Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today Wednesday it's time for the New Year Court for the Diplomatic Corps.

I expect someone else will dig out pics and clips, so perhaps we should go through what happens for new members.

This court will take place at Christiansborg.

Here the DRF will take up position near the end of a hall, with the diplomats lining the walls.
QMII will welcome the diplomats and wish them a Happy New Year as head of state, but also as head of the family.
The doyen(ne) of the diplomatic corps will give a short speech expressing the best wishes for Denmark and the Danes and also wish the royal family a Happy New Year.
Then each diplomat (in alphabetical order IIRC) will greet the DRF, before going into an adjacent hall for a refreshments and a chat with the other diplomats. (This is after all one of the very few occasions where they are all together at the same time in one room).
The DRF will then join the diplomats for coffee, pastry, wine and what else is served while they mingle.

It's usually a colorful event, since many diplomats were their national costume. Also one of the few occasions they do that.

For our American members: The new US ambassador will likely be well featured since the role of the US ambassador has been much more public here in DK over the past 15 years.
She's brand new to the job however and this will be her first New Year Court.
The popular French ambassador is also likely to be well featured on photos.

------------------

Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

What would we do without Daily Mail to keep us abreast of the events? ;)

Today Wednesday it's time for the New Year Court for the Diplomatic Corps.

There are two New Year's Courts today. :flowers:

The first one, at Christian VII Palace, Amalienborg, is for the The justices of the Supreme Court of Denmark and the officer corps of the Royal Life Guard and the Guard Hussar Regiment.

The three gowns are gorgeous and quite festively stunning together.
I love Margrethe's tiara. Everyone looks happy.

I wonder will Princess Elisabeth attend tonights gala?

Everyone at the first New Year's Court looked regal and festive. However (this is not going to be a popular opinion) Frederik needs to get rid of the beard. It's making him look old and haggard. He also needs to find a new tailor, because those pants are just too long and baggy, IMO.

I have just seen the video of the Diplomatic Reception on Facebook. QM is seated, as usual - can't blame her, I would too! Mary is wearing a pretty purple dress. In the comments section, there are comments which make me think that the new US ambassador is not as popular as the last one. I know it took a long time for that particular post to be filled.

Last edited:
Everyone at the first New Year's Court looked regal and festive. However (this is not going to be a popular opinion) Frederik needs to get rid of the beard. It's making him look old and haggard. He also needs to find a new tailor, because those pants are just too long and baggy, IMO.

I have just seen the video of the Diplomatic Reception on Facebook. QM is seated, as usual - can't blame her, I would too! Mary is wearing a pretty purple dress. In the comments section, there are comments which make me think that the new US ambassador is not as popular as the last one. I know it took a long time for that particular post to be filled.

Unpopular or not, I agree.

I like Frederik with a beard but it needs to be more trimmed then it was at the new years court, and I also noticed first thing that his pants are too long and therefore baggy and unfitting. Hope they get tailored before he whips them out next time :lol:

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous: Seems like we have a growing movement for force-shaving Frederik - without shaving foam. That'll teach him. :D

This clip from DR1 is mainly for our US friends: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/u...arskur-hos-dronningen-jeg-er-ved-falde-til#!/
It focus on the new US ambassador in DK, Carla Sands.
She has a serious task ahead of her!

The former ambassador, Rufus Gifford, was very good at PR, and as such popular, especially among high schoolers and the inner city segments. He was gay and got married in DK (which really shouldn't mean anything nowadays but it still does) and he had all the political correct opinions and he attended all the right cultural events.
He also had two seasons on TV about what goes on behind the scenes as an ambassador - including a lot about himself and his husband.
The cynic within me can't help admiring him. That's the way to do it, if you want to endear yourself to people and those who matters, should you ever become ambassador.
On top of that he represented president Obama, who had and still has a high star here in DK. All across the political spectrum actually, even among the extreme left. Which is interesting since president Obama's policy in Danish context would have made him a comfortable liberal (to the right of the political center).
It's no secret that President Trump, with the exception of a couple of parties, has a considerable lower standing here in DK.

