Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel pity with the prince consort Henrik.

In some way he is too concerned with titels.

Besides his grey area nobility, he also wanted to change his titel from prince to prince consort some years ago.

It is difficult for me to understand.

I think he even wanted to be called "King consort" (he does have a point because his female counterparts' title is "Queen consort") and he did a primadonna when his son Frederik was appointed host during one of the New Year acts when his mother was absent. He went to Caix and his wife finally had to go and persuade him to come back :p

I can assure you that the danish press would be all over him if there was any indication as his brother Joachim

Kongehuset
I didn't say he was hungover or anything else, I just pointed out that his eyes were red. Could be Isabella kept him up with an upset tummy...

Well, Benedikte is right that the press would definetly mention it, if Fred would have a problem with drinking or anything even remotely in the direction :)

I didn't say he was hungover or anything else, I just pointed out that his eyes were red. Could be Isabella kept him up with an upset tummy...

You didn't but others said it ;)

I think he even wanted to be called "King consort" (he does have a point because his female counterparts' title is "Queen consort") and he did a primadonna when his son Frederik was appointed host during one of the New Year acts when his mother was absent. He went to Caix and his wife finally had to go and persuade him to come back :p

I think he really has a need to be acknowledged.

And I think Denmark in time would have respected him if he just didn't get the temper tantrums.

The one where he told the press that he was nr. 2 and not nr. 3 was a big temper tantrum.

But also in the 11 hour documentary I think QMII looks worried on several occasions that he wil be angry.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think it is going to help Fred to deny that he turns up to occasions looking drunk or even stoned. His eyes are red here - and if that's the result of too much drinking, rather than getting stoned - that doesn't make it OK. It's an abuse of a privileged position not to take it seriously enough to NOT overindulge ahead of an event like this. Remember, this is Frederik AT WORK. If you or I turned up at work looking like this, there would be hell to pay.

It should be not just noticed, but discussed. I think Mary has in many ways been a real saviour for Fred - but if he's still looking trashed at an event six years into his marriage and with two more kids on the way, there's something seriously wrong with his attitude. I say: grow up and face reality, Crown Prince Frederik!

Accusations like this shouldn't be posted as fact. Where are you getting the information to support any of this?

Accusations like this shouldn't be posted as fact. Where are you getting the information to support any of this?

I do agree, Emmily BUT: Its a fact that - for whatever reason - Frederik has been looking ill/worn out/exhausted/unhealthy for a while now. The time period is too long to explain his bad looks with a cold or two demanding kids at home, there are lots of pictures out there for people to see that something is not right, what it is I dont know and I dont want to speculate.

The fact that the media is not picking up on the topic is not unusual. Just because they were all over Joachim doesnt mean they will be all over the heir as well. Even in Britain the tabloids kept quiet about what many insiders knew for years, in this case the failure of Prince Charles' marriage. Sometimes they have their reasons to keep quiet.

I do agree, Emmily BUT: Its a fact that - for whatever reason - Frederik has been looking ill/worn out/exhausted/unhealthy for a while now. The time period is too long to explain his bad looks with a cold or two demanding kids at home, there are lots of pictures out there for people to see that something is not right, what it is I dont know and I dont want to speculate.

The fact that the media is not picking up on the topic is not unusual. Just because they were all over Joachim doesnt mean they will be all over the heir as well. Even in Britain the tabloids kept quiet about what many insiders knew for years, in this case the failure of Prince Charles' marriage. Sometimes they have their reasons to keep quiet.

I do not believe for one second that Frederik is drinking as has been hinted.
I don't believe he is ill either.

My personal guess is that he occasionally has problems with insomnia. And, like me, has learned that while that's no big deal when you are in your 20's and 30's, once you are past 40, you really need your sleep.
And Frederik doesn't strike me as a person, who is particularly willing to use sleeping pills.

Last edited:
I do not believe for one second that Frederik is drinking as has been hinted.
I don't believe he is ill either.

My personal guess is that he occasionally has problems with insomnia. And, like me, has learned that while that's no big deal when you are in your 20 and 30's, but once you are past 40, you really need your sleep.

it may well be the case, muhler. but something is not right, thats for sure.

I don't know anything about Fredrick. But flashbulbs sometimes can make your eyes red. The Queen has beautiful jewelry. I also thought that Marie look very nice.

My personal guess is that he occasionally has problems with insomnia. And, like me, has learned that while that's no big deal when you are in your 20's and 30's, once you are past 40, you really need your sleep.

Ha, it's funny how we all bring our own experiences to these things... I've thought for some time now that Frederik has allergies, because I have them myself and know the look that Frederik has sometimes very well. I never had them until a couple years ago but now I'm sure if people were taking pictures of me as often as they do Frederik they'd see the same red, swollen eyes and overall congested look. Anti histamines help but often make me feel loopy so sometimes there's not much to be done except deal with it.
But who can tell, maybe I'm actually a closet alcoholic!! :lol:

well, as for frederik looking terrible, worn out, exausted... in these pics i, personally speaking, can't see anything of this.
i see a very fit (look at his uniform, it is extremely difficult to wear since it has so many buttons and well, none of them is stretching!) fortysomething with red eyes. also his position might have smth to do with it: if you pay due attention, you'll see he's looking at the camera sideways, and his left eye appears quite red in the corner nearer the nose, where almost everybody's eyes are very red.
as for the papers being more cautious with the heir, i don't think so. a juicy piece of gossip about frederik is bound to have much more effects than any story about joachim. to sell much more copies. why not even a witty remark about the chance of too many toasts to new year? judging from my personal experience in italy, the higher the target the better, and no piece of news, however comprmising, left out out of good hearth (which means, the papers being silent abou frederik's problems bc they are worried about him? forget it!)
and there's also the question of frederik's overall physical appearence. he has not got the drunkhard tummy, for sure.
insomnia might be a good guess, or more likely a disodered pattern of sleeping.
i think that with the bear he looks grungier, which some people might translate as worn out.

