Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another clip from TV2: Kronprinsessen blev hjemme fra taffel - TV 2 Nyhederne

Now, I love details.
Compare Joachim in this clip with the one below, posted by FanMaxima: TV 2 Nyhederne - Video

Notice how Joachim exits the car nearest the red carpet, which is correct according to protocol.

Then he go back behind the car to meet Marie, before both of them walk up the red carpet. - Instead of just stand there and wait for her.
That's (and now I'm serious) the way to do it! :)

Notice how Joachim exits the car nearest the red carpet, which is correct according to protocol.

Then he go back behind the car to meet Marie, before both of them walk up the red carpet. - Instead of just stand there and wait for her.
That's (and now I'm serious) the way to do it! :)

Quite sweet IMO :)

If Mary is not attending, does that mean her LIW's also do not attend or are they automatically invited whether Mary is attending or not?

BB article and picture gallery

Last edited:
Quite sweet IMO :)

If Mary is not attending, does that mean her LIW's also do not attend or are they automatically invited whether Mary is attending or not?

BB article and picture gallery

Thanks for the additional pics :flowers:

No, I very much doubt Mary's LiW will be invited to this New Year Table. Her rank simply isn't high enough.

As you may have noticed, not even the spouses of the ministers are invited on this occasion.

ADDED: A little explanatory note.
This is the first of the New Year Courts, but it's also a New Year Table (Taffel).
The dignitaries greet the DRF, that's basicially the court-part of the event. Then they have dinner. That's the table-bit.
Taffel = Table. Taffel is an archaic word for a grand dinner.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a distinction in English for the Danish words: Kur and Hof.
This is a New Year "kur", which means: to court someone, in this case the DRF. - That's where you are recieved by the DRF and greet them.
Now, the word "hof" can have two meanings, depending on how it's used. Usually you translate the word "hof" to court. I.e. the royal household, complete with LiW's and what not.
However, "holde hof" is also translated to court, but that meaning is very different. To "holde hof" is when the monarch precides over his/her court. I don't even believe that is done anymore. Not since Absolutism was abolished in 1848.
Do you get my meaning? - We are talking about very old expressions here.

Last edited:
Oh, that´s easy. They go direct from their house to a warm car, getting out for about 1 minute and then they are inside again. So no problem at all.

That's what i always wondered. do they drive direct from theirn respecitive Amalienborg Palais to Christian VII. Palais or do they make a round around the block so to say so that the arrive all friom the same street/direction?

That's what i always wondered. do they drive direct from theirn respecitive Amalienborg Palais to Christian VII. Palais or do they make a round around the block so to say so that the arrive all friom the same street/direction?
They go direct from their respective parts of Amalienborg. Yesterday we saw QMII and Prince Henrik drive out from their part passing the CPC´s part, then the part with the Amalienborg Museum and then arrive in front of the guestpart.

Sorry, I can´t remember all the names for the four different parts of Amalienborg, but I hope you get, what I mean :flowers:

It's good to see Marie again. Her dress looks indeed similar to Mary's one from last year, only better ;)

You took the words out from my mouth!
Princess Marie looks wonderful.
Simple, but wonderful!

nice pics.
question for the experts: what or whom is fred bowing to in one of the pics?
by the way, i really like him smiling and in a uniform.

They go direct from their respective parts of Amalienborg. Yesterday we saw QMII and Prince Henrik drive out from their part passing the CPC´s part, then the part with the Amalienborg Museum and then arrive in front of the guestpart.

Sorry, I can´t remember all the names for the four different parts of Amalienborg, but I hope you get, what I mean :flowers:

Yes thank.But at last the queen and Prince then drive around the Place. They could also drive along the Colonnade which would be even shorter.

Thank you, Marika :flowers:

A few details I'd like to point out:

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 5 | Starlounge
Enjoy the way our Marie is looking at her Joachim. - As befits an adoring wife. ;)

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 7 | Starlounge

Compare the pic above with this of the Regent Couple:
De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 22 | Starlounge

Notice how Joachim and la Marie are standing. Marie stay at Joachim's right side as is both proper and correct.
QMII and PH merely turned around on their heels when they posed.
I like it when things are done with style. :cool:

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 14 | Starlounge
It's nice to see Frederik genuinely delighted. And having served in the army myself, I must nevertheless admit that the navy uniform is by far the smartest looking of all the branches.
I think Frederik is looking at his feet, for whatever reason, as there is nothing in front of him but Amalienborg Square.