So the poor Carla Sands can only go up from here... ;)?

- I mention all this because Carla Sands is destined to be mentioned again here in the DRF threads while she is serving as ambassador to DK.

Last edited:
Lovely pictures of the arrivial of Frederik & Mary. That way they always look at each other ?
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b07d3801b2b9016bc580957d1d789f82&oe=5AC2823F
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a6cad5c65ce7c3d71621d27809a0e223&oe=5AB1C953
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=79436df6d39905823d929a01ce0f9421&oe=5AF9465C

This picture of Mary arriving is breathtaking!
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d8f55f9f99d5726af4b7833b81ab3ab3&oe=5AB18E4F

Great to see Elisabeth attended as well. And everyone else. Happy new year to all.

Last edited:
Here is BB's coverage of the Grand New Year Court.

Not much new in the text. it has evolved into an occasion for young aspiring designers to present their works, because some of the politicians go to young designers, that includes Merete Riisager, who is Minister for Education. She and her predecessors usually have their dresses created by design-students. That is why I include the guests.

But see for yourselves here:
BB #01, 2018

And last week:
BB #52, 2017

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the scans, Muhler!

I was hoping to see a photo of princess Elisabeth at the new year's court, but there doesn't seem to be one in BB. Could it be she didn't attend this year?

She did attend, I understand. But due to her not walking very well anymore she used another entrance.

Thank you to those who shared the additional photos and videos.
Nice to see Elisabeth attended, I'm glad she went.
I just love all the photos of Frederik and Mary arriving. Mary always knows how to look like a fairytale princess at the NY Courts!

Right now a minor storm is passing DK.

I wonder if that will affect the court tonight.
As you know the guests and the DRF usually go through the front door in the facade of the mansion. But if it's too windy, and especially if it's rainy, I think there is a chance they will use the side entrance.
I.e. drive in through the gate and walk up the stairs there. Just as Elisabeth used to do.
Because umbrellas and a canopy will be of little use in stormy weather!

Right now a minor storm is passing DK.

I wonder if that will affect the court tonight.
As you know the guests and the DRF usually go through the front door in the facade of the mansion. But if it's too windy, and especially if it's rainy, I think there is a chance they will use the side entrance.
I.e. drive in through the gate and walk up the stairs there. Just as Elisabeth used to do.
Because umbrellas and a canopy will be of little use in stormy weather!

Didn't the guests enter through the side entrance until a few years ago.
But the Quen, Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim usuallym inspect the Guard of Honour in the Entrance Hall so i guess even if they will enter through the side entrance the will go into the Entrance Hall.

Yes and no.

There is a logistical problem with a larger number of guests using the side entrance.
Unless they are dropped off outside the gate, and that sort of defeats the purpose of going inside when the weather is bad, there will soon be a congestion of cars trying to enter and leave through the same gate.
Even though many if not most of the guests tonight have an official car with a driver.
Hmm, unless the cars exist through the other side gate... I guess we'll see tonight.
And with a bit of luck Copenhagen won't be that affected by the wind.

Yes and no.

There is a logistical problem with a larger number of guests using the side entrance.
Unless they are dropped off outside the gate, and that sort of defeats the purpose of going inside when the weather is bad, there will soon be a congestion of cars trying to enter and leave through the same gate.
Even though many if not most of the guests tonight have an official car with a driver.
Hmm, unless the cars exist through the other side gate... I guess we'll see tonight.
And with a bit of luck Copenhagen won't be that affected by the wind.
Malmö, which is right across the water from Copenhagen, is in the middle of the worst gusts of wind at the moment. The bridge over Öresund (the water separating Denmark from Sweden) is in partial lock down until 18.00 when the storm is expected to have passed over the region.

Back
Top Bottom