Last edited:

I said in an earlier post that of course it's conjecture. It doesn't do Frederik any service to gag discussion. If he has no drinking problem and no personal problems well that's a good thing! But the photos often contradict that assertion, and there are only so many excuses for turning up at work with red eyes and too much of an "extra merry" demeanor. What Fred does in his private time is of course his business (and his family's).

He has no chance to defend himself against your accusations. Unless you have prove for what you claim, you should keep it to yourself, as there is no basis for a proper discussion only what you want to see in a photo. Only your opinion with which most seem to disagree.

Duke of Marmalade said:
The time period is too long to explain his bad looks with a cold
No, we've had winter in Denmark since the 23rd November 2010 ans personally I've had the cold since ultimo November, so it could very well just be the cold.

It doesn't do Frederik any service to gag discussion. If he has no drinking problem and no personal problems well that's a good thing! But the photos often contradict that assertion, and there are only so many excuses for turning up at work with red eyes and too much of an "extra merry" demeanor. What Fred does in his private time is of course his business (and his family's).

It doesn't do Frederik any service to start a rumor about something as serious and harmful as a drinking and/or drug problem without a shred of evidence. If you're going to make what is, after all, a very serious accusation, then you should have serious evidence, not just conjecture, to back up your claim.

He has no chance to defend himself against your accusations. Unless you have prove for what you claim, you should keep it to yourself, as there is no basis for a proper discussion only what you want to see in a photo. Only your opinion with which most seem to disagree.

Of course he does! There's nothing stopping him from posting to this forum!

Camelot your allergy theory is interesting - that could well explain his red eyes.

http://6.t.cdn.belga.be/picture:24523574:preview:watermark?v=12d03620665

Last edited:
Looking at the picture of Frederik, only one eye is slightly red and the other is perfectly fine. A bit of redness can be from fatigue or usually if it's only one eye, it's usually from someone rubbing the eye because grit or an eyelash or something has gotten into the eye or it may have itched. No cause for concern.
The unfortunate result of making statements such as one believes Prince Frederik appears to have been drinking is that many times journalists peruse these forums and MB's and at times will use what they have read when writing articles on the Royals or it comes up on other Royal forums. That's a problem with making statements without any proof.
Anyway, back to the subject, the Queen looked magnificent as always. Margrethe knows how to dress to impress! Marie looked wonderful. This is one of the Danish Royal events I look forward to and it's a glamorous way to start the New Year.:flowers:

Let's get back on topic & stop speculating why Frederik is looking so tired.

Oh dear, Purepeople are saying that the gala took place in Stockholm:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You are true Tilia :whistling::ROFLMAO::bang::lol::ohmy::D
For me,purepeople isn't a serious forum.It's not a good reference.
Moreover,the language they use is very childish.
Most of time,they praise some royals and celebrities beyond the limits.
Their so-called journalists live in Barbie world:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gosh, Fred really doesn't look happy in this picture, yet as I said a picture is just a second in time. he does look congested though, or maybe he just misses Mary:sad:

Gosh, Fred really doesn't look happy in this picture, yet as I said a picture is just a second in time. he does look congested though, or maybe he just misses Mary:sad:

He looks pretty much as he usually does - doesn't he?

Perhaps he already had a good laugh before he inspected the troops here and tried to be serious. Apparently, he avoided the main entrance today and used the back door; this set tabloid Ekstra Bladet moving this morning 'where is FRED??', 'Mary must be giving birth' - till someone told them that Frederik was already inside - and was not helping delivering twins elsewhere :D
Mary better deliver soon - or the blood pressure of some of the journalist who are keeping watch will soon reach danger levels ;)

Joachim never took part in this New Years Reception.

oh come on, in these pictures frederik looks absolutely normal.
inspecting the tropp with a normal "on-duty" look.
but poor boy, whrn he smiles and appears merry like in the pics from jan 1 people start saying he binged, when he is serious he is said to be depressed...

He looks pretty much as he usually does - doesn't he?

Perhaps he already had a good laugh before he inspected the troops here and tried to be serious. Apparently, he avoided the main entrance today and used the back door; this set tabloid Ekstra Bladet moving this morning 'where is FRED??', 'Mary must be giving birth' - till someone told them that Frederik was already inside - and was not helping delivering twins elsewhere :D
Mary better deliver soon - or the blood pressure of some of the journalist who are keeping watch will soon reach danger levels ;)
I really don't know what the fuss is if someone says the Crown prince looks under the weather. If I had a cold and runny eyes and blocked nose, whats the big deal?:ermm:

I really don't know what the fuss is if someone says the Crown prince looks under the weather. If I had a cold and runny eyes and blocked nose, whats the big deal?:ermm:
No big deal for me - I just didn't think he looked very different from what he normally does. And he may be under the weather, it is the season for that.
Was just trying to tell what I personally find funny; that if the media cannot trace Frederik every minute right now, the frenzy seems to start.

Back
Top Bottom