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 28 | Starlounge
The guard has turned out, complete with the regimental colour. The red tunic combined with the white cord, connecting the bandollier and bearskin caps is gala-1. The finest uniform.
Their rifles are the stripped down version of the current standard rifle (M95), with a short magazine, for aestetic reasons. They have live ammunition in their rifles.

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 30 | Starlounge
The honour guard in the collonnade, where the cars with the guests stop. The guardsmen here are wearing the dark greatcoat, which is worn in cold weather.

De kongelige til Nytårskur på Amalienborg - Billede 31 | Starlounge
Inside the sentry boxes is a red cloak, used in very poor weather and sometimes in rain.
When the guards are relieved, the serving NCO always check the sentry box, to see whether a girlfriend should be hiding behind the cloak. A little tradition of the regiment.
The sentry boxes always carry the monogram of the reigning monarch.
A sentry always has the (knife-)bayonet fixed.

Last edited:
I noticed when I was watching the arrivals on tv, that Joachim was swinging his right arm 45 degrees in moore than one occasion.

A coincidence?

Sone one who is much hung on formalities will appriciate this I'm sure. :)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a distinction in English for the Danish words: Kur and Hof.
This is a New Year "kur", which means: to court someone, in this case the DRF. - That's where you are recieved by the DRF and greet them.
Now, the word "hof" can have two meanings, depending on how it's used. Usually you translate the word "hof" to court. I.e. the royal household, complete with LiW's and what not.
However, "holde hof" is also translated to court, but that meaning is very different. To "holde hof" is when the monarch precides over his/her court. I don't even believe that is done anymore. Not since Absolutism was abolished in 1848.
Do you get my meaning? - We are talking about very old expressions here.

There is the expression "to hold court" in English meaning jour fixes where the king surrounded himself with his courtiers and advisors while the queen sat with her ladies. On these occasions young people could be introduced to the king and queen by sponsors who already had the ear of the monarch and his spouse.

Yes thank.But at last the queen and Prince then drive around the Place. They could also drive along the Colonnade which would be even shorter.
Well, they could, but that would be against the way to drive. Even at Amalienborg Square one have to drive in the right side of the road as you do in Denmark :flowers:

Prince Henrik left his zipper open...
How embarrassing!! :ohmy:

:lol: Oh well, he mooned at us last summer, so this is nothing.
I think it was more likely that the zipper opened on its own. That's after all preferable to the trousers "opening" elsewhere, right? :p

Without Prince Henrik the photographers wouldn't have as many great photos and we wouldn't be entertained as much. :)

Thank you for the information Muhler. I know very little about the Danish court so I found your post very interesting.

The flyer is open.

Oh dear.:whistling:

I have just been reading an interview book about the prince consort Henrik by Stephanie Surrugue.

It is a very good book.

Oddly enough it states that a french magazine pointed out at the engagement with QMII, that Henry Montpezat wasn't a nobleman, but it turned out to be a mistake.

But it is contradicting a previous book where he is telling that he is not a nobleman.

Some secondcousin 100 years ago forgot to deliver a paper and lost the right to be a nobleman. But if the paper had been delivered his family wouldn't have been member of the nobility anyway. It was another branch of the family.

henri being noble, well, its at least a bit shady. he certainly wasnt "A class noble", rather "being made" noble because his family was somehow in the grey area noble - not noble.

I feel pity with the prince consort Henrik.

In some way he is too concerned with titels.

Besides his grey area nobility, he also wanted to change his titel from prince to prince consort some years ago.

It is difficult for me to understand.

I wonder if Mary was watching the event from TV?

Sorry, but Frederik looks abysmal :eek:

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think it is going to help Fred to deny that he turns up to occasions looking drunk or even stoned. His eyes are red here - and if that's the result of too much drinking, rather than getting stoned - that doesn't make it OK. It's an abuse of a privileged position not to take it seriously enough to NOT overindulge ahead of an event like this. Remember, this is Frederik AT WORK. If you or I turned up at work looking like this, there would be hell to pay.

