Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't like this coat on mary when she wore it for the first time... and I still don't like it.

And: What is she wearing in her hair?

I like the coat, it looks warm and relatively comfortable, which I would assume have to be key factors in choosing it.

However...the headpiece. Oh my! It looks like she was doing housework and had to rush out the door to a formal event and forgot to take it off. Her hair is normally very elegant so it's a little odd to see this. Maybe she was trying to liven up an outfit she has already worn to give it a different look since this is not a tiara event.

I know that times are tight, but could The Queen find another dress in the closet to wear. The picture of her walking down the hall with the big fur coat was not very flattering at all! She looked like she had been attacked by a grizzly bear on her way in.

What did your Prince Consort do to have all his decorations ?? Is General of the Army or is he admiral ??

QMII has always reused her Cour dresses a lot - which makes sense since they are mostly used for this occasion. Bet that Mary's cour dresses will be reused many times as well - which I personally think is fine:flowers:

But altast Mary has a few different gowns which she now starts to recyle and not every year the same like the Queen who has worn the same gown for atlast 10 years to this Event.

What did your Prince Consort do to have all his decorations ?? Is General of the Army or is he admiral ??

His Royal Highness holds the honorary rank of General and Admiral in the Danish Defence.

(HM The Queen is the supreme commander of the Danish Defence Forces).

At first I was disappointed to see the same outfits again, especially Mary's, but her hair and jewellery are different, and if the Queen sets the standard for recycling, then we can only expect that Mary will follow it (if not to the same extent!), IMO.

Last edited:
I'm also thinking that it probably wouldn't be appropriate either for CP Mary to be constantly wearing a new gown at events like this where the Queen recycles as she should not outshine the Queen

However...the headpiece. Oh my! It looks like she was doing housework and had to rush out the door to a formal event and forgot to take it off.

In old movies you see cleaning ladies or housekeepers wearing such headbands when wiping the floor.

A classy hairdo what Mary usually does very well could have saved her ... but overall it all added up to looking very ordinary and boring.

I personally like the coat and I do not care if it is recycled or not. The cut, the color - it looks very nice on her. The hair band looks somehow strange and out of place, but I find it a very nice idea, since I can't remember having seen anything like this before on her on such an event like this one is.

She is a princess now for almost five years and has a huge collection of beautiful dresses. She can now chose and went for this one, which is absolutely ok. In times of economic crisis it would have been interpreted as too extravagant to wear a new gown. I am normally very fast in critizing her, but for both of this new year events I think she has done it very fine.

But altast Mary has a few different gowns which she now starts to recyle and not every year the same like the Queen who has worn the same gown for atlast 10 years to this Event.
I can't remember whether QMII has used this same blue dress for 10 years in a row - I thought she had used the similar yellow one a couple of times in this period - but as Johan so very apt has put it at GREMB - these dresses are a sort of female uniform. We can accept the same male uniform year in and out - surely we can accept the same for the female royal members :)

Agree with the others, nothing special:nonono:

i love thedress of Mary, anyone knows who made it or the design? i mean the grey sikver dress that she used too bfore her wedding

Bother the "Headband", what about the 60's “buffont” updo? I expected a swarm of bees to fly out at any moment. :ermm:

To all you "dedicated followers of fashion", if you are thinking of copying the stlye, think twice. For the love (and sanity) of your fellow man . . . don't. All I can see is miles and miles of extra tall cans of hairspray! :eek:

I can't remember whether QMII has used this same blue dress for 10 years in a row - I thought she had used the similar yellow one a couple of times in this period - but as Johan so very apt has put it at GREMB - these dresses are a sort of female uniform. We can accept the same male uniform year in and out - surely we can accept the same for the female royal members :)

Last year i had done a search at Polfoto (when one had still access) and in the photos of the last 10 years it was always this blue one. I think the gown in the same style only in yellow was used before the present one.
I think it is great that she recycles this gown so much and she looks great in it, but i like it more lik Mary does it with a few different gowns andchange them during the years so that it is not every year the same.

This might be a funny question, but Countess Alex did attend one or two events since her divorce, was she at the new years leeve gala?

i love thedress of Mary, anyone knows who made it or the design? i mean the grey sikver dress that she used too bfore her wedding

I think it was custommade for her by Malene Birger

i don't think alexandra was invited auntie, i don't remember her name on the invitation list.

This might be a funny question, but Countess Alex did attend one or two events since her divorce, was she at the new years leeve gala?
I think she attended them while she was still Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Denmark, but she doesn't go now - however, I could be wrong, as I haven't actually checked.

I was also a bit disappointed that Joachim and Marie did not take part in this reception. I know that she has worn the same thing each year, but I think that the Queen looked very nice. I agree with the previous poster who stated that if the Queen decided to recycle, then she set a precedent. It was wise of Mary to recycle as well.

I did think that this didn't look like the most exciting event. Oh, well. This is part of their duties, and not everything can be exciting.

As far as I know Alexandra is entitled to come and did in 2006 and 2007 but I think that since she remarried she has chosen not to attend.

I was also a bit disappointed that Joachim and Marie did not take part in this reception.

Joachim has never attended the Court for the Diplomatic Corps Only the Royal Couple and the Crown Princely Couple.
And on the Grand Court only the Royal Couple and the Crown Prince.

It has been my pleasure to look at all nice photos posted in this thread. I think that Queen Margrethe II is the only Queen, who does superb job of wearing furs. I like the fact that she recycles her court dress annually. Crown Princess Mary looked all right. However, the headpiece stood out awkwardly ... in my personal opinion.

If I remember correctly, HM's yellow brocade Russian style court dress was in use for about 8-10 years on end. What is left of it has probably ended up as a costume for one of Mrs. H.'s ballet performances!:)

To those of you who "moan" about the recurring dresses :
UserDane is absolutely correct!
The New Year's Court receptions are official and formal affairs and that's reflected in the royal dresses. This is not an occasion for showing off the latest fashion fads; it's about authority, and that's why the royal ladies, and HM in particular have opted for the uniform-like garment.

Do you think they were real furs ?
Sorry for the Danes , but when I saw the pictures of the Spanish RF yesterday I was much more impressed.

Back
Top Bottom