain of how it will affect their daily life.

In a year, the municipal reform will be reality with joint municipalities and new regions. Denmark is refurnishing her living rooms. Walls are torn down and new doors are put into place. It will probably take some time before all of us are accustom hereto, and find out where everything is placed now. But it is the same house and the same family. Both the Prince Consort and I have felt this clearly when we, earlier this year, visited around the country. Everywhere, we meet the same, warm hospitality, and feel the same pride, although the circumstances can be ever so different from one place to the next.

In these years, the Danish Defence is also going through major changes which affect the individual, both when on duty and in private. At the same time, the work with the assignments placed upon the Defence continues. The year has been marked by the major effort, which is made internationally, and it is evident that the Danish Defence and its personnel is a centre of respect. We have seen that it has costs, and my thoughts go out to those who have been hit so suddenly and hard, and to the families who must sit with the grief and the loss. I send my New Year's greetings to all in the Defence, to their families and those closest to them. May the new year be a good year for the Danish Defence as well.

My thoughts and wishes go out for all Danish who are celebrating New Year far from home, and to all those who must miss a family member on this evening. My greeting also goes for the many who have travelled to settle abroad for a shorter or longer period of time, and for the Danish south of the border who ever so faithfully maintain their Danish inheritance, whilst being respected citizens of the country where they live. I wish for a happy New Year for them all.

This autumn, the Prince Consort and I have experienced one of the biggest joys of all for a mother and a father, that is once again becoming grandparents. The Crown Prince Couple's little son has become yet another symbol of unity, not only for the family, bur, I dare say, for all of Denmark; his happy parents, the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess, and the Prince Consort and I myself, are deeply touched by the warm participation we have met everywhere. I would like to wish all good for all young families who, in this year, will experience the blessing it is that a new little life is placed in their hands.

This summer, the trip was once again set for the Faroe Islands, this time with the Crown Prince Couple. It was a visit to which we looked forward; and as always, we have returned enriched, encouraged and touched by the warm reception we all shared. May the new year be a good year for the Faroese and the Faroese society.

Greenland too stands clearly in the minds of my entire family and me, and I bring warm New Year's greetings and good wishes for Greenland and all, who live in the vast, beautiful land.

Every year has its joys, but also its sorrows which can be twice as heavy a burden, when others can celebrate and be happy. To anyone who sits with great concerns, or who has lost someone they love, my thoughts go out, and I hope that all who know someone who sits alone with their anxiety and loss will be ready with comfort and help, maybe just a handshake or a smile on a cold day.

The book of the year is a strange book. Some of the text is already there, and will reveal itself, day by day, without us having much influence hereon. But some of the text, we write ourselves; therefore, the book of the year is also our very own.

Let us help one another make the book of the new year a good book for our country and for our society and all of us; may 2006 be a joyful, new year.

GOD SAVE DENMARK

The above translation is made by me. I have done my best in order to overcome the challenges presented by the major differences between the Danish and English languages. Moreover, I have sought to the best of my humble abilities to give a translation which preserves Her Majesty's tone and style. Finally, I want to accentuate the fact that this translation has not been seen by anyone affiliated with the Royal Danish Court, and has not been officially approved.

685047-7eb45423b96cb83291a26a43887c1fa9.jpeg

Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II giving the New Year's Speech of 2005 from her Amalienborg Study

To see Her Majesty's New Year's Speech of 2005, click this link: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2006/01/03/083818.htm and then click on "Se talen" below the image of Her Majesty.

Of course, I posted the translation to hear some opinions about the speech, about how it was given, about Her Majesty's appearance or anything else than you may find relevant to dicuss regarding the New Year's Speech.

Since this is my first post in the forums, I look forward to this and many interesting debates inhere.

/Lasse Pedersen

Back
Top Bottom