It should be not just noticed, but discussed. I think Mary has in many ways been a real saviour for Fred - but if he's still looking trashed at an event six years into his marriage and with two more kids on the way, there's something seriously wrong with his attitude. I say: grow up and face reality, Crown Prince Frederik!

i would'n infer anything about anybody's look depending just on pics, which fix eternally the expression a person had for just one second.
all the more so as judging somebody's appearence is often a matter of personal taste.
i, for one, have found him smiling a lot. my guess was he had spent a very good new year's night. he seemed to me happily tired, if you get what i mean. but i am very conscious it is only a guess and that i absolutely do not know how things went in reality.
as for mary being a saviour under many respect, i am inclned to believe it, bc both frederick and the queen have hinted at this.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think it is going to help Fred to deny that he turns up to occasions looking drunk or even stoned. His eyes are red here - and if that's the result of too much drinking, rather than getting stoned - that doesn't make it OK. It's an abuse of a privileged position not to take it seriously enough to NOT overindulge ahead of an event like this. Remember, this is Frederik AT WORK. If you or I turned up at work looking like this, there would be hell to pay.

It should be not just noticed, but discussed. I think Mary has in many ways been a real saviour for Fred - but if he's still looking trashed at an event six years into his marriage and with two more kids on the way, there's something seriously wrong with his attitude. I say: grow up and face reality, Crown Prince Frederik!

He could be having a cold or some other illness. The flu is rife in Denmark at the moment. Would you chastise him for putting in an effort too? He could have sneezed a couple of times (from a cold or otherwise) - my eyes waters when that happens. As someone pointed out, there's plenty of bright lights, which can make your eyes water. There are many reasons why a person can have red or sore eyes - smoking pot or heavy drinking aren't the only two.

i would'n infer anything about anybody's look depending just on pics, which fix eternally the expression a person had for just one second.

I agree, and I never base a judgement on a single picture. But there are about 20 pictures of Fred at that event and he does not look sober. His eyes are red - not tiredness red - and the expression on his face isn't just happy, it's "merry". Fred is a very seasoned drinker - and I honestly think it doesn't help to make excuses for him. He is also thin. Of course this is conjecture, but no-one who is straight and sober looks like that!

i understand what you are saying and also - if I can add that - i appreciate that you are saying it out of concern and not out of spite or just for trashing him. i guess that this is the way to discuss things.

just two things:
one, as said before, the anti-monarchic media or the scandal tabloid would surely point out such an issue, if only to sell more copies?; i mean, not even a headline about new year's binge, when in the past they tried to sell the story of a supposed betrayal on frederik's part based on a picture of him on a yatch with another woman next to him just leaving out of the picture all the other guests?
second: drunhard people tend to develop a body which is the opposite of frederik's - which is, not thin at all, especially in the belly, no matter how many abds you work out in the gym. on the contrary, he was able to close that uniform full of bottons from the chest down without it stretching anywhere. so i wouldn't know.

i understand what you are saying and also - if I can add that - i appreciate that you are saying it out of concern and not out of spite or just for trashing him. i guess that this is the way to discuss things.

Absolutely out of concern! Thanks for not misunderstanding, Eliz. I remember Prince Charles' friend once saying that no-one ever criticised him. People of royal privilege generally aren't criticised by their immediate circle. Frederik comes from a culture where hard drinking has always been tolerated - historically. He is a sailor. They drink hard. He has access to a lot of money - and temptations. He has a history of being a sensitive and thoughtful person and has suffered depression. I believe he is actually vulnerable to alcohol, and if that's the case I hope his nearest and dearest are able to intervene. Unfortunately, families often 1. feel powerless (yes, even royals) 2. don't know what to do or 3. often go into denial. There is no reason to think that a royal family would necessarily act on a "difficult circumstance" - more so than the average family. The average family is often accidentally an "enabler" ...

I agree, unless Fred has a severe case of conjunctivitis, his eyes were really bloodshot. It's true a picture captures only a second of time, but that's regarding emotions and expressions portrayed in the picture, ie Charles and Di's balcony kiss, in a picture it looks so passionate, esp the way di leans over, in reality it lasted a split second
you either have bloodshot eyes or you don't!

I agree, unless Fred has a severe case of conjunctivitis, his eyes were really bloodshot. It's true a picture captures only a second of time, but that's regarding emotions and expressions portrayed in the picture, ie Charles and Di's balcony kiss, in a picture it looks so passionate, esp the way di leans over, in reality it lasted a split second
you either have bloodshot eyes or you don't!

I can assure you that the danish press would be all over him if there was any indication as his brother Joachim

Kongehuset

Back
Top Bottom